Internationals November (Nations League / Euro 2021 play-offs / Friendlies)

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
So we are in the Euros even though we didnt qualify from the nations league?
Yes because Engand won their Euro qualfying groups. What the Nation's League is a competitve tournament to replace friendlies and it substitutes the play-off matches that were in the Euro qualfiers and they're partially in play for the WC qualifiers. Bigger teams get games that are more compeitive. Smaller teams get a better chance to qualify for a major tournament.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Yes because Engand won their Euro qualfying groups. What the Nation's League is a competitve tournament to replace friendlies and it substitutes the play-off matches that were in the Euro qualfiers and they're partially in play for the WC qualifiers. Bigger teams get games that are more compeitive. Smaller teams get a better chance to qualify for a major tournament.
So the nations league qualifies you into the Euro qualifying groups?

Snow

So the nations league qualifies you into the Euro qualifying groups?
No.

In 2016 the top 2 teams in each group qualified for the Euros. The best team in 3rd place also automatically qualified but the other 8 3rd placed teams went through play-offs for the last 4 spots.

For 2020 There were 10 qualifying groups. Top 2 from each group automatically qualified but the last 4 spots are via Nation's League. Nation's League has 4 leagues. Each league gets a playoff spot. That's how Hungary, Scotland, North-Macedonia and Slovakia qualified.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
No you can qualify for the finals themselves via a play-off.

1 team from each league goes to the euros this way. It's like a back door.

It's needlessly complicated but it means practically every international match is competitive.
No.

In 2016 the top 2 teams in each group qualified for the Euros. The best team in 3rd place also automatically qualified but the other 8 3rd placed teams went through play-offs for the last 4 spots.

For 2020 There were 10 qualifying groups. Top 2 from each group automatically qualified but the last 4 spots are via Nation's League. Nation's League has 4 leagues. Each league gets a playoff spot. That's how Hungary, Scotland, North-Macedonia and Slovakia qualified.
I see.. Thanks for that.

Foxbatt

Don't think bar maguire any other United player feature, so not too bothered.
It is funny that BBC line up does not show Maguire. I am sure that a non English commentary of the highlights kept saying Maguire and also later Lingard? Surely he didn't play?

croadyman

Frustrating campaign but no hiding from the fact that 3 goals in 5 games just isn't good enough for the players we have.

Interesting to hear Southgate complain about not being able to pick his best squad,well maybe he shouldn't have made an example of Mason & Foden.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
It has come to the point where I feel pity with England. They have another fraud as a manager who will waste their window of potentially winning something or at least playing like a good, competitive team.

Last edited:

redshaw

Maybe Southgate can come good again for the Euros. Seems there's a lot of pressure from clubs and players to be left out due to the covid hit schedule. 6 international games after Iceland is a bit much, I don't think these games should even be going ahead.

We have good players missing, good players coming through but it's a real jumble of squads and selections, some has to be down to Southgate. It's like "get your England cap here".

Real Name

Not friendlies. Only reason Iceland had a shot at the Euros a few days ago was because of the Nation's League. Also the reason Scotland, North-Macedonia and Slovakia qualified.

They're competitive matches that replaced friendlies and your matched with team closer to your strength so no hastle of having to arrange matches. It's another trophy for players to win. People like winning trophies.
Also it has a bearing on a team ranking which means a better or worse group in next qualifiying and then better or a worse group in the Euros.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
We won’t win anything with Southgate at the helm, he’s pure garbage. It’s a shame as when he came in it was a breath of fresh air and I felt like I enjoyed watching England for the first time in years but he’s suddenly become so overly cautious and it’s costing us badly. We have some immense attacking talent, we have to find a way to get the most out of it.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
We won’t win anything with Southgate at the helm, he’s pure garbage. It’s a shame as when he came in it was a breath of fresh air and I felt like I enjoyed watching England for the first time in years but he’s suddenly become so overly cautious and it’s costing us badly. We have some immense attacking talent, we have to find a way to get the most out of it.
It wasn't that sudden actually, even at the WC England cruised through basically due to set pieces and solid defending. And to be fair, credit to them as it was obvious set pieces were spot on and drilled to perfection. I do agree that Southgate's start had some promise though.

TrustInJanuzaj

It wasn't that sudden actually, even at the WC England cruised through basically due to set pieces and solid defending. And to be fair, credit to them as it was obvious set pieces were spot on and drilled to perfection. I do agree that Southgate's start had some promise though.
Yeh I agree it was built on a well drilled team but I didn’t think his selections were as negative as they are currently. I mean that lineup yesterday was absolutely shocking, and I’m finding it crazy that he’s still going back to players who have no right on the international scene anymore, Pickford, Trippier, Mings are all shocking.

Ramos

Nations League is basically both a competition (you can win) and "a safety net" or an alternative route to make it to the WC/Euros.

The first Nations League (18-19) was won by Portugal and Hungary, Slovakia, Scotland and N. Macedonia used it to qualify for Euro 2020.

The second Nations League (20-21) (currently disputed) will be won by one of France, Belgium, Denmark, Spain, Germany, Italy, Netherlands or Poland and will provide the chance for the 2 best nations in the overall Nations League ranking that can't qualify for WC 2022 directly or the WC 2022 playoffs to still get a spot in those playoffs.

