In hindsight, Mourinho was right about a few things?

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Mourinho isn't a manager, he is a head coach and has zero skills that should lead any club to let hom enact strong changes because everything he does is for his own short term interest which can be a good thing if your club has strong foundations but will be disastrous if it doesn't.

The only type of head coach or manager that would have been ideal following SAF was someone selfess that would be ready to put the club first instead of himself, those people are very rare. Even today there is maybe Ancelotti among top head coaches and he has zero experience as a manager.
Mourinho is not only a tactician but also a great man manager in general.

He just doesn't get along with certain type of characters, which can be said about every big manager. Ferguson has fallen out with numerous big names(Stam, Beckham, Keane, Ruud) but he had so much power at United that those players were immediately kicked out so the toxicity didn't last long. Most players love Mourinho. Recently, big modern players like Kane, Son, Dybala loved him in his last 2 jobs. Players who have problems with him are the likes of Pogba, Martial and Rashford. Mourinho was spot on about every single one of them!

Many accomplished players like Zlatan, Drogba, Lampard, Terry, Materazzi and recently Andreas Pereira(the Rio interview) absolutely loved his man management and winning mentality. Basically, the unprofessional crybabies that don't get along with Mourinho are terrible for the dressing room of any Football club and should be nowhere near the club anyways.

There's nothing like "selfless" in this industry. Every manager including Ancelotti, Ferguson and Ten Hag is/was working for their own interests. It's pure business, ego and self obsession. People in this industry live in their own bubble and are extremely entitled and self serving by nature.

Lemoor

He just doesn't get along with certain type of characters, which can be said about every manager. Ferguson has fallen out with numerous big names(Stam, Beckham, Keane, Ruud) but he had so much power at United that those players were immediately kicked out so the toxicity didn't last long. Most players love Mourinho. Recently, big modern players like Kane, Son, Dybala loved him in his last 2 jobs. Players who have problems with him are the likes of Pogba, Martial and Rashford. Mourinho was spot on about every single one of them!
It never stops making me laugh that Mourinho is apparently spot on both when he rated Rashford over everyone else on page one and when he didn't rate Rashford at all on page six.

GueRed

Rashford not being a natural CF
Shaw. Pogba. Wanting to sell Martial and was crucified by large sections of the fanbase at the time for it.. Babies.

It's almost as if Jose Mourinho Manchester United manager who worked with these characters day in day out knew all along what he was talking about. Who'd knew

Bondi77

Rashford not being a natural CF
Shaw. Pogba. Wanting to sell Martial and was crucified by large sections of the fanbase at the time for it.. Babies.

It's almost as if Jose Mourinho Manchester United manager who worked with these characters day in day out knew all along what he was talking about. Who'd knew
How was he right about Shaw????
He put shit on him all the time he was there and when we pissed the whining cnut out Luke came into his own and was one of the best in the league.
Even Martial was really good until the chosen cnut brought Alexis in and that pissed Martial right off.
And he realised Marcus wasn't a natural CF.....if he ever listened to the fans I am sure one of us would have informed him that was the case.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

How was he right about Shaw????
He put shit on him all the time he was there and when we pissed the whining cnut out Luke came into his own and was one of the best in the league.
Even Martial was really good until the chosen cnut brought Alexis in and that pissed Martial right off.
And he realised Marcus wasn't a natural CF.....if he ever listened to the fans I am sure one of us would have informed him that was the case.
Nah, if we're being honest, a lot of people on here and in the media were giving him stick for trying to change Rashford's position. To the point where Rashford himself gave an interview stating that he doesn't have an issue with it and sees it as a crucial part in his development as a player. His actual mistake was the purchase of Lukaku to be the big man upfront, which meant that Rashford had to become more of a provider from the left. Also, signing Alexis was a disaster-class of epic proportions because the Chilean had lost that explosive bit of acceleration in the first couple of steps that allowed him to be so dangerous. You could already see it that season at Arsenal, but the club fell again into the trap of buying the first available big name. But... pissing off Martial? Like really? I didn't know we shouldn't try to add quality and depth to the first team because some of the boys don't feel like fighting for their spot.

TsuWave

Some of the players people are listing kept him in a job here for longer than he should have been. I don’t even know why people feel the need to do these exercises.

