Iran Plane Crash and Subsequent Protests

The Firestarter

Well, that escalated quickly.

I'm more afraid now than I ever was before. Let's say Iran wants to launch nukes at occupied Palestine, I'd worry they'd hit us (Lebanon) by accident!
Who do you think will give those to them?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Bollocks to your bollocks,

There has always been a mixed view about the Obama deal with Iran being any good .It was obvious Trump was not going to abide by it and the US voted him in.

The Obama deal was only necessary because Iran changed tack on the previous non proliferation treaty.

The rest is semantics.

Iran has its reasons the US has theirs as does the EU and UK for the positions they take. All I wanted to point out because this part gets left out of these discussions, is that Iran has volition here and is responsible for its own predicament.
No they dont. Unless you're pointing to when they nationalized the petroleum co.

They're where they are today thanks to the US and their meddling

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

The world is built on capitalism. Without it where would we be? Scraping around in the dirt for food?

As far as I’m concerned religious states, particularly Islamic ones at this point in history are completely undesirable. Western countries bring freedom and stability, religious ones bring oppression.
What?

Freedom and stability?

Foxbatt

Shooting down any civilian airliner is a huge tragedy. If if happens deliberately then it is a war crime. By all accounts all the airlines that has been shot down, including the Korean Air, Iran Air and this Ukrainian one seems to be tragic mistakes. The MH is still open and not closed yet. No one is going to shoot down a civilian airliner. Since this comes under the purview of ICAO the facts are going to come out as Ukranine and Iran are involved in the investigations. BEA of France is leading the technical side of it.
In most cases the investigation is to find out the cause. Now in this case we all know the cause as it has been shot down by a SAM. Now the crucial part of the investigation would be to find out why the Operator fired the SAM.
By the way so far Iran has done this openly for whatever reasons they have may it be US has satellite information on this. Now they need to do the investigations as per the standards of ICAO to satisfy the International community. There is also compensation for the passengers and the airline as they have already said that they will do so.
I hope that this is a lesson learned for the world and to stop agitating for war.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat

The world is built on capitalism. Without it where would we be? Scraping around in the dirt for food?

As far as I’m concerned religious states, particularly Islamic ones at this point in history are completely undesirable. Western countries bring freedom and stability, religious ones bring oppression.
Way to respect others cultures, love the caf.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

Sweet Square

The Iranian coup of 1953 would disagree with you.

In 1953, a US-backed military coup overthrew Iran’s first democratically elected leader, Prime Minister Mohammad Mossadegh, in response to his decision to nationalize the highly lucrative oil industry, cutting off the gravy train the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company had been riding since 1909.

Time had honored the Western-educated leader the year before the coup as its man of the year, hailing him as “the most world-renowned man his ancient race had produced for centuries.” Suddenly, because he wanted to use Iran’s oil wealth to benefit his country, he was deemed a pinko.

Using American tax dollars to develop a network of Iranian agents and to bribe the regime’s opponents, the CIA launched political warfare against Mossadegh. It distributed fake news via posters and newspapers that called him corrupt, anti-Islam, and the Soviet Union’s ally, it encouraged religious leaders to criticize the prime minister from inside their mosques, and it enlisted street mobs to incite riots across Tehran.

Success finally came on August 19. Paid infiltrators played both sides: some posed as Tudeh party members attempting to foment revolution while others convinced the citizens to rise up against this threat. Eventually, amid growing anarchy, General Fazlollah Zahedi, paid off by the CIA, ordered his bribed military units to seize government facilities and Radio Tehran. He proclaimed himself “the lawful prime minister by the Shah’s orders” and collected $1 million in cash from the CIA.

Soon after, the Shah — Washington’s chosen dictator — assumed the throne, American oil companies moved in, and US-Iranian relations quickly warmed as the new regime squashed dissent, imprisoned opponents, and received unprecedented US arms shipments

https://jacobinmag.com/2017/01/russ...mossadegh-chile-allende-guatemala-arbenz-coup

Last edited:

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Well, that escalated quickly.

I'm more afraid now than I ever was before. Let's say Iran wants to launch nukes at occupied Palestine, I'd worry they'd hit us (Lebanon) by accident!
I can see that being a reality to be honest, what a sad world we live in.

