Interim manager discussion: Who replaces the interim interim manger (Carrick)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kag

The whole interim thing is a little strange. Most clubs remove managers because they want to see some sort of improvement in order to salvage the season. We seem fairly content to write full seasons off and ‘go again’ the following year. Chelsea demonstrated last season, and many times before that, this doesn’t need to be the case.

I appreciate the club will want to bring in the right fit, but go out and bloody get them. No expense spared. If Pochettino is who they want, for example, then push for it and make it happen.

peridigm

The whole interim thing is a little strange. Most clubs remove managers because they want to see some sort of improvement in order to salvage the season. We seem fairly content to write full seasons off and ‘go again’ the following year. Chelsea demonstrated last season, and many times before that, this doesn’t need to be the case.

I appreciate the club will want to bring in the right fit, but go out and bloody get them. No expense spared. If Pochettino is who they want, for example, then push for it and make it happen.
RM offered crazy money for Mbappe last summer and PSG said no. I doubt we can convince them to sell us Poch 1/3 into the season.

AnderHerrera

My personal bet is that the interim manager will be either Blanc or Rangnick.

Rangnick obviously knows a lot of football, but he has never been at a big club and handled superstars etc.

Blanc on the other hand has experience from PSG and France, and at PSG he did really well. Not doing so well at the moment with his team in Qatar though..

Francis Abernathy

For the next 2 weeks: Carrick/McKenna/Phelan
Then for 6 months until the summer: Steve Bruce or Wenger

Kag

RM offered crazy money for Mbappe last summer and PSG said no. I doubt we can convince them to sell us Poch 1/3 into the season.
Perhaps, but managers aren’t as valuable as players like Mbappe. If the manager doesn’t want to be there then that has wider implications for everybody else, too.

Marcus

What can an interim mamager do to get an instant reaction from the team?

- Play VDB with Fred/Matic.
- Play Dean Henderson.
- Try McTominay at CB since Maguire is out.
- Sub any player not giving 100% effort before half - time.
- Give opportunities to young and hungry players like and bench non-performing regulars.

bonothom

Please, no ex-players. Can we just get away from this sentimentality linked to the past crap. We have to move on. Look at Liverpool. Is there any link to their past within the coaching setup. They tried the promote from the boot room rubbish and it left them waiting for the title for 30 years. The sooner we move away from what made United successful in the past the sooner we will be challenging again.

Flytan

- Play Dean Hemderson.

- Give opportunities to young and hungry players like and bench non-performing regulars.
I don't understand these at all. We saw Henderson last year, he wasn't very good and that was including Ole wanting to play him (and Ole is staunchly loyal to his favorites)

McTominay is just a very limited player. I doubt him going to CB does anything. I used to be a huge supporter of him thinking he'd be a good squad player, but he's regressed light years.

I just want whoever is given the official interim role to be someone that KNOWS AND DOESN'T WANT to be here permanently. And that they bring their own coaching staff instead of mates FC.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Hearing American radio announcers pronounce ‘Solskjær,’ ‘Gunnar,’ & ‘Carrick’ is truly hilarious.

croadyman

Please, no ex-players. Can we just get away from this sentimentality linked to the past crap. We have to move on. Look at Liverpool. Is there any link to their past within the coaching setup. They tried the promote from the boot room rubbish and it left them waiting for the title for 30 years. The sooner we move away from what made United successful in the past the sooner we will be challenging again.
Yeah I will second that and Blanc blew his chances with apparent racist/misogynistic comments in the past

croadyman

I don't understand these at all. We saw Henderson last year, he wasn't very good and that was including Ole wanting to play him (and Ole is staunchly loyal to his favorites)

McTominay is just a very limited player. I doubt him going to CB does anything. I used to be a huge supporter of him thinking he'd be a good squad player, but he's regressed light years.

I just want whoever is given the official interim role to be someone that KNOWS AND DOESN'T WANT to be here permanently. And that they bring their own coaching staff instead of mates FC.
Yeah hope that is the case

Marcus

Henderson covers the gap between defensive line and penalty box much better. He gives a different dimension in that area. He may not be as great at shot-stopping as Dave but let's try something different. I think defenders play differently when he is in goal.

McTominay/Bailly. Between a rock and a hard place.

L1nk

Fletcher is supposed be Technical Director but apparently is coaching as well? Why? He has absolutely no experience coaching I hate this so damn much its ridiculous

Roane

I honestly don't see the issue with having carrick, then an interim and then a manager.

Sure in an ideal world we would get our target tomorrow but things don't work like that.

I don't want Rodgers but to use him as an example. If he is the target the he may not want to just bail on Leicester 1/3 of the way into a season. He has relationships there and why shouldn't he try and leave on good terms and maintain those relationships? Further to that Leicester would be up the proverbial without a paddle so would be more willing to let him go at the end of the season, giving them time to replace him.

With Ole sacked, and it had to happen with the results, it makes sense to have someone taking over (with a match in Tuesday) and look for an interim. Even here we don't have heaps of options. Zidane is free but who else?

People saying throw money at likes of PSG and Poch, doesn't work that way with the season where it is and limited options for replacements.

