g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Injury Crisis 2023/24 | Martínez and Casemiro back in training

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Mount - 1 week
Amrabat - 1-2 weeks
Malacia - 2-3 weeks
Varane - 2-3 weeks
Mainoo - 3-4 weeks
Shaw - 5+ weeks
Amad - 5+ weeks
Martial - indefinite

So many muscular injuries already. Mount, Malacia, Varane, Shaw...
If its muscular, I wonder if its got to do with too many pre-season matches (other than for Malacia)?

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Injured/On Leave/Banished Lineup:

Heaton
X - Varane - Shaw - Malacia
Mainoo Amrabat
Mount
Diallo - X - Antony​

Sub:
Sancho (rather play with 9 players)

N/A:
Greenwood

Chumpsbechumps

Mount - 1 week
Amrabat - 1-2 weeks
Malacia - 2-3 weeks
Varane - 2-3 weeks
Mainoo - 3-4 weeks
Shaw - 5+ weeks
Amad - 5+ weeks
Martial - indefinite

So many muscular injuries already. Mount, Malacia, Varane, Shaw...
In avengers infinity war, Dr Strange viewed over 14 million different multiverse situations. In only one of them Martial was fit

OrcaFat

If its muscular, I wonder if its got to do with too many pre-season matches (other than for Malacia)?
We didn’t play enough pre-season matches imo.

We looked seriously undercooked. With the injuries, possibly, having had fewer matches, players couldn’t ease themselves in.

We needed more of those local type of games that we ended up having behind closed doors after the season started and we needed to have them earlier in preseason so we could give everyone a steadily increasing amount of minutes and steadily increasing intensity.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

We looked seriously undercooked. With the injuries, possibly, having had fewer matches, players couldn’t ease themselves in.

We needed more of those local type of games that we ended up having behind closed doors after the season started and we needed to have them earlier in preseason so we could give everyone a steadily increasing amount of minutes and steadily increasing intensity.
I think we played 2 or 3 more pre-season matches than say Arsenal.

OrcaFat

I think we played 2 or 3 more pre-season matches than say Arsenal.
Could be true, I wouldn’t know. Pretty obviously our players didn’t have enough minutes under their belt come Match Day 1. With the number of players we were giving minutes to, more games would have been helpful imo.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
How many times a season do we have a fit squad?
Was it this bad when we were only travelling more locally for pre-season? I can't remember. It's all about the commercial side without regarding players welfare. They say the facilities are better and the heat if better, but those are not the conditions they will be playing in during the season.

OrcaFat

Also behind door games, maybe we need a rethink, especially when there are international early in the season.
There was a “news” story, if I recall correctly, that EtH and the staff were not too happy with the preseason schedule. Don’t know exactly why. Too much travel perhaps?

The problem is that quite a lot is supposed to be achieved in preseason. Tactical work, fitness and international marketing. Possibly the timing of games and the travel involved is an issue but it’s a relatively short time to cram everything in.

I don’t think any of the players had too many minutes in pre-season. Injury is more likely if they are not match fit and then have to cope with a leap in intensity when the first competitive game comes.

I think more games but perhaps more Manchester Utd XI (as opposed to <fanfare> THE Manchester United) games, against the likes of Rochdale, Oldham etc, would have allowed more minutes to more players on a schedule that brought them towards peak condition before the Wolves game. I suppose these trips abroad have to be done and get in the way somewhat.

croadyman

There was a “news” story, if I recall correctly, that EtH and the staff were not too happy with the preseason schedule. Don’t know exactly why. Too much travel perhaps?

The problem is that quite a lot is supposed to be achieved in preseason. Tactical work, fitness and international marketing. Possibly the timing of games and the travel involved is an issue but it’s a relatively short time to cram everything in.

I don’t think any of the players had too many minutes in pre-season. Injury is more likely if they are not match fit and then have to cope with a leap in intensity when the first competitive game comes.

