IPL 2014

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It's time for a new thread for the root off all evil in cricket a.k.a the Indian Premier League.

CSK have retained: Ashwin, Raina, Dhoni, Bravo and Jadeja.
RCB have retained: Gayle, Kohli and AB with Vettori as coach
RR have retained: Samson, Faulkner, Binny, Rahane and Watson.

DD have announced Kirsten as their new coach. Other teams should announce their retained list by 5pm today.

So main questions

Who'll be the fixers this time around?
Which failed Australian player will revive their career and slot straight into the test team?
Which young Indian batsman will thrive in this competition?

zing

Zingle balls
I like the auction. It's the most interesting thing about the IPL for me.

Think RR have made a mistake. The transfer kit is $9.6m and they've spent ~$750k on Binny, while retaining only 2 foreign players. They could've picked up a really good foreign all-rounder for that kind of money and signed a local Indian player for cheap, instead of doing the other way around.

The likes of Albie Morkel were signed for $600k in previous auctions. With reduced cumulative salary cap, less teams in the auction, I think decentish all-rounders will be available for that money or so.

KM

Was hoping CSK doesn't retain Jadeja. They're a death bed for young Indian players. Baba Aparajith went game less last season. I hope each youngster signs up with Rajasthan Royals.

Regarding Binny whilst I don't see the value of resigning him but it has to be said that RR usually gets this type of decision spot on.

zing

Zingle balls
Yea. Jadeja would get more exposure elsewhere, I guess. He'll bat #7 and be the 4th bowler here.

I think Aparajith will play this season.. the Badrinath role.

Frankly, am happy if none of our test potential youngsters get IPL caps.

zing

Zingle balls
Was hoping CSK doesn't retain Jadeja. They're a death bed for young Indian players. Baba Aparajith went game less last season. I hope each youngster signs up with Rajasthan Royals.

Regarding Binny whilst I don't see the value of resigning him but it has to be said that RR usually gets this type of decision spot on.
What's the criteria for a player to be in the auction? I remember it being a minimum of one Indian appearance.. but Samson/Binny have been retained. Thought they'd not be in the auction.

KM

What's the criteria for a player to be in the auction? I remember it being a minimum of one Indian appearance.. but Samson/Binny have been retained. Thought they'd not be in the auction.

I don't really know. The auction stuff is difficult.

KM

Yea. Jadeja would get more exposure elsewhere, I guess. He'll bat #7 and be the 4th bowler here.

I think Aparajith will play this season.. the Badrinath role.

Frankly, am happy if none of our test potential youngsters get IPL caps.

I disagree with it. The youngsters have a chance to play with world class players and get tips from world class coaches. Shami attributes his success to Wasim Akram and Rahane also says that the mentorship of Dravid helped him in his career. I really don't think the IPL ruins any technique of batsman or something like that.

Kohli, Rahane, Vijay and Rohit are all huge successes in IPL and all fo them have the game for test match cricket. The only exception here is Pujara who doesn't play IPL cricket but then he's a class act and I expect him to be a success this time around.

zing

Zingle balls
It definitely can't help up and coming batsmen to abandon ideas of the leave, the cover drive, the straight drive while looking to hit every ball for a four or a six.

Ricky Ponting said in an interview that this is influencing kids as while earlier cricket was about batting time, now it is not.

It is one thing for established quality cricketers to switch to T20, but for kids learning their basics to have this sort of thing part of their formative years will not help.

zing

Zingle balls
They have done away with he Indian caps restriction this time.
okay, thanks.

Who is Manan Vohra? Kings 11 have retained him.

Seems like a strange move to retain David Miller. Using a 'right to match' card on him would've made sense as he wouldn't have fetched more than 2 million at the auction.

zing

Zingle balls
Delhi retain no one.

I can see 5 players in their squad worth retaining which would've together cost less than 5 players of equal quality at the auction.

Edit: no, actually

Was thinking KP + Jayawardene + Warner + Yadav + Aaron.. may be they'll cost less at the auction, considering the limited funds available to all other teams now and the amount needed to retain players.