Mourinho has been washed up for a long time. It’s OK to move on

Semigoodlookin

Both things can be true. Mourinho was correct about many things in the club, but is also washed up and was a big problem himself.

Lentwood

Yeah of course he was right but so what? It didn't take a genius to see that we had major issues with the backroom team and that we had too many bad eggs in the dressing room.

Problem was, he exacerbated the situation and don't forget, it was Jose who signed Pogba and Sanchez!

Maticmaker

Both things can be true. Mourinho was correct about many things in the club, but is also washed up and was a big problem himself.
Not exactly washed up, but he was on the other side of his 'peak' (Treble with Inter) and United always going to be his last hurrah in the UK, if he could pull it off OK, if not .....!!
Jose never attempted to put down roots in the NW and was living out of a suitcase (but in a penthouse suite) at a nearby Manchester Hotel, whilst he decided to stay or go, for the entire two and half years when he was our manager.

lysglimt

Scout
There is no doubt he failed here. Signing Sanchez, Mikhitariyan, a fading Ibra (most will disagree on this, I get it) and was the guy who wanted to sign Maguire next.

But he did get a few things right on the money. Called out Pogba for who he was years ago as well as Martial. Also, he favored Rashford over any other player even during his poor runs and was adamant he wasn't a striker.
I see you left out his treatment of Luke Shaw - probably just as well

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
There's got to be more to the story. Even somebody as petty as Jose wouldn't just walk in and start picking on a senior player for literally no reason on day 1.
Jose is that petty though

Chumpsbechumps

There's got to be more to the story. Even somebody as petty as Jose wouldn't just walk in and start picking on a senior player for literally no reason on day 1.
some suggest there was more to it. That Bastian took the piss under LVG, picking and choosing when he was fit and flying back to Germany a fair bit as it suited him.

Gavinb33

Yeah he was probably right in some ways, but he was also wrong in a lot of ways too, you can cherry pick the good bits that suit your argument but then leave the bad bits that do not out to try and prove a point as several posters have done in this thread

Chumpsbechumps

Yeah he was probably right in some ways, but he was also wrong in a lot of ways too, you can cherry pick the good bits that suit your argument but then leave the bad bits that do not out to try and prove a point as several posters have done in this thread
I don’t think it matters to most fans once a manager wins or a player does well for the club.

lex talionis

Mourinho dressed well, I'll give him that. But as far as his management of United is concerned, he most of his big decisions were the wrong decisions. But I'm sure he managed some small details brilliantly.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Mourinho dressed well, I'll give him that. But as far as his management of United is concerned, he most of his big decisions were the wrong decisions. But I'm sure he managed some small details brilliantly.
Well he did win the Europa league so he definitely got a few things right but overall not so much

Well he did win the Europa league so he definitely got a few things right but overall not so much
He got plenty right that first year for me, only lost 5 in the league but we drew so many games where we absolutely twatted teams. Felt we could beat anyone too.

However, once Zlatan got injured, he got so much wrong so yeah, even if he was right about Pogba/Martial, he was so wrong about Pogba too (he bought him), so wrong about Lukaku it was embarrassing, so wrong about what a dickhead he was with Luke Shaw, so wrong to be such a dickhead to Bastian, wrong about Lindelöf, Bailly, Sanchez.

Bondi77

Hasn't Shaw since admitted it was the pressure put on him by Mourinho, that turned him around?
Turned him around from what?
He came to Utd as a teenager that had already been selected in the Premier League team of the season and was starting to look great under LVG until he was physically assaulted on a football pitch that nearly resulted in having his leg amputated and while he is coming back from that old Jose belittles him in public and says he has to coach him from the sideline.
Jose was a cancer to the club and thank feck we had it cut out.

Apokalips

Some of the players people are listing kept him in a job here for longer than he should have been. I don’t even know why people feel the need to do these exercises.

Mourinho has been washed up for a long time. It’s OK to move on
Simple and accurate. I have no idea why Mourinho at United is ever spoken about, especially in glowing terms. He was a prick and past it and those that he talked down actually kept him in a job and were excellent at times under Ole.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Of course he was right about a few things. He‘s a miserable twat who does nothing but complain about everything and everyone. Would be shocking if he wasn’t right every now and then.