IPL 2020

Skills

Snitch
Punjab :lol:

Weren't they 130/1?

Honestly, I don't know who's responsible but they've genuinely ruined KL Rahul the batsman. Whoever the feck that is, they need to make sure they hide Shaw from him.

MDFC Manager

Maybe the last 6 matches being won by the team batting first has influenced his decision?
Fair point. Just think that RCB are a bit different, their bowling can't be trusted to save their souls while defending targets.

Finch looked dazed out there. Fell for the oldest swing bowling trick in the book.

Skills

Snitch
Paddikal also going down the same route.

Honest question to Indian fans, why do all the young Indian top order batsmen play like this? Jaiswal was the same, KL Rahul is now the same, Paddikal also takes the same approach. Is it something they're being asked to do, to play their way into the Indian team?

paulscholes18

:lol: Some lucky shot from Kohli, closed his bat on the ball, somehow hit the back of his bat and went for 6

AshRK

Paddikal also going down the same route.

Honest question to Indian fans, why do all the young Indian top order batsmen play like this? Jaiswal was the same, KL Rahul is now the same, Paddikal also takes the same approach. Is it something they're being asked to do, to play their way into the Indian team?
Apart from Shaw none of them are crazy hitters. Rahul did well for some time but we saw even at the last WC last year, his strike rate was 80.

Skills

Snitch
Apart from Shaw none of them are crazy hitters. Rahul did well for some time but we saw even at the last WC last year, his strike rate was 80.
I don't think Rahul was like that though. He was quite a dynamic batsman from what I remember (and he still is when he's played the MO for India in his last few outings), but there's something about opening that makes them play so cautiously.

SinNombre

I don't think Rahul was like that though. He was quite a dynamic batsman from what I remember (and he still is when he's played the MO for India in his last few outings), but there's something about opening that makes them play so cautiously.
KL was never the most dynamic batsman as a youngster and then had a spell of 2 years when he suddenly developed into a 360 player and is now regressing to his mean.

Kohli (like Smith) is such a bad role model for young Indian batters to follow. This innings is such a classic Kohli knock; going at 100 S/R for most of the innings but he will suddenly end at 170 while still playing mostly riskless cricket.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
KL was never the most dynamic batsman as a youngster and then had a spell of 2 years when he suddenly developed into a 360 player and is now regressing to his mean.

Kohli (like Smith) is such a bad role model for young Indian batters to follow. This innings is such a classic Kohli knock; going at 100 S/R for most of the innings but he will suddenly end at 170 while still playing mostly riskless cricket.
Do you not accept that a batsman needs to get his eye in, to get a big score at 170 SR?
do you expect a batsman to be able to score 80+ without establishing conditions and his own form?

SinNombre

Do you not accept that a batsman needs to get his eye in, to get a big score at 170 SR?

do you expect a batsman to be able to score 80+ without establishing conditions and his own form?
Not every batsman should be looking to score 80+ in T20 cricket. There are only 20 overs.

Do what works for you. Players who are in the Butler/Pant ilk shouldn't be trying to play like Kohli, and then they end up eating half the overs and losing their wicket like young Padikkal in this match.

I am only talking about T20 cricket here. Ape Kohli/Smith as much as you want in longer formats.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
What’s with this game and wicket? Must be something weird about it as no one seems able to get beyond 100 SR

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Not every batsman should be looking to score 80+ in T20 cricket. There are only 20 overs.

Do what works for you. Players who are in the Butler/Pant ilk shouldn't be trying to play like Kohli, and then they end up eating half the overs and losing their wicket like young Padikkal in this match.

I am only talking about T20 cricket here. Ape Kohli/Smith as much as you want in longer formats.
You have a point watching this Chennai innings. They are stacked in hitters (Dhoni Curran jadeja) but batters batted so slowly, hitters have no time to make a decent impact.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
You have a point watching this Chennai innings. They are stacked in hitters (Dhoni Curran jadeja) but batters batted so slowly, hitters have no time to make a decent impact.
I wonder if a generation of Indian cricketers who watched Dhoni take games deep are pre-conditioned to play that way. It feels like the rest of the world is moving on before them.

paulscholes18

Not going to chance down anything if your top 4 hit 97 off 98, should have bumped up Curran to open or 3 to try and put some interpose in the innings.

AshRK

Csk and punjab are done. If tomorrow srh beats Rajasthan, then RR will also be done.

Skills

Snitch
I wonder if a generation of Indian cricketers who watched Dhoni take games deep are pre-conditioned to play that way. It feels like the rest of the world is moving on before them.
I think its more the Rohit & Dhawan effect. India for some reason have decided they need their openers to bat through half an innings at the cost of run-rate, so a lot of these players are now approaching top order batting in the same vain.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I think its more the Rohit & Dhawan effect. India for some reason have decided they need their openers to bat through half an innings at the cost of run-rate, so a lot of these players are now approaching top order batting in the same vain.
Am not sure why Indian selectors are so scared of retiring Rohit and Dhawan from white ball cricket. Space need to be created for this next generation to flourish on their terms.

Skills

Snitch
Am not sure why Indian selectors are so scared of retiring Rohit and Dhawan from white ball cricket. Space need to be created for this next generation to flourish on their terms.
Well Rohits still got more to give them in ODIs at least. But they need to be bringing the likes of Shaw/Gill into the fold on the ender end to him.

