India politics thread

MDFC Manager

this delhi ordinance is a new low. lost (twice) in state elections, lost at the court. so just overturn everything.

no point in having state govts at all. CBI, ED, buying MLAs, splitting parties, court case, making it a UT, ordinance...whatever they like, they will do.
I couldn't quite believe it either. Don't trust the SC to overturn this one now

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
this delhi ordinance is a new low. lost (twice) in state elections, lost at the court. so just overturn everything.

no point in having state govts at all. CBI, ED, buying MLAs, splitting parties, court case, making it a UT, ordinance...whatever they like, they will do.
Very strange that Modi is so desperate to reduce limited powers of Delhi govt. It made sense that he did not want Police or ACB with Kejriwal since then AAP could have caused problems for BJP at the centre, though I don't think they would have. Only rationale is that he is truly worried about Kejriwal giving him a fight at the national stage and wants to cut him down whenever possible.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Very strange that Modi is so desperate to reduce limited powers of Delhi govt. It made sense that he did not want Police or ACB with Kejriwal since then AAP could have caused problems for BJP at the centre, though I don't think they would have. Only rationale is that he is truly worried about Kejriwal giving him a fight at the national stage and wants to cut him down whenever possible.
Feel Kejriwal should be least of his worries right now.

Unlike 2019 where some brought up his name in "If not Modi, then who?" debates, you dont see Kejriwal's name come up that often.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Feel Kejriwal should be least of his worries right now.

Unlike 2019 where some brought up his name in "If not Modi, then who?" debates, you dont see Kejriwal's name come up that often.
Eventually Kejriwal is probably the best bet to challenge dear leader but AAP is too young right now for that to be a possibility.

Btw as it’s been 9 years of them ripping the social and constitutional fabric of this place apart, I sometimes lose track of all the specific reasons. Is there any good site / article / documentary (bbc one aside) which gives a good summary to recap things? I’d like to share it with people close to me who I didn’t expect to be so naive.

The biggest hurdle for any opposition aside from lacking the wealth and state influenced machinery to take them on, is the whole **** of personality thing. People are still forming opinions purely on the personality / oratory skills they are drawn to when that is intertwined with politics and vote garnering and not governance and policy making.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Don't know if it's just on twitter, but Bhakts and Sanghis are going INSANE after Karnataka:

Convinced they are going to lose the majority in 2024 (because BJP is appeasing Muslims and betraying loyal Hindus).
Convinced that Rahul incited every strike including farmers strike, and that now he will meet truckers and all transportation will stop.
Convinced that BJP IT cell is terrible and ineffective, home ministry is sleeping, and Soros(!)) is going to get Rahul to power.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Eventually Kejriwal is probably the best bet to challenge dear leader but AAP is too young right now for that to be a possibility.

Btw as it’s been 9 years of them ripping the social and constitutional fabric of this place apart, I sometimes lose track of all the specific reasons. Is there any good site / article / documentary (bbc one aside) which gives a good summary to recap things? I’d like to share it with people close to me who I didn’t expect to be so naive.

The biggest hurdle for any opposition aside from lacking the wealth and state influenced machinery to take them on, is the whole **** of personality thing. People are still forming opinions purely on the personality / oratory skills they are drawn to when that is intertwined with politics and vote garnering and not governance and policy making.
https://www.corruptmodi.com/en

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Don't know if it's just on twitter, but Bhakts and Sanghis are going INSANE after Karnataka:

Convinced they are going to lose the majority in 2024 (because BJP is appeasing Muslims and betraying loyal Hindus).
Convinced that Rahul incited every strike including farmers strike, and that now he will meet truckers and all transportation will stop.
Convinced that BJP IT cell is terrible and ineffective, home ministry is sleeping, and Soros(!)) is going to get Rahul to power.
Seems like a small subset. Most “sane” bakhts still think Modi will win GE no matter what. That might change if BJP loses Rajasthan and MP elections that will take place before the GE.

BTW do you think Modi will accept defeat in GE or engineer a coup? My hunch is if internal data shows Modi that he can possibly lose, he will delay GE by formulating some Indira style emergency

MDFC Manager

Seems like a small subset. Most “sane” bakhts still think Modi will win GE no matter what. That might change if BJP loses Rajasthan and MP elections that will take place before the GE.

BTW do you think Modi will accept defeat in GE or engineer a coup? My hunch is if internal data shows Modi that he can possibly lose, he will delay GE by formulating some Indira style emergency
Maybe I'm being very simplistic but can't see how BJP lose the GE, because they'll have a near complete sweep in UP, Gujarat, MP and Rajasthan. Unless something radical happens in UP, i think it's a foregone conclusion already

coolredwine

lameredboots

Will expand LS seats and give more to UP, Gujarat, MP.

amolbhatia50k

I wasn’t quite sure where to post this but it’s linked to the right wing sweep in India. India today posted the news of Uganda imposing death penalty on the LGBTQ community and these are the posts in the YouTube comments section. Now I know this part of the internet is full of trash but I think such views being so socially acceptable is a recent trend? They’re so proud and confident in their bigotry it’s bemusing.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I wasn’t quite sure where to post this but it’s linked to the right wing sweep in India. India today posted the news of Uganda imposing death penalty on the LGBTQ community and these are the posts in the YouTube comments section. Now I know this part of the internet is full of trash but I think such views being so socially acceptable is a recent trend? They’re so proud and confident in their bigotry it’s bemusing.

