Interim manager

Skills

Snitch
Yes, that has worked so well in the past.
Things that we've done in the past that haven't worked out for us, thus shouldn't be attempted again:

- having an interim
- sacking a manager
- signing footballers
- playing in red
- playing at old trafford
- playing on Saturdays
- playing on Sundays
- playing midweek

If we just stop doing all of those things because they didn't work out once, we'll be grand. I'm sure of it.

Dve

It'll be Carrick won't it? Played 3 won 2 drawn 1 last time eh
Actually not a bad call. I could see that happening e.g. if Hag got sacked in March.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yes, that has worked so well in the past.
That is redundant logic. It hasn’t worked, so it never will, so why bother? Meanwhile, let’s tank a season and reduce any slithers of morale to ash.

Our midfield doesn’t work. The cure? Just stick with it, it’ll eventually sort itself out. No need to address anything.

But not being snarky for a moment, if Ralf is considered the epitome of it not working, Ole and even Carrick are examples of the opposite. The sample size is minute, so does/does not really remains to be seen, but you don’t just not try, and certainly not at the start of November.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
That is redundant logic. It hasn’t worked, so it never will, so why bother? Meanwhile, let’s tank a season and reduce any slithers of morale to ash.

Our midfield doesn’t work. The cure? Just stick with it, it’ll eventually sort itself out. No need to address anything.

But not being snarky for a moment, if Ralf is considered the epitome of it not working, Ole and even Carrick are examples of the opposite. The sample size is minute, so does/does not really remains to be seen, but you don’t just not try, and certainly not at the start of November.
The problem is the midfield doesn’t work so sack the manager. Not following your logic.

If that's the problem, change the midfield.
We sold Fred who was the legs and tenacity in midfield, bought Mount who doesn’t seem to fit, McTominay is playing well currently but basically not good enough, Casemiro is right out of form, Amrabat isn’t United/PL level and Bruno is streaky as hell.

Please tell me how sacking the manager fixes that?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The problem is the midfield doesn’t work so sack the manager. Not following your logic.

If that's the problem, change the midfield.
We sold Fred who was the legs and tenacity in midfield, bought Mount who doesn’t seem to fit, McTominay is playing well currently but basically not good enough, Casemiro is right out of form, Amrabat isn’t United/PL level and Bruno is streaky as hell.

Please tell me how sacking the manager fixes that?
The problem is nothing works, so sack the manager.

You’ve answered your question: you make changes to address issues.

Zora

We literally did this last time and the players knew he was an interim and couldn’t be fecked any more than they were under Solskjaer.

We need new owners and a new footballing structure before we bother getting a new manager.
This is the correct way. But people seem to think a shiny new manager will work. It won’t.

Plant0x84

The problem is nothing works, so sack the manager.

You’ve answered your question: you make changes to address issues.
The manager isn’t an issue.

The owners are an issue. The football hierarchy are an issue. The squad balance is an issue. Individual players are an issue. Hell, even the fans are an issue but sacking this manager at this point would set us back so many years we would be in danger of rivalling Liverpools era of wilderness. That’s not what I want for our great club.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Conte is the only one who can come in and get something from this shit group. But I don't want him though. Not that I don't trust ETH but if the players aren't responding, then you are done.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

The owners are an issue. The football hierarchy are an issue. The squad balance is an issue. Individual players are an issue. Hell, even the fans are an issue but sacking this manager at this point would set us back so many years we would be in danger of rivalling Liverpools era of wilderness. That’s not what I want for our great club.
How long do you want ETH to be given and what do you think he will achieve?

Tyrion

How do you know they refuse to adapt to his philosophy when no one even knows what his philosophy is
They didn't adapt to Ole or Ragnick either. I don't really blame our managers anymore. Our players are simply wasters.

OleGunnar20

I get why ETH is getting all the flack but what are his assistants doing? Surely they should also be hands on with the training? SM has experience, why are we not seeing more of him?
If we get rid of ETH, do we go with an upcomer like Mckenna? Give him time to lay the foundations for the next phase and blood youngsters? Carrick?
I don't really see anyone else who could lead the club forward apart from the usual names like Conte who would be here for 2 years and then we start all over again.
McKennas doing great at Ipswich and seems sensible enough to avoid us in our current state. Even if he did come in the only way it'd work I feel is if we absolutely cleared the deck of egos, as you can't imagine the guy has much authority at this stage in his career.

Realistically it has to be a big character who'll stamp his authority. I can't stand Conte but it does feel like the stars are aligning there ..

pocco

loco
People saying the football hierarchy is an issue, it is a very real possibility that it will only get more convoluted once Ratcliffe is in, as he'll add his guys into the mix. He'll only own 25% for now and the Glazers will still obviously want their say as the majority shareholders. But to mention the fact that we already have a DoF. What you are essentially saying is 'you can't sack another manager, sack the DoF instead'.

