Is Andy Cole the most underrated Utd player of the modern era?

Arka_BleedingRed

Never seen Cole play other than the occasional videos, but in relation to modern strikers, who would you say is similar to his style of play? Maybe Edinson Cavani? Great player, but not world class, superb link up play and movements, creates his own chances and scores, but also misses loads of chances.

Oh well, seems like @Raees has already posted the same thing. Never mind.

Beaucoup

One of the most frustrating players ever to watch live, not fit to lace Ruud’s boots

GazTheLegend

he took a while to settle in, and was a failure for England

I think that's why he isn't rated so highly, but he was quality for us
He was only a failure for England because he wasn’t picked.

Tbh his competition was decent - Wright, Shearer, Sheringham, Ferdinand, Fowler etc... but he probably should have played more than he did.

Pughnichi

Nah we break the record back then to sign him after his impressive scoring record in Newcastle (41 goals in a season), but he never quite managed to repeat near to that when he was in here. We even sold Hughes to accommodate him here, and let him start most of the games, and bench club legend Solskjaer. But he was frustrating to watch in his first few seasons here, squandering chances after chances (I sometimes wonder Cantona might have double his assists numbers if we don't have Cole up front) He did form a formidable partnership with Yorke though, and improve his overall game in later years though, so I think he did alright overall, but he was never quite near the level of best striker in the league in his time here. He is kind of like Lukaku for us - big price tag, but not what we may have expected, but still top goalscorer for us for a few good seasons, but never quite the best striker in the league.

If we rate our main striker/forward generation by generation in past 30 years (Hughes, Cantona, Cole, Yorke, Ruud, Ronaldo, Rooney, Van Persie, Lukaku), then I'm afraid he would be near the last at the pecking order.

Tier 1: Cantona, Ronaldo
Tier 2: Ruud, Rooney
Tier 3: Hughes, Van Persie, Yorke
Tier 4: Cole, Lukaku

I rate Van Persie and Yorke higher than Cole, even though their time here was short and brief, their impact on our success was bigger. To be fair Cole has about 3 really good seasons with us (especially his partnership with Yorke), but he also has about 3 or 4 bad and disappointing seasons here too.
Lukaku tier 4!!

I’d rate Forlan, Berbatov and Sheringham higher than him.

Lukaku is tier 6 in comparison to some of these guys

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Bizarre the see Cole compared to Lukaku. Maybe when Lukaku clinches us titles on the last day, helps send us to Champions League finals, consistently scores against our closest rivals, and compiles a goal collection of deft chips, bicycle kicks, quick combinations, and counter-attacks, then we can go there.

fergies coat

Are people really comparing Cole to Lukaku? Go and watch Cole’s goals compilation on YouTube. Some of you were obviously to young to see him live. He was a far better player than Lukaku it’s not even close.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Are people really comparing Cole to Lukaku? Go and watch Cole’s goals compilation on YouTube. Some of you were obviously to young to see him live. He was a far better player than Lukaku it’s not even close.
Nah, goal compilation only show the best and hide the worst. I've watched the whole of Cole career in United, In his first few seasons (94-97), Cole is actually more frustrating to watch than Lukaku. In latter part of his United career (98-00), especially when he forms formidable partnership with Yorke, he improves alot is better player though.

UpWithRivers

Lets not forget he also formed one of the best partnerships We have ever had with Yorke. In fact I cant think of a better 2 other than Cole and Beardsley. And also we took him from Newcastle! They were rioting in the streets! Happy days

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Would cost 100m in this crazy transfer fee era.

AFC NimbleThumb

my favourite united player, bar none.

have watched his premier league 100 club too many times to mention.

glenn hoddle did the man over with his comments - unprofessional tripe!

such a vicious striker of a ball, fast, strong, technical - just love the guy & honestly feel he will never get his due.

rashford & martial could stand to watch videos of this man on repeat.

fps

A couple of things to say about him, as opposed to RVN. Interesting to note United won one title with RVN. Cole worked better with the team and seemed more fluid in his play, involving others. That side really progressed in his time at United.

Second, Cole worked well in tandem with others, especially Yorke. Ferguson moved to a one-striker approach in Europe as time went on, to compete, and that's been pretty much the norm since. I sometimes wonder whether the return of the traditional front two, or a number 10 behind a striker, is going to be the next big shake-up in football.

Cole missed a lot of chances, but he was there to take them and had the pace to really stretch teams. I don't see how he can possibly be compared with Lukaku, who seems to bring everything to a halt every time he has the ball.

I'm not sure how well Cole would do in this era where centre backs are as sometimes as quick as centre forwards. Given the progress he made as a player I'm sure he could adapt though.

wolvored

I dont know why OP thinks he was overated. He was one of the top strikiers in the Premiership. He also is the 3rd player after Shearer and Rooney with most Premiership goals. He is also part of the treble winning team, scoring the winning goal in the semi final of Ch Lge, at Stadio Delle Alpi. His England record wasnt so good though.

Hoof the ball

Cole could be immensely frustrating at times, but that's where the Lukaku comparisons end. No United fan who is old enough to watch the entirety of Cole's career at United would make technical comparisons with Cole and Lukaku. Cole's linkup play was light years ahead of Romelu. He wouldn't slow a game down; in fact, his quick feet and movement would keep moves going; Lukaku, by comparison halts them.

fergies coat

Nah, goal compilation only show the best and hide the worst. I've watched the whole of Cole career in United, In his first few seasons (94-97), Cole is actually more frustrating to watch than Lukaku. In latter part of his United career (98-00), especially when he forms formidable partnership with Yorke, he improves alot is better player though.
Third highest goal scorer in premier league history. (Without taking penalties) putting Yorke higher than him, and Lukaku on par is laughable.

Bobski

Cole could be immensely frustrating at times, but that's where the Lukaku comparisons end. No United fan who is old enough to watch the entirety of Cole's career at United would make technical comparisons with Cole and Lukaku. Cole's linkup play was light years ahead of Romelu. He wouldn't slow a game down; in fact, his quick feet and movement would keep moves going; Lukaku, by comparison halts them.
This is the key point for me. Goal scoring comparisons only tell so much. Individual comparisons that is, with Cole the team's overall attack worked better, he was unselfish, moved the ball quickly, keeping the tempo up as you indicate, and outside of Cantona he could play with anyone and adapt his game to their strengths and weaknesses. Smart player despite his erratic finishing. Lukaku is levels below Cole, numbers might say otherwise but there is more to being a quality striker than goals. Cole was a better player at Utd scoring 25 than at Newcastle scoring 40. The Cavani comparion is a decent one in terms of their impact and perception if not in a pure style correlation.

RVN was the better player but he was a lot more one dimensional than Cole and ultimately for all their individual exellence that type of player limits the team, forces the others to play to that one player exclusively and brings a certain predictability to the overall style.

Jermain Defoe got 57 caps for England, timing is everything. Good player but not a patch on Cole.

fergies coat

This is the key point for me. Goal scoring comparisons only tell so much. Individual comparisons that is, with Cole the team's overall attack worked better, he was unselfish, moved the ball quickly, keeping the tempo up as you indicate, and outside of Cantona he could play with anyone and adapt his game to their strengths and weaknesses. Smart player despite his erratic finishing. Lukaku is levels below Cole, numbers might say otherwise but there is more to being a quality striker than goals. Cole was a better player at Utd scoring 25 than at Newcastle scoring 40. The Cavani comparion is a decent one in terms of their impact and perception if not in a pure style correlation.

RVN was the better player but he was a lot more one dimensional than Cole and ultimately for all their individual exellence that type of player limits the team, forces the others to play to that one player exclusively and brings a certain predictability to the overall style.
Absolutely spot on. Everybody seems obsessed with stats these days. I’m convinced half the people posting never seen him play live.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Third highest goal scorer in premier league history. (Without taking penalties) putting Yorke higher than him, and Lukaku on par is laughable.
Lukaku scored 113 premier league goals in 207 games (7 full seasons), Cole scored 187 premier league goals in 407 games (14 full Premier league seasons). Yes like it or not its comparable so far, just matter of time.

Last edited:

fergies coat

Lukaku scored 113 premier league goals in 207 games (7 full seasons), Cole scored 187 premier league goals in 407 games (14 full Premier league seasons). Yes its comparable so far, just matter of time.
Have you watched Cole play? It’s night and day. He was a better all round player. No comparison.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Have you watched Cole play? It’s night and day. He was a better all round player. No comparison.
Yes I watched almost all games he played at United. Most frustrating player to watch in his first few years here, with Cantona carrying him. During that period, I think he is comparable to Lukaku, or maybe worst. But improved alot in his later years when he formed formidable partnership with Yorke, but Lukaku only have 2 years here so let's be fair in judgement.

