g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

In hindsight, was Mourinho a success?

Was Mourinho a success?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Smores

Once the petty bitchiness has calmed down (apart from the two LvG fanboys in here) he'll be categorised as a limited success i think.

I agree with what someone send above if he'd have left in the summer he'd have been a success but going into the 3rd season the criteria changed from steadying the ship to actually challenging so i think 2/3 seasons success but he's failed in his overall aim.

wolvored

Depends how you define success. At Utd in 2 1/2 years he won 2 minor cups and finished 2nd. City Chelsea and Utd apart every other club wuld have loved this. To the 3 clubs mentioned its not good enough and the fact it was also a decent start and was getting worse every year after, vindicates his sacking.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
- Get hired to win big titles

- fail to even mount a challenge for any of them

- conclusion simple and clear: complete failure.

Judas

Open to offers
If he'd left at the end of last season I'd have said yes to a certain degree. He'd done as well as probably possibly, CL exit aside.

But the toxic atmosphere all summer and this absolute mess of a season means he can't be called one.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
No. He left the club as poorly as he found it. His toxic behaviour destroyed more than anything else

Himannv

Not sure how anyone can say he's worse than Moyes tbh. Were people not watching that car crash of a reign or something? This guy actually had a couple of passable seasons before the car crash happened, while Moyes was just terrible all the time.

Moyes took a title winning team and finished 7th, while making a mockery of the club in front of the media, players, opposition, and our own fans as well. His work in the transfer market would have been funny if we weren't the ones being made a laughing stock of.

Mourinho was awful and we needed him out, but worse than Moyes? Sorry, you just don't remember that time well if you think that.

Balerion

Depends how one defines success. Most successful manager since SAF when it comes to trophies, took United 2nd last season, winning Europa League in his first. I'd say despite the way this season crashed, success overall in post-SAF era as no one did better so far.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Can argue that on his 1st and 2nd season.

1st season, some positive signs, progress on the pitch, felt good watching us again and it made me believe again anyways.
2nd season, some good moments, some low points, some decent football, some shit football, 2nd in the league, something to build on.
3rd season, ugh

Can't understand why he couldn't see what was in front of him...If something is not working, you don't become so stubborn, you change it! You adapt! (Do not reply with the usual, he's a cnut, toxic blah blah blah)

norm87cro

Completed United's europiean trophy haul and managed to qualify for the CL in both seasons he was in charge. Arguably we we're not going to qualify this season but now we'll never know. Comparing him to be worse than Moyes is just plane insulting. In football history he is going to be regarded as a success and his Europa League triumph with us is his 4. in Europe (Same as Fergie) as a manager. Nobody outside United's fanbase is going to judge him as not being a success because of one bad half a season. Offcourse not a complete success but a complete no just seems over the top from a fanbase that had to endure some dire football this season.

Treble

If people were told at the start of Jose's stint to expect what actually happened, most wouild have been very disappointed.

No real challenge for any big trophy.

So, no.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Yeah he failed according to me and the vast majority of Utd fans.

It doesn't matter what our points tally would have got us 3 or 4 years ago. I'm saying he was here for 3 seasons and in all of them we were out of any sort of title challenge by Xmas.

This season we were out of a title challenge by August for feck sake.
You're crazy if you think this squad can compete with that city team for the entire season. We were neck and neck at the start last season then fell off I think in November. Take a look at the two squads and tell me which team is better and who has more depth.

Revan

Assumptionman
1. LVG
2. Moyes
3. Mourinho

He gets a bronze medal in the 'best permanent manager since Fergie' competition. Bronze isn't that bad.
He was actually better than both of them (at least better than Moyes), but still quite bad.

Eric's Seagull

Personally I think Jose was a failure at out club. When the guy arrived with that massive ego and large list of trophies he constantly liked to remind us of I thought that he was going to get us up there travelling for the biggest trophies. As he was a manager that prior to now won the league in bis second season at a club he was he was going to win the league in year two. Don't get me wrong he won us 2 trophies, a trophy is a trophy at the end of the day but bi would class the League Cup and Uefa Cup (Europe league), if he hadn't won that he would have been sacked earlier which in hindsight may have been a good thing. They are second tier trophies and not what elite club's should be aiming for. I also thought he would have one us one league championship here here.

2nd place could be classed by some as decent but to be 19 points behind City in the process is an embarrassment, but I thought we were really going to kick on from this sadly it did not happen. When things are going well he is great but when things got to sh!te so does he.

I don't personally think he was given enough funds but considering what he was given there is no way her should have gave us the results we did this season.

If you compare it against what he was won in his career his time here in my opinion was a resounding failure.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
No. He left the club as poorly as he found it. His toxic behaviour destroyed more than anything else
He took a club that finished 5th on joined point with City and just missed out on 4th due to goal difference. He left us languishing 11 points behind fourth covered into a sea of negativity and toxicity.

I wouldn't say he left us as he found out.

JeffBoomTetris

No.

His objectives were to stabilise the ship and mount a proper title challenge. Tbf, by the end of last season he'd managed to stabilise the club. But, he, true to his colours, undid all the good work in a few months of this season.

Two mickey mouse trophies and a 2nd place finish 20 points behind the champions don't fix that

saivet

Clubs nearly going out then winning the cup happens all the time.
You're right, but to me his EL win was the best thing he did here and even that wasn't impressive.

