is anyone else as excited about next season?

Jacko21

You do realise we weren't in the relegation zone last year don't you? I think the boredom that was our games last year sometimes is mistaken for more than what it was. We were far from an inept team, just a toothless one which meant a boring one. We clearly need more work but it is hardly a start from scratch kind of scenario as you make it sound. Even Chelsea don't need as much work as you are suggesting.
Yes, Van Gaal's stagnant, prohibitive tactics didn't help many of the players and several were clearly towing the line for fear of their careers, but you can't honestly believe that this squad man-for-man is anywhere near capable of challenging year in, year out in the Champions League knockout stages.

Mourinho is going to turn this squad over and as I've said it will happen over the course of at least two or three summers.

Theonas

Scout
Yes, Van Gaal's stagnant, prohibitive tactics didn't help many of the players and several were clearly towing the line for fear of their careers, but you can't honestly believe that this squad man-for-man is anywhere near capable of challenging year in, year out in the Champions League knockout stages.

Mourinho is going to turn this squad over and as I've said it will happen over the course of at least two or three summers.
People often underestimate the impact that a really good signing can make. A top attacking player can make more difference than a bunch of defenders or midfielders. As I said before, leave that team the way it was and add someone who can create and score goals on their own without affecting the rest of the team like Bale did for Spurs or Suarez for Liverpool and we would have been champions last year. Obviously we are not getting anyone of that calibre but I am just trying to make the point that often times it is not an overhaul that is needed but merely a team that works well together with a top, top talent up front.

MUM

Excited and expectant of what Jose will bring into the club, new players, new ideas. Looking forward to the reaction of everyone when we beat Liverpool for the first time with Jose in charge.

Jacko21

People often underestimate the impact that a really good signing can make. A top attacking player can make more difference than a bunch of defenders or midfielders. As I said before, leave that team the way it was and add someone who can create and score goals on their own without affecting the rest of the team like Bale did for Spurs or Suarez for Liverpool and we would have been champions last year. Obviously we are not getting anyone of that calibre but I am just trying to make the point that often times it is not an overhaul that is needed but merely a team that works well together with a top, top talent up front.
Sure I get that. I'm not proposing wholesale changes in a short period of time. I'm talking two or three summers - three or four players in each window and potentially the same number out and that would be considered 'turnover'.

But if you look at the strength in depth at Bayern, that's where United need to get too. And at the moment too many players have question marks against their names.

I agree, a better manager would've got more out of this squad. But I'm looking long term and what United need to do to achieve the kind of consistency that Bayern, Barca and Real have achieved in the Champions League.

Last edited:

GJNJ

I haven't been so excited since the optimism of LVG taling charge and di maria..which was then crushed by LVG in the same season.

I didn't like Mourinho in the same way none United fans don't like Keano. He's our @@$# now and I'm optimistic and excited but i won't allow it to crush my soul.

Theonas

Scout
Sure I get that. I'm not proposing wholesale changes in a short period of time. I'm talking two or three summers - three or four players in each window and potentially the same number out and that would be considered 'turnover'.
But what would that be necessary? I mean it might and it might not, we really have no idea how these players will function in a different system? whereas the youngster will fulfil their potential or not? whereas one or two signings will have a significant effect on the rest of the team the way Carrick did on us back in summer 2006. My point is we might end up needing more transfers than what you are suggesting but we might also only need a couple to reach that level.
But if you look at the strength in depth Bayern, that's where United need to get too. And at the moment too many players have question marks against their names.
Bayern do definitely have a strong bench but if you look at Barcelona and Real, I'd hardly call that strength in depth. What they do both have is a very solid reliable 7 or 8 players and an out of this world 3 or 4. Not that different to us really between 2007 and 2009 with Tevez, Ronaldo and Tevez being the outstanding individuals they were, we could afford to be compact and load up the midfield behind them which was mainly constructed of selfless workers.
I agree, a better manager would've got more out of this squad. But I'm looking long term and what United need to do to achieve the kind of consistency that Bayern, Barca and Real have achieved in the Champions League.
As I said earlier, I think people underestimate what it means to have Messi, Neymar, Suarez, Ronaldo, Bale, Müller, Robben and Lewandowski in your ranks. They make everyone around them look better. When you are a midfielder playing behind these guys, people call you "he keeps things tight and allows others to play". When you are playing behind the tier below, you "don't do enough and can't contribute as much as the best". It is my view that the top, top quality in the attacking third can carry with it a lot and transform a team. That is why I feel, even though this is unrealistic, add a top form Bale or Suarez to our team and the impact would be more than half a dozen more defenders and midfielders.

Dominos

If I believe our squad is good enough to win the league by the end of the transfer window, then I'll be really excited.

