Internationals November (Nations League / Euro 2021 play-offs / Friendlies)

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Job done, good stuff

We still desperately need a striker

Deery

Dreary
I see England are the best in the world again after beating Iceland (population 330,000).

Hester_manc

A detail of Belgium's 2-1 goal over Denmark is that the referee calls Andreas Christensen over to talk to him. Meanwhile, Belgium take the free kick quickly and score in the empty space that Andreas Chrisensen has left to get over to the referee. But the referee lets Belgium play.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I see England are the best in the world again after beating Iceland (population 330,000).
Who's already sent their best players home because the game didn't matter and were literally retiring 5 players tonight and were down to 10 men because the ref was a bit shit.

How can England be 3rd in the group when we have a better goal difference than Denmark?
Have you watched England in this tournament? They were terrible away to Iceland and lucky to get the win. They were bad against Denmark, failed to score both games. Traded wins with Belgium. 2 good games out of 6. Danes were more consistent with 4 good games played (bad in the last two but still won one of them). Belgium obviously better.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Bittersweet watching Norway tonight. Loved the performance from a bunch of reserves that weren’t even called up three days ago and barely managed a training session together. But ultimately pissed off at how we always fall short at the final hurdles (not so much the equaliser tonight but in general). Feck the federation for always hiring dinosaurs with cowardly tactics, especially when we have two elite attacking players and should be playing to their strengths. Feck the managers for being cowardly dinosaurs. Feck our health authorities and government for being the only ones in the whole world failing to realise the importance of sports, and deliberately sabotaging whatever small chance we have to succeed.

Great to get that out of the system. Bring on the next international break in March, I’ll be ready for more heart breaks.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
We were doing quite well for a while, no? As in before game with Turkey.
This is the 6th game in a row without a win, I think? 2019 was quite good, despite being outclassed by Belgium both times, 2020 – not so much.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
This is the 6th game in a row without a win, I think? 2019 was quite good, despite being outclassed by Belgium both times, 2020 – not so much.
I thought we were 3 nill up against Hungary and they came back with 2 late goal. I was sure I watched it this year?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I thought we were 3 nill up against Hungary and they came back with 2 late goal. I was sure I watched it this year?
Yeah, we've played 6 games since then, 3 draws and 3 losses. 2 & 2 if you exclude friendlies.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yeah, we've played 6 games since then, 3 draws and 3 losses. 2 & 2 if you exclude friendlies.
Really? Ah well.. Fecking stopped really following international football after Euro 2008. :lol:

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Have you watched England in this tournament? They were terrible away to Iceland and lucky to get the win. They were bad against Denmark, failed to score both games. Traded wins with Belgium. 2 good games out of 6. Danes were more consistent with 4 good games played (bad in the last two but still won one of them). Belgium obviously better.
None of any of this are criteria for being placed 3rd in the table, despite having the same points and a better goal difference than the 2nd placed team.

Someone else has already explained the real reason, so don't worry.

In any case, I'm fully aware that England flatter to deceive. Often looking World class against cannon fodder only to display the reality of our level against anyone decent.

Classical Mechanic

None of any of this are criteria for being placed 3rd in the table, despite having the same points and a better goal difference than the 2nd placed team.

Someone else has already explained the real reason, so don't worry.

In any case, I'm fully aware that England flatter to deceive. Often looking World class against cannon fodder only to display the reality of our level against anyone decent.
I think England were the better side against Belgium in the second game. In the first game I think it was even on the quality of chances over the course of the game but one win each was fair, even if they were the wrong way round.

I think the big issue we had (aside from fitness issues in the first break) was indiscipline. We gave away 4 penalties and received 3 red cards in this group. The Maguire red against Denmark was the defining moment in the competition for us. We were in the commanding position in the group at that point but eventually losing that game meant we had to go to Belgium and win.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Of course Iceland weren't good but who would have thought that we would play really good football and are scoring many goals if Southgate trusts his quality attacking players :rolleyes:

Good Nations League finals tournament with France, Spain, Italy and Belgium :drool: