Ireland's Greatest Ever Sporting Achievement

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yep.

Love him or hate him, being the first to hold UFC championships in two weight classes simultaneously was and still is very impressive.
It was impressive but a lot less impressive than what Steve Collins or Katy Taylor achieved, if we’re going with combat sports. Even more so when you consider how the UFC is so far removed from being a proper meritocracy.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Wasn't there an Irish swimmer that won some medals but later got stripped of them for doping?

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Michelle De Bruin. That was our most short lived greatest sporting achievement.
Thanks , I remember it being a rollercoaster ride.

*Edit*

Reading about it on Wiki (not the best source) but it kind of sounds like she got screwed over as the doping allegations were never proven so she never lost the medals.

Balljy

Eoin Morgan winning the 2019 world cup must be up there :)

Terry Chango

It was impressive but a lot less impressive than what Steve Collins or Katy Taylor achieved, if we’re going with combat sports. Even more so when you consider how the UFC is so far removed from being a proper meritocracy.
I’m a young wipper snapper so I only caught up with Steve Collins career properly after he’d retired and yeh it’s impressive as you say.

Taylor’s story is amazing and being a fairly similar age I’ve watched her career and again what she’s achieved is actually nuts.

I do have a soft sport for MMA which is why I gravitate to it more than other combat sports.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I’m a young wipper snapper so I only caught up with Steve Collins career properly after he’d retired and yeh it’s impressive as you say.

Taylor’s story is amazing and being a fairly similar age I’ve watched her career and again what she’s achieved is actually nuts.

I do have a soft sport for MMA which is why I gravitate to it more than other combat sports.
Fair enough. We all have our soft spots. I’m fairly clueless about combat sports but love all ball sports (except golf, feck golf)

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
It's probably Stephen Roche doing cyclings triple crown of grand tours in 87, one of 2 people to have done it the other being Merckx
It’s definitely a sterling achievement but I’m also riddled with doubt as to Roche’s cleanliness during that era. (Kelly, too, for that matter.)

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
It’s definitely a sterling achievement but I’m also riddled with doubt as to Roche’s cleanliness during that era. (Kelly, too, for that matter.)
Have you seen the punishment for getting caught back then, 10mins added to your time also, he most than likely wasn't on the rocket up the arse EPO as it was still fairly new

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Why not start a thread about Norway’s greatest sporting achievements? We could all have a great laugh about that one time you beat England and the commentator name-checked Maggie Thatcher? Or maybe get some banter going about skiing uphill and shooting things?
Why the salt? Ireland beating England at a cricket world cup is a classic match and one of the great upsets. Definitely deserves a mention in this thread.

Go ahead and start a thread about Norway if that'll help you sleep at night :lol:

Green_Red

Being the first soccer team to beat England on their home turf at Goodison should be considered. Beating teams at their own game is always funny. Would love to see the day when another country would at least have a craic at one of our sports.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Why the salt? Ireland beating England at a cricket world cup is a classic match and one of the great upsets. Definitely deserves a mention in this thread.

Go ahead and start a thread about Norway if that'll help you sleep at night :lol:
Yeah that came across much more salty than I meant it to be! Was supposed to be banter #topbantz

And the cricket was a good shout.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Ireland isn’t as good as India though…?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Can’t believe nobody has mentioned the fact that both teams in the all Ireland hurling final were Irish this year.

Zen

All their victories will be usurped the second they don't bottle it a quarters in a world cup. So it's none of the NZ stuff.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Connor McGregor
Ireland Rugby series win in NZ
Brendan Dolan’s 9 darter

TheReligion

Abusive
That one time they prevented France from going to the WC.
Convincing the world that Andy Townsend is Irish?
Jack Grealish's Euro 2020 silver medal.
I know it's a horse but Red Rum's achievements have got to be up there.
Leicester winning the PL over a 38 game season after escaping relegation (I think) the previous year.
Eoin Morgan winning the 2019 world cup must be up there :)
:lol:

On a serious note surely Conor McGregor could have been the very very best? Just a shame he cared more about money than the sport itself.

Zen

There are no trophies for winning quarter-finals. Nobody cares who makes the semis. Winning the World Cup would trump this series win. Probably.
Probably? Of course it would... and so would a quarters win, against anyone, no trophies... but to be stuck there for god knows however long and lose loads of them in fantastic blow up style too, would be an absolutely major step for Ireland, even if they lose the semi.

Tell Wales a quarters win means nothing, the Belgium win is probably the biggest sporting event ever in Wales, booming night.

lsd

The Oracle
If the Rugby team won the World Cup them that would be the greatest achievement even though I can't stand the game.

Other than that Harrington would be up there or did Sonia O Sullivan win a gold medal?

I vaguely remember sitting in a hospital watching her race and everyone going nuts

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Probably? Of course it would... and so would a quarters win, against anyone, no trophies... but to be stuck there for god knows however long and lose loads of them in fantastic blow up style too, would be an absolutely major step for Ireland, even if they lose the semi.

Tell Wales a quarters win means nothing, the Belgium win is probably the biggest sporting event ever in Wales, booming night.
Nah. No chance that winning a quarter final would trump this. Rugby’s a weird sport with a handful of teams miles better than the rest. Making top four in a tournament is not a big deal at all. I don’t even think making the final would be an outrageously good achievement for Ireland. They’re currently ranked #1 in the world. This isn’t football.

Zen

Nah. No chance that winning a quarter final would trump this.
I hope your mad stance here doesn't stop you loving it when they do pull through. I mean it'd be even better if it were against NZ too, because you'd stubbornly have to accept it's not greater than a pretty pointless test series to prove an odd point :lol:

We'll re-open this when it happens. Because it will... at some point.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think that it's the moral victory after Henry's goal.