Seems that in the past few years, every country has just been importing US culture wars. Gay rights were never the main target of out bigots. Maybe, having destroyed the masjid and got the mandir, they need a different target? But I think more likely, by being online, they are absorbing US-based social media/culture war, and now see this type of stuff as the big threat.

amolbhatia50k

Seems that in the past few years, every country has just been importing US culture wars. Gay rights were never the main target of out bigots. Maybe, having destroyed the masjid and got the mandir, they need a different target? But I think more likely, by being online, they are absorbing US-based social media/culture war, and now see this type of stuff as the big threat.

They are structurally and systematically dismantled any democratic or fair institution that we have and essentially added it to their arsenal of political tools. The media, judiciary, ordinances / laws, income tax etc it’s all just serving the interest of the BJP and it’s face Dear Leader now.

What saddens me is just how easy it’s been for them to do this using the Hindu-Muslim divide and rule tactic and more so how many people I know who are otherwise good human beings but harbour strong bigotry and hatred on religious grounds. Nothing can change them and BJP has tapped into this reservoir of negativity and tribalism. I would hope that the younger generation is smarter and has a stronger value system but at the end of the day they’re growing up the same households watching the same nonsensical prime time television.

Reactions: Sultan

amolbhatia50k

What's this about then?
Obama said that Biden should bring up minority rights when meeting Modi and that if the latter doesn’t protect their interests etc India could be pulled apart. The fact that an ex US Prez has to say that and the question asked of Modi at the press conference, is shameful in itself.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Obama said that Biden should bring up minority rights when meeting Modi and that if the latter doesn’t protect their interests etc India could be pulled apart. The fact that an ex US Prez has to say that and the question asked of Modi at the press conference, is shameful in itself.
Ah, ok. What does the Assam police have to do with this though? :lol:

MDFC Manager

What's this about then?
Assam Police is known to make arrests in cases where opposition leaders have been critical of Modi, against ‘defamation’ FIRs. Singh’s tweet could have been an apparent reference to an incident in February this year, police of the state deplaned senior Congress leader Pawan Khera and arrested him for allegedly using objectionable words targeting Modi. In 2022, Gujarat MLA Jignesh Mevani was similarly arrested over a tweet.
https://m.thewire.in/article/communalism/hussain-obama-himanta-biswa-sarma

amolbhatia50k

Gotcha, how i wish Dear Leader would contract some horrible disease and the country would be rid of his tyrannical rule.
They’re the disease this country has contracted. Thing is, most of the majority choose not to notice that. They’re delighted at Hinduism being promoted and glorified by the State and at the time same time wet themselves at the thought of his personality and growth (as opposed to others under whom our economy never grew apparently) model. This US visit has caused so much chest thumping it’s insane. Screw the appalling situation at Manipur where the Centre has shockingly been completely absent and the PM silent, let’s lose ourselves to the amount is standing ovations and feet touching he gets.

amolbhatia50k

While the chest thumping over Dear Leader’s US vacation still continues…

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

RedDevil@84

https://www.barandbench.com/news/li...ain-continue-arguments-ajit-pawar-faction-mla

Bombay High Court bemused after NCP split leaves State lawyer uncertain on whether to continue arguments against Ajit Pawar faction MLA
A division bench of Justices Nitin Sambre and RN Laddha was tickled when the public prosecutor sought for time to get instructions based on changed (political) circumstances in Maharashtra
:lol:
More and more blatant everyday. Soon we will have politicians openly roaming in judge's chambers with suitcases in hand.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
i've seen these types of people online before, they've always been delusional, but this is a new leap:

anyway i hope they are immobilised by despair for years

amolbhatia50k

https://www.barandbench.com/news/li...ain-continue-arguments-ajit-pawar-faction-mla

Bombay High Court bemused after NCP split leaves State lawyer uncertain on whether to continue arguments against Ajit Pawar faction MLA
A division bench of Justices Nitin Sambre and RN Laddha was tickled when the public prosecutor sought for time to get instructions based on changed (political) circumstances in Maharashtra
Just a few days before this split, Dear Leader was making speeches calling out NCPs various supposed corruption scandals and how they would not spare anyone. And here they are welcoming the corruption accused with a red carpet with the charges soon to be dropped.

As has been said by the non Godi media voices, it’s simple - let people loot the country as long as they pledge allegiance to the BJP and maintain their power.