I honestly don't know what people are expecting from Ratcliffe in the short term. Even if they get a good structure and good people in place, it will take years to pay dividends. No manager will be given a 2 or 3 year period of grace at United and rightfully so. There is simply no way out for Ten Hag. It's now a question of how low we can sink and how much the club want us to endure.

pocco

loco
They didn't adapt to Ole or Ragnick either. I don't really blame our managers anymore. Our players are simply wasters.
They played Ole ball. The issue was it wasn't a sustainable style of football, as ETH is finding out. After a season or so it gets found out and teams prevent the quick transition. Then we're out of ideas and the rest is history.

Tyrion

They played Ole ball. The issue was it wasn't a sustainable style of football, as ETH is finding out. After a season or so it gets found out and teams prevent the quick transition. Then we're out of ideas and the rest is history.
I don't think it gets found out. I think Ole tried to play more openly and it went terribly and snowballed from there and EtH is caught in a similar situation. I just think these players are quick to give up.

ti vu

Still, as a whole the season Ole came in as an interim manager, he only got beaten by City and Liverpool in terms of point collection.

Actually not a bad call. I could see that happening e.g. if Hag got sacked in March.
[/QUOTE]
4 more than Arsenal.

5 more than Chelsea.

8 point more than Tottenham.

What are these teams have in common that season? They made European final and their league season was affected by having to balance European football as insurance route in case they missed out CL qualification through league position (Arsenal still missed CL in both case)

City had 14 more point than us in same period. Liverpool had 12 more points. Liverpool won CL. Whereas City won both League Cup and FA Cup while bowed out of CL in quarter final by away goal to Tottenham.

The point being, the conclusion is correct that we hauled most point only behind Man City and Liverpool. However, context of raw number shows that we're far away from Liverpool and City and it showed in following seasons even when we came in second in the league. These teams bar disastrous campaign didn't need high 90 point to keep us arm length. We're only better than the other teams when they're weak, and we're not exactly uncatchable by them as we now see. In good form, they can overtake us when we slip up.

GazTheLegend

I have a weird feeling that Conte would be a brilliant interim manager for us, he's always seemed to have an affinity for Manchester United and Manchester United players by extension, I can imagine he'd have some ideas with what to do with us. That said I'd rather keep Ten Hag than endlessly roll the dice, hopefully once we've got our defenders fit again we won't look quite as shambolic. Just need some bloody goals to go in.

Dominos

We literally did this last time and the players knew he was an interim and couldn’t be fecked any more than they were under Solskjaer.

We need new owners and a new footballing structure before we bother getting a new manager.
Rangnick is a sample size of 1, doesn't mean that for eternity no one should ever appoint an interim.

Chelsea had an upturn under Hiddink the first time, and won an CL/FA cup double under De Matteo.

A permanent manager is preferable. But if it's not feasible, interim is the next best thing.

The problem is, with ETH we are guaranteed a dreadful season, the rot has set in and players have lost faith. The only way to salvage this season is to make a change. If an interim comes in and fails to improve us, we lose nothing because we'd have been shit anyway. But with an interim we have some chance of a new manager bounce.

Dominos

I have a weird feeling that Conte would be a brilliant interim manager for us, he's always seemed to have an affinity for Manchester United and Manchester United players by extension, I can imagine he'd have some ideas with what to do with us. That said I'd rather keep Ten Hag than endlessly roll the dice, hopefully once we've got our defenders fit again we won't look quite as shambolic. Just need some bloody goals to go in.
The problem is the big names have too big of an ego to ever be interim till the end of the season.

I think one of the reasons we didn't go with Valverde after Ole got sacked is he thought his profile deserved the permanent position off the bat.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
I think he would struggle for the same reasons ETH is currently struggling. He's a disciplinarian - most of our wallies need an arm around their shoulder 24/7 and to be told they're amazing all day. Conte isn't the guy, imo.

Piabetic

I don't know why people think that the likes of Conte and even Potter would come to United as an interim manager. I know that interim manager at United stands a good chance of becoming full time manager but Conte wouldn't entertain that nonsense and I think Potter would realise that it would most likely solidify the notion that he can't cut it at a big club. We all know that if they sacked Ten Hag right now we would have Fletcher until the end of the season and god help us if the players suddenly decide they can be arsed and put in a few performances because we would be stuck with him for three years.

