Internationals September (World Cup Qualifiers)

Ramos

Nope. Sweden 2 games fewer, if they win all their games they top the group
Yeah, but the last one is Spain away. So Spain still has everything in their own hands, unlike before tonight.

Oranges038

I don't get the media love in for Southgate. Only the 6 defensive players and no subs tonight. He's so bloody negative.

Yeah, he got to a semi and a final, but it's Tony Pulis/Sam Allardyce football, if either of them were in the job and had them playing such crap they'd be hounded out.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, but the last one is Spain away. So Spain still has everything in their own hands, unlike before tonight.
Ah allright. For some reason i thought they'd already played both games

djembatheking

People should be careful what they wish for . Before Southgate the FA appointed Big Sam, Roy Hodgson, Fabio Capello and Steve McClaren and haven`t reached a semi final since Terry Venables . He may be defensive and boring in his style of play but he seems to have found a way to progress better than what we have been used to.

Bertie Wooster

People should be careful what they wish for . Before Southgate the FA appointed Big Sam, Roy Hodgson, Fabio Capello and Steve McClaren and haven`t reached a semi final since Terry Venables . He may be defensive and boring in his style of play but he seems to have found a way to progress better than what we have been used to.
Yep, I was just posting similar.

As regards entertainment and attacking intent, I don't really see that much difference from England under Southgate as I did under previous managers - most of whom got widely criticised for being 'dull' and 'pragmatic' while they were in charge as well.

And he's at least delivered better results: taking over a team after a disastrous Euro 2016 - knocked out by Iceland - and has reached the WC S/F's and Euro Finals in his two tournaments.

Yes, he's been another pragmatic manager. But it's not like Mourinho taking over United and taking a club traditionally used to attacking and making them dull. England, like all the Home Nations, are generally pragmatic in style. Southgate has at least improved results even if the entertainment factor remains low.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The guy who scored for Poland is from my hometown, I knew his older sister back in my high school days (she is quite nice to look at I’ll say) and he played with our crew at a schoolyard a few times. Nice.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

As regards entertainment and attacking intent, I don't really see that much difference from England under Southgate as I did under previous managers - most of whom got widely criticised for being 'dull' and 'pragmatic' while they were in charge as well.

And he's at least delivered better results: taking over a team after a disastrous Euro 2016 - knocked out by Iceland - and has reached the WC S/F's and Euro Finals in his two tournaments.

Yes, he's been another pragmatic manager. But it's not like Mourinho taking over United and taking a club traditionally used to attacking and making them dull. England, like all the Home Nations, are generally pragmatic in style. Southgate has at least improved results even if the entertainment factor remains low.
Southgate has had two of the most fortunate draws known to man.

Every time he comes up against a competent team he gets found out.

Bertie Wooster

I agree about the groups. Very fortunate draws.

But, for the second point - again, going back to previous managers, then I'd say the same applies to most England managers. And often worse. We failed to qualify, and then failed to get out the group, in the previous two world cups. And we failed to qualify, then lost in the first knockout round, of the previous two Euro's. When we have got through to the knockout rounds under previous managers, we've generally only beaten the calibre of Sweden, Ecuador, etc. And also got 'found out' when we come up against 'competent' teams like Brazil, Portugal, Italy. So I'm really not seeing much difference under Southgate - other than we've got to the SF's and Final before getting 'found out'.

I don't really enjoy the football under Southgate - but I've never really 'enjoyed' (from an attacking, skilful point of view) watching any of the Home Nations regardless of who the managers are. It's almost always pragmatic and more set piece orientated and lacking in many skilful dribblers or ball playing #10's than you get from some of the other nations each generation. That's got no better under Southgate, but the results (win %, progression in tournaments) have improved.

CloneMC16

There is very little difference. During my lifetime, I can't remember an England team that were fun to watch. I feel like we've been boring for quite a long time. Going back to the late 90's. Getting results is all that really matters and he has done better than his predecessors. I still have major issues with his lack of subs.

