Internationals June (Euro Qualifiers + Nations League Finals)

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
If England win would it be widely considered the greatest moment since 66'? Or is it more comparable with something like Le Tournoi? (which I quite enjoyed actually)
Nah most people probably don’t give a shit. 1990, 1996 and 2018 are likely higher on the list of your average England fan.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Depressing isn’t it. 100000 Spurs and Liverpool fans in Madrid and no trouble but it kicks off when England have a game in cheap tourist destination.

I always say it but I wish the FA would campaign against this kind of behaviour with the players helping. Nothing really seems to be done about it.
Pretty sure the FA sent out a letter last week with Southgate telling everyone to behave themselves. Seems no Surrender chant was getting an airing so you know the types that have travelled.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Looks pretty serious, hopefully doesn’t miss much of the Copa.

Brazil playing great here, pressing so intense. Qatar are a decent side, they are really struggling with Brazil’s movement though. They’re still pretty comfortably the best side in the world for me, regardless of not winning the World Cup.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
So Jota got on a plane from Poland in time to be on the bench for Portugal tonight.

Wow.
Not sure if you were joking but it's not the same Jota :D

This one play for Wolves, the U20 Jota plays for Benfica's youth teams.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Portugal get to face either of their favourite historical punching bags at home in the final, as they have repeatedly made both England (1986 WC, Euro 2000, Euro 2004, 2006 WC) and Holland (2002 WC qualifiers, Euro 2004, 2006 WC, Euro 2012) suffer in the past.

From England’s perspective, if they win this tournament going through Croatia, Spain, a rejuvenated Holland and Portugal with home advantage, that would be hugely impressive under any scenario.

From Holland’s point of view, their rejuvenation with a lot of exciting young talent as been great to see, and topping a group with France and Germany was an excellent achievement.

Classical Mechanic

Portugal get to face either of their favourite historical punching bags at home in the final, as they have repeatedly made both England (1986 WC, Euro 2000, Euro 2004, 2006 WC) and Holland (2002 WC qualifiers, Euro 2004, 2006 WC, Euro 2012) suffer in the past.

From England’s perspective, if they win this tournament going through Croatia, Spain, a rejuvenated Holland and Portugal with home advantage, that would be hugely impressive under any scenario.

From Holland’s point of view, their rejuvenation with a lot of exciting young talent as been great to see, and topping a group with France and Germany was an excellent achievement.
I think for England its already been a success, we've already beaten two elite European nations in competitive games, something which we hadn't done in many moons prior. The win over Spain away was a big one too. We reached the semi finals of the World Cup and won a shoot out. OK it was an easy run and we didn't score enough goals but our last two Euro qualifiers were won 5-0 and 5-1 against teams we historically snuck past. I think there's plenty of scope for optimism for the future no matter what happens tonight.

I think most people are favouring the Dutch but I feel the sides are kind of equal overall in terms of quality, arguably England has less drop off in quality in some positions too.

MagicKarpet

Supports
Tottenham
How do we expect England to line up tomorrow? There's rumours the CL Finalists won't start and Sterling will captain

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Maguire
Chilwell

Rice

Lingard
Barkley

Sancho
Rashford
Sterling

Not liking the look of that midfield. Loftus-Cheek a big loss here.
Rashford up against De Ligt and Van Dijk is just unfair, Kane at 70% is still a better option.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Rashford up against De Ligt and Van Dijk is just unfair, Kane at 70% is still a better option.
Somehow De Ligt said the toughest opponent he faced was Rashford. Kane is still having nightmares about VVD.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
How long do you go back though? That was too long for me.
Good point, but to be fair the ref let the game play and went back to it after the next break in play, which just so happened to be less than a minute and another penalty shout. It looked as if the ref was in communication with the VAR room throughout.

Classical Mechanic

Somehow De Ligt said the toughest opponent he faced was Rashford. Kane is still having nightmares about VVD.
That was in 2018 I believe after he'd only faced Erdivisie level players and Europa League level players.

That said VVD would be foolish to dismiss Rashford

He can be fantastic on his day.

roonster09

Scout
That was in 2018 I believe after he'd only faced Erdivisie level players and Europa League level players.

