International football beefs: who does your nation hate, and why?

CallyRed

Welsh people definitely don’t support England at rugby and take immense joy in seeing them lose. Well at least I do. Football I’m pretty neutral on. Although I did find Kane missing by so much funny I did want him to score before he skied it as the game was a great watch.
Yes I can understand Rugby, being Wales national sport and all. Though I thought maybe having the British & Irish Lions helps with the hate... Maybe just a romantic thought :lol:
I always want the home nations to beat the Southern Hemisphere sides etc (and the French!!)

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
From a Welsh point of view nearly everyone I've spoken to about this world cup wanting England to lose is more down to the media overload that happens every time rather than the actual team or players being hated.

A lot of us support English clubs it's the media who most can't stand.

Shearer bringing up the Welsh dressing room video within about 15 seconds of the coverage starting with his smugness is just one example but people were actually betting how long it would take.

Also spending most of the build up to the earlier match in the day talking about England when they weren't playing for hours later is another example.
As a Welshman I hate England for everything, including our history of oppression at their hands. I didn't know you were Welsh though, I was sure you were Norwegian.

Lyng

As a Welshman I hate England for everything, including our history of oppression at their hands. I didn't know you were Welsh though, I was sure you were Norwegian.
Well Norway is kind of the Wales of Scandinavia anyway :D

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
If it's any consolation i probably dislike the England rugby team as much as you do.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If it's any consolation i probably dislike the England rugby team as much as you do.
To be fair everyone hate them, it's the only team that unites the world.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
England have to be way up there for a bunch of nations.

Argentina, Scotland and Ireland for sure?

Do the Welsh care as much? Maybe the Australians?

Maybe the Germans (but I read that their rivalry is against the French and it's mostly England fans that care about that rivalry)?
Scotland hates England with proper passion. It's not uncommon to see us lift our kilts on the border line to take a shit.

Wales is irrelevant because it isn't a real country. Australia is 96% spiders.

CallyRed

Scotland hates England with proper passion. It's not uncommon to see us lift our kilts on the border line to take a shit.

Wales is irrelevant because it isn't a real country. Australia is 96% spiders.
That's where I grow my crops , thought my carrots were a bit off

Stookie

Nurse bell end
It depends where I am. I work with a lot of people from Scotland, Ireland Wales and found myself cheering them on because the people I work with are absolutely sound and people I class as not colleague’s but friends. Then I come on here and can feel completely the other way when reading the usual anti English stuff.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I would say you definitely have a rivalry with Ireland, the most one sided rivalry in football perhaps.

It reminds me of the elevator scene in Mad Men.

"I feel bad for you" - Ireland
"I don't think about you at all" - France
Could say the same about England:

It's just a bit painful to watch how desperate they are for our attention.

I don't think Germany has big football rivalries anymore. I doubt many people are bothered by Holland and Italy has lost it's relevance a bit, too. Since they lost in 16 and started boycotting the WCs.

Pocho

How did the footballing hatred between Argentina and Mexico start? It seems like such a one-sided rivalry in terms of your respective accomplishments in the sport.

As a fan of MMA and boxing, I've got to say Ponzinibbio threatening Canelo Alvarez for threatening Messi was one of the odder stories surrounding this WC :lol:

https://www.mmafighting.com/2022/11...ening-lionel-messi-mess-with-entire-argentina
hahah I don’t know, all i can say is that they hate us or It’s what I’ve seen in social media but the few times i went to Mexico there were plenty of them in Argentine players shirts, quite bizarre.

Karmapolice

has anyone been following the unhinged racist German reactions towards the moroccan team?:lol::lol:
no one does batsh#t insane racism quite like german media

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Could say the same about England:
Yeah now that you posted it that's definitely where I learned that the rivalry between England and Germany is really only important on the English side.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Yeah now that you posted it that's definitely where I learned that the rivalry between England and Germany is really only important on the English side.
I especially liked the constant: "you're just salty about that friendly England once won big against the Germans!" when pointing this out. Like a sad caricature.

scottser

From an Ireland fan, in no particular order:
England, obviously because of their arrogance and sense of entitlement.
France, because of Terry Henry's handball
Turkey, because of the post-match assault on Cascarino.

