International Squads for Nov International Break | Martial, Young get called up while Smalling axed

Bwuk

Our best defender is a horrible footballer, good grief.
Very debatable that he's our best defender. For me he isn't.

Smalling is a decent enough defender but he isn't a good footballer. There's a difference.

freeurmind

weak willed
Good to see Fellaini has been left out for Belgium. How is Nainggolan not in their squad and the likes of Mirallas, Defour, Chadli, Origi in? Wouldn't mind Nainggolan at United.

NoPace

England should play with an all spurs midfield... dier - winks - alli.... but unfortunately for them Hendo will start...
Of course they should. A front 7 of 5 English players, one Welshman and a Dane just got 4 points from Real Madrid. England could go a decade without doing that playing them every week.

Just pick 3 CBs, a team of Spurs players and pray Lallana is healthy enough to be a cut-rate Eriksen, or that Sterling can recapture his form as a 10 for Suarez era Liverpool:

--------Kane------Alli-----------
-------Lallana/Sterling----------
Rose---Winks----Dier----Trippier/Walker
----Maguire-Jones-Stones------
------------Butland--------------

it's not perfect, but at least the players would basically know what they were doing. Hire someone capable of scouting Pochettino and seeing how his side play and emulating it as best possible.

Backrow Singer

Annoyed me just seeing those comments to be honest. Who the feck is Gareth Southgate to speak about a Manchester United defender like that in the press? If that's how he feels, fine do it in private but to openly come out and make that comment is a bit cringy and out or order for me.

Smalling is a big lad and I'm sure he can handle it but doesn't exactly help his preparation either whether he plays or not. Each to their own but I don't like it.

ti vu

Well if thats the case, I guess we can assume Joe Hart will be dropped?

If he's actually said that then I can't see how Smalling will come back into the fold whilst Southgate is still in charge.
Personally harsh for Smalling, but in the scheme of thing good thing for us. He has been playing non stop after Bailly got injured. He'll get rested well.
I love how Chris was getting called up when out of form and now when he's back to his best gets axed.
:lol:

Hope every of our players get the same treatment :wenger::nervous: Feck International football during the season

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Passing up on Smalling for Harry Maguire is pretty comical but the whole squad looks fairly experimental. It seems very early for players like Joe Gomez and Tammy Abraham.
Gomez is a talent that I have high hopes for, but he's done nothing to earn a call-up.

Classical Mechanic

Why do you hate him so much?

feck, I'd be embarrassed to post shit like this.
I don’t hate him. I think he is a good centre back. On a similar level to those called up. To say that he is as good on the ball as any other England defender is just wrong, however.

Who cares what Pep would do? Embarrassing stuff.
Pep needs ball playing centre backs for his system. The poster indicated that Smalling was as good on the ball as Stones, which is a crazy claim.

Gomez is a talent that I have high hopes for, but he's done nothing to earn a call-up.
These are friendlies, Abraham, RLC and Gomez are included as ones for the future.

The Dodfather

Are the squads final? If so, wonder if Pogba will make a sneaky comeback for the Chelsea squad now he hasn't been called up for France :smirk:

onemanarmy

Good to see Fellaini has been left out for Belgium. How is Nainggolan not in their squad and the likes of Mirallas, Defour, Chadli, Origi in? Wouldn't mind Nainggolan at United.
What? The squad hasn't been announced yet.

Origi is doing an excellent job at Wolfsburg at the moment. Naingollan and Martinez don't get along, that's it. If he isn't with the squad for these 2 pointless games, he won't go to the world cup, unless De Bruyne or Fellaini are injured.

Pyro19

Southgate saying what everyone in this forum knows for years. Smalling isn't a good footballer but he's a decent defender.

It's just that doing it in a press conference takes massive balls, Respect.

Zlatattack

I was quite hoping Matic, Lukaku, Rashford and Martial would get dropped too. It'd be nice for them to get a mid season break. Why can't they blag it like Giggsy did? His hamstring was allergic to international football.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I like this. Resting the starters and giving a chance for the others to fight for a place.

We're going to have problems on who to take to Russia although that's a good problem to have. Only 23 go and 3 are keepers.

