Internationals September (Euro Qualifiers)

redshaw

Rashford and Foden did feck all coming on.

Aside from Kane playing deep sometimes, England struggled to produce.

RedDevilQuebecois

If this is not the thread, I'll move elsewhere.

Anyone watching Germany vs. Japan? The Blue Samurai supporters are doing all the noise in Wolfsburg so far.

RedDevilQuebecois

Junya Ito gives Japan a lead in Germany. Or was that an Antonio Rüdiger own goal? :lol:

Hansi Flick was already in the hot seat, but this...

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Has anyone in football history ever asked or even got excited for the September international break? Just the absolute worst.

RedDevilQuebecois

Are you serious, Ueda? He had to score that on the breakaway after Nico Schlotterbeck did a Steven Gerrard.

Has anyone in football history ever asked or even got excited for the September international break? Just the absolute worst.
It depends on the type of matchup. Most September-based international matches are poor, but some of them (like this Germany vs. Japan) can be really good.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
If this is not the thread, I'll move elsewhere.

Anyone watching Germany vs. Japan? The Blue Samurai supporters are doing all the noise in Wolfsburg so far.
Says it all about the rise of Japanese football that them leading Germany nowadays isn't even a shock result (even if this is a very mediocre Germany side).

Just to recap they won v Spain and Germany in an actual world cup and then pushed Croatia all the way to penalties who of course have been 2nd and 3rd in successive World cups.

Go back to as recently as 2002-06 and they were still seen as minnows on the World stage and aside from Nakata the players signed by English clubs were just commercial operations (Inamoto and a guy Bolton signed upfront but never played).

Think with a kinder draw they should certainly be getting to QFs in 2026 and have potential to do a Morocco.

RedDevilQuebecois

Says it all about the rise of Japanese football that them leading Germany nowadays isn't even a shock result (even if this is a very mediocre Germany side).

Just to recap they won v Spain and Germany in an actual world cup and then pushed Croatia all the way to penalties who of course have been 2nd and 3rd in successive World cups.

Go back to as recently as 2002-06 and they were still seen as minnows on the World stage and aside from Nakata the players signed by English clubs were just commercial operations (Inamoto and a guy Bolton signed upfront but never played).

Think with a kinder draw they should certainly be getting to QFs in 2026 and have potential to do a Morocco.
Japan sure has made a very long way since their first World Cup in 1998. The biggest challenge for any developping nation is to maintain growth after they got a number of results against more powerful sides.

After that 2002-2006 minnow period, I remember that Japan lost 1-2 against England in one of the last preparation matches prior to the 2010 World Cup. That was before they went on to finish only behind the Dutch in the group stage of that same World Cup. After that, Japan earned their share of wins and played in some true epics against European sides (beating France 1-0 in 2012, losing 3-4 in an epic barnburner against Italy in the summer of 2013, drawing 2-2 against Louis van Gaal's Netherlands and then beating Belgium 3-2 a few days later in November 2013, that round of 16 match against Belgium in 2016). All credit to them for carrying on despite a few setbacks here or there.

I think 2026 could see them finally make it into the QFs too. Until then, I would love to see Japan putting up a contest against England at Wembley in another test match like this one.

RedDevilQuebecois

Gosh! If Ueda was any more clinical, he would have owned Ter Stegen with a hat-trick by now.

Last edited:

RedDevilQuebecois

Daniel Mann is not kind towards Hansi Flick at all here. He just said that the sack may be looming large, but I wonder who would replace him immediately if that's the case.

It should have been 3-1 to Japan once again.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Italy need to get a grip in these qualifiers. Don't want to face them in a playoff.

RedDevilQuebecois

3-1 finally. Takuma Asano buries Germany.

Sacked in the morning! Hansi getting sacked in the morning! Sacked in the morning! Hansi getting sacked in the morning!

RoyH1

This has to be the worst Germany team I have ever seen. I know it's far from the best generation they've ever had, but surely Flick has some big responsibility here too?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Even if we sack Flick, who is even a viable replacement? Nagelsmann?

