In an open market: 5 most valuable players in the world?

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

So, hypothetically, if Messi went from Barcelona to Man City, and he scored a goal that ensured them winning the title over us, he couldn't be one of my favorite players without me being a City fan? :lol:
If Messi had also spent over a decade at City, had led them to multiple league titles and become a club legend at the Etihad, then any United fan saying he's one of his favourite ever players would be laughed out the room. Especially with all the club legends we've been spoilt with at Old Trafford over the years.

zaafi

If Messi had also spent over a decade at City, had led them to multiple league titles and become a club legend at the Etihad, then any United fan saying he's one of his favourite ever players would be laughed out the room. Especially with all the club legends we've been spoilt with at Old Trafford over the years.
That's not what I asked, and you're just twisting arguments now to back up yours. Messi destroyed us in two CL finals, but he's still one of my favorite players. And probably yours. And almost every football fan in the world. So why is that? I was sad when we lost, and by your logic I should hate him. Football is about entertainment, but your neanderthal way of looking at things is pretty sad, to be honest. "OPPONENT SCORE. ME HATE OPPONENT".

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Just quibbling here, but it's not "Håland", it's "Haaland". In Norwegian "aa" is basically completely equivalent to "å" in terms of pronounciation. Both are used in names (ie, there are other people called "Håland", which is pronounced exactly the same as "Haaland"). If you have a family name that begins with "Aa" then it's treated as an "å" for purposes of alphabetical sorting.

They're not freely interchangeable though - if your name is spelled using "aa", then that's how it's spelled.
Blame @Invictus!

He was originally named Håland though, he switched it to Haaland as he prepared for a successful international career (Erling Braut Håland, son of Alf-Inge Rasdal Håland).

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
But his role wasn't always a goal scorer. He was LB first season.

He was more a creative winger the next. Then the last 2 he's been improving his finishing hence the improved returns.
Guy you're responding to is a well known room temperature IQ poster. Saka is a totally fair option to raise if multiple people are raising Kvaratskhelia - a player 6 months older and in his first breakout season with identical domestic stats (in a weaker league), whilst Saka is now in his second.

My top 5 would probably be:

Mbappe
---
Vinicius Jr
Haaland
Pedri
Saka/Musiala

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I double checked Saka's stats just to be sure. He has been playing for four full seasons now. FOUR!!

In those, he has scored 3, 4, 12, 12 goals. He's absolutely in a good trajectory right now but you don't blow your top 5 load just on promise or a clear purple patch. Or if you do then you're a dunce (Darwin, Antony, etc).
It's not the top 5 best players in the world though - it's the top 5 who are worth the most. A 21 year old, English, left-footed, right winger as good as Saka is worth a hell of a lot.

TransferMarkt have him in their top 5 - which I would assume is based on some calculations of sorts.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

That's not what I asked, and you're just twisting arguments now to back up yours. Messi destroyed us in two CL finals, but he's still one of my favorite players. And probably yours. And almost every football fan in the world. So why is that? I was sad when we lost, and by your logic I should hate him. Football is about entertainment, but your neanderthal way of looking at things is pretty sad, to be honest. "OPPONENT SCORE. ME HATE OPPONENT".
Jesus. You're losing your head here mate. All I'm saying is it's weird that one of your favourite ever players is a club legend for our local rivals. The fact that he was the guy who scored that stoppage time winner vs QPR adds to the peculiarity of the situation, but it's not the main reason I pulled you up on it: I would've had the same reaction if you had said Gerrard is one of your all time favourites. I'm going to leave you to cool off before you break your keyboard typing in caps.

mshnsh

Guy you're responding to is a well known room temperature IQ poster. Saka is a totally fair option to raise if multiple people are raising Kvaratskhelia - a player 6 months older and in his first breakout season with identical domestic stats (in a weaker league), whilst Saka is now in his second.

My top 5 would probably be:

Mbappe
---
Vinicius Jr
Haaland
Pedri
Saka/Musiala
My question again is what is the basis of that gap between Mbappe and others?

Mbappe has been absolutely underwhelming for PSG this season. The French media and pundits hardly criticise him but that is a fact.

Vini, Saka, Musiala, and definitely Haaland are having better seasons than him. Ofcourse, I think he is a better allround player than all those except imo Musiala. Haaland has mad goal stats although Abu Dhabi aren't better off than last season.

mshnsh

I really like this “anonymous until his penalty in the final” (I’ve seen this argument quite a lot, hence me commenting on it). More often than not players who score a hat-trick start performing much better after the first goal.

Haaland had been average before his first goal against Leipzig, for example.
But even after scoring he really wasn't a consistent threat. Outside his additional 2 goals, he had one run from which he was dispossessed eventually.