This is also true. The best team we've beat is Germany. They were clearly having their own issues, but they still have a very good team. I think all England fans were proud of that result. Apart from that, our other victories have been against teams that we should beat. Then again, against the good teams we lost to, I think most neutral fans would have expected us to lose. Maybe a bit less so against Croatia, but they were a great team in 2018.

berbasloth4

doesnt happen much but the ref in england game deserves major praise. could have easily lost control when things got heated but to be brave enough allow advantage for equiliser when probably easier to blow for a free was unreal

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Southgate will always be a nearly man.
Imagine being a poor man's Ole.

A-man

Because it happens more with Lindelof.

He's now in the position he should have always been in which is a backup CB. He's not terrible or anything, I just don't think you win big trophies if he's a first choice player.
Yes it happens more often to Lindelof than Maguire, but it is also because Lindelof is always last man, both in the NT and at United. We really want to avoid Maguire being exposed 1v1, especially as last man, as that’s one of his biggest weaknesses.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
How Southgate is still managing England is beyound me, he should have been thanked after the Euros with a brown paper bag as a good will gesture.

Can anyone explain why Southgate played the same starting for 90mins? At 75mins he should have sent on some fresh legs out there surely even someone who doesn't have a coaching badge could see some players were running out of fuel.

Withnail

How Southgate is still managing England is beyound me, he should have been thanked after the Euros with a brown paper bag as a good will gesture.

Can anyone explain why Southgate played the same starting for 90mins? At 75mins he should have sent on some fresh legs out there surely even someone who doesn't have a coaching badge could see some players were running out of fuel.
I've no idea why he didn't make a sub but England will still top the group. It's not like it was a must-win game or anything.

RooneyLegend

Wait, he didnt make a single sub?(only saw the first half). The man truly is a joke. Their were many players not contributing anything out there.

JuriM

Been cack so far. These have been bummed by everybody else in the group including Belarus.

We're Bale's retirement away from being Ireland. :(
Belgium's game was the first one this wc 2022 games, we had our main squad - last spring we had to play our C squad, because of Covid case our main squad was in isolation. So we played C squad against Czech and Belarus.
Horribly frustrating night for Wales, Wilson should have scored after 40 seconds when clean through and it was pretty much one way traffic but the lack of any other recognized striker behind Kieffer Moore really told tonight. Constant pressure but Bale is ultimately being asked to create and finish and he cannot do both, Roberts also missed a sitter and the keeper made a few good saves from Bale who also hit the post but it just wasn't to be.
Was great night for us, young Karl Jakob Hein had massive game in goal and rest of our squad were on sync also. Almost nibbed a late winner there with Kreida hitting the crossbar.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Wait, he didnt make a single sub?(only saw the first half). The man truly is a joke. Their were many players not contributing anything out there.
He said he didn't make a sub because they were in complete control and he'd just be making a sub for the sake of it.
He hasn't learned that at 1-0 you are never in complete control.

Bertie Wooster

Belgium's game was the first one this wc 2022 games, we had our main squad - last spring we had to play our C squad, because of Covid case our main squad was in isolation. So we played C squad against Czech and Belarus.

Was great night for us, young Karl Jakob Hein had massive game in goal and rest of our squad were on sync also. Almost nibbed a late winner there with Kreida hitting the crossbar.
I see Hein is on the books of Arsenal. Any recommendations for any other young Estonians to look out for?

I remember some of the top ones from previous years like Oper, Kavlan, Poom (I see his son is an international now), and older current players like Vassiljev. But any of the younger players coming through that you think might replicate those?

JuriM

I see Hein is on the books of Arsenal. Any recommendations for any other young Estonians to look out for?

I remember some of the top ones from previous years like Oper, Kavlan, Poom (I see his son is an international now), and older current players like Vassiljev. But any of the younger players coming through that you think might replicate those?
Rauno Sappinen who has led Fc Flora to European Conference league isn't that young, 25, but this year he has really matured into profilic goal scorer. Erik Sorga who in on loan at VVV Venlo now, from Dc United - had bad injury and MLS Covid situation screwed him there, so making a comeback now. Scored vs Belgium.