GK: Patricio, Anthony Lopes, 3rd keeper (Beto, José Sá) - pretty much set

RB: Cedric, Semedo - pretty much set, Cancelo and Ricardo Pereira will stay at home

CB: Pepe, Fonte, Bruno Alves, Luis Neto - given Danilo can play there in last resource I'd only take 3 CBs but Santos will 100% take 4 so these guys will all be going

LB: Guerreiro, Coentrão/Antunes/Kevin Rodrigues/Eliseu - Guerreiro will go, Kevin Rodrigues will 99% stay at home, Antunes and Eliseu have been solid enough for us over the years so it will depend on Coentrão's fitness. I trust all of them as back ups to Guerreiro

So that's 11 players. 12 to go.

CM: William, Danilo, Moutinho, João Mário, André Gomes

Forwards: Bernardo, Quaresma, Cristiano, Gonçalo Guedes, André Silva

These will all go and then there are only 2 spots for Gelson, Nani, Éder, Bruno Fernandes, Adrien, Pizzi, Bruma and Ronny Lopes. All of them offer something different that would be useful to have on the bench.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Wth Depoitre called up for Belgium? That guy is one of the worse strikers to play on Porto in the recent past. Surely Belgium has better options than him.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I like this. Resting the starters and giving a chance for the others to fight for a place.

We're going to have problems on who to take to Russia although that's a good problem to have. Only 23 go and 3 are keepers.

RB: Cedric, Semedo - pretty much set, Cancelo and Ricardo Pereira will stay at home

CB: Pepe, Fonte, Bruno Alves, Luis Neto - given Danilo can play there in last resource I'd only take 3 CBs but Santos will 100% take 4 so these guys will all be going

LB: Guerreiro, Coentrão/Antunes/Kevin Rodrigues/Eliseu - Guerreiro will go, Kevin Rodrigues will 99% stay at home, Antunes and Eliseu have been solid enough for us over the years so it will depend on Coentrão's fitness. I trust all of them as back ups to Guerreiro

These will all go and then there are only 2 spots for Gelson, Nani, Éder, Bruno Fernandes, Adrien, Pizzi, Bruma and Ronny Lopes. All of them offer something different that would be useful to have on the bench.
Agreed. I really like this call up and hope certain players take these games seriously to impress Santos.

onemanarmy

Wth Depoitre called up for Belgium? That guy is one of the worse strikers to play on Porto in the recent past. Surely Belgium has better options than him.
Benteke is injured. Lukaku, Benteke, Batshuayi, Origi and Mertens are all in front of him in the picking order. He'll never go to the WC.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Benteke is injured. Lukaku, Benteke, Batshuayi, Origi and Mertens are all in front of him in the picking order. He'll never go to the WC.
Alright. It's understandable then.

red4ever 79

How is Nani performing these days?

Oldyella

Southgate saying what everyone in this forum knows for years. Smalling isn't a good footballer but he's a decent defender.

It's just that doing it in a press conference takes massive balls, Respect.
Slating a player who cannot comment back to the press takes balls? Ok...

Shades of Hoddle and Cole for me, stupid thing to say that ended up being dragged up for years.

IBleedRed

likes to use pantyhose
And another thing, how shit is that font in that picture?
It's atrocious. I also don't like that the players are in alphabetical order. If you are doing 3 columns, I would place them by which third of the pitch they play on. Also, where are the other two lions in the crowd?

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
That is harsh for Smalling. He’s been good so far this season and excelllent the last month. Also what more does Southgate want. He brings the ball out and passes it to a more capable person without aimlessly losing it.

Guess England’s loss is our gain but then damn it Ashley Young.. great for Martial as well I guess, wonder if Dembele was fit if he’d have gotten called up. Would be interested to see he and Mbappe in a forward line.
Which I assume is what you would want from a good defender. I don't mind players like Hummels or Pique but in recent years EVERYONE expect centrebacks to basically pass like midfielders, when it's not even their role to do so.

dogwithabone

Seems odd that Smalling has been omitted given the decent form he’s in. I sometimes wonder who exactly does the scouting reports for England managers.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Sterling and Delph withdraw from the England squad
and Kane, Alli and Winks too. Four of the good things about the squad gone. Henderson's gone as well.

We've gone from a potential* side of

Hart

Jones Cahill Stones
Walker Dier Henderson Young
Rashford Alli
Kane​

to

Hart

Jones Cahill Stones
Walker Dier Livermore Young
Rashford Lingard
Vardy
*i.e. what Southgate would realistically field, and not what the best side for us would be.

These friendlies against Brazil and Germany are going to be ugly.

paulscholes18

Let’s see how “injured” Kane, Alli and winks are when it’s Tottenham V Arsenal

BigBebe

So that's five of England's midfielders plus Harry Kane who have withdrawn since the squad was announced for these internationals.

Seriously, what is the point?