International Duties: May 2012

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
U19 European Championships Semi Final.
England U19s‬ v Greece.
Kick Off - 14:45 bst.
Live on Eurosport.

Line up; Johnstone, Dier, Robinson, Keane, Thorpe(c), Chalobah, Barkley, Lundstram, Hall, Berahino, Afobe.

Reds in bold.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Spain vs France at 2000 in the other semifinal...I haven't seen England yet but this has largely been an impressive tournament, IMHO...Some great football been on display so probably some entertaining football still ahead

SkeppyRed

Ht 0 -1. England been the better team but behind.

Johnstone came to catch from a corner but was caught out and greek headed into empty net.

Right on half time england were wrongly awarded a penalty and the greek keeper was sent off despite getting the ball when Afobe went round him and went to to ground. The penalty was poor by Hall and the greek sub keeper saved it.

Thorpe and Keane two of England best players so far. Everton players Lundstram and Barkley particularly impressing in midfield.

SkeppyRed

Ft 1-1. Et coming up.

Afobe with the equalizer. Attack against defence at the moment with England struggling to break down a determined greek side.

Heffo

Lost 2-1, poor game and England lacked the imagintion required to break down a resilient Greek side even though they had 10 men.

Pity because the team was crying out for someone like a Larnell Cole or a Joh McEachran imo.

Considering the two players I just mentioned could have been included as well a players like Powell and Chamberlain England could have been much stronger. Would like to know which players clubs didn't want to release and which players Blake simply didn't pick.

I wonder if Spain or France had any similar problems of not being able to include their top players in that age bracket?

SkeppyRed

Yep spot on Heffo, agree about Larnell Cole. England had no cutting edge in the end but you missed a big reason why...no Will Keane.

All three United lads did well but Thorpe and Johnstone blotted their books as they were both partially at fault for the goals.

Chelsea's Chalaboah is a talent but badly lacks football intelligence(concentration, decisions, etc) Not that he cant be coached these things as he is young.

Barkley was impressive and England best player.

Heffo

Yep spot on Heffo, agree about Larnell Cole. England had no cutting edge in the end but you missed a big reason why...no Will Keane.

All three United lads did well but Thorpe and Johnstone blotted their books as they were both partially at fault for the goals.

Chelsea's Chalaboah is a talent but badly lacks football intelligence(concentration, decisions, etc) Not that he cant be coached these things as he is young.

Barkley was impressive and England best player.
Ye I didn't include Keane because he missed out through injury whereas as far as I'm aware the others were all fit and just weren't involved for one reason or another. But you're right he certainly could have made a difference in unlocking the Greek defence. Another player I forgot to mention was Conor Wickham who was pretty important for this England team when they won the u-17 equivalent of this competition 2 years ago. Not sure if he missed this one through injury or is he simply considered an u-21 now?

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I wonder if Spain or France had any similar problems of not being able to include their top players in that age bracket?
Spain have a few that are even younger like Grimaldo who is 16, Deulofeu who is 18 and 4 others who are 17

France was almost all 19 years of age

Great semifinal tonight between these two, btw...Spain won in penalties, meets Greece, whom they beat in the group stage, for the Championship

PS18

Got to go down as a big disappointment for England given this was the generation that won the U17 Euros (beating this Spain generation). Mix of reasons why the squad wasn't as strong as it could/should be - injury can't be helped obviously but some very strange decisions there. McEachran, Wickham, maybe Wisdom are obvious omissions from the U17 group, Powell and Todd Kane should have been in there too. The defensive make-up of this squad always looked suspect in particular.

Not sure how much blame the FA/other coaches have to take - I know McEachran/Wickham have apparently been deemed to be U21s now, although Will Keane's also been in the 21s but would have surely gone, so it's hardly a consistent policy. Noel Blake never convinces as a manager though - I'm sure he's a very good coach but his teams consistently don't produce what you'd expect from the players involved and play largely uninspiring football.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I don't like Blake as a coach, his sides are spirited & disciplined but rarely show much ambition...It's a very vanilla approach but hey maybe that's the best he can do with what he has at his disposal

I'm still a bit blown away by how good this Spanish side has been (save the center of defense, which is a joke)...Really like Denis Suarez, I can see why Barcelona was so keen on trying go land him before City swooped in

SkeppyRed

I actually dont rate Wickham as someone who has fantastic potential. He stood out in the u17 championships because he was twice the size of every other player in the tournament. Technically he is average. I think over the last season or so at Sunderland this has become apparent. He will make a good PL striker at best.

