Internationals November (Euro Qualifiers + Friendlies)

Renegade

Internationals are easier now right? The gap between the top and small nations seem huge.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Can't really remember a time we've had such an embarrassment of riches in attacking positions with England. Would also like to see Reece James make his way in, think he is going to be quality.

Acole9

Outstanding
Party football at Wembley. No one will be able to stop England at the Euros.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Internationals are easier now right? The gap between the top and small nations seem huge.
It's not. Bulgaria and Lithuania are just both awful and should be a seed lower. Czechia isn't great and England lost to them. Hadn't lost a qualifier in 10 years so easier now compared to when?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Are we gonna ignore the fact that Rashford has looked miles better than Sancho tonight?

Can't really remember a time we've had such an embarrassment of riches in attacking positions with England. Would also like to see Reece James make his way in, think he is going to be quality.
Our depth at right back is astonishing. Walker starts for City, Trippier starts for Atletico, Alexander-Arnold starts for Liverpool, Wan-Bissaka starts for United, and James is starting for Chelsea at the moment. Probably the best collection of right backs in the world.

Unfortunately Chilwell is our only great option at LB.

Party football at Wembley. No one will be able to stop England at the Euros.
France, Portugal, Holland, Germany, Spain & Belgium might.

Lest we forget Croatia either...

Classical Mechanic

Jaysus yis dont want to be favourites.

You could do with a few scrappy 1 nils to dampen expectations.
They’re just being silly. We’ve got some really attacking players, quite a lot of them so we can lay waste to these types of sides. Still massive questions about how good defensively we are.

Withnail

They’re just being silly. We’ve got some really attacking players, quite a lot of them so we can lay waste to these types of sides. Still massive questions about how good defensively we are.
I'm Irish. If we had that team I'd be convinced we were gonna win the thing too!

I was talking about the hype generated by the tabloids over there which tends to affect the players.

Classical Mechanic

I'm Irish. If we had that team I'd be convinced we were gonna win the thing too!

I was talking about the hype generated by the tabloids over there which tends to affect the players.
There are other really good sides too. One thing I will say is that this side is probably the best to watch in my lifetime and I’m 37. I look forward to watching the side these days.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Got to be one of the favourites going into the tournament, for a change, surely?
I'm generally allergic to the kind of jingoistic hysteria that accompanies England to tournaments.

That being said, we might not be the best team in the tournament, but we're certainly not far off it. Feels weird saying that.

Canagel

Group games, the semi and the final all at Wembley, you don't think others across the continent will consider England one of the favourites?
They have a chance but not even close to be the favorites. England always get hyped up before the tournaments and somehow find new ways to flop even worse than the previous time. Its still an different pressure (even on home gound) and the stakes will be a lot higher than friendlies and qualifiers vs trash oppositions.

Johan07

France and Portugal will probably be ahead of us. Maybe Belgium too.

We'll probably be ahead of the Germans and Spain, which will be weird.
All of those teams including England will be well within a shout of winning the tournament. You can make arguments about one team being stronger than the other, or the other way around, but fact is that nothing much separates those teams and on any given day or days; all of those teams can win it.
Its very small margins between those teams.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
They have a chance but not even close to be the favorites. England always get hyped up before the tournaments and somehow find new ways to flop even worse than the previous time. Its still an different pressure (even on home gound) and the stakes will be a lot higher than friendlies and qualifiers vs trash oppositions.
Not even close?

Interesting take.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Seanie Maguire with a screamer from the edge of the D!

2-1 Ireland
Just looked at the team line ups (surprised ROI put out a second string team given the do or die qualifier with Danes is a few days away) and quite happy to see Winston Reid is alive and well. Certainly one for the forgotten players thread. :lol: Always thought he was a decent CB a few years ago when he played regularly.

marktan

I've never really rated England that highly due to a mediocre set of options up front (aside from Rooney who was injured or of off form most of the time), but the current batch of options has to be the most exciting in a long time. A lot of technical flare everywhere, the only worry really was midfield but with Ox, Mount, Madisson all returning / emerging that gets a lot of technical ability too.

