IPL 2020

zing

Zingle balls
So if kings 11 win, one team from Delhi vs rcb are getting eliminated. Did not see this coming.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Delhi have been shambolic since Dhawan's centuries. Even on those two games, they were very lax and would have lost to CSK as well if Bravo had bowled the last over when they needed 17. Pant not catching form has been a huge problem since Iyer and Shaw have lost early season form. Even Stonios is back to being his average self with bat. Suddently what looked like the best batting line up in tournament looks bang average with no one in form. Bowling wise, they capitulation against KKR in middle overs was a shocker but otherwise I think it is still fine. What is mind boggling is that they have let their run rate being hurt so bad now 3 times in a row. At least against KKR, someone like Iyer should have decided to take the loss and make sure that RR was not hurt but instead everyone kept slogging.

crappycraperson

Scout
So if kings 11 win, one team from Delhi vs rcb are getting eliminated. Did not see this coming.
RCB's point total is deserved but not a true reflection on their quality. ABD won them 2-3 games and on another KKR capitulated completely. Their bowling unit has definitely surprised me this time since it is much better than previous editions. It is a shame that whoever wins out of RCB and DD would make top 2 since neither deserve it.

AshRK

My predictions for the remaining games

Csk beats Punjab
Rr beats KKR
Delhi beats RCB
SRH beats MI

Top 4
MI
Dc
Srh
Rcb ,(on run rate)

crappycraperson

Scout
It is possible that either RR and KKR can also get their RR either above DD/RCB or close to it, in which case even Punjab losing might not save them.

crappycraperson

Scout

Csk beats Punjab
Rr beats KKR
Delhi beats RCB
SRH beats MI

Top 4
MI
Dc
Srh
Rcb ,(on run rate)
My Predictions:

Punjab beats CSK (Even last loss for Punjab was close-ish, their intensity will be much higher than CSK, should see them through)
RR beats KKR (In better form)
RCB beats DD (ABD and Kohli are due a big one so think either will win this for then)
SRH beats MI (Again SRH intensity will be much higher than MI who will now play even more benchers I think).

Top 4
MI
RCB
SRH
Punjab

AshRK

My Predictions:

Punjab beats CSK (Even last loss for Punjab was close-ish, their intensity will be much higher than CSK, should see them through)
RCB beats DD (ABD and Kohli are due a big one so think either will win this for then)
SRH beats MI (Again SRH intensity will be much higher than MI who will now play even more benchers I think).

Top 4
MI
RCB
SRH
Punjab
Punjab not making in top 4 will be disappointing. So I wouldn't be surprised if they do a job tomorrow but csk themselves are on a roll and may cost them the game.
Which deciding on rcb delhi I was biased being a delhi supporter but even then rcb themselves are chokers so wouldn't be a surprise if they bottle it.

zing

Zingle balls
RCB's point total is deserved but not a true reflection on their quality. ABD won them 2-3 games and on another KKR capitulated completely. Their bowling unit has definitely surprised me this time since it is much better than previous editions. It is a shame that whoever wins out of RCB and DD would make top 2 since neither deserve it.
I have a simple heuristic. If you finish out your innings at the end with a less strike rate than expected, then your lineup needs an additional batter. If you constantly leave batsmen on the bench by close of innings, then you can consider dropping a batsman for a bowler.

RCB seem to constantly need runs from Gurkeerat and lower who scores runs at below expected strike rate for that passage of play. They need to get Dube in so that anyone above him can be more expansive in stroke play. Siraj isn’t needed.

crappycraperson

Scout
I have a simple heuristic. If you finish out your innings at the end with a less strike rate than expected, then your lineup needs an additional batter. If you constantly leave batsmen on the bench by close of innings, then you can consider dropping a batsman for a bowler.

RCB seem to constantly need runs from Gurkeerat and lower who scores runs at below expected strike rate for that passage of play. They need to get Dube in so that anyone above him can be more expansive in stroke play. Siraj isn’t needed.
Gurkeerat is literally the definition of just having someone to complete the team. They barely give him any batting chances, not as if when he gets them he does anything with them. But they could have any other player in the squad in the team instead of him and they will get more out of it. I think their squad is just not good enough and hence I had predicted they won't make play offs. Their winning run did prove that wrong. But when you look at it- Udana/Steyn are not good enough to play second foreign seamer role and they even got lucky that Morris was in good bowling form (before today at least) this season, they have Zampa but with Sundar/Chahal it does not make sense to spend a foreign position on spinner, Saini/Siraj are unreliable Indian pace bowlers, batting wise Padikal is a big find for them but they need Finch/Ali to come good.

