International peak draft

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
:lol:

I don't think Enigma would have picked Maradona, but as a general comment Maradona behind Pele and Muller would be pretty much the perfect front three. I don't quite buy all of the criticisms that get thrown around in these drafts about having 'too many cooks' or 'overlapping roles' etc, but at the same time it's clear that those three would be particularly complimentary.
I'm not entirely convinced it is a perfect front three in that it relies a lot on having great wingbacks. In these GOAT infested waters though when you can bank on that being the case, yups, it's pretty awesome (and better than Maradona-Cruyff-Ronaldo, good move denying him the choice).

I mentioned recently how I never quite liked my Maradona-Pelé combo and it has nothing to do with ball-hogging or incompatibility, more a case that I'd prefer 70 Pelé and Maradona to refer to a more classic centreforward than his 58 incarnation. Müller does that splendidly. Müller with Pelé as a more withdrawn second striker and Maradona starting from a deeper position would be unstoppable.

I'm not sure what other midfielders he has though. Didí looks surplus to requirements in such a setup and his midfield would get outfought by yours.

Enigma_87

You know who
I'm not entirely convinced it is a perfect front three in that it relies a lot on having great wingbacks. In these GOAT infested waters though when you can bank on that being the case, yups, it's pretty awesome (and better than Maradona-Cruyff-Ronaldo, good move denying him the choice).

I mentioned recently how I never quite liked my Maradona-Pelé combo and it has nothing to do with ball-hogging or incompatibility, more a case that I'd prefer 70 Pelé and Maradona to refer to a more classic centreforward than his 58 incarnation. Müller does that splendidly. Müller with Pelé as a more withdrawn second striker and Maradona starting from a deeper position would be unstoppable.

I'm not sure what other midfielders he has though. Didí looks surplus to requirements in such a setup and his midfield would get outfought by yours.
Maradona overlaps with 2 of my players - Didí and Pelé. To accommodate him I need to use 58' version of Pelé - which is not the GOAT one but young clinical striker and he'll step on Didi's toes directly in terms of playmaking and generally would make his presence superfluous.

It would look great no doubt in terms of oomph but as a balance it would be off and I'd need to drop Didi, which is a no go since him and Xavi had the greatest playmaking performances as a midfielders on international stage like ever.

I'm actually surprised G/T dropped Zidane on the back of that EURO performance and didn't go for Cafu on Zanetti or upgrading Schweini as Maradona would most likely be squaring with der Kaiser and you can't really upgrade on that to counter that 86 performance defensively, so I have a good fit for that in midfield.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Maradona overlaps with 2 of my players - Didí and Pelé. To accommodate him I need to use 58' version of Pelé - which is not the GOAT one but young clinical striker and he'll step on Didi's toes directly in terms of playmaking and generally would make his presence superfluous.

It would look great no doubt in terms of oomph but as a balance it would be off and I'd need to drop Didi, which is a no go since him and Xavi had the greatest playmaking performances as a midfielders on international stage like ever.

I'm actually surprised G/T dropped Zidane on the back of that EURO performance and didn't go for Cafu on Zanetti or upgrading Schweini as Maradona would most likely be squaring with der Kaiser and you can't really upgrade on that to counter that 86 performance defensively, so I have a good fit for that in midfield.
You would need to drop Didí, Pelé would be fine. 1970 Pelé was surrounded by #10s and it worked just fine.

Enigma_87

You know who
You would need to drop Didí, Pelé would be fine. 1970 Pelé was surrounded by #10s and it worked just fine.
yeah, but still dropping Didi is a big loss to my midfield and IMO one of the advantages I have with having the best deep playmaker in the tie.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Thanks @Annahnomoss & @green_smiley for running the draft, had a good first time experience despite losing in the first round. And congrats @Enigma_87 for winning, built a fantastic team. Look forward to the next one.

Enigma_87

You know who
Congrats mate! You're getting up near Gio now in terms of success in these drafts :)
Cheers mate! My favorite side in all time drafts so far and glad it has been well received and appreciated. :)

Thanks @Annahnomoss & @green_smiley for running the draft, had a good first time experience despite losing in the first round. And congrats @Enigma_87 for winning, built a fantastic team. Look forward to the next one.
Thanks, mate. I hope you will participate in the next ones, always good to see new faces and you'll soon find it even more addictive :)

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
congrats enigma and cheers annah and smiley for running it, this draft will always be special as i finally popped my cherry with watching Pele:wenger:

Enigma_87

You know who
congrats enigma and cheers annah and smiley for running it, this draft will always be special as i finally popped my cherry with watching Pele:wenger:
Thanks mate.

@Annahnomoss you've done a great job with the graphics I really liked them as well as the whole OP with the games and everything.

Any chance we can have the same in the next draft @Šjor Bepo ? Think it's pretty easy to navigate through matches and the graph looks excellent for a quick glimpse of how the tournament went.