Internationals November (Euro Qualifiers + Friendlies)

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Today is the day! By beating Liechtenstein in Helsinki we’ll qualify for the first men’s major tournament in our football history.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I thought you didn't like him so I was surprised to see you wanting him on!
I'm not convinced he's as good as some on here think (ie the most creative player ever) but he's certainly good enough to get some minutes when we're 5-0 up at home to a load of shit.

I noticed a few posters trying to make it a Mount or Madison thing, I don't see that really, they're different types of player. Madison is more likely to pick out a pass and Mount more likely to win the ball back high up the pitch (that's not all either can do of course). England can have both, one of them or neither!

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'm not convinced he's as good as some on here think (ie the most creative player ever) but he's certainly good enough to get some minutes when we're 5-0 up at home to a load of shit.

I noticed a few posters trying to make it a Mount or Madison thing, I don't see that really, they're different types of player. Madison is more likely to pick out a pass and Mount more likely to win the ball back high up the pitch (that's not all either can do of course). England can have both, one of them or neither!
I think it is a Mount vs Maddison thing because it seems like there's one spot open to be the most advanced midfielder alongside Henderson and Rice/Winks, and it seems like it's between them two (and Barkley) for said spot. I agree that they're different types of players, but they're seemingly competing for the same spot in the 11 and I personally think Maddison would complement our front three of Kane, Sterling and Rashford/Sancho better than the other two.

I think Southgate prefers both Barkley and Mount to Maddison going by recent team selections anyway.
Today is the day! By beating Liechtenstein in Helsinki we’ll qualify for the first men’s major tournament in our football history.
Welcome back! Been a good couple of years since you were last here. Good luck against Liechtenstein :)

Ban

Ha, I think it'll be a comfortable victory for you. The return fixture was a walk in the park, and this time you have the added bonus of being at home.

I thought you didn't like him so I was surprised to see you wanting him on!
Yeah I guess so although Slovakians were really bad in that game. Weather will be awful tomorrow.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
France and Portugal will probably be ahead of us. Maybe Belgium too.

We'll probably be ahead of the Germans and Spain, which will be weird.
I'd say you have

France

Portugal
Belgium*

Spain
Germany
England
Croatia
Italy
Holland

3rd group in no order, not favourites but it wouldn't be a big surprise if one of those sides won it.

*contingent on having their best players available because depth is lacking.
:eek:

Why? We’re rightfully finishing second in the group to Ukraine (at best, still might go to the playoffs) and we’re second favourites to win the Euros now?

Teams like Spain, Germany, Belgium and England have better and more options. Even Italy imo. That Verratti-Jorginho-Barella midfield is miles better than Danilo-William-Bruno.

We’re pretty much relying on the Bernardo-Ronaldo connection and praying that Santos’ defensive approach manages to protect a semi-retired Pepe and Ruben Dias/José Fonte from being exposed.

Classical Mechanic

:eek:

Why? We’re rightfully finishing second in the group to Ukraine (at best, still might go to the playoffs) and we’re second favourites to win the Euros now?

Teams like Spain, Germany, Belgium and England have better and more options. Even Italy imo. That Verratti-Jorginho-Barella midfield is miles better than Danilo-William-Bruno.

We’re pretty much relying on the Bernardo-Ronaldo connection and praying that Santos’ defensive approach manages to protect a semi-retired Pepe and Ruben Dias/José Fonte from being exposed.
I think Portgual overachieve so much because the style that we see from so many Portuguese managers and teams is perfect for cagey tournament football. All your players are comfortable in this style. That Portuguese style compliments defenders because the team shape is deep and there is less space to mark so you don't need top players in those positions. Add to the fact that you are holders of the title and recent Nation League winners and I think psychologically there will be a lot of belief and resilience in your side. You also have a couple of special players in B Silva and Ronaldo, this will probably Ronaldo's swansong (as a top player) at international level so he'll have an even more powerful burning desire to have a big tournament.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Wow, Finland has never qualified for any tournament? I wouldn't have guessed that.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Wow, Finland has never qualified for any tournament? I wouldn't have guessed that.
they were unlucky, when they had the likes of Litmanen qualification was so much harder due to how small the tournament was

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
I think Portgual overachieve so much because the style that we see from so many Portuguese managers and teams is perfect for cagey tournament football. All your players are comfortable in this style. That Portuguese style compliments defenders because the team shape is deep and there is less space to mark so you don't need top players in those positions. Add to the fact that you are holders of the title and recent Nation League winners and I think psychologically there will be a lot of belief and resilience in your side. You also have a couple of special players in B Silva and Ronaldo, this will probably Ronaldo's swansong (as a top player) at international level so he'll have an even more powerful burning desire to have a big tournament.
That's fair, I also see us doing better than a few countries who have better squads purely because of the extra experience and how long this group has been together. Player for player there are definitely more than one or two countries who are better though, our strong point in 2016 was the defense but now it's the complete opposite and the defensive players all have big mistakes in them. If Pepe was in his prime I'd be really confident but nowadays he's not really anything special even by portuguese league standards.

I have big expectations for Bernardo though given he was really bad at the World Cup but has been fantastic ever since. Would be funny if we managed to retain it along with winning the Nations League after everyone called us lucky in 2016 :lol:

Ban

Apparently it's already known England will be in group D which will be played at Wembley, is this true?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Apparently it's already known England will be in group D which will be played at Wembley, is this true?
All qualified host countries are guaranteed two home games in the group stages. I haven't checked the groups but if group D is supposed to be played in England then yes, they're in group D.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
All qualified host countries are guaranteed two home games in the group stages. I haven't checked the groups but if group D is supposed to be played in England then yes, they're in group D.
England will play all group games at Wembley

Ramos

England will play all group games at Wembley
Yep and Italy wil play all their group games in Rome including the opening game of the tournament.

It's going to be a weird draw with lots of things predetermined yet 4 teams still unknown.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
If we qualify we'll get a group of death likely as we'll be in pot 3 because of the new rules.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
If we qualify we'll get a group of death likely as we'll be in pot 3 because of the new rules.
Euro winners, Nations League winners... and we get pot 3 in the draw in a 24 team tournament if we qualify. What a clusterfeck they've made this out to be.

I gave a look to the wikipedia page to see how the draw was shaping out to be and it's impossible to understand or predict anything.

lysglimt

Scout
Sad Norway got going a bit too late - we are a better team than both Romania and Sweden

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
"It's like giving the keys of the blood bank to Dracula".

King Andow

Paquetá shouldn't be in the NT, worst player on the pitch.

Last edited:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Finland this match remind me a bit of Spain about 8 years ago. Dominate possession, not needlessly crossing the ball and basically trying to walk the ball into the net. Very dominant in their possession.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Is Romero not first choice any more then?
This coach prefers to play a goalkeeper who plays regularly for their club.

Argentina’s first two choices are Andrada and Armani, #1 for Boca Juniors and #1 for River Plate respectively.