AshRK

Gurkeerat is literally the definition of just having someone to complete the team. They barely give him any batting chances, not as if when he gets them he does anything with them. But they could have any other player in the squad in the team instead of him and they will get more out of it. I think their squad is just not good enough and hence I had predicted they won't make play offs. Their winning run did prove that wrong. But when you look at it- Udana/Steyn are not good enough to play second foreign seamer role and they even got lucky that Morris was in good bowling form (before today at least) this season, they have Zampa but with Sundar/Chahal it does not make sense to spend a foreign position on spinner, Saini/Siraj are unreliable Indian pace bowlers, batting wise Padikal is a big find for them but they need Finch/Ali to come good.
Finch has been a huge disappointment for them and probably one big reason they have not increased the 14 points tally. Funny enough this season it has been their bowling which has been better than their batting. Kohli probably has delivered his worst season till now (taking away from his early years). Abd has been hit and miss. Paddikal the only shining light and rest have been disastrous.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
My Predictions:

Top 4
MI
RCB
SRH
Punjab
Look like your first idea is wrong!

I think RR will somehow sneak through. Mumbai, RCB and SRH to join them.

AshRK

Csk beats Punjab
Rr beats KKR
Delhi beats RCB
SRH beats MI

Top 4
MI
Dc
Srh
Rcb ,(on run rate)
Not surprised csk beats punjab. Csk were never going to roll over and knew pressure would get to Punjab. Sad way to exit the tournament. They played good cricket but those early stupid losses have cost them.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Punjab had two chances to get one win that would’ve probably been enough to sneak them through, of course they fecked it up. Overseas players who aren’t contributing and local players out of their depth isn’t a recipe for success. I think KKR get the win today but Sunrisers will beat MI and get through on NRR.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
That stokes over probably costs Rajasthan top 4 as even if they win, run rate will be their downfall.

wonderful knock from Morgan

SinNombre

Not surprised csk beats punjab. Csk were never going to roll over and knew pressure would get to Punjab. Sad way to exit the tournament. They played good cricket but those early stupid losses have cost them.
KL eating balls up in every innings doesn't help.

Stat padding.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Rajasthan 34-4!
Calcutta are gonna win the entire IPL :lol:

Oh well. at least I can now concentrate on watching the whole United game without distractions

AshRK

For KKR to qualify Delhi need to lose by more than 18 runs or fail to score the target by 18.1 over. With a way it is going , maybe both RCB and DC qualify irrespective of the result.

Cloud7

I have to say, the way the IPL is set up really makes it one of my favorite tournaments in sport, and makes it run a lot of football tournaments close.

Look at the table. Look at the team in first place, and the team in last place. On paper, there isn’t that much between them, both teams have some serious quality in their lineups. Contrast that to say the difference between Liverpool and WBA on paper. The sort of gaps in player quality you see between teams in football, you don’t see it in the IPL. It’s simply a matter of anyone can beat anyone each season, and it comes down to which team shows up better on the day.

The way their squads are built and transfers are conducted is much fairer and palatable than football’s self perpetuating cycle of inequality.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I have to say, the way the IPL is set up really makes it one of my favorite tournaments in sport, and makes it run a lot of football tournaments close.

Look at the table. Look at the team in first place, and the team in last place. On paper, there isn’t that much between them, both teams have some serious quality in their lineups. Contrast that to say the difference between Liverpool and WBA on paper. The sort of gaps in player quality you see between teams in football, you don’t see it in the IPL. It’s simply a matter of anyone can beat anyone each season, and it comes down to which team shows up better on the day.

The way their squads are built and transfers are conducted is much fairer and palatable than football’s self perpetuating cycle of inequality.
That's the beauty of most American sports too. Fixed salary base is so much better than football

Cloud7

That's the beauty of most American sports too. Fixed salary base is so much better than football
It’s probably too late for football to take an approach like this now, but it makes the sport so much better in my opinion. It would make football infinitely better if it could be applied.

crappycraperson

Scout
My Predictions:

Top 4
MI
RCB
SRH
Punjab
3 out of 4 wrong so far :lol:

NinjaFletch

SRH looked very slick today. Might have hit their straps at the right time.

AshRK

Csk beats Punjab
Rr beats KKR
Delhi beats RCB
SRH beats MI

Top 4
MI
Dc
Srh
Rcb ,(on run rate)
Got it right. SRH are a dangerous side at this stage of the tournament. Want Delhi to win but MI are favorites for me and then SRH.

Cloud7

Bumrah really is something else. Guy is so lethal in all formats of the game.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Delhi have been the worst team in the league over the last 3 weeks and it's sort of crazy that we finished second . MI are just too good though, you have to play above your full potential to have a chance of beating them

AshRK

Delhi have been the worst team in the league over the last 3 weeks and it's sort of crazy that we finished second . MI are just too good though, you have to play above your full potential to have a chance of beating them
Dc have been shocking. I worry if they will miss out on finals again. Srh will be hard to get past. Best bet would be Rcb beating srh.