However he is only 19 so plenty of time to prove me wrong.

Anyway my England u19 eleven in a perfect world would be;

------------Johnstone------------
----------------------------------
-----------Keane--Thorpe---------
Kane-----------------------Blackett
-----------Chalaboalah------------
------Barkley----Mccheachran-----
Cole---------------------------AOC
-------------Keane----------------

Subs; Lundstram, Powell, Sterling...

Others may not agree but its just my opinion. Means nothing but an exciting team on paper none the less. Shows that we have got some good talent at that age group and all of these players are technically excellent. Apologies for some of the spelling of names btw.

Heffo

Spain have a few that are even younger like Grimaldo who is 16, Deulofeu who is 18 and 4 others who are 17

France was almost all 19 years of age

Great semifinal tonight between these two, btw...Spain won in penalties, meets Greece, whom they beat in the group stage, for the Championship
Sorry, I wasn't referring to the ages of the players. I was wondering whether or not Spain had any top players at this level missing through pre-season opportunities with their clubs or anything similar.

Ye it was an entertaining game, Spain seem to be doing their best to ensure all their games are goal fill by being great in attack and completely incompetent defensively. Would imagine they should dispose of Greece without too much trouble but then again anything could happen.

Heffo

I actually dont rate Wickham as someone who has fantastic potential. He stood out in the u17 championships because he was twice the size of every other player in the tournament. Technically he is average. I think over the last season or so at Sunderland this has become apparent. He will make a good PL striker at best.

However he is only 19 so plenty of time to prove me wrong.

Anyway my England u19 eleven in a perfect world would be;

------------Johnstone------------
-----------Keane--Thorpe---------
Kane-----------------------Blackett
-----------Chalaboalah------------
------Barkley----Mccheachran-----
Cole---------------------------AOC
-------------Keane----------------

Subs; Lundstram, Powell, Sterling...

Others may not agree but its just my opinion. Means nothing but an exciting team on paper none the less. Shows that we have got some good talent at that age group and all of these players are technically excellent. Apologies for some of the spelling of names btw.
I'm not convinced he'll make it at the top level either but I still think he would have been an asset to this particular team. Also found it strange that Harry Kane was never introduced as I thought he seemed one of the players more likely to make something happen against France.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Sorry, I wasn't referring to the ages of the players. I was wondering whether or not Spain had any top players at this level missing through pre-season opportunities with their clubs or anything similar.
Can't speak about France but Spain, the International youth tournaments are prioritized in Spain - clubs are effectively obliged to release them

Ye it was an entertaining game, Spain seem to be doing their best to ensure all their games are goal fill by being great in attack and completely incompetent defensively. Would imagine they should dispose of Greece without too much trouble but then again anything could happen.
Very incompetent but definitely entertaining as well...Greek match earlier in the tournament was a tale of two halves - in fact Spain were lucky to escape with the 3 pts in the 2nd half...I suspect they will both be very motivated and rate their respective chances...Spain should win it but wouldn't surprise me if Greece won as well

MPTutd

What concerns me with the England youth teams is that they still go for size and power over ability. The likes of Thorne and Coady are just big lunps with little ability.

oskarutd

Gollini picked for Italy u-18s.

Link.

Marnick Vermijl for Belgium u-21s against Scotland.

Link.

Nani picked for Portugal.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Robbie Brady playing for Ireland U-21s tonight. Apparently would have got the nod for the senior team otherwise.

Brady: I’m ready to step up for Ireland

Robbie Brady is hoping to help Ireland boost their chances of reaching the U-21 Euro finals before turning his thoughts to continuing his progress at Manchester United

By John Fallon

Tuesday August 14 2012

ROBBIE BRADY will feel at home in the Showgrounds tonight (7.30), but he knows bigger stages beckon.

Brady has scored in all of Ireland's four U-21 games played in Sligo over the past 12 months -- he also scored in the game played in Tallaght -- and the reverence in which the Manchester United winger is held is the main reason for another sell-out crowd for the must-win Euro qualifier against Turkey. Club and country are both ready to push the 21-year-old onto a higher plain -- Alex Ferguson brought Brady on United's pre-season tour, and Giovanni Trapattoni would have handed him his senior debut in Serbia tomorrow but for this qualifier.