As for Haaland, he is 95% of the time anonymous outside scoring.

zaafi

Jesus. You're losing your head here mate. All I'm saying is it's weird that one of your favourite ever players is a club legend for our local rivals. The fact that he was the guy who scored that stoppage time winner vs QPR adds to the peculiarity of the situation, but it's not the main reason I pulled you up on it: I would've had the same reaction if you had said Gerrard is one of your all time favourites. I'm going to leave you to cool off before you break your keyboard typing in caps.
Not losing my head, mate. You missed my point with the usage of caps :lol: It was to illustrate your neanderthal thinking and that's how you came across in my mind, screaming and shouting because an opponent's player scored against you. I'd appreciate if you put me on ignore because I'm not interested in seeing this "you're 100% a blue" each time I post something about a current or ex-City player.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I'd rate Mbappe and Haaland as equal in value, they are far ahead of everyone else, so its going to be 200-250m, depends on buying/selling club.

After these two, the rest would be Vinicius Jnr, Musiala, Saka, Osimhen, Kvaratshkelia, Odegaard, Pedri, Gavi, Bellingham, Foden, Rashford etc in no particular order, for around 120-160m range.

Last edited:

justsomebloke

Blame @Invictus!

He was originally named Håland though, he switched it to Haaland as he prepared for a successful international career (Erling Braut Håland, son of Alf-Inge Rasdal Håland).
Whaddya know, I didn't know that. That's dedication I suppose.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
It's not the top 5 best players in the world though - it's the top 5 who are worth the most. A 21 year old, English, left-footed, right winger as good as Saka is worth a hell of a lot.

TransferMarkt have him in their top 5 - which I would assume is based on some calculations of sorts.
I can't help feeling TransferMkt is going along the flavour of the month(s) stats gathering. I'm sure Jared Bowen would have been their pick of top 5 at exactly this point last season. Personally if I want top class players I would like better metrics.

Tchoumani, Camavinga are much more valuable to me along with the likes of Pedri and even Alisson. But it's all about opinions I suppose (because I've already published Saka's unimpressive goals stats). And let's not bring xG or xGA into it as Darwin piddles all over Saka there this season.

marktan

Is this player value with no club and country bias and no contract status influence (aka some clubs have more power to hold, some nationalities are just viewed as more valuable, contract status can reduce price)? Just pure what players should be the most valuable based on ability, potential and age? For me I'd say:
  1. Mbappe
  2. Haaland
  3. Vinicius Jr
  4. Pedri
  5. Musiala
  6. Osimhen
  7. Kvaratshkelia
  8. Saka
  9. Gavi
  10. Bellingham
Top 10 for me.

Edit: forgot Odegaard. Gotta fit him in somewhere. Probably below Saka.
This is a very good list, I'd agree with most of and saves me having to think.

Personally I'd bump Musiala up a place and Saka up 2 or 3 places as well.

Instead of Gavi I'd put Reece James in there. I'd probably bump Kvara for Camavinga too.

So:
1. Mbappe
2. Halaand
3. Vinicius
4. Musiala
5. Saka
6. Pedri
7. Osimhen
8. Reece James
9. Camavinga
10. Bellingham

Last edited:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I double checked Saka's stats just to be sure. He has been playing for four full seasons now. FOUR!!

In those, he has scored 3, 4, 12, 12 goals. He's absolutely in a good trajectory right now but you don't blow your top 5 load just on promise or a clear purple patch. Or if you do then you're a dunce (Darwin, Antony, etc).
You're only as good as your last 5 games on the Caf

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
What are you basing this on?

He has been underwhelming this season.
As for the WC, he was anonymous in the QF, SF and until his penalty in the final.

But otherwise I agree. Mbappe is the better footballer. Its like Henry vs RVN or Messi vs Cristiano.
I have precisely zero interest in debating with a rabid Messi fanboy whose only purpose on this forum is to fellate him and drag him into every conversation. No thanks.

Saka is surely top 5??

I'd say the top 5 are him, Mbappe, Haaland, Vinicius and Pedri.
Saka clearly is. He's avery productive and super young plus English to boot.

I'm not sure if I'd include Pedri in Top 5 though.

mshnsh

I have precisely zero interest in debating with a rabid Messi fanboy whose only purpose on this forum is to fellate him and drag him into every conversation. No thanks.

Saka clearly is. He's avery productive and super young plus English to boot.

I'm not sure if I'd include Pedri in Top 5 though.
Ok rabid (insert player name) fanboy whose only purpose is to fellate (insert player name) and drag him into every conversation.