THE ZOL

Daddy Sancho
Supports
Al-Merreikh (Omdorman)
We should get a low-profile interim manager who brings back a feel good factor to steady the ship before handing over to someone else once there is a better structure in place. Our players are good enough to at the very least make it into Europe without intricate tactical game-plans.

Heard something interesting from John Terry’s episode on Jon Obi Mikel’s podcast that put into context why the Chelsea lads loved Guus Hiddink so much as an interim. He came in and brought a feel-good factor by keeping it simple which gave the players a new lease of life following the end of a regime that they had emotionally checked out of.

This probably explains the new manager bounce we had under Ole, which wasn’t replicated under Ralf. We must avoid the mistake we made with Ralf by bringing in an interim with a long-term mindset. Not only did this make it clear that the organisation had an unclear sense of direction, but Ralf wanted to change too much too quickly without the benefit of a pre-season. This required a level of mental commitment the players didn’t have.

We should go with someone like Ole, Ruud, Muelensteen, Mick Phelan or somebody of that ilk until the end of the season. The important thing in the interim is to just get the players enjoying coming into work every morning. At the end of the season, not only would we have a better structure in place (ideally with Murtough’s responsibilities handed over to Paul Mitchell), but also better managers available for a serious rebuild.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Is there any one who commands respect, is half-way competent and doesn't invariably play the most abject (hello Conte) football possible? I mean, 81 or not, SAF's still lucid, not showing signs of significant mental decline from what we can see in short interviews . Heck- plenty of big academics still publishing at that age, dirty Rupe was still heading his media empire etc, so it's not necessary an impediment . If we're not going down the Bielsa route, then,... give it Sir Alex till the end of the season might not be quite as deranged as it appears on the surface
Jeez, his wife and one of his best friends have just died, SAF is in no shape to be taking on a job like this

If we need an interim manager to the end of the season then we need someone who will take no shit, will demand nothing less than maximum effort, won't give a crap what the players think, will drop anyone who doesn't do what's asked - Roy Keane is the man

Plant0x84

How long do you want ETH to be given and what do you think he will achieve?
Short term answer is January. Long term would be the entire season. Both are decent points to take stock, but it’s of his whole time in charge, in context of all the crises and off pitch drama.
Honestly I don’t expect much, I thought we would struggle last season and was pleasantly surprised but we are not done squad building - plenty of players need to go and whilst you can argue he hasn’t spent well I do think you can say that we aren’t buying from the elite pool anymore because of FFP considerations, our diminished status and reputation within the game.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I mean, every example player there have done absolutely nothing post United and their fitness has been shocking. Martial on loan was useless, Maguire was set to be sold, so Bruno is about the only one potentially worth his salt in that list. I don't think it's entirely their fault, but the list of players not worthy of the shirt is as long as your arm in the last decade.

I think there's no real analysis done as to what certain players would add to our squad, because Antony and Hojlund are the first attacking players we've bought that are pressers. Yet supposedly, that's where we we were heading in terms of style. Or maybe they think the one or two players will do enough and we can coach the rest of them, which never seems to be the case.
I understand your view but there again players are human beings. They are influenced by a toxic environment, they need to be kept on their toes and they tend not to leave for a job that pay less. I feel that we're reading the same script over again.

A- A new player is signed probably on silly salary and fee
B- His enthusiasm to succeed is swiftly killed off by a toxic environment made up of incompetent fitness people, facilities that are dated if not vintage and players who lack the talent/motivation to succeed.
C- The guy is stuck to mediocrity were he clings dearly to a salary no one else will ever give him and at a club were accountability goes missing. The only time worth to show up is that year prior to his contract expiring as doing well under such circumstances will mean having money bags thrown at him which would then secure another 5 years of freeloading.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

I am anti- Glazer and 100% supported ETH from day 1. But if we are being honest, both owner and ETH are the issues. It’s so plain obvious and so indefensible. Having spent 400m on players of his choice, and 16 months in with all the new coaching methods implemented, we are actually getting worse and worse. How can ETH get away from any responsibility leading to that? Doesn’t make any sense.

Amir

I don't blame the managers either. I blame the people who appoint them and are unable to create a good sporting structure at the club.

The players? If we had the same bunch for ten years, I would have agreed. But we've had loads of players over the last decade - including those who were still part of Fergie's winning teams and now those who ETH brought, some of whom he knew personally. Are they also wasters?

Hakara

Supports
Bayern München
I think most of the interims I want would rather be full-time managers.

Hansi Flick would be great as interim but I doubt he'd go for a temporary job.
Not only that, but Hansi hated talking to the media and anything to do with one or more weekly press conferences. One of the reasons why he wanted the national job. Less of the "PR" stuff to deal with. As much as he hated dealing with the German press I think he'd hate the English press even more.