Djemba-Djemba

You're crazy if you think this squad can compete with that city team for the entire season. We were neck and neck at the start last season then fell off I think in November. Take a look at the two squads and tell me which team is better and who has more depth.
I think our squad is better than 6th with 0 goal difference and playing like complete shit all this season.

What excuse do you have for this season?

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
The board should have never allowed it to get this far, especially now they’ve given him his full pay off anyway. It was obvious in the summer what was going to happen and the season has been a disgrace from the start.

Anything that came before that could be seen as a success was undone. He got us back in the Champions League. Now we’re out of it again next season barring another Ole miracle. He got us to second in the league behind a record-breaking side. Now we’re a distant sixth. He made us hard to beat. Now we get beaten regularly. He won us two trophies in his first season. Then looked like winning nothing.

We are lower in the league than when LVG left. The squad is a mess of mercenaries on ridiculous wages and £90m players who can’t control a football. He has not been a success but it’s not his fault alone and the other culprits are still at the club.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He took a club that finished 5th on joined point with City and just missed out on 4th due to goal difference. He left us languishing 11 points behind fourth covered into a sea of negativity and toxicity.

I wouldn't say he left us as he found out.
You mean he made it even worse then...

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I think our squad is better than 6th with 0 goal difference and playing like complete shit all this season.

What excuse do you have for this season?
This season? Blame is on everyone. Board for not backing him more, him for being bitchy about it and it reflecting on his performance, players for throwing their toys out of the pram.

To belittle his second season is absurd though. We really should have built on that second season and provided more options in the squad.

Moonred

Failed at building the club, failed at playing with any remotely likeable style, failed at acquisitions, failed at youth development, failed at winning. Succeeded in being better than Moyes, Succeeded in getting sacked before mathematically being out of cl malarkey, succeeded at being the most whiny bitch in the history of United, succeeded in getting the EL.

In hindsight, a massive failure and shouldn’t have been appointed. Credit for exposing rigid dolts in our fanbase as well. Well done.

Last edited:

WensleyMU

If nothing else he exposed a section of our fan base as little more than fair weather fans.

Strachans Cigar

Winning the Europa League and League Cup in the first year was a success - it was more successful than City's finishing 2nd in my opinion.

The next year finishing 2nd was good. We obviously had a poor defence so we were balanced to suit the problem. Some didn't really like the way we played but coming 2nd to a City team that finally clicked was good - especially when the likes of Liverpool and Spurs were looking good but finished behind us.

The problem we have, is that Mourinho spat his dummy out at the beginning on the third season. He wanted players he did not get, and went on a mission to prove this. We stopped his balance and went more attacking, which did look a bit better on the eye to begin with, but our defence really suffered. On top of this, he was messing around with the back each game and being political playing midfielders there and giving digs to the board constantly.

It then dawned on him that Liverpool were also going to be a heavy hitter also. The squad needed investment and he wasn't getting it. He just signed a new contract so may as well walk with a payoff - he proceeded to do the tried and tested falling out with players, being miserable, more digs at the board until he was fired.

Had he been backed heavily at the end of last season, maybe. The problem is, I don't believe Jose can build a team like we need. He's great when things are going well, his arrogance is what earned him The Special One - but he's also a brat when things aren't going his way.

We need someone to look at the long term picture and build a team. We then need a COACH to see this vision and to focus on training, tactics and motivating the players.
A very fair & accurate assessment I think.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He was dealing with some adverse conditions above and below him. In his first year he won two second-tier trophies, which was our level let's face it, and finished second last year which was also as good as it was going to get.

His win ratio is bettered only by Fergie and Walter Crickmer in the 30s and he came in off the back of two disappointing managerial stints, so taken in the round it hasn't been a total and complete disaster. However the football was mostly poor and the way in which the wheels came off this year, in almost the exact fashion many oppos and even some United fans predicted from the start, was very disappointing.

So not a total disaster but not a success either.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
People actually think Moyes was better? :lol:

Joseunited

We've regressed,He's put us a couple of years behind the "top clubs" in the league.That's how much he's fecked us up, we aren't one of the elite clubs anymore, we're playing fecking catch up, which in my opinion is a bloody disgrace.

His tenure needs to be never talked about ever again because his name does not deserve to be associated with this great club.
I'll carry that burden with my username.

Greck

When did that ever happen?

Please don't confuse coming second, 20 points off the winners with being title contenders.
Yeah true. Not sure what I was thinking when I typed it. Even I don't believe that. 2nd is typically a title contention spot but we were never realistically in contention

Fracture90

I don't think he was imo. He started off from the get-go continuing with his Chelsea 3rd season antics and poor football.

CM

Not a chance. The Europa League win covered for an otherwise poor first season and finishing a distant 2nd was not the job he was brought in to do.

If he could have done that in addition to playing good football, integrating youth and keeping his mouth shut then maybe it would've been a slightly different story and he probably would've seen out the season. It was never likely to end well though, Mourinho's status as a top manager was already diminishing before we appointed him - which is never a great sign for someone whose entire appeal is centred on instant success and trophies.

Fracture90

He should have been fired after that horrible performance and especially after that post match interview vs. Sevilla.

2 tin foil cups won and one 2nd spot finish in a season where we haven't challenged for the title, is simply not good enough and can't be considered as success imo considering the money spent and manager's wages/reputation.