Interim manager

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Seeing lots of posts talking in absolute terms; we get rid of ten Hag only for the next permanent fixture; we do not get rid of ten Hag because nobody(!) could do better in these conditions; leave things alone until the takeover completes, etc, etc.

An interim covers all bases and is under no illusion of the term of employment with everything to hope to gain for a job well done. There is absolutely no need to tank the entire season via resting on laurels or burying heads in sands wishing things to turn around because time. Trying to sound out a permanent fixture who is most likely doing exceptionally well can be a drawn out, painstaking process. It’s nothing we have to do right now to see an upturn in performance.

Squad morale is rock bottom. People are saying the players have simply downed tools, but it looks more like the blind leading the blind in that: we are tactically set up to fail; in-game management is shocking and basically everything that makes a team worse than the sum of its parts is in full effect. You don’t just let that continue unabated, else you get seasons like Chelsea had and in our case, a squad who are already below par having that compounded by severely low levels of confidence and self-belief. Interim management cannot be any worse. We’re at rock bottom and awful at everything anyway. You also give these players something to play for that’s not already set in stone and pre-determined by a coach they feel like an afterthought for.

Interim in. Sort out permanency in a considered fashion and address this rot in the meantime.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I think most of the interims I want would rather be full-time managers.

Hansi Flick would be great as interim but I doubt he'd go for a temporary job.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We literally did this last time and the players knew he was an interim and couldn’t be fecked any more than they were under Solskjaer.

We need new owners and a new footballing structure before we bother getting a new manager.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
We need to hire a jolly, Pacific islander. We can call him Pacific Interim.

GreatDane

We literally did this last time and the players knew he was an interim and couldn’t be fecked any more than they were under Solskjaer.

We need new owners and a new footballing structure before we bother getting a new manager.
So because it didn't work last time then it wont work in the future? Silly. Why bother with anything then.

We need new owners and new structure yes, but we also need to stop the bleeding and the right interim could do that which would give Jim or whoever time to sort out the mess in the background.

Kaos

Why the need for an interim manager? Granted not every permanent manager wants to start midway through a season, but surely the intention should be to bring in a proper replacement in as soon as possible, that way they can immediately assess the squad, pinpoint shortcomings, and start working on their desired playstyle and system as soon as possible. Why throw away another season and wait for preseason for all that?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think it should down to the new Sporting director and CEO to decide whether the manager should be sacked or not. Having said that if ETH had to resign then I'd go for someone who has at least one of the following

a- Understand the EPL well
b- Has a style of game that play to this team's strengths

Thus my choice would be

a- Potter
b- Conte
c- Favre

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
So because it didn't work last time then it wont work in the future? Silly. Why bother with anything then.
“ The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” – Albert Einstein

This squad of players refuse to adapt to Ten Hag's philosophy, why do you think that they would be arsed under another Ralf, when we saw how they spat him out?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
“ The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” – Albert Einstein

This squad of players refuse to adapt to Ten Hag's philosophy, why do you think that they would be arsed under another Ralf, when we saw how they spat him out?
How do you know they refuse to adapt to his philosophy when no one even knows what his philosophy is

Oranges038

Lets just get Keano in a make a docu series about it. He can bring in Cantona as well, he can sing to the players to soothe them after Roy tears them a new one.

That would probably be worth watching.

If they don't respond to blunt force trauma or arms around shoulders, they may as well all retire.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

I am angry with the players as much as you do. However is it entirely their fault though. How many of our players had just 1-2 great first season in them only for their form to go haywire soon afterwards? On top of my head I can think of a few including Rojo and Martial (LVG) and, Pogba and Bailly (Mou), Bruno and Maguire (Ole). It still early days but Martinez, Malacia, Casemiro and co seem going to that route. Had anyone bothered why that's happening? Is it them downing tools? Or is it the case that things (training etc) isn't working well at United and having been working well for quite a while? How long does it take to sort the fitness team? How long does it take to have a decent data analyst team/scouting team that can make us less dependent on the manager's shopping list?

Ahmer Baig

Will changing managers bring improvement? How many managers some of these players have see? They will again down tool for the next manager as well. The club is rotten to core and changing managers wont change anything.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Lets just get Keano in a make a docu series about it. He can bring in Cantona as well, he can sing to the players to soothe them after Roy tears them a new one.

That would probably be worth watching.

If they don't respond to blunt force trauma or arms around shoulders, they may as well all retire.
The players should be made to hear a 3 hour Eric Cantona speech which verges on being nonsensical

Redstain

Not a great view point, so then the excuse for any manager in management was that the players refused to adapt so there's no plausibility of the managers culpability in anything.

