India politics thread

Bestie07

My mind just can't comprehend why the effects of covid have not been a lot worse in our country. I understand that government has been fudging the data, but we were told to be prepared for much worse. Our hospitals will be overflowing by September was the warning, but that has clearly not happened.

7 people in my family got covid (including 55+ diabetics) and all of us recovered with simple over the counter drugs. I have had several of my relatives catch it too and they recovered as well. I went to Lucknow old market yesterday and looking at the crowds, there is no way that covid didn't spend like wildfire there. Still the death count remains extremely low for a country of our size - About 30000 people die daily in India and currently only 600(official, probably more by several factors but still not as much as was predicted) of them are due to covid.

I just can't get my head around this. Indians clearly have been able to fight off the virus better than the western countries. Did the BCG vaccinations we got really protect us?

coolredwine

lameredboots
My mind just can't comprehend why the effects of covid have not been a lot worse in our country. I understand that government has been fudging the data, but we were told to be prepared for much worse. Our hospitals will be overflowing by September was the warning, but that has clearly not happened.

7 people in my family got covid (including 55+ diabetics) and all of us recovered with simple over the counter drugs. I have had several of my relatives catch it too and they recovered as well. I went to Lucknow old market yesterday and looking at the crowds, there is no way that covid didn't spend like wildfire there. Still the death count remains extremely low for a country of our size - About 30000 people die daily in India and currently only 600(official, probably more by several factors but still not as much as was predicted) of them are due to covid.

I just can't get my head around this. Indians clearly have been able to fight off the virus better than the western countries. Did the BCG vaccinations we got really protect us?
Not taking those numbers on face value. Anecdotal but my uncle who is a doctor ‘recovered’ from covid on 28/09 - the date of his negative test. However, he is still dealing with the after effects (fatigue and exhaustion).

Also, we have to take into account Vitamin D. Seems to be an important factor against covid.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Depends on the strain of the virus and age of the population as well.

But the numbers aren't what they are. Hospitals are overloaded and beds are not available. People sre getting turned down by hospitals and you have to lobby for whatever is available due to the demand. As with all data in this country, it's not reliable.

Suv666

Data is definitely being manipulated no doubt about it, but I'm sure we are not experiencing death on the level of western countries. Covid seems to be much more dangerous and fatal for Europeans and North Americans. Something to do with our genes maybe?
One theory that's been doing the rounds is that Indian usually living in squalid conditions have a more robust immune system.
You've got balls visiting old Lucknow. Overcrowded and most not wearing a mask.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Bihar exit polls are... interesting to say the least.
Wow :eek:
I wasn't following it much but I expected BJP would sweep in the seats they contested, JDU would do badly, similarly in their coalition RJD would do decently and Cong badly, and in the end BJP would make govt with JDU and LJP seats taken from JDU.

Bestie07

Data is definitely being manipulated no doubt about it, but I'm sure we are not experiencing death on the level of western countries. Covid seems to be much more dangerous and fatal for Europeans and North Americans. Something to do with our genes maybe?
One theory that's been doing the rounds is that Indian usually living in squalid conditions have a more robust immune system.
I was locked up in my home for six months but still got Covid last month :lol:

Suv666

I was locked up in my home for six months but still got Covid last month :lol:
That sucks. What were your symptoms?
I started going to the gym about 2 weeks ago and I think I might have caught it. I feel like I'm burning up but according to the thermometer my temperature is normal. And my nose is choked. No coughing or breathlessness.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout

But the numbers aren't what they are. Hospitals are overloaded and beds are not available. People sre getting turned down by hospitals and you have to lobby for whatever is available due to the demand. As with all data in this country, it's not reliable.
Not true in Delhi anymore, at least private ones. I know of 5 people who got beds in last week and 2 in ICU also. It is same as pre-Covid, if you can afford private health care, you can get bed in COVID wings of at least some hospital.

