International peak draft

Enigma_87

You know who
Agreed.

@Enigma_87

Some excellent footage of Chumpitaz from Copa 1975. I am pressed for time, but was planning to make some gifs for you.. but its got about 10 really good moments of Chumpitaz at his absolute best i.e. sweeping, aggressive defending, world class ability on the ball. What was impressive was the sheer amount of physicality on show.. both teams had players with tree-trunk thighs, yet the level of skill was high on both sides.
Awesome. :drool: If you have more from other games bar Brazil and some time would appreciate that. It was really special run for Peru of the golden generation and they played some exciting football with Chumpitaz at the base and Cubillas focal point of the attack.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Maldini and Pele I've picked before but haven't Moore so far and this is the best draft really to go for him. :D Should be a great game.
Sure, if you want only one English player who deserves to play this name, then his 1st name is Bobby.

Is Friday fine?

Before would generate a remake of the game Isotope/Raees.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
It is an abstract thing of course and up to everybody to decide how they take it like in the WC&Euro drafts. It worked well there and you can't put numbers on it. We're looking for the greatest performers from these tournaments who had the biggest impact on their teams success. So a Djalma who played one game should be rated as a worse player, or as a deceitful pick(not in Mazhars case), and deserves some critique. The same abstract idea applies to players who had world class performances way above their level.

They didn't suddenly possess more skills for two weeks which they then lost for the rest of their lives. But we still have to give them as much credit as they deserve for it to be a good draft. Djalma '58 shouldn't be in the draft and he wouldn't be either if it wasn't for Mazhars mistake.
I rate it as a massive brainfart seeing as Djalma 62 was immense and bang at his peak at club level too.

I blame people's assumption that if Nilton was at peak in 58 then so too was his twin, Djalma.

antohan

not that it matters for me personally as im losing anyways but i always prefer bottom places.
Same here. I reckon 13 is the sweet spot whereby you are close enough to the turn and well positioned to keep tabs on how things are shaping up.

I was first once and I hated it, although picking pairs can be quite nice.

Annahnomoss

Same here. I reckon 13 is the sweet spot whereby you are close enough to the turn and well positioned to keep tabs on how things are shaping up.

Agreed. Almost last is the best and the funniest. Straight in the middle is the worst IMO.

Enigma_87

You know who
Sure, if you want only one English player who deserves to play this name, then his 1st name is Bobby.

Is Friday fine?

Before would generate a remake of the game Isotope/Raees.
Could do Thursday(and finish on Friday) if it is fine with you mate, generally I avoid Friday-Sunday to have more traction.

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Could do Thursday(and finish on Friday) if it is fine with you mate, generally I avoid Friday-Sunday to have more traction.
I understand.

Between Monday and Friday, I can't post between 7am and 19 pm time London.

If the game starts on Thursday, I can follow the game the evening only.

Will let you know tonight

Enigma_87

You know who
I understand.

Between Monday and Friday, I can't post between 7am and 19 pm time London.

If the game starts on Thursday, I can follow the game the evening only.

Will let you know tonight
Sure, mate. I'm usually off Saturday and Sunday and more online on weekdays. Let me know to schedule the best possible time for us both to be online at most. Can do earlier as well if it is more convenient to you.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Depends on the pool. An obvious standout player and a ruthless drafter in the first spot can quickly make themselves a clear favourite. Obvious advantage in reinforcements where you get yet another first dib in the pool before the semi-final.

As a drafting experience though, somewhere relatively central so you're more engaged in the ebb and flow of the snake is probably best, while being close enough to an end where you can realistically plan double-picks. Right at the ends of the snake and you are more isolated from the pack.

Enigma_87

You know who
Depends on the pool. An obvious standout player and a ruthless drafter in the first spot can quickly make themselves a clear favourite. Obvious advantage in reinforcements where you get yet another first dib in the pool before the semi-final.