If Lukaka stays in United and keep his "poor" rate, I think he will still break Cole's record.

fergies coat

Yes I watched almost all games he played at United. Most frustrating player to watch in his first few years here, with Cantona carrying him. During that period, I think he is comparable to Lukaku, or maybe worst. But improved alot in his later years when he formed formidable partnership with Yorke, but Lukaku only have 2 years here so let's be fair in judgement.

If Lukaka stays in United and keep his "poor" rate, I think he will still break Cole's record.
He doesn’t score against big sides. and his general play is shocking. That’s never going to change.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Unfortunately I can’t attest to ever watching him as I was 6 when he left us, but his stats are remarkable.

He had 68 goals in 84 appearances at Newcastle. 121 in 275 for Manchester United.

How the feck did he only get 15 caps for England?!
The unbelievable depth England had up front during his prime. Shearer, Owen, Sheringham, Fowler, Wright, Ferdinand to name but a few. Hoddle wasn't a fan of him either, and once famously said "he needs 4 chances to score"

Shearer, Owen & Sheringham were his undisputed top 3. Les Ferdinand & Robbie Fowler never did much at international level either, due to always fighting to be the 4th choice.

Bobski

The vast majority of the criticism around Lukaku is about his all round play and fitness rather than his goal record, other than against the better teams. His goal record is fine but he could be scoring 10 more a season and it still wouldn't change the fact that his technical level is lower than what is needed.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The vast majority of he criticism around Lukaku is about his all round play and fitness rather than his goal record, other than against the better teams. His goal record is fine but he could be scoring 10 more a season and it still wouldn't change the fact that his technical level is lower than what is needed.
Yes but we are also comparing players of different era under different setup. Cole has the luxuries of having best midfielders (Scholes, Keane, Giggs, Beckham) and best creative players (Cantona etc) in the league supporting him throughout his career, Lukaku doesn't have it. I don't buy that suddenly Cole becomes a great player just because he's from the past, has a decent scoring record (187 goals in 407 games, avg 13-14 league goals per seasons), and we were successful back then. I grew up watching alot of frustrating performances from Cole too. He wasn't rated as highly as other strikers (Shearer, Sheringham, Collymore and Les Ferdinand etc) for a reason back then.

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Yes but we are also comparing players of different era under different setup. Cole has the luxuries of having best midfielders (Scholes, Keane, Giggs, Beckham) and best creative players (Cantona etc) in the league supporting him throughout his career, Lukaku doesn't have it. I don't buy that suddenly Cole becomes a great player just because he's from the past, has a good scoring record, and we were successful back then. I grew up watching alot of frustrating performances from Cole too. He wasn't rated as highly as other strikers (Shearer, Sheringham, Collymore and Les Ferdinand etc) for a reason back then.
Cole was not rated as highly as Collymore? Was Collymore highly rated then?

RedNed77

I liked Cole but he wasnt underrated. He is correctly rated, a decent if not amazing striker.

Bobski

Very, the English Ronaldo was the hype. Strong, quick, 2 footed, great strike of a ball, lovely balance, a great talent who needed nurturing, going to the Liverpool spice boy club probably did not help him.

Cole at Newcastle was raved about, it was the height of ABUism though so when he moved to Utd that changed and people were desperate for him to fail.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well not exactly if you look at both over their career, Collymore was more promising and talented but then he did have some off-field problems which hindered his career.

kkengvib

I do think he's underrated, but he's not an all-round player that excels at creating for himself or others. He works best in a system.

I feel parallels could be made between him and Lukaku (struggling to adapt early in Utd career... needing many chances to score... missing some easy chances). The difference is Lukaku doesn't have people around him to create those chances like Cole had with our midfield.

If we are to be a force in the league again, a player like him cannot be someone we rely on mainly for the goals. We need depth and competition. Unfortunately he looks the most reliable finisher in our team at the moment - which is a shame.

SER19

One of the most frustrating players ever to watch live, not fit to lace Ruud’s boots
And in a single post, the thread is validated.

If we had peak Andy Cole up top today ,and all season, we'd be in a totally different position

Tarrou

He was only a failure for England because he wasn’t picked.

Tbh his competition was decent - Wright, Shearer, Sheringham, Ferdinand, Fowler etc... but he probably should have played more than he did.
I'm sure he'd have got picked more if he was scoring for England

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'm sure he'd have got picked more if he was scoring for England
Carrick and Scholes didn't play that much for England. The NT isn't always indication of how good the player is.

Tarrou

Carrick and Scholes didn't play that much for England. The NT isn't always indication of how good the player is.
Yeah I know, the main reason Cole didn't play much was Shearer

but Cole was rubbish when he did play