Maksim Paškotsi, only 18 playing for Spurs U23 and training in main squad and included into their European Conference squad.

Märten Kuusk is also Fc Flora player, really modern center back, with nimble feet - 2nd captain for our national team already.

Vladislav Kreida & scorer vs Belgium - Mattias Käit also worth to keep in mind.

Reactions: roonster09

Bertie Wooster

Rauno Sappinen who has led Fc Flora to European Conference league isn't that young, 25, but this year he has really matured into profilic goal scorer. Erik Sorga who in on loan at VVV Venlo now, from Dc United - had bad injury and MLS Covid situation screwed him there, so making a comeback now. Scored vs Belgium.

Maksim Paškotsi, only 18 playing for Spurs U23 and training in main squad and included into their European Conference squad.

Märten Kuusk is also Fc Flora player, really modern center back, with nimble feet - 2nd captain for our national team already.

Vladislav Kreida & scorer vs Belgium - Mattias Käit also worth to keep in mind.
Thanks very much for those, and the extra information on them. I'll keep an eye out for them. :)

Wayne's World

What has happened to Chile? Currently losing 2-0 and looks like they are out of making the World Cup already....

Bleu

Supports
New England Revolution
Sack Southgate after he took you to a Euro final? Like LvG said to the reporter the other night, you know nothing about football. Just as Ole was supposedly a pathetic manager, Southgate is also pathetic to the brilliant minds on here. I love seeing all the coaching badges we have here, I am very impressed. A bit envious too, yes.

Chicharo

I think Messi never looked this good playing for NT. Yeah, it's Bolivia, but winning Copa America definitely gave him a huge boost to win the only trophy he still doesn't have
Congrats to Argentinian fans

Last edited:

Gandalf

Cannot argue with that, Wales might have had the better of the game but that does not mean Estonia did not play well, really good team performance and Hein provided more evidence that Arsenal wasted their money on Johnstone as on that performance he is already good enough to challenge Leno.

JuriM

Cannot argue with that, Wales might have had the better of the game but that does not mean Estonia did not play well, really good team performance and Hein provided more evidence that Arsenal wasted their money on Johnstone as on that performance he is already good enough to challenge Leno.
You mean Aaron Ramsdale, right? Not Johnstone.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
I think Messi never looked this good playing for NT.
He did, his Qualifier games to 2014 WC were even better than the ones we are seeing now to 2022 WC...people just gets a different perception of "performance" based on winning trophies or not.
His performances from Copa America 2015-2016 were equally good as the one we saw this year, difference is that the outcome on the final was different, and that, wrongly, changes people perception overall.

The same happens with Cristiano, individually peak Ronaldo at Madrid were his first 3 years when he didn't win much as Real Madrid got outperformed by a monstrous Barcelona, so people think that peak Cristiano is the one who won the UCL triplete, not the one who was a beast but didn't win much trophies.

Last edited:

Chicharo

He did, his Qualifier games to 2014 WC were even better than the ones we are seeing now to 2022 WC...people just gets a different perception of "performance" based on winning trophies or not.
His performances from Copa America 2015-2016 were equally good as the one we saw this year, difference is that the outcome on the final was different, and that, wrongly, changes people perception overall.

The same happens with Cristiano, individually peak Ronaldo at Madrid were his first 3 years when he didn't win much as Real Madrid got outperformed by a monstrous Barcelona, so people think that peak Cristiano is the one who won the UCL triplete, not the one who was a beast but didn't win much trophies.
Maybe I didn't express my self properly. Of course he had some fantastic games for ARG, but he had carried a heavy burden before he won the CA. Now his eyes look scarier than ever before, looks more comfortable as if he had a huge boost of adrenaline and it seems that he finally realized that he can win the WC
Might be just my opinion...