g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Internationals June (Euro Qualifiers + Nations League Finals)

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Having Can in any place on the pitch is the opposite of playing it safe. I fecking cringe watching him play for Dortmund and Germany.
I don't know what you're talking about, Can was essential for Dortmund's good form in 2023. And he could be useful for Germany as well, considering he's about the only decent true DM in the squad. But not as a CB, like Flick tried yesterday.

Ole'sgunnarwin

No, but even Spain is lower level than we usually face.

He's having a good run now with Scotland but he had his share of bad games with them before.
Spain a lower level than we usually face? What are you talking about?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
12/12 points. Wow. :drool:

One more win should see us through and two more wins could give us an excellent chance of winning the group.

Last edited:

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
That was the first decent performance from Bulgaria in almost a decade and still we didnt win.. did somebody put a spell on our national team or something hahaha
Well the commentator kinda jinxed it when he started ranting about "great and deserved win" in the 95th minute... Like, stfu for 1 minute..:nervous:

Truth is we lack good footballers and it shows. We can put up a fight against big teams, draw or narrowly lose. But we can't control games, can't take advantage when it's on a plate.

Conceding late equaliser against Serbia is better than not being able to beat Lithuania who were down to 10 men since the 17th minute.

But as our glorious sporting director said after: "Great game! We had over 20 corners!":cool:

Idxomer

Spain a lower level than we usually face? What are you talking about?
It's very clear what I'm talking about. I don't rate the Spanish team and especially the one that Scotland beat. On average United face teams of a higher level.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I swear if trophies were handed out based on caf opinions during qualifiers then England would be defending WC, Euro, Olympic and Nations League champions for each of the past 20 years.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I swear if trophies were handed out based on caf opinions during qualifiers then England would be defending WC, Euro, Olympic and Nations League champions for each of the past 20 years.
As i've repeated, it's not just based on qualifiers but multiple reasons that they're a team who should realistically be aiming for the final.

Majiek7777

CR7 is 38 years of age. And still the most clutch player ever. It's a testament to him all credit to him he deserves it through his hard work. Portugal owe him so much that they can never repay. Most players are long retired. Yet here he is scoring the last minute winner in a Euro qualifier against an very organised Iceland team. This isn't Sunday league football.

Bobby Martinez was very savvy keeping him showing Santos up for benching him.

Very Proud he played for United and we played a part in his development. He's the GOAT for me as he's proved it in every league and country he's played in. I don't care what people say. Ronaldo would've won a World Cup with Argentina. The fact Ronaldo won a Euros and Nations League with Portugal is a massive achievement and miracle in itself that doesn't get appreciated enough.. Portugal population is a very small country. Portugal before Ronaldo had Figo, Costa etc and often even failed to qualify for International Tournaments.. now with Ronaldo it's a given and taken for granted because they've done it so much with him but shouldn't diminish the achievement

I believe he's still capable of playing in the Premier League. And that last season with United was just a mess because he didn't have a pre-season (his daughter was sick apparently) and everyone was adjusting to new tactics.

Newcastle could do worse than bringing this guy in for his CL experience.

sad day when he retires in next few years. I hope he stays in football and becomes a manager, coach or even a football club owner.

Last edited:

Majiek7777

youtu.be/Tmw4G30W30c

This guy laughing at himself having wrinkles :lol: apparently he's so vain though! He doesn't even have Botox or dye his grey hairs

haters gonna hate. It's a shame people can't just appreciate his achievements without having to compare him to other players constantly as a stick to beat him with. Yes he's a poacher now at his age he's maximising his limitations, but Haaland is getting praised for that all-season from the same people who are criticising Ronaldo for doing that for Portugal. Or praising Messi for doing the same thing with Argentina. They show themselves and there agendas up.

Bertie Wooster

That was the first decent performance from Bulgaria in almost a decade and still we didnt win.. did somebody put a spell on our national team or something hahaha
Well the commentator kinda jinxed it when he started ranting about "great and deserved win" in the 95th minute... Like, stfu for 1 minute..:nervous:

Truth is we lack good footballers and it shows. We can put up a fight against big teams, draw or narrowly lose. But we can't control games, can't take advantage when it's on a plate.

Conceding late equaliser against Serbia is better than not being able to beat Lithuania who were down to 10 men since the 17th minute.

But as our glorious sporting director said after: "Great game! We had over 20 corners!":cool:
As a neutral, I do enjoy when (smaller) national teams have a 'Golden Generation' - the likes of Romania in the late 80's and 90's, and Bulgaria in the early 21st century with the likes of Berbatov, S. Petrov, M. Petrov.

I still keep an eye on those kind of nations in subsequent years and, yeah, it's been declining returns. Is there any sign of any decent players coming through? And what's the domestic standard like at the moment?

