Interim manager

Jonty

Feck this "vibes" interim nonsense, that would be bending to the players again. ETH has had a tumultuous start to his United career and most top managers would have struggles with the challenges he has faced.

Bring in Keano as an interim coach/enforcer to tear the squad a new one.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Will changing managers bring improvement? How many managers some of these players have see? They will again down tool for the next manager as well. The club is rotten to core and changing managers wont change anything.
Short term maybe. Then the club will just revert to type.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If we hire an interim manager make sure it’s a feel good appointment as this squad needs Molly coddling in the short term. A demanding coach which is what we need as the next permanent hire would break these babies.

Personally I’d keep ETH to penalise the players who are downing tools.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I agree, I'm not wedded to it being Ten Hag who leads us there, but I am certain we need some definitive leadership on what constitutes the style of play and expected training levels/attitude.
I'd say let's build the structure first ie a couple directors at board level that understand football, a CEO, a Sporting director/DOF, a head of recruitment + fitness people/sport scientists that are best in class. Once the structure is there then an assessment needs to be done. Once that assessment is made then changes needs to be done. In that way the players are basically fecked. They can't blame things on the fitness people and the decision on whether they are good enough or not will be taken away from the man that they can work against to have him sacked.

MiceOnMeth

Its a shame Giggs is such a thundering cnut he has ruined the "give eh to giggseh" meme :(

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
United need to create a culture that helds people accountable. The problem here is that United usually gives a lot of control over transfers, extensions etc to their manager. Rangnick became a lame duck the moment it was clear that he wouldn't be allowed to do transfers and that Murtough was waiting for the next manager.

Signing an interim to lighten the mood can still work, but I fear at United it will set back the club because after that period the next manager starts with a clean slate because the DOF isn't keeping track of and taking action on what happened in the interim period.

wolvored

Wait for Ratcliffe to come in. The season is rotton for Utd now, unless 2 or 3 teams fall off a cliff. Let him and his DOF have a look where the problems lie before they are encumbered by an interim.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
"The quote has seeped into the cultural zeitgeist, resonating with many due to its intuitive grasp of human folly" - ChatGPT
I know it sounds crazy. How about assigned an AI to manage our club? AI to pick up our staring line up, substitutions, training method, strategy and stuffs. It’s just interim thing anyway, and I think it’s about time we can try something very different.

OmarUnited4ever

Feck this interim shit, bring a good coach right away and proceed with the rebuild why wait till season is over

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'd say let's build the structure first ie a couple directors at board level that understand football, a CEO, a Sporting director/DOF, a head of recruitment + fitness people/sport scientists that are best in class. Once the structure is there then an assessment needs to be done. Once that assessment is made then changes needs to be done. In that way the players are basically fecked. They can't blame things on the fitness people and the decision on whether they are good enough or not will be taken away from the man that they can work against to have him sacked.
Agreed, I guess the CEO and DOF are going to be key recruitments, as they dictate the fitness and sport science people and act on the recruiting teams recommendations (if you look at who our scouts tend to bring forward, they know their onions). I'm not fully convinced with Mitchell based on the job he did at Monaco, which would be more like what we are than a well oiled RB machine.

devilish

Agreed, I guess the CEO and DOF are going to be key recruitments, as they dictate the fitness and sport science people and act on the recruiting teams recommendations (if you look at who our scouts tend to bring forward, they know their onions). I'm not fully convinced with Mitchell based on the job he did at Monaco, which would be more like what we are than a well oiled RB machine.
the 'big bang moment' will occur when and if we decide to switch from a pure business to a football club. That will change everything. It means that money will be diverted away from the betterment of the brand into football facilities, that decisions will be taken according to what the football club needs, people will be introduced because of their experience and their abilities rather then because they are yes men and players won't be kept because their value can be added to some number in a spread sheet. I assure you that the likes of Marotta and Mitchell wouldn't stick long with the Glazers. They have a reputation to defend and they will jump ship just as Marotta did when Juventus insisted on Ronaldo despite making zero football/money sense for them.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I just don't see how an interim can control the dressing room/ get the respect out of our bunch of tossers.

If ETH goes I think you need to make it a perm replacement - even if it's just a two year contract. Otherwise you're cutting him off at the legs before he's even started.

Skills

Snitch
I just don't see how an interim can control the dressing room/ get the respect out of our bunch of tossers.

If ETH goes I think you need to make it a perm replacement - even if it's just a two year contract. Otherwise you're cutting him off at the legs before he's even started.
Are you talking about the players ETH brought in?

crossy1686

career ending

Do you not think that a group of highly paid professionals desperately want to win and be successful?