Then take your pick of the naht-zeee skinhead types from around eastern europe like Bulgaria and Moldova who are more interested in throwing a bin through a chipper window than the actual match.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I especially liked the constant: "you're just salty about that friendly England once won big against the Germans!" when pointing this out. Like a sad caricature.
I'm 30. I can't say i've experienced anyone in my generation or younger who particularly dislikes the German national team.

Died out with the remnants of our hooligan following in the early 00's.

Yeah you get the usual German bombers song nonsense but that's just 'cos we don't really have anything else.

TheReligion

Abusive
I'm 30. I can't say i've experienced anyone in my generation or younger who particularly dislikes the German national team.

Died out with the remnants of our hooligan following in the early 00's.

Yeah you get the usual German bombers song nonsense but that's just 'cos we don't really have anything else.
Yeah I think it’s all quite outdated these days but still gets thrown about. The media doesn’t help granted.

I don’t know anyone who is anti German or particularly bothered about them is a sporting sense. Not more so than any other large international fixture anyway.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Germany and it's because it's full of germans!

Old Ma Crow

As an England fan paraphrasing WC Fields - I’m not not prejudiced I hate all other teams equally.

Herman Toothrot

I used to have irrational beef with other countries, but it's nonsense whipped up by nationalists. The English press is the worst for it and, let's face it, this division has led England to become a much worse-off country as a result. I enjoy the games at international tournaments much more now I don't really give a shit who wins.

Glaswegian

They aren’t Scottish though because they align with the scummy English.

Get with it!
To be fair, though mate. Rangers fans, the vast majority, will argue with you til they are blue in the face that they are British and not Scottish.

As for the question, everyone of us here views our historic rivals as rivals in football, too, regardless of how they rank in the world standings. Aye, Scotland are pish, achieved absolutely eff all, doesn't stop the support getting a laugh at the English national team when they fail, and vice versa.

Something different about England and Scotland when it comes to our support for the national teams, is England, seem to be able to put club rivalries aside and come together to support the national team. That isn't really the case up here, all the Rangers supporting guys I work with and those that I grew up with always supported England over Scotland, because they couldn't cheer on a Celtic player, and the same for my Celtic supporting colleagues and mates, couldn't cheer on a Rangers player.

I think if you asked Scots, your club team wins a European trophy or the national team wins the World Cup, the majority would choose their club. There is more of a tribalism up here, I feel. Then again, my view of England and their support is what is presented through the media, and my observations on the Scottish national teams fans are anecdotal and are only based on what I see and hear around Glasgow.

Bit of a digression.

EDIT to add:

I absolutely hate Aberdonians, and folk from Edinburgh, and half the inhabitants of Glasgow, but especially Aberdonians. I take great pleasure in those Red faced, sheep molesting erseholes, traipsing all over the world to watch Scotland get absolutely horsed off minnows. No voting, kilt wearing, only ever relevant in the 80s, shower of bawbags.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
I know it's from a song, but i've seen and heard a lot of of English people who generally think that England are way better than they actually are, so it's not a stretch to think that loads of people actually believe the "It's coming home thing"
Exactly this. It was a funny song in 1996 and I agree it was self mocking to an extent.
There is no trace of that now. Its a full blown war cry usually sung by drunken idiots with the intent of winding up rival fans. It works so that's why they do it.
If was just thought of as a daft song it would have long been resigned to the same bin as World in motion and Vindaloo.

tothetop96

I would say you definitely have a rivalry with Ireland, the most one sided rivalry in football perhaps.

It reminds me of the elevator scene in Mad Men.

"I feel bad for you" - Ireland
"I don't think about you at all" - France

Ireland and England have played 8 times since 1988.

1W 6D 1L for both teams.

In fact in one of those recorded draws Ireland were winning 1-0 and the match had to be called off because of English fans rioting.

Yeah Ireland are shit now but the recent record against England is very even.

Oranges038

has anyone been following the unhinged racist German reactions towards the moroccan team?:lol::lol:

I don't know much German, what I've learned I picked up by throwing spanners into a washing machine.

Looks and sounds to me like they are somehow linking the football team to those who follow a particular religion and like guns. Nice.