I think more games but perhaps more Manchester Utd XI (as opposed to <fanfare> THE Manchester United) games, against the likes of Rochdale, Oldham etc, would have allowed more minutes to more players on a schedule that brought them towards peak condition before the Wolves game. I suppose these trips abroad have to be done and get in the way somewhat.
Yeah all about selling the Utd brand abroad but clearly it's better for the players to not be jetting around on pre season. Also the amount of games last season has played a part too

Last edited:

always_hoping

Now have an 11-man unavailable team. Heaton,Wan-Bissaka,Shaw, Varane,Malacia,Amrabat,Mainoo,Mount,Amad,Antony,Sancho and yes the latter two aren't injuries.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Now have an 11-man unavailable team. Heaton,Wan-Bissaka,Shaw, Varane,Malacia,Amrabat,Mainoo,Mount,Amad,Antony,Sancho and yes the latter two aren't injuries.
It's honestly a decent team, assuming Martial keeps up his streak he'll be able to take his place in the line up soon enough.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'd bet it's related to last season's match load. Plus mixture of bad luck for the handful who weren't here (hojlund, amrabat, mount, Mainoo, amad). We played a shit ton last season (most in Europe), ten hag not the best at rotating, we were also the most affected by the world Cup.

Idxomer

I'd bet it's related to last season's match load. Plus mixture of bad luck for the handful who weren't here (hojlund, amrabat, mount, Mainoo, amad). We played a shit ton last season (most in Europe), ten hag not the best at rotating, we were also the most affected by the world Cup.
But the guys who played the most games aren't the ones getting injured apart from Shaw.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Joking aside this has got to be one of the worst injury crises in modern history. Certainly for United. It's bizarre. Suspicious even.
I thought that and then remembered the time LvG lined up for a PL game with McNair, Varela and Borthwick-Jackson in the back 4

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
But the guys who played the most games aren't the ones getting injured apart from Shaw.
I dunno, match specific training and travel surely still has an impact for the squad guys?

Shaw and Varane played loads for club and country, Amrabat, hojlund, Mainoo and amad are unrelated to anything we do and more just bad luck, mount perhaps down to change in training methods, Wan Bissaka down to training methods or bad luck, Malacia bad luck as it happened in the off season I think, Maguire now who knows what.

reddevilchennai

When will these players be fit enough to return to the team
Varane
Amrabat
Mainoo
Shaw
Malacia
AWB
Mount
Amad

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
How is Martial still fit? Fate is laughing at us.
If we can get his wages down and keep him as an impact sub or Rashy rotation then I'd not mind seeing him get a renewal. Our manager rates his impact ability from the bench and if he can stay fit this season then might be a good choice to keep him around the club. Not on his current wage level though, so that's going to have to come down for sure. But if he can get some sort of form and stay fit, then might be worth a gamble imo.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Martinez out today.

If you want to see the extent of the damage injuries are doing to us, just look at that starting XI versus Burnley. Yikes.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Martinez out today.

If you want to see the extent of the damage injuries are doing to us, just look at that starting XI versus Burnley. Yikes.
Six defenders out or not ready to start, including the whole first choice back four. I'm sure there's loads of great banter about Jonny Evans starting games for Man Utd in 2023, but that's one of the worst defensive injury crises you'll ever see, and nobody other than City could cobble together a better backline than that under the circumstances.

Actually not even sure what the feck they'd do if all of Stones, Akanji, Ake, Gvadiol, Walker, Dias were all out at the same time.

Crimson King

Martinez out today.

All concentrated on the defenders at the moment too.

And people wonder why we've conceded so many goals this season!

Ollie Derbyshire

Our pre seasons have been shambolic for some time now.

Cloudface

Injured/Not fit to start/Banished/Scum:

Wan Bissaka - Varane/Maguire - Martinez - Shaw/Malacia
Mainoo - Amrabat
Mount
Sancho/Anthony - Greenwood - Diallo
It's been a rough start...

Abraxas

At some point it's not just "bad luck" is it?

Maybe it's time to look at everything that could contribute to it. Preseason, Training, recovery, nutrition, the medics, the quality of staff overseeing these departments.

Ultimately in any job you're judged on results and we're not getting them as far as keeping players fit and we will have numerous people who's job is to contribute to that. I'd like to think we should be holding people accountable.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
At some point it's not just "bad luck" is it?

Maybe it's time to look at everything that could contribute to it. Preseason, Training, recovery, nutrition, the medics, the quality of staff overseeing these departments.

Ultimately in any job you're judged on results and we're not getting them as far as keeping players fit and we will have numerous people who's job is to contribute to that. I'd like to think we should be holding people accountable.
It's definitely not bad luck. Our fitness overall is shit, even the players who haven't been injured look absolutely gassed.

Telsim

This is a joke. What is even going on? This can't be just bad luck, I'm sorry.