Tye season is over for us. We need to ensure we get the man we want, hopefully the right man and have him in place before the next season. End of season will create more options and potentially an easier ride for a replacement.

Marcelinho87

Worse than what? We are in a mess. Get Roy Keane in for the next couple of games to kick some ass until the board can come up with some kind of interim manager plan sometime whenever. Sorry, I have just lost it with what is going on at our club right now.
If you think they would respond to Roy Keane then you're wrong, he would make it 10x worse.

There is a reason he is stuck winding people up at SS and not managing.

UpWithRivers

Is there any club that signs interim managers? Sure there has been one or two every now and again, Tottenham is the only one I can think of. Who else? Its very rare right. All the clubs this season have not had interims and managed to get managers in straight away - Barca, Rangers, Villa, Newcastle, Norwich, Watford

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Evra would be a great motivator. Should be in the running to help out in some capacity over the season.

Roane

Is there any club that signs interim managers? Sure there has been one or two every now and again, Tottenham is the only one I can think of. Who else? Its very rare right. All the clubs this season have not had interims and managed to get managers in straight away - Barca, Rangers, Villa, Newcastle, Norwich, Watford
Rafa at Chelsea?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Roy Keane would only make it worse than Jose. The characters at United these days are different to the days he played. Bullying and shouting don't work in workplaces.

always_hoping

- Play Dean Henderson.
Not enough subs allowed for that to happen.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Didn’t Hiddink return to Chelsea a few times to steady the ship? Or am I going crazy?

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
No issue with them taking temporary charge. I would rather this than another rushed and bad appointment.
I want them to take time picking the right manager. Under no circumstances should they be given the job full time though

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Has there even been any meaningful rumour around Rooney for that question to need to be asked?

Laurencio

May I ask why?
Out of all the terrible options rumoured, this is the least terrible. Nothing really changes, board signals to the players that a new man will come in, which may lift the mood- I dunno - and Fletcher, Carrick or Phelan aren't made long term interim.

They are clearly incompetent for not having prepared a contingency over the past two weeks, but last night the rumour was that Darren Fletcher would be the interim - which would be even more ridiculous.

Out of all the terrible things this board could have done, letting carrick handle a couple (read two) matches and handing the reigns over to someone else on the interim is not the worst thing they could have come up with.

I was honestly expecting them to do something stupid like putting Fletcher in charge for the season and bringing in random United players as coaches - so I guess expectations matter.

darko

There was an article before today that mentioned something about how McKenna and Carrick had the players trained in certain system/formation but then Ole contradicted the whole thing by playing in different system on matchdays, leaving the players confused. Of course, take it with a massive bag of salt, but let's see if there is any truth to that now Carrick is the man, albeit temporary.
An assistant is an assistant. Who's to say he would not pick a different starting XI or a different formation or approach. Maybe Carrick wouldn't have sat DVB on the bench for 15 months.

roseguy64

I just read the Athletic piece and they're pushing his name as permanent option. I thought it was regarding a interim role and didn't know he was still at Sevilla.
Oh got it. I was very confused. Thanks.

sparx99

I honestly don't see the issue with having carrick, then an interim and then a manager.

Sure in an ideal world we would get our target tomorrow but things don't work like that.

I don't want Rodgers but to use him as an example. If he is the target the he may not want to just bail on Leicester 1/3 of the way into a season. He has relationships there and why shouldn't he try and leave on good terms and maintain those relationships? Further to that Leicester would be up the proverbial without a paddle so would be more willing to let him go at the end of the season, giving them time to replace him.

With Ole sacked, and it had to happen with the results, it makes sense to have someone taking over (with a match in Tuesday) and look for an interim. Even here we don't have heaps of options. Zidane is free but who else?

People saying throw money at likes of PSG and Poch, doesn't work that way with the season where it is and limited options for replacements.

Tye season is over for us. We need to ensure we get the man we want, hopefully the right man and have him in place before the next season. End of season will create more options and potentially an easier ride for a replacement.
Yeah, I don’t see the drama with Carrick managing a game. It happens all the time with managers getting appointed and sitting in the stands for game because they haven’t started training yet.

sparx99

Fletcher is supposed be Technical Director but apparently is coaching as well? Why? He has absolutely no experience coaching I hate this so damn much its ridiculous
He did all his coaching badges while playing.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Fletcher was a first team coach before he was technical director?

Luke1995

So Carrick the manager, Mckenna the first assistant and Phelan the ''staff''.

I reckon we could get a win at Villarreal but the game after that we will probably get battered.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Think he was part of coaching staff at Stoke

Shark

@NotShark
Roy Keane would only make it worse than Jose. The characters at United these days are different to the days he played. Bullying and shouting don't work in workplaces.
Roy has mellowed a bit over the past few years in fairness.

hurricane thunderclap

I am going to keep saying it , we need a manager NOW who wants to and can manage the club. If they want the job they want it. Having a temp for 6 months is pointless.

::sonny::

Rooney said he is committed to his club (league one next season) and feel for Ole, didn’t show any sign of particular interest apparently (body language)

hurricane thunderclap

- Play Dean Henderson.
A permanent manager could do the same and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.