Suedesi

You're obsessed. Sort yourself out. Look at my posting history and tell me how I am a City fan. I literally told you yesterday I despise City. I loved Agüero back in his Atletico days, and the same for Falcao, van Nistelrooy and van Persie. I'm a sucker for these strikers. The clubs they've played for are irrelevant to me. You've really got some issues :wenger:

Edit; Another favorite player of mine is Messi who single-handedly destroyed us in two CL finals. Am I a Barcelona fan now then?
Take a chill pill dude, you're coming across as a child.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This is a very good list, I'd agree with most of and saves me having to think.

Personally I'd bump Musiala up a place and Saka up 2 or 3 places as well.

Instead of Gavi I'd put Reece James in there. I'd probably bump Kvara for Camavinga too.

So:
1. Mbappe
2. Halaand
3. Vinicius
4. Musiala
5. Saka
6. Pedri
7. Osimhen
8. Reece James
9. Camavinga
10. Bellingham
Top 3 are easy and clear picks for me, past that the order gets fuzzy. Pedri for me is the most unique/exceptional young player with the highest potential. Musiala also ridiculous but hasn't dominated like Pedri yet.

Reece James' injuries and Camavinga's inconsistencies holding them back, but also definitely wouldn't bump Kvara out. It's only been half a season, but the guy just looks the best player on the pitch every time he steps on it. The Georgian Best is what they call him... Attackers will always just be more valuable than defensive players, though the gap isn't as big as it used to be.

Erik the Red

He is behind both at the same age in terms of production. Are there any factors im not aware of that would indicate that is about to change?
Musiala's output is clearly behind Haaland and Mbappe at a similar age. I think the main point the previous poster was saying is he has the greater potential. Musiala reminds me a lot of Messi with his dribbling style. He is not particularly strong or well built, but he manages to just glide past defenders like they are not there, whilst maintaining his perfect balance. He just now needs to improve his decision making and output, and he has the potential to achieve similar things to Messi over his career. Messi and Ronaldo also didn't have great stats early in their career, and Mbappe and Haaland in particular are massively outperforming them in that respect. However, Haaland has a particular skillset, speed, strength, etc. that he capitalises on, but without good service, Haaland struggles to influence games. He is all about scoring goals, and he will get a lot of them, and I fully expect him to break lots of scoring records. Gareth Bale managed to elevate a Welsh team to a Euros semifinal, but I'm not sure if Haaland could do the same with Norway, event though they have Odergaard as well. In a set up where he gets five chance a game, he is going to make hay, and that is why he did well at Dortmund, against rubbish Bundesliga defences, and is doing well at a dominant city side. Talking about influencing games, Musiala can do that more than Mbappe or Haaland, but I think he would take a while to settle in the English due to the physical nature of the league. Number 10 isn't a priority for us right now, but I hope we are tracking this kid well...

troylocker

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Maybe the fact he's been injured. Maybe the fact he has to share the goals around with Messi and Neymar. Or maybe it's because he was busy winning the golden boot and scoring a hatrick in the final against Argentina at the World Cup while Haaland had his feet up waiting to stat pad against Leipzig and Burnley.

Haaland is obviously a ridiculous striker, but he's scored in exactly the same number of club games as Marcus Rashford this season (who also had the World Cup to deal with). If he helps City overcome Arsenal in the league or finally win the CL then fair enough, but it's not a stretch to say he hasn't made them a better team or that around half of his goals are absolutely meaningless.
He's played 200 minutes less than Haaland this season. It must be such a bummer for him to be the main man in an attacking trio with Neymar and Messi, in a league that will not be top 5 in Europe next season.
How do you rate Mbappe's 5 goals and staying on the pitch for a full 90 against lvl 6 amateurs in the French cup? Same level of statpadding as Leipzig in the KO-stages of the CL?
Burnley would be a midtable team in Ligue 1 btw.

mu4c_20le

Didn't he play left wingback in his first two seasons?

DWelbz19

I can't help feeling TransferMkt is going along the flavour of the month(s) stats gathering. I'm sure Jared Bowen would have been their pick of top 5 at exactly this point last season. Personally if I want top class players I would like better metrics.

Tchoumani, Camavinga are much more valuable to me along with the likes of Pedri and even Alisson. But it's all about opinions I suppose (because I've already published Saka's unimpressive goals stats). And let's not bring xG or xGA into it as Darwin piddles all over Saka there this season.
:lol:

troylocker

Mbappé has pretty much the same goal per 90mn stat in the CL against top teams so this argument is getting really old in 2023. On top of that and since he's not a striker, he has to share his goals with more players (Neymar, Di Maria before that, Messi now) compared to Haaland who is the tip of City's offense (and Dortumund before that).

Ligue 1 is a league that has huge coaching issues and a lack of quality especially in the midfield. But if there's one thing that Ligue 1 knows how to do is shape top defenders. Pretty much any top team in europe has a center back who played in Ligue 1.
Mbappe in the CL for PSG: 0,72 goals/90
Mbappe in the CL for PSG against top 5 league teams: 0,54 goals/90
Mbappe in Ligue 1 and Coupe de France for PSG: 1,0 goals/90

That might be pretty much the same to you, but it isn't for most.