As a drafting experience though, somewhere relatively central so you're more engaged in the ebb and flow of the snake is probably best, while being close enough to an end where you can realistically plan double-picks. Right at the ends of the snake and you are more isolated from the pack.
For me it's best near the end or the beginning of the snake. If you are at the end you will most likely get a standout player in reinforcement(if you go through), while if you are at the beginning you get him straight away and another double pick at turn 2 and 3.

In the middle of the draft you end up without standout player both in the initial drafting and after the first reinforcement round(excluding of course some anomalies like all below you getting eliminated in the first round).

antohan

If the first player is so much better there's something wrong. I'd agree it works well in deep pools where picks 2-3 can still be GOATs in their role.

Best player + positional GOAT combination would always be a hard nut to crack.

The other issue is how deep the pool is for certain positions. 30 picks between each pick leaves you very exposed to runs on certain roles and having to field too many no marks.

Of course, you make your own luck there to some extent and proper planning and research makes a bigger difference. We've often seen #1 managers collapsing because they get a big name but that big name places constraints on their company/tactics making the eligible pools even more shallow and they end up with a mixed salad of a team.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
not that it matters for me personally as im losing anyways but i always prefer bottom places.
Eww, those are the worst. No wait, worst are the ones where you're stuck in no man's land - out of range for the genuine GOATs, and just to rub it in, not low enough to take solace from double dips and priority picking in reinforcement. At the top of the order, you have the chance to build your team around a standout player with a clear idea in mind - which can be a major advantage because once you design the team based on the template those players were successful in, you can basically pick and choose the upgrades for specific positions with specific characteristics in mind, whereas in bumfeck positions, you're always chopping and changing and the end result isn't always pretty from a holistic perspective.
@Raees @Invictus When's a good time for you guys ? I am free till Thursday, so would prefer before that.
I'm plugged at work till Wednesday/Thursday, dude. If we can't schedule for the weekend, maybe you should go mano-a-mano with Raees (depending on his availability). Just told him the same via PM, too:
manager vs manager will do just fine since Tuppet isn't overly argumentative and is one of the more chilled managers around. :)

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
That's why lamb drafting for reinforcements for the semis and final makes sense.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Wait... didn't he need a stopper?
He has Ancheta and Perfumo but I can see Schnellinger-Beckenbauer working like a charm, with Breitner-Andrade and Netzer in a 1972-esque side. Even Schwarzenbeck had the freedom to burst forward at times for that side and express himself occasionally. That being said, it's always nice to have the physicality of a stopper at the back but Schnellinger is one of the more wily and complete CBs around who should be a great fit for Beckenbauer afaik

Moby

Dick
He has Ancheta and Perfumo but I can see Schnellinger-Beckenbauer working like a charm, with Breitner-Andrade and Netzer in a 1972-esque side. Even Schwarzenbeck had the freedom to burst forward at times for that side and express himself occasionally. That being said, it's always nice to have the physicality of a stopper at the back but Schnellinger is one of the more wily and complete CBs around who should be a great fit for Beckenbauer afaik
Yes. Definitely Downcast/Joga FC. :D

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Surely he won't drop Blanc? Downcast loves his French star players and rightfully so.

antohan

What's the probability of #1 or #16 making it to the semi's? I think it all evens out by then and you have mid table managers fighting for the last 4 spots.
It's not 1 or 16. 2, 3, 4, 5, 12, 13, 14, 15 also play. Point is if you are 8 you are in a shit place both for draft and, most likely, reinforcements.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
It's not 1 or 16. 2, 3, 4, 5, 12, 13, 14, 15 also play. Point is if you are 8 you are in a shit place both for draft and, most likely, reinforcements.
I still say it all evens out. The probability of a team making semis is in any way relevant to the initial drafting order. #1 or #8 or #16 all have equal probability of getting a #1 pick in Semi's drafting.

antohan

I still say it all evens out. The probability of a team making semis is in any way relevant to the initial drafting order. #1 or #8 or #16 all have equal probability of getting a #1 pick in Semi's drafting.
Of course they don't. You should review Probability 101.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Ancheta would have been lovely next to Blanc or Khurtsilava.