Bole Top

I still keep an eye on those kind of nations in subsequent years and, yeah, it's been declining returns. Is there any sign of any decent players coming through? And what's the domestic standard like at the moment?
I think their league is very open when it comes to foreigners. perhaps too much for their own good, but obviously I'm not an expert on Bulgarian league. all I know is that whenever our domestic champion (Dinamo Zgb) played theirs (Ludogorets) they were filled with obscure Brazilian players. they played this season again in CL qualifiers and it was the same story.

I think they're allowed to have 20 registered foreigners and wiki says there are 4 or 5 Bulgarian players in their first team atm which is shocking. they register youngsters because of quotas, but rarely play them. that policy made sure they win 12 titles in a row, but how does that reflect on their NT I'm not sure.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I think their league is very open when it comes to foreigners. perhaps too much for their own good, but obviously I'm not an expert on Bulgarian league. all I know is that whenever our domestic champion (Dinamo Zgb) played theirs (Ludogorets) they were filled with obscure Brazilian players. they played this season again in CL qualifiers and it was the same story.

I think they're allowed to have 20 registered foreigners and wiki says there are 4 or 5 Bulgarian players in their first team atm which is shocking. they register youngsters because of quotas, but rarely play them. that policy made sure they win 12 titles in a row, but how does that reflect on their NT I'm not sure.
The decline of Eastern European football over the last 25 years has been massive, except Croatia and Serbia I just don't see quality being produced on a constant way.

Obviously Bulgaria more evident, but it's clear post Berlin Wall fall while being good at a political level, it surely wasn't great for this countries at sports level.

By the way, the level of European NT's is quite low at the moment, even looking at Germany and Italy now and what they had in the past it's bonkers.

Certainly don't see quality for European Championships with 24 teams, think next Copa America with the United States also there will be better to watch than the Euros, a mistake to expand it to 24 teams.

RedDevilRoshi

The decline of Eastern European football over the last 25 years has been massive, except Croatia and Serbia I just don't see quality being produced on a constant way.

Obviously Bulgaria more evident, but it's clear post Berlin Wall fall while being good at a political level, it surely wasn't great for this countries at sports level.

By the way, the level of European NT's is quite low at the moment, even looking at Germany and Italy now and what they had in the past it's bonkers.

Certainly don't see quality for European Championships with 24 teams, think next Copa America with the United States also there will be better to watch than the Euros, a mistake to expand it to 24 teams.
Agree and if you think that’s bad, the World Cup finals in 2026 is going to have 48 teams.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I don't know what you're talking about, Can was essential for Dortmund's good form in 2023. And he could be useful for Germany as well, considering he's about the only decent true DM in the squad. But not as a CB, like Flick tried yesterday.
I agree, I mentioned before in the BL thread as well that he's can in really good form towards the end of the season (and that I was shocked). But was a purple patch and I've never felt that he can be a reliable starter for a top quality team.

As a DM, he is much too error prone with the ball to be dependable. I would rather we try Andrich there than him to be honest.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I agree, I mentioned before in the BL thread as well that he's can in really good form towards the end of the season (and that I was shocked). But was a purple patch and I've never felt that he can be a reliable starter for a top quality team.

As a DM, he is much too error prone with the ball to be dependable. I would rather we try Andrich there than him to be honest.
I think Can's importance increased precisely, because he cut out a lot of the silly stuff. If Flick wants to he can also have him drop into the back line during build up, so he can play a rather low risk game and in turn free up more adventurous CBs for better passing angles and dribbling opportunities.

I don't think Andrich plays the enforcer role like Can does and I'm not sure he's better on the ball either, I think he'd be more likely a Goretzka backup.

Last edited:

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral

Nah, lot of shit teams in Copa America too, especially now that south american football at international level is meh.
Now the Euro will be similar to Copa America, but not worse that's for sure.

Plus, in south America other than Argentina (until Messi and Di Maria retire at least) the rest are mediocre including Brazil, who got knocked out by Croatia and Belgium in the last 2 world cups, and lost to Senegal at home yesterday.

Overall the level of international football is mediocre now, but that also includes Conmebol as well, not just UEFA.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I think Can's importance increases precisely, because he cut out a lot of the silly stuff. If Flick wants to he can also have him drop into the back line during build up, so he can play a rather low risk game and in turn free up more adventurous CBs for better passing angles and dribbling opportunities.

I don't think Andrich plays the enforcer role like Can does and I'm not sure he's as good on the ball either, I think he'd be more likely a Goretzka backup.
From what I've seen with Andrich I think he does usually play as a DM and doesn't go forward often. He definitely isn't as talented on the ball as Can, but again the feeling of an inevitable mistake with Can always lingers despite that talent.