The key to that is putting someone in charge that isn't a dick. Man management is a massive part of managing.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Look at it from Murtough/Arnold perspective. They are the ones that brought ETH and their jobs are on the line as well. There is no other way for them to survive unless ten Hag miraculously turns it around or they make another long term appointment who will miraculously turn it around (there is no obvious candidate). And even then it is far from certain they will stay.

An interim is pretty much a resignation from them at this point because it would set up things perfectly for a fresh start on all levels if Ratcliffe really takes over football sides of things. Am not saying that interim is wrong, just trying to look at it from their perspective and the whole mess with the club. Personally, wouldn't mind someone like Lopetegui to try and hold things together. As for players, they fully deserved half a year under Roy Keane, so I wouldn't be opposed to that either and am not even joking.

Interim won't happen unless there is a full collapse and we start to lose against relegation fodder.

In any case, this has potential to be a very, very long and hard to watch season. Even for our post Ferguson standards.

Jim Beam

There is very little choice if he lost the players.. Or they aren't responding to him, whatever you like to call it. And am not certain they do.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of players who deserve to be shown door as well (yes, there are quite a few tossers in there), but they might temporarily respond to a different person which would set us well for the fresh start next season.

parmenio

Wait for Ratcliffe to come in. The season is rotton for Utd now, unless 2 or 3 teams fall off a cliff. Let him and his DOF have a look where the problems lie before they are encumbered by an interim.
Surely Ratcliffe is already working away at the problems and planning how they will fix. A definite no to an interim for me. The right manager will come when called were Man Utd meant to be biggest club in world time to act like it.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Why would any manager worth his salt want to come to United, where others have come with lofty ideals and failed miserably? The club is rotten from top to bottom under the current hierarchy. I’m struggling to see what appeal this job will hold for any manager, both established and up and coming.

Kinky Melinky

We literally did this last time and the players knew he was an interim and couldn’t be fecked any more than they were under Solskjaer.

We need new owners and a new footballing structure before we bother getting a new manager.
Yup.

Marcus

The players don't respect the full-time manager. Why would they give an interim one the time of day? We stick with EtH till end of the season and look for another permanent manager if he is showing no signs of improving the team then.

Kinky Melinky

Do you not think that a group of highly paid professionals desperately want to win and be successful?

The key to that is putting someone in charge that isn't a dick. Man management is a massive part of managing.
The track record shows us that it's far more likely these players keep turning on managers. It's far less likely that every manager coincidentally happened to be bad man managers. The culture at United from the owners right down to the players is beyond toxic. There is no pride because the club is run without pride, so the players have no shame. They'll just turn on the manager when the shit hits the fan because they've been able to do it before. Players years ago would be ashamed to do this because it was such an honour to live and die for the crest.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
There is very little choice if he lost the players.. Or they aren't responding to him, whatever you like to call it. And am not certain they do.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of players who deserve to be shown door as well (yes, there are quite a few tossers in there), but they might temporarily respond to a different person which would set us well for the fresh start next season.
Don't get me wrong, I think ETH should probably go - but I think we need to not go with "interim" and just make someone our manager.

I do, but I also think our group of highly paid professionals would quite easily down tools if things aren't going their way /to their liking - especially if it's with an "interim" as they'll know they will definitley outlast them.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Don't get me wrong, I think ETH should probably go - but I think we need to not go with "interim" and just make someone our manager.

I do, but I also think our group of highly paid professionals would quite easily down tools if things aren't going their way /to their liking - especially if it's with an "interim" as they'll know they will definitley outlast them.
The only thing professional about our players is their fecking wages.

Jim Beam

Thought the same, but with no obvious candidate around and us probably putting a new structure in the summer am actually starting to think it might be the best choice we have. Steady the ship and have a clean start from the next season. Also, I don't believe Arnold/Murtough will make a right choice. And if they are the ones who decide on a permanent manager, there will probably be more scrutiny for that guy under Ratcliffe personnel above.

Would see how we fare in the next few matches though (until Everton at least).

crossy1686

career ending
The track record shows us that it's far more likely these players keep turning on managers. It's far less likely that every manager coincidentally happened to be bad man managers. The culture at United from the owners right down to the players is beyond toxic. There is no pride because the club is run without pride, so the players have no shame. They'll just turn on the manager when the shit hits the fan because they've been able to do it before. Players years ago would be ashamed to do this because it was such an honour to live and die for the crest.
That’s just simply not true.

The players Moyes had were Fergies team. Van Gaal was allowed to move them all on. Him and Mourinho then brought his own players in who throw them under the bus and Solsjkaer and Ten Hag brought their own guys in also.