It was posted couple of weeks back by Ajax fan account. Not sure when he said it though.

Edit: Apparently he said it in 2018.

Bestietom

kane is not fit enough to start but may be used from the bench. Speed will get around this Dutch defence.

haram

Rashford played off the shoulder of TAA after Lukaku pulled Lovren away.

Classical Mechanic

Rashford played off the shoulder of TAA after Lukaku pulled Lovren away.
Yes I realise that but the idea that Rashford is a total scrub is wide of the mark and VVD has seen first hand evidence to that effect. De Ligt also said he was the best forward he'd played against in 2018.

I think that VVD makes lots of defensive mistake anyway It's more his presence and leadership that seems to lift his teammates. That and his command of his box aerially.

haram

Yes I realise that but the idea that Rashford is a total scrub is wide of the mark and VVD has seen first hand evidence to that effect. De Ligt also said he was the best forward he'd played against in 2018.
True. Although de Ligt and VVD is probably one of the best CB partnerships you could have.

Classical Mechanic

True. Although de Ligt and VVD is probably one of the best CB partnerships you could have.
Indeed but we have Sterling, Kane, Sancho and Rashford as forward options so we should feel confident in our own right.

We will feck you up tonight.

I expect ridicule if we don't.
I like that you have put your balls on the chopping block but I feel more like a fence sitter as I get older. I wouldn't like to call it.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Indeed but we have Sterling, Kane, Sancho and Rashford as forward options so we should feel confident in our own right.

I like that you have put your balls on the chopping block but I feel more like a fence sitter as I get older. I wouldn't like to call it.
I've no idea who's going to win honestly, but reading comments online it seems that we suddenly have a world beating squad again now. I don't really see it. Sure, we have a great central defensive duo and Frenkie de Jong, Donny van de Beek and Wijnaldum sounds great on paper, but we have almost no creativity in midfield and while Memphis has been great for us lately, the two wingers usually include Ryan fecking Babel.

Sadly Koeman doesn't share my vision that Steven Berghuis would be a perfect fit for this team with his silky left foot. Bergwijn, Memphis, Berghuis is what I would love to see, but it's not going to happen.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Well done to Portugal.

Nothing more to say about Ronnie. Just incredible that lad.

Made in Manchester too:drool::D
Ronaldo still showing the rest how to score. Three excellent goals. His striking of the ball is still as clean as ever.
Just a fabulous footballer. The very best of the very best.

LiquidSnake

Honestly I was septical on this tournament at first, but as a french guy who have to wait for an incoming struggle qualifier against Turkey after a pointless friendly against Bolivia. I'm a bit jealous of a final four tournament with team like Portugal, England and Netherlands (and Switzerland, credit where it's due).

roonster09

Scout
Reminds me of the time when Vincent Kompany said that John Hartson was the toughest opponent he faced :D
Different circumstances, that was when Kompany was jut 17.

“So he’s probably not the strongest striker I have played against. But it was the toughest for the age I was at the period and the profile he was at the time.”
In any case, how is Rashford vs Netherlands unfair when the CB who is playing there named him as the tough attacker he faced. On the other hand, Kane vs VVD was unfair. It was bit harsh to watch a professional player bullied like a rag doll.

MagicKarpet

Supports
Tottenham
Different circumstances, that was when Kompany was jut 17.

In any case, how is Rashford vs Netherlands unfair when the CB who is playing there named him as the tough attacker he faced. On the other hand, Kane vs VVD was unfair. It was bit harsh to watch a professional player bullied like a rag doll.
As was Le Ligt at the time when he faced Rashford , a lot has happened in 2 years mainly De Ligt has got a whole lot better and Rashford has got a whole lot worse, I don't think that can be argued.

I can understand why you might be trying to block it from your memory but you did actually watch the CL final, right?
I watched it, I also watched many other football matches and I can conclude that Marcus Rashford doesn't have anywhere the ability or mentality to match up to either of those defenders, Kane hasn't been fit but I'd still take a near enough half fit Kane over Rashford, he's proven that you don't need a million and one chances to put the ball in the back of the net unlike Rashford.

roonster09

Scout
As was Le Ligt at the time when he faced Rashford , a lot has happened in 2 years mainly De Ligt has got a whole lot better and Rashford has got a whole lot worse, I don't think that can be argued.
It can be. Rashford is better than he was in 2016-17. Just saying it can't be argued doesn't make it a fact.