Ligue 1 will be ranked outside top 5 Leagues in Europe next season. Both Eredivisie and the Portuguese league has a chance to surpass them.
The imbalance in strength and economy between PSG and the rest of Ligue 1 is probably the worst we have seen in a top 10 league in a long time if not ever.

Last edited:

Hackman2210

Mbappe / Haaland / Rashford / Osimen / Martinez??
Is there a better defender in the world right now than Martinez - If PSG wanted him he'd be over £100m for sure.
Bellingham is in there somewhere as well - I think the Prem is the cutting edge of football if you can make it there you can make it anywhere.

Trezeguet17

Would be so interesting to know for which sum Bayern would sell Musiala. I don‘t think 200m would be enough

DWelbz19

You compared 21 year old Bukayo Saka leading Arsenal to a PL title to Jarrod Bowen. You aren't getting any insight.

troylocker

Take his unbeatable record of 9 goals in a game at the U20 World Cup: they still failed to qualify from the group stage. He just battered Honduras into fourth place.

I'm not saying I wouldn't bite your hand off to have him upfront over Wout Weghorst, but Mbappé almost single-handedly turned around a World Cup final. I can't see robocop doing anything like it.
Almost....
Are basically saying Mbappes penaltygoals in the WC-final in the end was just as meaningless as Haalands 9 goals against Hunduras in the U20 WC?
And the guy who can score 9 in a match couldn't score 3, including 2 penalties, in a match if he played for the reigning world champions?

If Robocop equals Haaland that is.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
You compared 21 year old Bukayo Saka leading Arsenal to a PL title to Jarrod Bowen. You aren't getting any insight.
:lol: WTF have the likes of Martinelli, Odegard, Saliba, etc, got to do with Saka's 12 PL goals this season? So what if West Ham weren't challenging for the PL last season, it doesn't lessen Bowen's achievement - it enhances it. Seriously. :lol:

If you want ridiculous, irrelevant, examples then Almiron has 11 PL goals. Almost similar to Saka. Newcastle were relegation favourites before his wonderful contribution. :rolleyes: Where's his fanfare?

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Would be so interesting to know for which sum Bayern would sell Musiala. I don‘t think 200m would be enough
He’s priceless. You’d have to resort to violence to get him from us.

Abraxas

I don't know how transfermkt get their numbers but I'm not altogether convinced by them.

Even when you look at lower tier clubs, their biggest talents will be 20-30 million. It doesn't seem to take account of enough variables to form an accurate valuation. Some of it seems like fees from the mid 2000s.

marktan

Top 3 are easy and clear picks for me, past that the order gets fuzzy. Pedri for me is the most unique/exceptional young player with the highest potential. Musiala also ridiculous but hasn't dominated like Pedri yet.

Reece James' injuries and Camavinga's inconsistencies holding them back, but also definitely wouldn't bump Kvara out. It's only been half a season, but the guy just looks the best player on the pitch every time he steps on it. The Georgian Best is what they call him... Attackers will always just be more valuable than defensive players, though the gap isn't as big as it used to be.
Tbf I'm fairly sure Reece James could play pretty much any position and be good at it. Built like a tank, excellent on the ball, shot like a bullet.. sometimes I think RB is a waste for him.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
True but its a long time for him to be nonexistent. Personally I feel both of them are overrated.
They aren't overrated.

They are just your normal world class players, people in their mind compare them to Messi and Ronaldo, and call them overrated cause they don't show the consistency that Messi and Ronaldo did.
Reality says other than Messi and Ronaldo, the world class players before them didn't show those levels of consistency either, 4-5 years at the top, then drop to the point that they aren't great anymore.

People are now calling Salah and VVD overrated cause they aren't anywhere the level they were 3 years ago, when in reality they are pretty much what top players looked like before Ronaldo and Messi. Which is why I can't wait for them to retire, so we can go back to proper normal standards.

Last edited:

Hammondo

They aren't overrated.

They are just your normal world class players, people in their mind compare them to Messi and Ronaldo, and call them overrated cause they don't show the consistency that Messi and Ronaldo did.
Reality says other than Messi and Ronaldo, the world class players before them didn't show those levels of consistency either, 4-5 years at the top, then drop to the point that they aren't great anymore.

People are now calling Salah and VVD overrated cause they aren't anywhere the level they were 3 years ago, when in reality they are pretty much what top players looked like before Ronaldo and Messi. Which is why I can't wait for them to retire, so we can go back to normal standards.
I think a world class player has a top level overall game, not just in moments.