Flick was supposed to be the perfect coach to get the team back. It's just been continuous downhill.

RedDevilQuebecois

Looking back, sacking Flick after the World Cup and then calling Klopp in early in the offseason would not have been the worst idea for the DFB to follow.

Last edited:

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Even if we sack Flick, who is even a viable replacement? Nagelsmann?

Flick was supposed to be the perfect coach to get the team back. It's just been continuous downhill.
Nagelsmann is way too young to be the national team coach. Also he is too smart to take over this broken team only 9 months before the home EM.

Surely it's not the best generation but they should be good enough to win against teams like Ukraine, Poland, Columbia and Japan.
Tuesday against France will be fun, if the French turn up.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Nagelsmann is way too young to be the national team coach. Also he is too smart to take over this broken team only 9 months before the home EM.

Surely it's not the best generation but they should be good enough to win against teams like Ukraine, Poland, Columbia and Japan.
Tuesday against France will be fun, if the French turn up.
Man for man there are players playing for some of the biggest clubs in Europe and Germany. The issue is that there were glaring gaps (RB, LB, ST, DM) in certain positions that mean the whole system of the team can't function.

No excuse for what we saw yesterday though. Some choices in the team selection have been woeful. Continuing with the Havertz at striker experiment ( yes Fullkrug is injured but Havertz would have started anyways), playing Kimmich at RB meaning he came inside a lot and left a huge gap are RB for Japan to exploit, and playing Can.

I would just like to see players who play in their favored position play in that position. A RB (Henrichs, Klostermann) playing RB, a DM playing DM (Kimmich, Andrich) and a ST playing ST (Fullkrug). While some might not be regulars for their teams, it's better you have players who know how to play the position with discipline.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
A win tonight and we are very close to qualifying for the second Euros in a row. A draw would still be a decent result and most likely keep us top of the group with the same amount of points as Slovenia. I shouldn't say this aloud as there's always a possibility of dropping points, but looking at the last four matches we've got, Slovenia (A) is the only one I could see us not winning. Failing to win tonight we'd need to win or draw in Slovenia though as I can't see Denmark dropping any points after tonight either.

Finland 5 +8 12
Denmark 5 +6 10
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Slovenia 5 +3 10
Kazakhstan 5 +3 9
N.Ireland 5 -3 3
San Marino 5 -17 0

Finland:

Denmark (H)
Slovenia (A)
Kazakhstan (H)
N.Ireland (H)
San Marino (A)

Denmark:
Finland (A)
Kazakhstan (H)
San Marino (A)
Slovenia (H)
N.Ireland (A)

Slovenia:
San Marino (A)
Finland (H)
N.Ireland (A)
Denmark (A)
Kazakhstan (H)

Kazakhstan:
N.Ireland (H)
Denmark (A)
Finland (A)
San Marino (H)
Slovenia (A)

Hoof the ball

Rashford is the strangest footballer I think I've ever seen, mad how many times he can flip between non league/world class level across a game.
I've always said this, and maintained it even during his super hot scoring spells, that not enough fans are able to critically analyse a player honestly.

If Rashford plays poorly in general, yet comes out the game with two goals, they'll state that he played well, as if those two things are symbiotically true.

Did Rashford score 30 last season? Yes. Was his statistical output impressive? Yes. Did he show remarkable improvement in his general play, decision-making and ball retention? No. It was generally much the same. But, for the scoring improvements, questions are his general play are too easily brushed over by cries of, "Ah, see?! He's scoring more. What are you complaining about?"

But now, his season hasn't started so good and all his previously brushed over flaws don't have his goals to divert the attention away. I don't think he'll ever reach a point of simply being able to make the right choice in the right moments. Far lesser talents than he excel at this aspect better than he does, and that is the biggest shame in this, because he has the talent to be at Mbappe level, yet, in his mind he doesn't possess the general wherewithall to play smart and mitigate his performance drops when he's not scoring.