So 2 young players facing each other is same as young player (who was still developing physically) facing an experienced professional?

Classical Mechanic

I've no idea who's going to win honestly, but reading comments online it seems that we suddenly have a world beating squad again now. I don't really see it. Sure, we have a great central defensive duo and Frenkie de Jong, Donny van de Beek and Wijnaldum sounds great on paper, but we have almost no creativity in midfield and while Memphis has been great for us lately, the two wingers usually include Ryan fecking Babel.

Sadly Koeman doesn't share my vision that Steven Berghuis would be a perfect fit for this team with his silky left foot. Bergwijn, Memphis, Berghuis is what I would love to see, but it's not going to happen.
Yeah, I think both sides have obvious strengths and obvious weaknesses. Happy for the majority to favour Holland though, will give Southgate something to motivate his side with.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
If England win would it be widely considered the greatest moment since 66'? Or is it more comparable with something like Le Tournoi? (which I quite enjoyed actually)
Widely? No. England very much has an insular, island mentality where everything new and different is seen as threatening and shit. You only have to look through the reaction to the birth of various competitions over the last 100 years to see that. Most who have watched the Nations League agree that it has been a big positive. There's still plenty who would write it off based on its perceived complexity in the vein of anti-intellectualism and those who have dismissed it without watching it, partly as it has been on pay-TV.

A win would be the biggest achievement since '66 though, whether it would be treated like that is another matter. Topping a group playing home and away against Croatia and Spain is a greater test than reaching a WC quarter or maybe even a semi.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Widely? No. England very much has an insular, island mentality where everything new and different is seen as threatening and shit. You only have to look through the reaction to the birth of various competitions over the last 100 years to see that. Most who have watched the Nations League agree that it has been a big positive. There's still plenty who would write it off based on its perceived complexity in the vein of anti-intellectualism and those who have dismissed it without watching it, partly as it has been on pay-TV.

A win would be the biggest achievement since '66 though, whether it would be treated like that is another matter. Topping a group playing home and away against Croatia and Spain is a greater test than reaching a WC quarter or maybe even a semi.

No it isn't, it's not even close.

The World Cup is the ultimate tournament in world football. Kids around the world dream of playing in it, the pressure and occasion is 100x greater than a Nations League game and any kind of progression in that tournament is worth far more than progression in the Nations League.

I quite like the Nations League, it's better than friendlies and it would be cool to win, but it's nothing remotely comparable to the World Cup. It's just a quite nice alternative to friendlies.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Should be interesting who starts for England today... I imagine he'll have Walker over TAA, which is madness... but hey-ho.

A front free of Sancho, Sterling and Rashford should be very interesting... midfield behind them might a bit less impressive though.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Should be interesting who starts for England today... I imagine he'll have Walker over TAA, which is madness... but hey-ho.

A front free of Sancho, Sterling and Rashford should be very interesting... midfield behind them might a bit less impressive though.
Not sure it would be right now tbh. I'd rest all the CL Finalists.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
You just reminded me of a guy, what's his name, who said Brazil got their revenge on Germany for 7-1 at the WC, after they won them in Olympic Games final. :wenger:

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I watched it, I also watched many other football matches and I can conclude that Marcus Rashford doesn't have anywhere the ability or mentality to match up to either of those defenders, Kane hasn't been fit but I'd still take a near enough half fit Kane over Rashford, he's proven that you don't need a million and one chances to put the ball in the back of the net unlike Rashford.
Well I think you’re talking out your arse. Or have an appalling memory. Possibly both. CL final aside, there’s been loads of examples this season of Kane being an outright liability when coming back from injury. And - unless the Spurs physio team are incompetent - he’ll have been fully fit for those games. Just lacking “match practice”. So the mind boggles about just how inept a half fit Harry Kane would be.