Amid the fanfare is a young man comfortable in his own skin. Brady has been dazzling defenders since he was a nine-year-old playing for St Kevin's Boys -- and all good things come to those who wait. "It was a great boost to hear the manager wanted me to go to Belgrade because making my senior debut is a major aim of mine," said the Dubliner. "This U-21 game is important, though. We've worked hard as a group over the past year to get to this point (close to qualifying) and I want to be around for it. "But I know I'm ready for that step-up. Whenever the time is right and he (Trap) wants me, I'll be delighted to go with them."

Euro 2012 might well have been the right time to blood Brady, but Trapattoni is nothing if not predictable and the Italian wasn't prepared to take a punt despite the raw talent the player possesses in spades. Not firmly on the Italian's radar, it's a case of when -- rather than if -- that graduation happens. Like his namesake Keane was when he made the step-up, this Robbie won't be fazed mixing it among the senior servants. Far from it, in fact, as a recent video he posted on the internet proves. "As a newcomer to the (United) first team, I had to sing a song in front of the lads while in Germany last week," he said. "I didn't mind doing it at all. Scott Wootton and I did a duet and it was a bit of fun. I think it was (Dimitar) Berbatov who stuck the video on Twitter, and it seems to have gone around the internet now."

Brady's impact during United's pre-season training over the past three weeks has Ferguson pondering a change of route for his Irish starlet, who has signed a new two-year contract. While it's his wizardry on the wing that will have the Sligo punters on the edge of their seats tonight, left-back is the position for which Brady has been lined up to challenge at United for the campaign ahead. After a successful season on loan in the Championship with Hull City, another temporary switch was in the offing until Brady's impressive showing on his debut against AmaZulu in Durban planted a seed of thought in Ferguson's mind. "On the first day back in pre-season, the gaffer put me into left-back and I had a feeling that was the way he was thinking for me," said Brady. "I had to learn quickly but I'm very comfortable playing at left-back. I'm not a bad tackler, decent in the air, but maybe I have to work on my positional sense as a defender. The manager was happy, though. "We'll have to wait and see what happens between now and the start of the season next week, but they've no real cover for Patrice Evra. I think I'm first in line if anything happens to him, unless they sign someone in the meantime.

DELIGHTED

"I'd be open to staying around United this season because I'd be delighted to do a job for the first team." First up, however, is international business. "Qualification is in our hands and that's what we have been aiming for from the outset," said Brady. "Beating Turkey would push us close to getting at least a play-off for a place in the finals. "It's been a mad few weeks but it's all been very enjoyable. I got home with from United's trip to Hannover at 3.30am on Sunday, caught a bit of sleep and was then back up for a 12 noon flight from Liverpool to Knock. It's been well worth it, though."
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/brady-im-ready-to-step-up-for-ireland-3200219.html

jb8521

Sutherland, Blackett, Powell and Barmby are in the England under 19s squad for a game against Germany

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Any United lads involved in the u21 games tonight?

Mods, could you change the title of this thread to International Youth Duties or something like that?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Doesn't seem like it. Amos on the bench. That's all I can find. Surely Henriquez is involved with Chile?

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Yeah, I reckon so. They play France in 40 mins and there are streams to be found at the usual places.

jb8521

4 United players in the England squad for the Victory Shield which starts tomorrow live on Sky Sports 2 at 7.45 PM. The players involved are Dean Henderson, Cameron Borthwick Jackson, Marcus Rashford and Demetre Mitchell

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Apparently there's a lad names on Jordan Thompson playing for Northern Ireland team, who is with us. He's still a schoolboy, so can't sign forms with us.

Drainy

Mitchell just scored a stunner, run from just inside the half way line beat a couple of men then scored from 20 yards.

Was just thinking he wasn't really in the game much at that point.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He's miles better at football than everyone else on the pitch.

It's like someone's cheating dad is playing in order to make themselves look good.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Which number is he? Any other United players on the pitch?

jb8521

Mitchell really does seem to have an eye for the spectacular

jb8521

Cameron Borthwick Jackson on for the second half at left back

jb8521

Sam Byrne has been called up to the Irish U19 team for the first time. Part of the squad for the UEFA U19 championship.
Good stuff. Hes starting to look more like a striker now seems a lot more confident and focused on scoring goals where as last year he looked like he was just happy to do the hard work for the team. I thought his improvement over the course of last year was very impressive and hes come back this season bigger and stronger aswell.