crappycraperson

Scout
I started going to the gym about 2 weeks ago and I think I might have caught it. I feel like I'm burning up but according to the thermometer my temperature is normal. And my nose is choked. No coughing or breathlessness.
Common cold is actually not one of covid symptoms. dry cough is a strong one.

crappycraperson

Scout
Wow :eek:
I wasn't following it much but I expected BJP would sweep in the seats they contested, JDU would do badly, similarly in their coalition RJD would do decently and Cong badly, and in the end BJP would make govt with JDU and LJP seats taken from JDU.
People hate Nitish as CM but love Modi as PM. BJP would have done better alone.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Not true in Delhi anymore, at least private ones. I know of 5 people who got beds in last week and 2 in ICU also. It is same as pre-Covid, if you can afford private health care, you can get bed in COVID wings of at least some hospital.
If someone is ready to cough up 10 lakhs then yes, beds will be made available.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
From my own personal experience, we've been rejected by major hospitals in Delhi due to no availability of beds and pull was needed.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
if numbers now are being fudged why weren't they fudged earlier? 1100 deaths a day, now about 700 (bottom was about 500).
brazil also had a long plateau and then a descent, and now might rise again.

TheBest

SPNTBP
Thats my experience as well. Almost all of the people I know, recovered without anything major. Infact no one in my hometown even believes in corona(they think its some kind of conspiracy) as no one they know has suffered anything beyond mild symptoms.

Bestie07

I had fever for about a week and extreme fatigue. Was more worried about my parents at that time to be honest than myself, thankfully they also recovered within a week.

Bestie07

Hospitals are definitely not overloaded in Lucknow. We had people from the CMO office visit our home a day after all of us tested positive and provided us some medications and urged my parents to get shifted to a hospital on a precautionary basis as they are nearing 60. You'd not be asking people to shift to a hospital on a precautionary basis if they are overflowing.

crappycraperson

Scout
if numbers now are being fudged why weren't they fudged earlier? 1100 deaths a day, now about 700 (bottom was about 500).
brazil also had a long plateau and then a descent, and now might rise again.
In Delhi at least the daily infection numbers have gone up to 7k a day now.

MDFC Manager

Unless we have a reason to believe that covid immunity (not just generic immunity) differs from state to state, the conclusion is that data is being fudged.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG

Age is a HUGE factor since the vast majority of people dying is over 70. Considering life expectency is 69 years in India and 82 in France or 81 in Germany, that could partially explain why the numbers are so different.

crappycraperson

Scout
Unless we have a reason to believe that covid immunity (not just generic immunity) differs from state to state, the conclusion is that data is being fudged.
At this stage it is irrelevant if data is being fudged. I don't think there is much more Govt can do with respect to Covid response other than continuously ramping up health care facilities and support. Nor discounting severity of this disease since I know of people who have died due it but I don't think mortality rate in India is sever enough to justify an intense lock down again.

MDFC Manager

At this stage it is irrelevant if data is being fudged. I don't think there is much more Govt can do with respect to Covid response other than continuously ramping up health care facilities and support. Nor discounting severity of this disease since I know of people who have died due it but I don't think mortality rate in India is sever enough to justify an intense lock down again.
Oh I agree. Lockdown would be completely useless because in the first lockdown this idiot government thought it would magically eradicate covid, whereas most sensible governments actually used the lockdown breather to ramp up healthcare facilities.

crappycraperson

Scout
Thankfully I've moved to my hometown from NCR due to the covid, here the pollution is not as bad as Delhi. Still the air is heavy with noxious pollutants and my brother's bronchitis keeps acting up because of it. Every year it keeps getting worse, unbelievable this is carrying on without any government intervention. How hard it can it be, stopping all the stubble burning? Govt dont give two fecks.