7 of the managers signings were available in the game yesterday either as a starter or a sub. If the manager was successful with the said players last season, why are they all of a sudden an issue this campaign.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Give it to Bruno an Rashford, let's see how they'd do.
How do you know they refuse to adapt to his philosophy when no one even knows what his philosophy is
We know he wants us to press high. Players like Rashfrod, Martial, Casemiro, Bruno (due to low IQ, not effort) and the whole back 4 can't really do it.
Persisting with it is suicidal and it shows. When we lose the ball it's panic stations. Oil Tankers Maguire and Casemiro can't turn fast enough. 1-brain-cell-between-them Dalot and Lindelof complete the picture.

I kind of see what he's trying to do but the personnel is so wrong for it.

He just has to set up for counters, there's no other way. But seems to me he has chosen to be sacked instead.

Ghostrider318

Will changing managers bring improvement? How many managers some of these players have see? They will again down tool for the next manager as well. The club is rotten to core and changing managers wont change anything.
Theyll suddenly start playing well. The caf will pill on ETH being a mediocre manager, Pep Guardiola is my idol, twitter memes will be plentiful. 2 years later we will back in this thread talking about yet another manager

crossy1686

career ending
Keep seeing this line everywhere and yet it does change, otherwise we wouldn't keep sacking managers for poor performance.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Not a great view point, so then the excuse for any manager in management was that the players refused to adapt so there's no plausibility of the managers culpability in anything.

7 of the managers signings were available in the game yesterday either as a starter or a sub. If the manager was successful with the said players last season, why are they all of a sudden an issue this campaign.
None in defence, 2 in midfield, 1 in attack. That's not an awful lot. That's what I'd call "disjointed".

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
No more Dutch managers, let's get a Belgian.

Is Will Still willing to still the Manchester United ship?
Will Still will still cause issues with the stillness of the club. Will Will Still fix the will of the players still?

ThemanGiggsy

i dont want our hierarchy to pick a different manager.

and i still back ten hag.

considering the managers we have gone through, all picked by the same people, and a majority of the players having played for all of the managers, i dont think anything would change.

JPB

Big Louis. Tells the press to feck off. Demands respect from our players and can implement a style other than kick it up top to Rashford.

Redstain

None in defence, 2 in midfield, 1 in attack. That's not an awful lot. That's what I'd call "disjointed".
But then the same can be said for Newcastle who had less of the managers overall signings and more fringe players yet they still pulled out a result and a better team performance. The minimum prerequisite of any manager is that they get a tune out if what is available to them. Even with a majority fit squad the performances are still lackluster.

Lyng

The only manager who could turn this around at the moment is Ferguson.

tomaldinho1

Interim is pointless. If the club decide to do this, they should just hire a new manager. The new appointment then has to be ok with the squad we currently have - it's actually not a bad squad as we saw last season - and put in the work on the training field.

The club must do everything they can do take some power away from the players and protect any manager from the insane amount of crappy media takes. The club are letting ETH get a hell of a lot of flack from the media and peeking out from under the covers instead of backing him. If they don't back him anymore then why bother keeping him around? Where's Murtough saying we support ETH 100% in his treatment of Sancho for example or Arnold coming out and putting journos in their place, there's no control, we're such an easy and willing target. Our club is weak at the top, full of cowards who are happy to pander to managers because the manager is the only one with the balls to make the decisions and when things go wrong it is the manager who falls by the wayside. ETH may well get sacked but he is now simply one of many who came here and saw an initial positive burst descend into mediocrity, change has to start at the top and then feed down.

AnotherLondonManc

In theory, this is a sound argument.

In practice, our caretaker manager would go on a 5 game win streak, be offered a 5 year contract, and we'll be having this conversation again in a year's time.

The bare minimum that needs to happen before making any major footballing decisions is a new DoF. Worst thing we can do now is rush into something

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

We need new owners and new structure yes, but we also need to stop the bleeding and the right interim could do that which would give Jim or whoever time to sort out the mess in the background.
Did you read what I said? I said the manager is not the problem. It’s the structure around him so getting rid of the manager and bringing another manager into this hell hole is like rearranging the chairs on the titanic.

204Red

Please dont repeat the Ole mistake of signing him to a long term deal before the season is out... we fell off a cliff thanks to that idiotic decision.

greendevil

It'll be Steve McClaren if they are stupid enough to sack Ten Hag

GreatDane

I'm aware of the quote but in regards to using an interim I don't think we're there yet regarding the 'over and over' insanity thing.

Maybe Ralf was a capable DoF but a shit coach, maybe the right one will light a fire under their asses.
But I agree that the (some) players might be a problem, it's very suspicious how some keep losing their form after a year or two with manager/coach. Rashford has had 5 managers now? That's alot for a 25 year old player who's only been at one club.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Not sure how this works out for the best. Seems it'd either be an Ole situation, where a coach otherwise underqualified to be hired permanently does well and gets the full job, or they'd end up as a Rangnick supply teacher figure where the players know they don't even need to pretend to give a feck.