There is definitely a massive dearth of quality DMs in Germany, I'm in no way saying Andrich is a super player so he should be there. Don't think there are any top quality young players as well (Arne Meier seemed like one initially but feel off). Why not try Geiger :D

Majiek7777

It's really sad Messi fans and Ronaldo haters can't appreciate and celebrate Ronaldo's achievements (like becoming all-time top scorer and appearance maker which are HIS achievements only) and longevity without trying to belittle them by bringing up Messi constantly.

It doesn't make Ronaldo any less of a great player because he never won a World Cup. Just as it never because George Bestie didn't. You have to consider the size and population of each country. And what the country achieved prior to Ronaldo.

Winning the Euros and nations league was a miracle for Portugal. And Ronaldo deserves credit as captain and star player for that.

it's sad people can't just appreciate and respect both players (both very different players but still GOATS of the game). So tribal

Spread love not hate. As you'll miss them when they are gone.

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
From what I've seen with Andrich I think he does usually play as a DM and doesn't go forward often. He definitely isn't as talented on the ball as Can, but again the feeling of an inevitable mistake with Can always lingers despite that talent.

There is definitely a massive dearth of quality DMs in Germany, I'm in no way saying Andrich is a super player so he should be there. Don't think there are any top quality young players as well (Arne Meier seemed like one initially but feel off). Why not try Geiger :D
Andrich plays with three CBs behind him and another defensive minded midfielder beside him. I don't think that's comparable to what Germany is looking for.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Agree and if you think that’s bad, the World Cup finals in 2026 is going to have 48 teams.
Quite honestly I expect more improvement from Africa, South America, United States than anything around in Europe, hope I am wrong.
Nah, lot of shit teams in Copa America too, especially now that south american football at international level is meh.
Don't agree, Argentina we will see how things go in 2026, Brasil certainly not at their best, but Uruguay, Colombia and Ecuador I expect significant improvements, as I expect more from the United States, we will see next Summer which competition will be more entertaining then.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
It's really sad Messi fans and Ronaldo haters can't appreciate and celebrate Ronaldo's achievements (like becoming all-time top scorer and appearance maker which are HIS achievements only) and longevity without trying to belittle them by bringing up Messi constantly.

It doesn't make Ronaldo any less of a great player because he never won a World Cup. Just as it never because George Bestie didn't. You have to consider the size and population of each country. And what the country achieved prior to Ronaldo.

Winning the Euros and nations league was a miracle for Portugal. And Ronaldo deserves credit as captain and star player for that.

it's sad people can't just appreciate and respect both players (both very different players but still GOATS of the game). So tribal

Good post! Ronaldo achievements are ridiculous. Hard to beleive his stats, at times

mshnsh

CR7 is 38 years of age. And still the most clutch player ever. It's a testament to him all credit to him he deserves it through his hard work. Portugal owe him so much that they can never repay. Most players are long retired. Yet here he is scoring the last minute winner in a Euro qualifier against an very organised Iceland team. This isn't Sunday league football.

Very Proud he played for United and we played a part in his development. He's the GOAT for me as he's proved it in every league and country he's played in. I don't care what people say. Ronaldo would've won a World Cup with Argentina. The fact Ronaldo won a Euros and Nations League with Portugal is a massive achievement and miracle in itself that doesn't get appreciated enough.. Portugal population is a very small country. Portugal before Ronaldo had Figo, Costa etc and often even failed to qualify for International Tournaments.. now with Ronaldo it's a given and taken for granted because they've done it so much with him but shouldn't diminish the achievement

I believe he's still capable of playing in the Premier League. And that last season with United was just a mess because he didn't have a pre-season (his daughter was sick apparently) and everyone was adjusting to new tactics.

sad day when he retires in next few years. I hope he stays in football and becomes a manager, coach or even a football club owner.
youtu.be/Tmw4G30W30c

This guy laughing at himself having wrinkles :lol: apparently he's so vain though! He doesn't even have Botox or dye his grey hairs

haters gonna hate. It's a shame people can't just appreciate his achievements without having to compare him to other players constantly as a stick to beat him with. Yes he's a poacher now at his age he's maximising his limitations, but Haaland is getting praised for that all-season from the same people who are criticising Ronaldo for doing that for Portugal. Or praising Messi for doing the same thing with Argentina. They show themselves and there agendas up.
Firstly, these are cringeworthy posts.

Secondly, he wasnt even good at Euro 2016.

Thirdly, he has been gobshite at every world cup with the exception of that one game vs Spain.

Fourthly, he has been a poacher since the 2015/16 season and received due recognition for the numbers and importance of his goals just as Haaland has this season.

Fifth, the Argentine side Messi played in at Qatar 2022 was an average team that relied more on him than he did on them. Ronaldo played for a better Portugal side but was very poor.