I think this is a better team than at any point since I started watching in 2002, mostly because those teams had a lot of square pegs in round holes, whereas this one has talent that a proper Liverpool or City like team can be built from. Just needs managing.

Red Keane

Kante left Leicester for Chelsea after they won the league...
If United is to even stand a chance at getting back where it should be (Especially if the club is to get new ownership that is willing to invest in the squad), raiding fellow PL sides (i.e. club's that are not Man City or Liverpool) like Leicester is pretty much the best way do it. After all one could argue that one of the reasons why both Tottenham have done well under Poch and Leicester have done well this season is mainly because both teams have obtained player after player that United should have obtained instead of either club.

Had the Glazers not let that happen, we could have had a team that consisted of this (and still could in the next few transfer windows):

De Gea/Schmeichel
AWB/R.Pereira - Alderweireld/D.Sanchez - Vertonghen/Maguire - Chilwell/Shaw
Erriksen/Tielemans - Ndombele/Ndidi - Pogba/Maddison
Moura/James - Kane/Martial - Son/Rashford
With the right manager, it would not be too hard to do well in both the PL & CL with such a side. Especially if Sancho was also added to such a team as well as the youth prospects we currently have.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Get Maddison and Tammy on please! Kane and Rashford can use a rest and Gareth knows what they can do.
:eek:
Mount isn't good. He has no business being in the team ahead of Maddison.
I don't know about him not being a good talent, but I agree that he's not as good as he's made out to be. Definitely nowhere near Maddison. Or Grealish, imo.

Supports
England
Some of the Spurs fans on here like @SquishyMcSquish will appreciate this one:

Are England better without Sterling because we won by more goals than in any of the qualifiers that he started (which is all of them)?

Couldn't be happier with tonight's result, both as a lover of England and hater of innumeracy and overreliance on statistics.

Ban

England is flying right now but for their sake I hope media and public wont over hype the team too much. Regarding them the favorites as early as November is wrong imo.

I like how nobody mentions Croatia. Again. :D

Yagami

Good post resistant
England is flying right now but for their sake I hope media and public wont over hype the team too much. Regarding them the favorites as early as November is wrong imo.

I like how nobody mentions Croatia. Again. :D
I agree in regards to us (England). We've still yet to see how we do against a good side. I think we can score against anyone, but I don't know if we can outscore everyone :D

As for you, I'm looking forward to your game against Slovakia on Saturday! Especially as I want to see how Lobotka does against Modric and Brozovic again.

Classical Mechanic

I'd say you have

France

Portugal
Belgium*

Spain
Germany
England
Croatia
Italy
Holland

3rd group in no order, not favourites but it wouldn't be a big surprise if one of those sides won it.

*contingent on having their best players available because depth is lacking.

Last edited:

Ban

I agree in regards to us (England). We've still yet to see how we do against a good side. I think we can score against anyone, but I don't know if we can outscore everyone :D

As for you, I'm looking forward to your game against Slovakia on Saturday! Especially as I want to see how Lobotka does against Modric and Brozovic again.
Don't mention it. I'm dreading the game and I'm so mad we havent secured our place already.

Classical Mechanic

With the next England game being a dead rubber I think we should play

--------------------Henderson------------------
TAA-------Tomori-------Gomez-----------Rose
--------------Rice-------Henderson-------------
Sancho------------Maddison---------------CHO
---------------------Abraham-------------------

I think the question for Southgate will be if he wants to see how other players fit in his 4-3-3 or if he wants to work on a different shape that can be more compact and compliment the abilities of Maddison. I guess the double pivot here of Rice and Henderson will not please many but the idea would be that they only need to recycle to Maddison or the wide players. I think TAA should play again because he hasn't played that much for England, Henderson and Tomori should get a chance. Sancho should play to try to get him more confidence in a bad spell, Gomez the same. Have a look at Maddison in his preferred position, rest Kane and give Tammy a full game.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Don't mention it. I'm dreading the game and I'm so mad we havent secured our place already.
Ha, I think it'll be a comfortable victory for you. The return fixture was a walk in the park, and this time you have the added bonus of being at home.
I thought you didn't like him so I was surprised to see you wanting him on!