International Duties: May 2012

mo0

International Youth Duties

should note that there are 3 big matches coming up at U19 level for England featuring a core set of United players. if England progress, that same group would be lining up this July for the finals in Estonia.

biggest news is of course Michael Keane [finally] swapping over to represent England with his U17 European Championship winning twin, Will :D

he was supposed to take part in a February friendly, but his clearance didn't come through in time from FIFA...

anyway. one match is being televised.

United Players

• Sam Johnstone
  • Michael Keane
  • William Keane
  • Tom Thorpe called up to replace Luke Garbutt
  • Larnell Cole - pulled out injured

England U19 Fixtures

May 25 – Slovenia
May 27 – Montenegro
May 30 – Switzerland (live on FATV)

All matches kick-off at 1930 GMT.

----

unaware of any other internationals involving our players (Nathan Ake of Chelsea was part of their U17 squad at the conclusion of that tournament, for example)...but list them if you know them!

Ralaks

Robbie Brady will play against Denmark in Dublin on the 28th for the Irish u21 team.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Moo, any reason Tyler Blackett isn't in the squad? Who is England's left back?

Also, Ryan Tunnicliffe never seems to get a look in at that level anymore either. Tom Thorpe is no longer a centre back judging by his season at United and I'd have thought Tunnicliffe would be the better option of the two in midfield.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Also, Ryan Tunnicliffe never seems to get a look in at that level anymore either. Tom Thorpe is no longer a centre back judging by his season at United and I'd have thought Tunnicliffe would be the better option of the two in midfield.
Can't answer the first bit but Jack Robinson at Liverpool and Bidwell for us (Everton) are capable of playing LB.

SkeppyRed

Can't answer the first bit but Jack Robinson at Liverpool and Bidwell for us (Everton) are capable of playing LB.
Ah cheers, yeh I see why they are ahead of him as well. Both are a year older than Tyler and have had first team experience.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Found it odd how Tunners has never got a chance with England.

PS18

Thorpe's not played centre-back much this season but pretty sure that that still is and will be his position. He replaced a defender in the squad as well so I assume that's how the U19 boss sees him.

Tunnicliffe's had a fair few England call-ups, just hasn't had that good a season ultimately. Was disappointing in the main after he came back from Peterboro.

mo0

SkeppyRed / KM

Blackett made the U18 squad in November...that squad acted as a go-between for the U17s as they progressed through to U19 level. only Eric Dier has made the step up to this current U19 tournament squad. expect him competing next season.

Nick is bang on. Tunnicliffe has played 10 times for England at youth level. during his Posh loan he was called up for the 19s early in 2011. i believe he pulled out due to injury.

Jack Robinson should be our 1st choice LB. i like him a lot! it's a strong U19 side, needless to say.

mo0

Michael Keane, William Keane, Tom Thorpe, Sam Johnstone - all played the full 90 in a 5-0 win over Slovenia. Keane scored twice, Thorpe once, Todd Kane, Chalobah with the other two.

mo0

against Slovenia, he did. also started against Montenegro there, before moving into a holding midfield role.

England drew 1-1 today, late goal from Afobe. Will Keane brought on for a struggling Bamford at half-time. Michael played the full 90, as did Johnstone and Thorpe.

Johnstone was captain for the first match as well fwiw.

what i don't get is how Thorpe was a replacement player...yet has played the full two matches. it is decisions like that which baffle.

PS18

Noel Blake and baffling decisions tend to go hand-in-hand I've always thought...

mo0

:) agree

i firmly believe England could do a lot better than him. 17s, 18s, 19s, 20s should all be part of a rotational coaching program. 21s bringing in 'talented' support staff. but what do i know.

PS18

Going back to the Tunnicliffe discussion - just occured to me when talking with someone about why Jesse Lingard isn't involved that Ryan's too old for U19s now anyway, so that whole discussion was moot!

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Looks like a serious injury for Keane there. Trevor Brooking thinks its an ankle but it looks like an ACL to me.

