Internationals October (Euro Qualifiers + Friendlies)

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Late 30s. So depends on definition of young I guess. I'll gladly have you consider that to be young tho!
I wish I was late 30s:(

There was a time when we were so poor that it was rare to see a Utd player in the England squad. I only used to watch England to see Pancho Pearson.
Mind you Liverpool and a couple of others were so dominant that it was no surprise

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He’s a destroyer in a 3 man midfield if best.
Rice and Henderson in a 2 man midfield is a joke :lol:
Yeah. Essentially that's the issue with our midfield at the moment. We have Henderson who is a consistent 7/10 performer but the rest of them are wildly inconsistent. Rice and Barkley are both capabale of great performances or pretty bad ones and Mount is a bit of an unknown at INT level. We desperately need another midfielder like Henderson to come in the squad or an upgrade on Rice if we want to play with Henderson in a two and Mount/Barkley/Maddison as a CAM.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
Fecking Declan Rice, totally overrated. Game IQ for attacking football v limited. Henderson not much better tonight but shown it historically.
He is going to cost United 60-70 pound and become a solid squad player

Inigo Montoya

Fecking Declan Rice, totally overrated. Game IQ for attacking football v limited. Henderson not much better tonight but shown it historically.
Never understand why 2 such slow negative players are picked

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
In wonder if Rice would get hyped up half as much if he played for someone more unfashionable (in terms of breeding English youngsters) then West Ham, like Newcastle or Palace or something.

mu4c_20le

It's painful watching this England side trying to bypass the midfield with hopeful balls and failing.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah. Essentially that's the issue with our midfield at the moment. We have Henderson who is a consistent 7/10 performer but the rest of them are wildly inconsistent. Rice and Barkley are both capabale of great performances or pretty bad ones and Mount is a bit of an unknown at INT level. We desperately need another midfielder like Henderson to come in the squad or an upgrade on Rice if we want to play with Henderson in a two and Mount/Barkley/Maddison as a CAM.
Thing is Henderson hasn't really played in a two man midfield for years. Klopp's been lining up with a midfield three and has moved Henderson around that midfield.

I'm not convinced Henderson is capable of playing in a midfield two.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Winks is twice the player of Rice... No idea why he's not preferred.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Soon as he's upto speed with Chelsea and in the England squad could be worth using Reece James as a midfielder.

Only question mark would be whether he could seemlessly transition from playing RB for club and CM for country.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Southgate must be a bit of a dumbass, because we're worked out very easily. Man mark Henderson and Rice and our game is fecked. Yes get Winks on ffs

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Thing is Henderson hasn't really played in a two man midfield for years. Klopp's been lining up with a midfield three and has moved Henderson around that midfield.

I'm not convinced Henderson is capable of playing in a midfield two.
I think he would be if he had someone like Kante beside him. Basically we need to find the English Kante.

Token Sheet

"No 6 bus to Old Trafford 6p, Admission to re
Is 1 United player on the pitch basically the lowest its ever been in England or have there been times when there was none?
The infamous "Wally with the brolly" game in 2007,when we lost 3:2 to Croatia and failed to qualify for euro 2008,there were no Utd players in the team.
Was a blessing in disguise a,s little englanders couldn't blame a Utd player, as in previous tournament eliminations.

OohAahMartial

This game just goes to show that even if you have the best front 3 in International football, if you have a crap midfield the football will be shit, both the defense and offense will be made to look bad. We have the same problem. Desperately need dynamic, technical, midfielders who can pass and move, create, control and progress the play.

Inigo Montoya

Soon as he's upto speed with Chelsea and in the England squad could be worth using Reece James as a midfielder.

Only question mark would be whether he could seemlessly transition from playing RB for club and CM for country.
That’s the thing. England players play such different systems then have to adapt to playing with dross like Keane and Rose. Even Sterling can look ineffective in this team

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
This game just goes to show that even if you have the best front 3 in International football, if you have a crap midfield the football will be shit, both the defense and offense will be made to look bad. W have the same problem. Desperately need dynamic, technical, midfielders who can pass and move, create, control and progress the play.
Indeed. this is really frustrating to watch. Because neither Henderson nor Rice can cope in tight spaces with their back to play. And there is no other midfield option dropping back to create some extra angles. Seems so obvious, maybe there's something we're all missing.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
We're so losing this in the second half, to a silly set piece or something. Done nothing since the pen have England.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Luxembourg have improved so much from a few years ago. They're playing out from the back and causing us problems.

Not such a big surprise they drew away to the World Champions after seeing this first half.

redshaw

Probably how we'd look right now if we bought Sancho and Kane.

saivet

Poor half from us. I think Southgate needs to change things up as Rice and Henderson doesn't work well. I'd prefer just one of them in there next to Winks if we try playing 4231 more often.

I think we have some good players coming through that can play no.10 or the advanced no.8 role well in Mount, Ox, Foden and Maddison but it's the midfielders behind them we lack quality and depth.

I also don't understand why Keane still plays, think we have better options there even if they aren't great.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
This czech team is pretty organized and intense.

Ekeke

In wonder if Rice would get hyped up half as much if he played for someone more unfashionable (in terms of breeding English youngsters) then West Ham, like Newcastle or Palace or something.
Yes he would, the current trend is to overrate every young English player. Theres worse players than him that are hyped up

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
I have watched football all my life and still dont understand how a team can destroy another team at home. Same teams play in another country and its completely different game. Never understood this