IPL 2023

SirAnderson

Entertaining match 1.

Defending champs GT getting the win albeit a bit nervy. The injury to Kane Williamson will be disappointing, hopefully it's not long term for them.

Haven't followed much of the transfers and players in form, so will be interest to see who wins it this season.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
IPL games are longer than they should be, 10 overs an hour is slower than a test match. I reckon they’ll have a 5 hour game at some point this tournament.

I also find the rule change to review wides and no-balls quite odd, Gill reviewed a shoulder height call that he’d just hit for 4 and they wasted a minute to decide there was nothing wrong with it even though the umpire had already decided that there was nothing wrong with it.

owlo

IPL games are longer than they should be, 10 overs an hour is slower than a test match. I reckon they’ll have a 5 hour game at some point this tournament.

I also find the rule change to review wides and no-balls quite odd, Gill reviewed a shoulder height call that he’d just hit for 4 and they wasted a minute to decide there was nothing wrong with it even though the umpire had already decided that there was nothing wrong with it.
Yea, spending 3 or 4 minutes on a wide call that the technology wasn't designed for or conclusive on seemed odd. Good game to get us going though.

ArmchairCritic

Yea, spending 3 or 4 minutes on a wide call that the technology wasn't designed for or conclusive on seemed odd. Good game to get us going though.
I think cricket needs to be careful because as we’ve seen with VAR you eventually get in a position where officials just stop making obvious calls because of technology.

owlo

I think cricket needs to be careful because as we’ve seen with VAR you eventually get in a position where officials just stop making obvious calls because of technology.
On the other hand the implementation has generally been very good - umpires call is a good system, DRS is streamlined and objective with the thinking [and audio is provided], and the players clearly respect it. Think it's more of an IPL issue than a cricket one, with 2 reviews in a 20 over game which generally wont be needed for 'normal' stuff, they can 'waste' them trying it out for a free hit etc.

ArmchairCritic

On the other hand the implementation has generally been very good - umpires call is a good system, DRS is streamlined and objective with the thinking [and audio is provided], and the players clearly respect it. Think it's more of an IPL issue than a cricket one, with 2 reviews in a 20 over game which generally wont be needed for 'normal' stuff, they can 'waste' them trying it out for a free hit etc.
This is the thing for me. DRS is clearly pretty good as it is but they’ve extended it out because of a few high profile sulks on specific decisions. I hope they don’t tinker with it anymore.

owlo

GT looking good again this year.

Enjoyable games all round as well.
Alzarri Joseph is showing some serious control to go with his pace. And I agree, generally more fun than football for me currently. Though there's not really been many shocks/close games outside of the first one.

So many ads though on TV, so many.

JohnnyKills

One of these wide challenges is going to end up with the batsman being given out on snicko.

IRN-BRUno

Stokes missing today, supposedly has a heel injury. Archer also left out as a precaution because of pain in his bowling arm.

Moeen ill today, Wood ill yesterday, Topley out with a dislocated shoulder and Buttler playing with a finger problem. Not the best of starts for the English players!

Sylar

Omg
Please tell me somebody else watched KKR Vs titans ending

owlo

I'm working, so missed this damn. Will have to watch a replay! Can somebody summarise?

SirAnderson

More drama today. Lovely stuff

Really wanted that super over though, would have been great, but man did MI make that super hard for themselves. Brilliant death bowling though from Nortje.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
CSK lost but can’t believe how good MS Dhoni is still as a finisher

AshRK

Considering my team Delhi are shit, I am rooting for RR. Brilliant side.