Heffo

U-19 squad announced:

Goalkeepers: Sam Johnstone (Manchester United), Connor Ripley (Middlesbrough).

Defenders: Eric Dier (Sporting Lisbon), Luke Garbutt (Everton), Michael Keane (Manchester United), Jack Robinson (Liverpool), Tom Thorpe (Manchester United).

Midfielders: Conor Coady (Liverpool), Ross Barkley (Everton), Nathaniel Chalobah (Chelsea), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), John Lundstram (Everton), Nathan Redmond (Birmingham City), George Thorne (West Bromwich Albion).

Forwards: Benik Afobe (Arsenal), Saido Berahino (West Bromwich Albion), Robert Hall (West Ham United), Hallam Hope (Everton).

http://www.thefa.com/England/mens-u19s/News/2012/u19s-squad-announced-for-euro-finals-150612.aspx

Disappointingly no Larnell Cole who I thought might have been recalled. Also I think I'm right in saying Nick Powell is still available for selection at this age group? Is there any reason that he wouldn't be selected other than Noel Blake preferring others over him?

jb8521

U-19 squad announced:

Goalkeepers: Sam Johnstone (Manchester United), Connor Ripley (Middlesbrough).

Defenders: Eric Dier (Sporting Lisbon), Luke Garbutt (Everton), Michael Keane (Manchester United), Jack Robinson (Liverpool), Tom Thorpe (Manchester United).

Midfielders: Conor Coady (Liverpool), Ross Barkley (Everton), Nathaniel Chalobah (Chelsea), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), John Lundstram (Everton), Nathan Redmond (Birmingham City), George Thorne (West Bromwich Albion).

Forwards: Benik Afobe (Arsenal), Saido Berahino (West Bromwich Albion), Robert Hall (West Ham United), Hallam Hope (Everton).

http://www.thefa.com/England/mens-u19s/News/2012/u19s-squad-announced-for-euro-finals-150612.aspx

Disappointingly no Larnell Cole who I thought might have been recalled. Also I think I'm right in saying Nick Powell is still available for selection at this age group? Is there any reason that he wouldn't be selected other than Noel Blake preferring others over him?
Yeah Powell is still eligible and is eligible again next year so it appears Blake is preferring others over him, relying on players who got them there or letting him rest after he played pretty much every game for Crewe this season

mo0

Cole [Powell too...], as far as i can guess, are being asked in for pre-season duty. McEachran (for example) could still go. good news is Thorpe is retained, as he was a last minute replacement last time around (yet went on to play all 3 games!). lot of these guys are U17 Euro winners. Redmond the only out/out winger.

DocRockter

Anyone got a stream for England - Croatia -game? 25min 0-0 and wiziwig didn't have one..

SkeppyRed

Anyone got a stream for England - Croatia -game? 25min 0-0 and wiziwig didn't have one..
No live streams for the first two England group matches. Final match Vs France on July 9th is on TV so should be a stream for that one.

Johnstone is having a blinder so far and keeping England in it apparently.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Team sheet says Keane alongside Thorpe in the middle at the back - interesting that Michael has been moved in from full back.

Pity it's not on TV somewhere, a few good players in there that would have been good to see.

What are we going to do if Johnstone turns out awesome?

MPTutd

What are we going to do if Johnstone turns out awesome?
I already think he is awesome for his age. Very good keeper, but just difficult to see how he can developer at United. Obviously loans will be the way, but he can only do that for a few years.

PS18

Team sheet says Keane alongside Thorpe in the middle at the back - interesting that Michael has been moved in from full back.
Keane's barely played full-back for a year now, seems firmly established in the middle now.

mo0

for streams - only 1 England game will be shown. next Monday vs France. that will be on Eurosport.

mo0

FA article feat M. Keane:

England defender Michael Keane has revealed that he is willing to feed in some of his own knowledge on Serbia to his team-mates, as the Young Lions prepare to face them in their second group game of the European Championships on Friday.

The Manchester United man is in the unique position of having already come face-to-face with the Serbians this season, whilst representing the Republic Of Ireland in a friendly game last year.