In T20s I might be tempted to open with Kohli himself with a hitter on the other end. Lets Iyer play at 3 too

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Well Rohits still got more to give them in ODIs at least. But they need to be bringing the likes of Shaw/Gill into the fold on the ender end to him.

In T20s I might be tempted to open with Kohli himself with a hitter on the other end. Lets Iyer play at 3 too
Sharma unlikely to be there in 2023 World Cup. I think ICCB needs symbolically draw a line under last era as its inhibiting new generation from flourishing. Time to place big long term bets.

SinNombre

No KL?

Shaw is an absolute must for India as an opener in T20I. He is playing his role perfectly, sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't but an opener shouldn't be eating up balls (unless you are an inform Kohli).

Sharma unlikely to be there in 2023 World Cup. I think ICCB needs symbolically draw a line under last era as its inhibiting new generation from flourishing. Time to place big long term bets.
This last generation is one of the greatest underachievers in international sport. 7 semifinal or final losses in a row.

ArmchairCritic

It's a good thing that the a bulk of the next-gen (Shaw, Iyer and Pant) are being influenced by Ponting.

KL Rahul came out after the last game and said he thought strike rate was 'very, very overrated', pretty telling.

Skills

Snitch
I'd let him bat at 5 in ODIs - he's only been tried out there this year but he's been very good. He over thinks it as an opener trying to bat like Rohit and Dhawan. At 5 the innings is already set and he either has to hit out or consolidate as per the situation.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
No KL?

Shaw is an absolute must for India as an opener in T20I. He is playing his role perfectly, sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't but an opener shouldn't be eating up balls (unless you are an inform Kohli).
This last generation is one of the greatest underachievers in international sport. 7 semifinal or final losses in a row.
Posted this before: plus minus this should be India’s immediate future IMO.

I think India should go with a squad like this for next years t20i World Cup. Remember that England have a fearsome and very experienced team.

Rahul
Shaw
Kohli
Samson
Iyer
Pant
Hardik
Jadeja
Chahal
Shami
Bumrah

Squad 15: Saini, Gill, Agarwal, Gopal

ArmchairCritic

Posted this before: plus minus this should be India’s immediate future IMO.

I think India should go with a squad like this for next years t20i World Cup.

Rahul
Shaw
Kohli
Samson
Iyer
Pant
Hardik
Jadeja
Chahal
Shami
Bumrah

Squad 15: Saini, Gill, Agarwal, Gopal
What's the point having Pant and Hardik in so late if Rahul and Kohli are going to soak up so many balls?

Top 5 for me:

Shaw
Rohit/Kohli (either as captain)
Iyer
Pant
H. Pandya

EDIT: Bit of recency bias in this looking at Rahul's T20I record, India need to focus on the future mind.

Last edited:

SinNombre

Agree with Armchair.

No point having hitters lower down if you play KL and Kohli in the top 3.

I would also play an additional bowler. Bumrah, Bhuvi + another genuine quick (one of Shami, Saini, Mavi). Jadeja at 7 and Bhuvi at 8 is fine for 20 overs of batting.

Last edited:

SinNombre

I'd let him bat at 5 in ODIs - he's only been tried out there this year but he's been very good. He over thinks it as an opener trying to bat like Rohit and Dhawan. At 5 the innings is already set and he either has to hit out or consolidate as per the situation.
What about T20Is? Bench until Kohli retires or starts declining?

Skills

Snitch
What about T20Is? Bench until Kohli retires or starts declining?
I'd say let him fight it for the gloves with Pant/Samson in the MO. The other thing India desperately need to avoid is too many keepers in the same line up (i.e. guys who can't bowl anything at all). They need to be able to hide some of their bowlers who are having a bad day

SinNombre

I'd say let him fight it for the gloves with Pant/Samson in the MO. The other thing India desperately need to avoid is too many keepers in the same line up (i.e. guys who can't bowl anything at all). They need to be able to hide some of their bowlers who are having a bad day
India should be playing 4 bowlers + Hardik and Jadeja imo. Gives them the option to hide one bowler if necessary. Iyer can bowl a bit of spin as well.

Agree about KL. One or 2 out of KL/Pant/Samson should be the middle order and the wicketkeeper.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
What's the point having Pant and Hardik in so late if Rahul and Kohli are going to soak up so many balls? Top 5 for me:
Shaw
Rohit/Kohli (either as captain)
Iyer
Pant
H. Pandya

EDIT: Bit of recency bias in this looking at Rahul's T20I record, India need to focus on the future mind.
Now we are talking.
Though it only works if top 3 get off to a flyer. If you lose 2 wickets in power play, would need someone like Samson/KL to stabilise.
So Samson/KL can float depending on situation

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Compare with England

Shaw...............................Roy
Rohit/Kohli.....................Buttler
Iyer..................................Bairstow
Pant................................Malan
H. Pandya.......................Morgan
Samson..........................Stokes

I'd back England 4 times out of 5.

SinNombre

India's bowling is where they have an edge on England, not their batting.

Bumrah, Shami(Saini), Bhuvi, Chahal, Jadeja is a very good attack.

At least, you can compete on the batting side in T20 once you get rid of the tuk-tuk batters.

AshRK

Our selectors lack balls and will never drop sharma or rahul and pick shaw. The issue is even the likes of Pant has not developed their game to become dependable. I also think Jadeja has become massively overrated both as a bowler and as a batsmen, i would even give sundar a chance to play. If pandya is no longer bowling and is only capable of bowling 2 overs then we cannot play all proper batters and need to fit in someone like Sundar or Dube.