Shooting down any civilian airliner is a huge tragedy. If if happens deliberately then it is a war crime. By all accounts all the airlines that has been shot down, including the Korean Air, Iran Air and this Ukrainian one seems to be tragic mistakes. The MH is still open and not closed yet. No one is going to shoot down a civilian airliner. Since this comes under the purview of ICAO the facts are going to come out as Ukranine and Iran are involved in the investigations. BEA of France is leading the technical side of it.
In most cases the investigation is to find out the cause. Now in this case we all know the cause as it has been shot down by a SAM. Now the crucial part of the investigation would be to find out why the Operator fired the SAM.
By the way so far Iran has done this openly for whatever reasons they have may it be US has satellite information on this. Now they need to do the investigations as per the standards of ICAO to satisfy the International community. There is also compensation for the passengers and the airline as they have already said that they will do so.
I hope that this is a lesson learned for the world and to stop agitating for war.
:lol: No they haven't. They initially blocked all outside access and denied it was anything to do with a missile. It was only when they realised they'd been caught red handed they started 'cooperating'.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Iran arrests missile videographer

Supposedly they have the wrong person too.
Way to go Iran, shooting the messenger.
Sounds like someone is going to suffer purely because he made it so Iran couldn't get away with it. I'm surprised they have stated he was arrested for that, and didn't just come up with some random planted evidence and claim it was totally unrelated.

Foxbatt

:lol: No they haven't. They initially blocked all outside access and denied it was anything to do with a missile. It was only when they realised they'd been caught red handed they started 'cooperating'.
It depends. No investigating authority can come out and say it has been shot down by a missile initially. By all accounts the State Authorities were not informed initially by the military that it was shot down. Once it was the Iranian President called the Ukranian President and only after sometime was it known to the public.
Now they have stated they are sending the DFDR to Kiev for the reading and if they cannot then it is going to France. A lot better than what others including USSR and USA has done. Everyone knew that both shot down civil aircraft. One the Iranian one was actually flying on an approved route and in Iranian airspace, while the KE did deviate from the approved route and was flying in banned airspace. No one was arrested while the US actually gave the Legion of Merit to the commander of the USS Vincennes.

Hanks

Today it marks 3 years since the downing of PS752.

I just came back from the candle lighting memorial in North York Toronto. Around 5-6k people were there, almost all Iranians.

Very emotional really, especially given what's going on now....Hamed Esmailion's speech (who lost his wife and only daughter in this terrorist act), was so touching, you have to be a stone not to cry after. He still wears his ring and says he'll continue his fight for justice until we know why and who ordered IRGC to shoot down the civilian airliner.

The IR regime is so lucky. They did a horrific, indefensible terrorist act and a month later Covid exploded and the whole international community completely forgot about it.

I lost my classmate and his wife on the plane. Most Iranian community in Canada knew someone on that plane. It's really personal.

We just have to get revenge. There is no other. choice. The only way to get justice for 176 innocent lives is to topple the regime and get IRGC and Khamanei to court to admit why they ordered the shooting of the civilian airliner.

Hopefully by this time next year ....

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Today it marks 3 years since the downing of PS752.

I just came back from the candle lighting memorial in North York Toronto. Around 5-6k people were there, almost all Iranians.

Very emotional really, especially given what's going on now....Hamed Esmailion's speech (who lost his wife and only daughter in this terrorist act), was so touching, you have to be a stone not to cry after. He still wears his ring and says he'll continue his fight for justice until we know why and who ordered IRGC to shoot down the civilian airliner.

The IR regime is so lucky. They did a horrific, indefensible terrorist act and a month later Covid exploded and the whole international community completely forgot about it.

I lost my classmate and his wife on the plane. Most Iranian community in Canada knew someone on that plane. It's really personal.

We just have to get revenge. There is no other. choice. The only way to get justice for 176 innocent lives is to topple the regime and get IRGC and Khamanei to court to admit why they ordered the shooting of the civilian airliner.

Hopefully by this time next year ....
Didn't they say they thought it was an American missile? This happened still after Soleimani died and Iran also attacked the US base in Iraq so there were a lot of tensions and as bad as the Iranian regime is I don't think they would have intentionally shot down a civilian airline that too with many Iranian civilians.

The US did the same to an Iranian flight in the 80s and nothing happened to them, Russian supported forces shot down Malaysian airlines and nothing happened to them. Nothing will happen of this as well.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Didn't they say they thought it was an American missile? This happened still after Soleimani died and Iran also attacked the US base in Iraq so there were a lot of tensions and as bad as the Iranian regime is I don't think they would have intentionally shot down a civilian airline that too with many Iranian civilians.

The US did the same to an Iranian flight in the 80s and nothing happened to them, Russian supported forces shot down Malaysian airlines and nothing happened to them. Nothing will happen of this as well.
Yeah because Iran loves its disapora so much.

RedDevilQuebecois

@Hanks Most sincere condolences to you and your late friend's family.

I also hope that the regime will fall soon in order for justice to be delivered. I still cannot wrap my head around how such a feck-up could even happen in the first place.