Ten Hag has signed about 12 players in total, and you’re telling me a couple of them from previous managers, who don’t play anyway, had completely turned everyone against the manager?

Simply not true in any capacity, and neither is the comment that they don’t care and don’t want to be successful.

crossy1686

career ending

Come on man, it’s easy to sit there and say they don’t care from the comfort of your own sofa. They didn’t get to where they are now by being soft arsed who quit when it gets tough or have no pride in what they do. I see the same things as you do, a bunch of lads who look hopeless and like they haven’t got a fight in them, but that’s the result of almost a year or a manager telling you you’re shit, making you do conditioning work, not coaching your technical game and sending you out each match to fail. It’s called knowing that you’re fighting a lost cause.

It’s not about outlasting people, if you asked them all they’d genuinely say they want a world class manager who’s going to work them hard, improve their game and help them win things. So then you bring in someone like Rangnick who says 9 players need replacing, would you feel motivated to work for that bloke? Absolutely not.

Kinky Melinky

That’s just simply not true.

The players Moyes had were Fergies team. Van Gaal was allowed to move them all on. Him and Mourinho then brought his own players in who throw them under the bus and Solsjkaer and Ten Hag brought their own guys in also.

Ten Hag has signed about 12 players in total, and you’re telling me a couple of them from previous managers, who don’t play anyway, had completely turned everyone against the manager?

Simply not true in any capacity, and neither is the comment that they don’t care and don’t want to be successful.
You can argue until you're blue in the face, but I'm telling you here and now that the players couldn't give two flying hoots. They're a disgrace and have been sucked into the toxicity of the club and it's structure. That's how it is.

devilish

Could Mckenna be the man? He knows United very well and is doing well at Ipswich

crossy1686

career ending
You can argue until you're blue in the face, but I'm telling you here and now that the players couldn't give two flying hoots. They're a disgrace and have been sucked into the toxicity of the club and it's structure. That's how it is.
And I'm telling you that someone who has to go out in public and do their job in front of up to 80,000 people in a stadium and millions of people watching around the world, if you didn't give a hoot you wouldn't even be there in the first place.

No, that's what the fans think because they're sucked into the toxicity of the club. Do you think for one second that when Rashford is bearing down on goal all he can think about is why the Glazers haven't fixed the roof? Do you think Casemiro's given up because the Glazers are going to take a dividend? Do you think Sancho feels like a scapegoat because the Glazers won't invest in the training ground? Stop falling into the narrative that some American blokes who live in America have any fecking bearing on what happens on the training ground and during matches.

Kinky Melinky

And I'm telling you that someone who has to go out in public and do their job in front of up to 80,000 people in a stadium and millions of people watching around the world, if you didn't give a hoot you wouldn't even be there in the first place.

No, that's what the fans think because they're sucked into the toxicity of the club. Do you think for one second that when Rashford is bearing down on goal all he can think about is why the Glazers haven't fixed the roof? Do you think Casemiro's given up because the Glazers are going to take a dividend? Do you think Sancho feels like a scapegoat because the Glazers won't invest in the training ground? Stop falling into the narrative that some American blokes who live in America have any fecking bearing on what happens on the training ground and during matches.
Bizarre post. You're incredibly naive if you think that players are immune to being sucked into a clubs toxicity, just because they've managed to make it into a club as big as Manchester United. There's no point discussing this any further if you're struggling to comprehend something as straightforward as this.

ToToMarshall

Feck this interim shit, bring a good coach right away and proceed with the rebuild why wait till season is over
If you hire the guy you want now, but can't sign and sell who you want until the summer, there's a chance the wheels fall off before you've even put them on, and the toxic nature of everything makes his position untenable before he's even really started.

crossy1686

career ending
Bizarre post. You're incredibly naive if you think that players are immune to being sucked into a clubs toxicity, just because they've managed to make it into a club as big as Manchester United. There's no point discussing this any further if you're struggling to comprehend something as straightforward as this.
So despite them managing to win every trophy outside of the PL and CL, finish 2nd in the PL more than once and play some good football at times, you think they've all given up because the Glazers, who sit in America 99% of the time, still own the club and pay their wages? Absolutely nothing to do with the guy who takes training and sets the tactics?

Kinky Melinky

So despite them managing to win every trophy outside of the PL and CL, finish 2nd in the PL more than once and play some good football at times, you think they've all given up because the Glazers, who sit in America 99% of the time, still own the club and pay their wages? Absolutely nothing to do with the guy who takes training and sets the tactics?
You're over simplifying the situation and putting words in my mouth. This is a far more complex situation than simply blaming the manager. I haven't even mentioned the Glazers yet you're off on a tangent about them like a complete lunatic.