Bondi77

We need to get an interim starting 11 and not an interim manager!

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I understand your view but there again players are human beings. They are influenced by a toxic environment, they need to be kept on their toes and they tend not to leave for a job that pay less. I feel that we're reading the same script over again.

A- A new player is signed probably on silly salary and fee
B- His enthusiasm to succeed is swiftly killed off by a toxic environment made up of incompetent fitness people, facilities that are dated if not vintage and players who lack the talent/motivation to succeed.
C- The guy is stuck to mediocrity were he clings dearly to a salary no one else will ever give him and at a club were accountability goes missing. The only time worth to show up is that year prior to his contract expiring as doing well under such circumstances will mean having money bags thrown at him which would then secure another 5 years of freeloading.
Fair points, especially when their career is short, I suppose if you think you've made the wrong choice you get as much as you can our of it.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I always wondered what happened to Alan Curbishley. He was very highly rated while at Charlton then disappeared after his West Ham stint.

So, at this stage, I would like to see him being given a shot. It cannot get any worse and at least we would have a chance to be surprised.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Fair points, especially when their career is short, I suppose if you think you've made the wrong choice you get as much as you can our of it.
The funny thing is that SAF started his United career under similar circumstances. His solution was to carpet bomb the entire system, suffer the repercussions of it and then rebuild everything from scratch. At that point both new players and the few that survived knew that SAF wasn't going anywhere, that they had to perform on a regular basis or else they would be shown the door. I happen to have met a senior club official (not Manutd) who shared a story with me. A top player with drinking problems was spared from SAF's onslaught with the sole condition that he stopped drinking. The guy kept his side of the bargain only to return to his ways the day after he joined his new club (ie this club). Thus what changed the guy was not cuddles and hugs but the absolute fear that if he crossed the line then he would be on the way out and I assure you that the player's name is waaaaaaay bigger then any player of our present team. Gaz himself once described the fear he had after he had a bad game. There was no guarantee that he would remain a first teamer after that or he won't be sold soon afterwards. Thus he would spend the rest of the week with his head down, stay as far away from the gaffer as possible and do his absolute best in training. These days players go out to celebrate their birthday after an humiliating derby loss.

United need to do break the cycle. We need to remove every single bad apple (including those who do not give their 100% in training on a daily basis) irrespective of any hit on and off the pitch. Unfortunately to do so you need deep pockets, a football structure that are best in class and a club which is fully focused on football success

Plant0x84

I am anti- Glazer and 100% supported ETH from day 1. But if we are being honest, both owner and ETH are the issues. It’s so plain obvious and so indefensible. Having spent 400m on players of his choice, and 16 months in with all the new coaching methods implemented, we are actually getting worse and worse. How can ETH get away from any responsibility leading to that? Doesn’t make any sense.
It’s not about Erik getting away with anything. For me, it’s kinda a ‘you made this mess, you sort it out’ scenario. I believe he is still our best option, presently.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
“ The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” – Albert Einstein

This squad of players refuse to adapt to Ten Hag's philosophy, why do you think that they would be arsed under another Ralf, when we saw how they spat him out?
This quote always gets attributed to Einstein, but its actually from 1983 by a novelist named Rita Mae Brown in a book called Sudden Death

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The funny thing is that SAF started his United career under similar circumstances. His solution was to carpet bomb the entire system, suffer the repercussions of it and then rebuild everything from scratch. At that point both new players and the few that survived knew that SAF wasn't going anywhere, that they had to perform on a regular basis or else they would be shown the door. I happen to have met a senior club official (not Manutd) who shared a story with me. A top player with drinking problems was spared from SAF's onslaught with the sole condition that he stopped drinking. The guy kept his side of the bargain only to return to his ways the day after he joined his new club (ie this club). Thus what changed the guy was not cuddles and hugs but the absolute fear that if he crossed the line then he would be on the way out and I assure you that the player's name is waaaaaaay bigger then any player of our present team. Gaz himself once described the fear he had after he had a bad game. There was no guarantee that he would remain a first teamer after that or he won't be sold soon afterwards. Thus he would spend the rest of the week with his head down, stay as far away from the gaffer as possible and do his absolute best in training. These days players go out to celebrate their birthday after an humiliating derby loss.

United need to do break the cycle. We need to remove every single bad apple (including those who do not give their 100% in training on a daily basis) irrespective of any hit on and off the pitch. Unfortunately to do so you need deep pockets, a football structure that are best in class and a club which is fully focused on football success
I agree, I'm not wedded to it being Ten Hag who leads us there, but I am certain we need some definitive leadership on what constitutes the style of play and expected training levels/attitude.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
Warnock is the perfect fit! His type of football completely negates the need for a midfield.