How much did the purifier cost you? They're quite expensive but given the state of things, thinking about investing in one or two.
I have 5 purifiers at home now. If money is not an issue then go with Dyson (starting from ~ 30k). If you want a good economical solution for a normal sized room (bed room not large living room) then current best option is https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08GJ57MKL/. Input on other brands:
- Philips is good when you first purchase it but I would never buy one again since their customer support is simply non existent. I can't get new filters for a model I purchased in 2015.
- MI Purifier 3 is not a bad buy also and has more features but Coway's performance is better.
- Coway customer support/service is excellent. Their filter is also one of the bigger ones out there.
- If you want to splurge for filter for a bigger room then I have seen Sharp filters doing very well in that regard. But again there are serious question marks over their customer support. Good chance you would not get active help in fixing the machine if it goes bad.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I have 5 purifiers at home now. If money is not an issue then go with Dyson (starting from ~ 30k). If you want a good economical solution for a normal sized room (bed room not large living room) then current best option is https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08GJ57MKL/. Input on other brands:
- Philips is good when you first purchase it but I would never buy one again since their customer support is simply non existent. I can't get new filters for a model I purchased in 2015.
- MI Purifier 3 is not a bad buy also and has more features but Coway's performance is better.
- Coway customer support/service is excellent. Their filter is also one of the bigger ones out there.
- If you want to splurge for filter for a bigger room then I have seen Sharp filters doing very well in that regard. But again there are serious question marks over their customer support. Good chance you would not get active help in fixing the machine if it goes bad.
I have always managed to get hold of philips filters. I buy beforehand and keep a spare also.

Suv666

Dyson is too bougie for me.
What about the Mi 2C? Its the cheapest one on Amazon and except wifi connectivity there doesn't seem to be too much difference when compared with Mi 3.
Also does the price shoot up during Diwali and Winter due to the increased demand?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
What about the Mi 2C? Its the cheapest one on Amazon and except wifi connectivity there doesn't seem to be too much difference when compared with Mi 3.
Also does the price shoot up during Diwali and Winter due to the increased demand?
Mi 3 has the hepa class 13 filter while the 2c has the hepa filter of a lower grade, most likely class 11 or 12.

And the price does shoot up. Always buy during monsoons, the pollution is the lowest and so is the price!

Last edited:

Suv666

Mi 3 has the hepa class 13 filter while the 2c has the true hepa filter. True hepa is not actually a certified hepa filter.

And the price does shoot up. Always buy during monsoons, the pollution is the lowest and so is the price!
Thanks for the info

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Thanks for the info
A slight correction. True hepa is also a hepa filter. However, the filter on the 2c is a lower grade hepa filter compared to the 3. Hepa type or hepa like are not certified hepa filters.

Although there are not different types of HEPA – as filters either meet or fail the HEPA standard – there are different levels of HEPA efficiency. This is in addition to the above standard and is used to further compare and categorize HEPA filters amongst each other.

True HEPA generally ranges from H10-H12. This is the “grade” of HEPA or the level of efficiency. The higher the grade, the better the filter. HEPA H13-H14 are within the highest tier of HEPA and are considered medical grade quality. Whereas H10-H12 filters only trap 85-99.5% of all particles that are 0.1 microns in diameter, HEPA H13 and H14 trap 99.95% and 99.995% of such particles, respectively.

Last edited:

crappycraperson

Scout
Right now a good sale is on on Amazon so you should be able to get a good deal. MI3 is better than 2C and price difference is ~ 4.5K.

RedDevil@84

Bihar is going too close. Looks like Amit Shah's suitcases will do lot of work in coming days

RedDevil@84

Given the massive drop in seats, Nitish's party don't seem to be wanting power while playing second fiddle to BJP.

Edit: Spoke too soon. NDA surges ahead to cross the halfway mark

Last edited:

Suv666

Given the massive drop in seats, Nitish's party don't seem to be wanting power while playing second fiddle to BJP.

Edit: Spoke too soon. NDA surges ahead to cross the halfway mark
Damn. Exit polls get it massively wrong again. Hindu-Muslim agenda always work.