Sixth, what weighs him down is not his lack of world cup victory but rather his relative lack of genius on the ball. He is one of the greatest ever but it is based more on his numbers and longevity rather than genius plays. Its interesting you bring up George Best, he did not have longevity, numbers or success that Cristiano does but most people who saw him remember him for the magic he did with the ball at his feet.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia

The main problem in Bulgaria is the astonishing ammount of corruption and fixed games under the rule of Borislav Mihaylov.

Actually our kids are very decent, our national teams for 12-14-16 years old are always performing well.

Something breaks for them the moment they need to make the transition to men football.
We've had a bunch of good players who actually got into decent European teams but they never made the next step.

The last Premier league appearances we had were an uninspiring loan of Stanislav Manolev at Fulham (hey at least he got to do the harlem shake with them...) and a complete disaster for Aleksandar Tonev at Villa.
He had the chance to prove himself in Celtic after being a joke in the PL (every time he recieved the ball he opted to shoot, no matter the distance, angle etc. Did hit a few fans in the process!), but he was dismissed for being slightly racist (he isn't racist he's just stupid. But it doesn't work like this in the civilised world..).

Bulgaria has talent but we don't have the tools to develop our players. Because of the corruption and chaos in the football union.

Wish we could find our way like Croatia did.
Believe it or not, 20 years ago we were beating the likes of Croatia, Belgium etc for fun.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
The main problem in Bulgaria is the astonishing ammount of corruption and fixed games under the rule of Borislav Mihaylov.
Played in Portugal during the 80's at Belenenses if I am not wrong, and Mladenov also. Not to mention players like Balakov and Yordanov for Sporting and Kostadinov for Porto.

I know quite well what Bulgarian players were, I saw Figo and Paulo Sousa playing alongside Balakov. It has to be problems with corruption but also coaching, it's impossible those former players don't know what is the problem.

Bertie Wooster

Thanks for the replies about the Bulgarian domestic and international situation. :)

Shame to hear about the corruption at senior level. As has been mentioned, Bulgaria themselves 20 years ago, Romania in the 80's / 90's, Croatia over the last 10 years (with a population under 4 million!) show what can be achieved by the Eastern European countries at times.

Hopefully better times lie ahead again for Bulgaria at some point.

glasgow 21

Was never a Ronaldo hater but the Piers ( Arsenal) Morgan interview done him with me.
He could win the world cup and fly to the moon but he can do one, he is done for me and not a United Legend.
Who's George Bestie ?

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Quite honestly I expect more improvement from Africa, South America, United States than anything around in Europe, hope I am wrong.

Don't agree, Argentina we will see how things go in 2026, Brasil certainly not at their best, but Uruguay, Colombia and Ecuador I expect significant improvements, as I expect more from the United States, we will see next Summer which competition will be more entertaining then.
There is no proof that there will be more improvement in other confederations than in UEFA, neither in quality of players or results.

And until i don't see USA actually pulling great results at international level i won't believe, their last great result was in 2002 WC, 20 years ago.

Aboutreika18

youtu.be/Tmw4G30W30c

Welcome to the Caf', Ronnie! Shame about the way you left us, how's the weather in Saudi these days, must be quite hot?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
There is no proof that there will be more improvement in other confederations than in UEFA, neither in quality of players or results.

And until i don't see USA actually pulling great results at international level i won't believe, their last great result was in 2002 WC, 20 years ago.
I am not talking about 2002, I am talking about the future, and at this moment the level in Europe doesn’t look great honestly.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Thanks for the replies about the Bulgarian domestic and international situation. :)

Shame to hear about the corruption at senior level. As has been mentioned, Bulgaria themselves 20 years ago, Romania in the 80's / 90's, Croatia over the last 10 years (with a population under 4 million!) show what can be achieved by the Eastern European countries at times.

Hopefully better times lie ahead again for Bulgaria at some point.
Bulgaria and Romania have followed a very similar trajectory. Both very competitive and regular tournament qualifiers in 90s. Even in early to mid 2000s had plenty of good players at top level leagues and clubs (Chivu, Mutu, Berbatov, Martin Petrov, Stan Petrov) even if the tournament qualifications started to decline.

I can remember Romania in Euro 2016 as they played France in the opener and were unlucky to lose but apart from that can't recall either playing in another tournament in last 15 years.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
I am not talking about 2002, I am talking about the future, and at this moment the level in Europe doesn’t look great honestly.
Europe not looking great now, doesn't mean others do.

International football is very low quality now, that includes Conmebol, AFC, and Africa, future in uncertain, all i know there is a lot of mediocrity between the tier 2 national teams.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
Internationally and as a whole this a logical generational period change, so the extreme negativity it's way over the top.

PD: BTW I read one more time to just enhanced Messi's performance in the WC that Argentina had a mediocre team in the WC, worse when taking in account what the word TEAM means (that BTW doesn't need any silly boost at all) , I would personally offer a sicario contract on behalf of the silly poster.