A great bunch of lads.

TheReligion

Abusive
To be fair, though mate. Rangers fans, the vast majority, will argue with you til they are blue in the face that they are British and not Scottish.

As for the question, everyone of us here views our historic rivals as rivals in football, too, regardless of how they rank in the world standings. Aye, Scotland are pish, achieved absolutely eff all, doesn't stop the support getting a laugh at the English national team when they fail, and vice versa.

Something different about England and Scotland when it comes to our support for the national teams, is England, seem to be able to put club rivalries aside and come together to support the national team. That isn't really the case up here, all the Rangers supporting guys I work with and those that I grew up with always supported England over Scotland, because they couldn't cheer on a Celtic player, and the same for my Celtic supporting colleagues and mates, couldn't cheer on a Rangers player.

I think if you asked Scots, your club team wins a European trophy or the national team wins the World Cup, the majority would choose their club. There is more of a tribalism up here, I feel. Then again, my view of England and their support is what is presented through the media, and my observations on the Scottish national teams fans are anecdotal and are only based on what I see and hear around Glasgow.

Bit of a digression.

EDIT to add:

I absolutely hate Aberdonians, and folk from Edinburgh, and half the inhabitants of Glasgow, but especially Aberdonians. I take great pleasure in those Red faced, sheep molesting erseholes, traipsing all over the world to watch Scotland get absolutely horsed off minnows. No voting, kilt wearing, only ever relevant in the 80s, shower of bawbags.
Interesting, especially the bold bit.

From a United fan perspective, and someone from Manchester, I’d always put club success before country but I’d never go to the extent of not supporting the national team due to club alignment.

The Scottish regional hate is intriguing too as it seems very strong! In England there’s a North/South divide generally but that’s rooted in most of the poverty being up North and less money being spent by the government the further away you get from London.

Northern England probably has more in common with Scotland than it does with Southern England.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I've been quite surprised to find out, also from my boss yesterday, that the Netherlands apparently have a rivalry with Argentina. I've never been aware of that. Certainly the 1978 final is regretted, but I've never noticed that it led to lingering feelings against Argentina in the Netherlands. Recent games (1998 quarter finals, 2014 semis) have also just been games. I think it's just the heat of the moment during the match and the Argentinians taking exception at what are really just some typical Van Gaal quotes.

Even the Dutch rivalry with Germany is now purely performative; there's no real rivalry left. Maybe some very old people still really feel that way, but in general - nah. Belgium used to be another rival and those matches used to be very highly contested, but I think that was gone already by the 90s, probably even earlier.

If you ask me, Dutch international football is now mostly just a carnival for the fans.
I can't recall the last time I saw the Argentines as riled up by a non-South American opponent or Mexico, so it made me wonder if there was something more to it than just Van Gaal.

As far as I'm aware, the 'needle' began with the Ajax - Independiente game and obviously with Cruyff's influence, a global shaming of 'Argentina' rather than the club they were playing (I might be misremembering as I read the whole story some time ago now) and the Dutch were told to expect a tough time of it at the WC and particularly with the final off the back of that.

Seems more this escalation was geared towards the manager as Messi's Riquelme homage with Riquelme's pose shows? How was it all received in Dutch homes? Bemused or cursing the TV?

I think you're right, though, most of the WW2 animosities have faded the world over and will die out with those generations on the whole.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers

Bit of a digression.

EDIT to add:

Lets hope you just mean as football fans and not actual people because as a fellow Glaswegian I would be really worried if you really absolutely hate half the people of the city you live in.
Oh and don't caterogise all Rangers fans as England supporters because it really isn't true

Kopral Jono

Iran are universally hated by other AFC teams, from neighbouring Arab countries all the way to Japan and South Korea (especially the latter).

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

This has little to do with football. It's the Springer press trying to manufacture some drama. From the looks of it not entirely accidentally with a racist connotation.

TheReligion

Abusive

I don't know much German, what I've learned I picked up by throwing spanners into a washing machine.

Looks and sounds to me like they are somehow linking the football team to those who follow a particular religion and like guns. Nice.

A great bunch of lads.
Is that mainstream in Germany? Very ugly.