Hope that helps.

Classical Mechanic

Yeh I agree it was built on a well drilled team but I didn’t think his selections were as negative as they are currently. I mean that lineup yesterday was absolutely shocking, and I’m finding it crazy that he’s still going back to players who have no right on the international scene anymore, Pickford, Trippier, Mings are all shocking.
Pickford shouldn't be playing but in the other defensive postitions we had a glut of withdrawals: Maguire, Gomez, Coady, James and TAA. I doubt that Tripper and Mings would be playing if we had those players to chose from.

We've actually picked up loads of injuries before and during this break

Chilwell
Henderson
Rashford
Sterling
Coady
TAA
Gomez

The game against Iceland should be played with the intensity of a meaningless friendly or cancelled altogether if possible.

lysglimt

Scout
Norway actually managed to gather a fairly strong side considering they are basically missing the 25 best players give or take

Anders Kristiansen - Union Saint Gilloise
Per K Bråtveit - Djurgården
Andreas Vindheim - Sparta Prague
Jørgen Skjelvik - Odense
Julian Ryerson - Union Berlin
Daniel Granli - Aalborg
Ruben Gabrielsen - Toulouse
Andreas Hanche-Olsen - Gent
Tobias Børkeeiet- Brøndbye
Sondre Tronstad- Vitesse Arnhem
Fredrik Ulvestad - Djurgården
Håkon Evjen - Az 67
Ghaias Zahid - Apoel Nicosia
Kristoffer Askildsen - Sampdoria
Kristian Thorstvedt - Genk (yes son of Erik)
Mats M Dæhli - Genk
Jørgen Strand Larsen - Groningen
Veton Berisha - Viking

And that is without 2 players who dropped out due to injuries
Tokmac Nguyen from Ferencvaros
Håvard Nielsen from Greuter Furth

Of course - if they beat Austria, it will be one of the biggest surprises in modern football - but it's still a decent team

TrustInJanuzaj

Pickford shouldn't be playing but in the other defensive postitions we had a glut of withdrawals: Maguire, Gomez, Coady, James and TAA. I doubt that Tripper and Mings would be playing if we had those players to chose from.

We've actually picked up loads of injuries before and during this break

Chilwell
Henderson
Rashford
Sterling
Coady
TAA
Gomez

The game against Iceland should be played with the intensity of a meaningless friendly or cancelled altogether if possible.
Yeh that’s fair enough, I still don’t think it excuses that selection last night though. I mean Jason Sancho was sat on the bench while we played Mount in the front three.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Norway actually managed to gather a fairly strong side considering they are basically missing the 25 best players give or take

Anders Kristiansen - Union Saint Gilloise
Per K Bråtveit - Djurgården
Andreas Vindheim - Sparta Prague
Jørgen Skjelvik - Odense
Julian Ryerson - Union Berlin
Daniel Granli - Aalborg
Ruben Gabrielsen - Toulouse
Andreas Hanche-Olsen - Gent
Tobias Børkeeiet- Brøndbye
Sondre Tronstad- Vitesse Arnhem
Fredrik Ulvestad - Djurgården
Håkon Evjen - Az 67
Ghaias Zahid - Apoel Nicosia
Kristoffer Askildsen - Sampdoria
Kristian Thorstvedt - Genk (yes son of Erik)
Mats M Dæhli - Genk
Jørgen Strand Larsen - Groningen
Veton Berisha - Viking

And that is without 2 players who dropped out due to injuries
Tokmac Nguyen from Ferencvaros
Håvard Nielsen from Greuter Furth

Of course - if they beat Austria, it will be one of the biggest surprises in modern football - but it's still a decent team
Rings a bell, that name :lol:

Snow

Also it has a bearing on a team ranking which means a better or worse group in next qualifiying and then better or a worse group in the Euros.
Friendlies also did that, Nation's League count a litte bit more bu I'm not sure how much the difference relative to the the other conferences.

croadyman

I don't know what is the bigger crime: 3 goals in 5 matches (Two of them were penalties) or the stupid 3-4-3 system with two defensive midfielders :mad:
Both things played their part in England failing to qualify for the nations league finals

croadyman

Yeah he has to find a way for us to get more out of this team,maybe don't set up with 2 holding mids all of the time then perhaps we will flow more.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Pogba starting, which is good.
Martial not starting, which is also good.
Bruno starting, which is obvious but hopefully he won't have to play 90'.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Pogba starting, which is good.
Martial not starting, which is also good.
Bruno starting, which is obvious but hopefully he won't have to play 90'.
Good? The twat has done it again. Poor clearance leads to Sweden’s goal

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I still don't get what Luis Enrique got against Luis Alberto :houllier:

90 + 5min

I'm not even surprised that there are so many injuries and that Liverpool are being one of those casulties. They are one of teams that play with lot of intensity and fast breaks. Lot of running and pressure on muscles. Players, playing lot of games and especially internationals, can't recover ther bodies and muscles. I wouldn't bet against more players getting injuries.