KM

So MI have retained Rayudu and Harbhajan but not Johnson and Maxwell. Good move that.

Also without sound like a cricket elitist, I don't really support any of the IPL teams. I like to watch IPL but I can't feel too emotionally attached to a team. Some of my mates are die hard Daredevils fans which I find to be strange.

zing

Zingle balls
Yea.

I used to like CSK initially but then got bored because they kept winning. I used to watch just their games in seasons 3 and 4. After that I lost interest.

Last season I tried to catch Rajasthan's games because their brand of cricket was interesting.

zing

Zingle balls
I disagree with it. The youngsters have a chance to play with world class players and get tips from world class coaches. Shami attributes his success to Wasim Akram and Rahane also says that the mentorship of Dravid helped him in his career. I really don't think the IPL ruins any technique of batsman or something like that.

Kohli, Rahane, Vijay and Rohit are all huge successes in IPL and all fo them have the game for test match cricket. The only exception here is Pujara who doesn't play IPL cricket but then he's a class act and I expect him to be a success this time around.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/711783.html

"I had a really good chat with Boof during the one-day game and I think I've got some things to work on against good quality fast bowling," Bailey said. "I've probably got into some bad habits playing a lot of short form cricket so I've got to go away and work out how to get rid of those, and then work out how to adapt really quickly, which I think you see Pup and Steve Smith do really well, and that's what I've got to get to.

NinjaFletch

Absolutely crazy game today between CSK and KXIP.

Maxwell is some player.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Maxwell is fecking brilliant.

Pujara looks like a fish out of water though. Shouldn't be playing.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Maxwell, Miller and Bailey in the same team. And Sehwag.

Jesus.

zing

Zingle balls
They sort their bowling and their big favourites for me.
Johnson may come good.

No way to 'sort' the bowling out wiht hte limitation on foreigners.
May be give Sandeep Sharma a go..

Would drop Pujara for Mandeep, though.

NinjaFletch

Johnson may come good.

No way to 'sort' the bowling out wiht hte limitation on foreigners.
May be give Sandeep Sharma a go..

Would drop Pujara for Mandeep, though.
Yeah thats what I meant really.

Not sure Johnson is a great T20 bowler though, but I'm sure he can scare a few players enough to make by.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Yeah thats what I meant really.

Not sure Johnson is a great T20 bowler though, but I'm sure he can scare a few players enough to make by.
He did really well for MI last season. Him and Malinga were the main reason they won the IPL.

KM

Why the feck did they retain Manan Vohra if they weren't going to play him?

Also cost me some valuable fantasy league points. cnuts.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
He did really well for MI last season. Him and Malinga were the main reason they won the IPL.
True.

But these pitches don't seem to suit Mitch. Also, while he had a good outing last season, I never rate him that highly in ODIs or T20s. KXIP's biggest worry is they lack a good spinner. All other sides have at least one or two good spinners.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Maxwell is fecking brilliant.

Pujara looks like a fish out of water though. Shouldn't be playing.
On the contrary, I thought he batted sensibly. Maxwell and Miller were going for the big shots. If both batsmen go for the kill and you lose a couple of wickets quicky, you will be in big trouble.In Viru, Maxi, Bailey and Miller, they have big hitters. What they lack is someone who can hold one end. Pujara struggled early on but did well as the innings progressed.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
True.

But these pitches don't seem to suit Mitch. Also, while he had a good outing last season, I never rate him that highly in ODIs or T20s. KXIP's biggest worry is they lack a good spinner. All other sides have at least one or two good spinners.
IPL moving has hurt KXIP. Mohali pitch is one of the best ones in India in terms of assisting seamers, they were even playing at Dharamsala where the pitch had ample bounce.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
IPL moving has hurt KXIP. Mohali pitch is one of the best ones in India in terms of assisting seamers, they were even playing at Dharamsala where the pitch had ample bounce.
Well, till now they have played two and won two. And around ten odd days to go before the IPL returns to India.