Infected blood scandal

Flying high

I thought there was a thread on this already but I can't see it now?

What a fukking disgrace. At least thirty thousand people were infected with HIV and hepatitis.

This has been know about for literally decades and succesive governments, civil servants and even doctors have done their best to sweep it under the carpet. With victims being told that they 'received the best possible care at the time'.

Listening to the emotion in the room today as the enquiry lead read out his conclusions was moving, to say the least. Hopefully those affected will finally see some justice on the back of what appears to me to be a well run and thorough public enquiry.

LARulz

Kind of blows my mind how long the UK took to complete this investigation. The equivalent report in Ireland came out in 1999!
It's the case for many of these reports and inquiries. They get tied up in the system with countless lawyers and opposing decision makers. It's probably also in the interest of the current government not to deal with the flak that comes with it, even if it happened years ago under opposition etc.

Flying high

Kind of blows my mind how long the UK took to complete this investigation. The equivalent report in Ireland came out in 1999!
Talk today is that the bill now could be into the billions of pounds.

Some interesting conclusions too, including a recommended duty of candour which seems such an obvious requirement for civil servants and government officials alike. For too long these type of inquiries have been delayed for so long, in part, to protect those in senior positions who should really face prosecution.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I had the same reaction when reading the title of the thread. In France it was in 1991 or 1992. Though from memory reports already existed for half a decade but they seemingly tried to hide it for as long as they could.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I know I don’t have HIV but I ordered a Hep C test today as I had a transfusion towards the end of the time in question

King Eric 7

I know I don’t have HIV but I ordered a Hep C test today as I had a transfusion towards the end of the time in question
Kinda the same for me, but mine was somewhat further back. Need to get tested for Hep C I think.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Kinda the same for me, but mine was somewhat further back. Need to get tested for Hep C I think.
I figured given it can be easily dealt with these days would rather find out now than if it caused problems down the line! You can get a test posted free to your house in England & Wales

King Eric 7

I figured given it can be easily dealt with these days would rather find out now than if it caused problems down the line! You can get a test posted free to your house in England & Wales
That's very true. I've put off ordering a test but going to get right on it tonight.

maximus419

Britain is without doubt the most corrupt nation in the world. The ability to cover up and lie about so many scandals down the years is unrivalled. How it holds itself as a nation of democracy and trust and how other nations see it as the gold standard is beyond me.

Superden

My mind keeps going back to how boris put Charlotte Owen in the house of Lords, considering her complete lack of credentials. Sums up how corrupt and self serving our establishment is.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I thought there was a thread on this already but I can't see it now?

What a fukking disgrace. At least thirty thousand people were infected with HIV and hepatitis.

This has been know about for literally decades and succesive governments, civil servants and even doctors have done their best to sweep it under the carpet. With victims being told that they 'received the best possible care at the time'.

Listening to the emotion in the room today as the enquiry lead read out his conclusions was moving, to say the least. Hopefully those affected will finally see some justice on the back of what appears to me to be a well run and thorough public enquiry.
30K? what the actual feck