After Serbia's 3-0 defeat against France in their opening match here on Tuesday, they really need three points from their clash with England now so that could lead to a more adventurous gameplan from a nation who traditionally like to sit back, soak up pressure and play on the break.

"It can maybe help us if they need to win, as it might stop them from being defensive and create some gaps for us to exploit," explained Keane, from England's Tallinn base.

"We know it will be a tough game, we will have to concentrate and hopefully we can get the right result.

"I've already played against Serbia earlier this season whilst I was with Republic Of Ireland, so I know what they're all about and what to expect."

England opened up their Euro campaign on Tuesday with a 1-1 draw against Croatia and whilst Keane feels they need to improve in their next two games, he also believes that those first match cobwebs have been blown away.

"Most of the lads have had three weeks off over the summer so it was a bit like a first pre-season game for us," he said. "You can't replicate a match situation in training and we're still getting our sharpness back so I'm sure we'll get there with more games as the competition goes on.

"It was a tough game though and we didn't start off as well as we'd planned to, but we grew into it as the game went on.

"They had the better of the first half but we were better in the second half and could've won it in the end. It's a draw and we're still in the competition, so we accept that and move on to the next game now."

Keane is still a relative newcomer to the squad, having only made his debut for England in the Elite Qualifying Round games in May, when he played a key role in all three matches to help the Lions reach the Finals here in Estonia.

Prior to that, Stockport-born Keane had represented Ireland at both U17 and U19 level, so international football wasn't completely new to him and coming from a club such as Manchester United has also helped him settle into Noel Blake's side.

"It's been really easy to settle in and the lads have all welcomed me since I first joined up," he added.

"And we play the way I like to, out from the back, so it's not been too different to what I'm used to at club level which has definitely helped me."

Of course, the England squad are unfortunately missing Michael's twin brother Will, who sustained a cruciate knee injury in the final qualifying match with Switzerland in Preston in May.

Whilst Will continues to recover back in Manchester, he is in constant touch with his sibling and continues to cheer on his team-mates from home.

"He's obviously in contact and has been asking about how everyone is doing and playing," revealed Michael. "He wishes he could be here with us, so that's unfortunate but I'm sure he'll be back.

"His operation went as well as it could have gone and he's on the long road to recovery now. It will be six to nine months, but they're not going to rush it.

"He's getting better day-by-day so he just needs to stay patient and I'm sure he'll be back stronger than he was."

SkeppyRed

Game vs france is on live at 6pm uk time. Its on europsport but streams will most likely also be available. Pogba is french captain:mad: and Thorpe is England skipper. Johnstone should start for England in goal and Michael Keane started the first game but not the second so not sure whether he will be in the team or not for this.

England need a draw to qualify for the next round.

SkeppyRed

Kick off in 15 minutes. Pogba on bench for France. Thorpe (captain) and Johnstone start for England with Michael Keane on bench as he has a slight groin problem apparently.

DocRockter

HT 1-2 England... Kundstram and Kane scored for England.. France pushing forward but their defencers are running around like chickens and the keeper is to blame for the both ENG goals..

Thorpe is playing very well.. Chemistry with Johnstone is showing.

SkeppyRed

Finished 2-1. England top the group which means they play Greece in the semi and avoid Spain for now.

Thorpe was excellent, showed more composure in possession than the midfielders despite playing CB. Chabaloah was also very good imo.

Johnstone had a awful moment in the first half which he got away with but was solid apart from that. Didnt even have a save to make second half, despite England being camped in their own half for most of it.

England are doing well in terms of results considering some big talent they are missing. Off the top of my head players who didn't play today but were eligible are;

-Will and Michael Keane (there but didn't play today), Larnell Cole, and Tyler Blackett from us.

-Todd Kane from Chelsea.

-Ross Barkley from Everton (there but didn't play today).

-I also think AOC from Arsenal and Nick Powell are also eligible.

I dont think anyone could argue England don't have their fair share of talented young players coming through.

SkeppyRed

Thanks, edited now. Only just misses out, similar to Jesse Lingard.