Von Mistelroum

I'm nowhere near as sure that Zlatan is coming as everyone else seems to be, but if we were to get him and a couple more quality signings then it'll be exciting for sure! Zlatan could genuinely make us contenders, but he'll need at least another class player or two coming in to get us challenging for the title I reckon.

City seem to be intent on bringing in some real class, I think they'll spend buckets and really improve, so I reckon they'll be the team to beat (and I think that, if they can add Aubamayang to their squad, they'll win it), but with Pep on the one side with Auba, Gundogan, Aguero, Silva, KDB and probably another couple of big names, and with Mourinho on the other side with Zlatan (I hope), Martial, De Gea and....erm...whoever else we bring in, it'll be bloody exciting whatever happens!

I reckon that, if we could tempt a couple of big signings ourselves, the Manchester derby will be the biggest domestic fixture in football.

Jacko21

As I said earlier, I think people underestimate what it means to have Messi, Neymar, Suarez, Ronaldo, Bale, Müller, Robben and Lewandowski in your ranks. They make everyone around them look better. When you are a midfielder playing behind these guys, people call you "he keeps things tight and allows others to play". When you are playing behind the tier below, you "don't do enough and can't contribute as much as the best". It is my view that the top, top quality in the attacking third can carry with it a lot and transform a team. That is why I feel, even though this is unrealistic, add a top form Bale or Suarez to our team and the impact would be more than half a dozen more defenders and midfielders.
I don't disagree with you regarding the impact of truly world class players, but is that not where you want to see United get back too? We have one genuinely world class player in our squad - David De Gea. We have some fantastic prospects and Martial is the most exciting player I've seen in a United shirt since Ronaldo. I don't want to stunt the progression of our youth products, but this squad still isn't right. Not only are we paying for rank underinvestment in Ferguson's final season, we're paying for scattergun recruitment during the Moyes and Van Gaal tenures. We have Mata, a £37m player who can't operate in any formation other than 4231.

We can compete next season with three or four additions, but there has to be a clearer direction in our recruitment. And, in Mourinho, we have a manager capable of doing so.

Reactions: Snowjoe

Erictheking7

From the trawler in front of the seagulls.........
I don't think we will be getting more than 4 new signings. However what makes me equally excited, is the thought of LVG's underperforming signings, of which there were quite a few, being released of the philosophy shackles and playing the way they were before we bought them.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
I was pretty excited last year with Schmidfield and all but in retrospect we made sensible signings, not so much exciting ones. (Martial the surprise exception).

This year I'm hoping we go a bit silly.

Distracted Steward

Excited here.

The football hasn't been entertaining--let alone engrossing--for the last three years. That's going to improve.

The team's lacked that ruthless fighting spirit since Ferguson. Mourinho is going to bring that back. It's going to be nice seeing the boys impose themselves on the game and opposition with a sense of purpose.

The league is going to be an open story again. There are the usual powers, but a lot is up in the air.

So much to look forward to.

Theonas

Scout
I don't disagree with you regarding the impact of truly world class players, but is that not where you want to see United get back too? We have one genuinely world class player in our squad - David De Gea. We have some fantastic prospects and Martial is the most exciting player I've seen in a United shirt since Ronaldo. I don't want to stunt the progression of our youth products, but this squad still isn't right. Not only are we paying for rank underinvestment in Ferguson's final season, we're paying for scattergun recruitment during the Moyes and Van Gaal tenures. We have Mata, a £37m player who can't operate in any formation other than 4231.

We can compete next season with three or four additions, but there has to be a clearer direction in our recruitment. And, in Mourinho, we have a manager capable of doing so.
I think you misunderstood me mate. That is exactly where I want Manchester United to be. My point was that for us to get there, it is not a necessarily a question of overhauling the whole team but more significantly, finding a player of the calibre I mentioned. Whereas that's someone who can surprise who we already have like Ronaldo did in 2007 or through a truly top transfer in the mould of Suarez or Bale. In my view, a player like that would make the rest of the team look world class the way the players I mentioned raise the level of their defenders and midfielders. I hope I am making myself understood better this time :)

Jacko21

I think you misunderstood me mate. That is exactly where I want Manchester United to be. My point was that for us to get there, it is not a necessarily a question of overhauling the whole team but more significantly, finding a player of the calibre I mentioned. Whereas that's someone who can surprise who we already have like Ronaldo did in 2007 or through a truly top transfer in the mould of Suarez or Bale. In my view, a player like that would make the rest of the team look world class the way the players I mentioned raise the level of their defenders and midfielders. I hope I am making myself understood better this time :)
We're on the same page. We've already seen the impact Martial has had. Pogba and/or Ibrahimovic would have a transformative impact too. I just think we need to face up to the fact that Mourinho wants to remodel this squad as a whole. Which will include making difficult decisions - á la (potentially) selling Mata. :)

Theonas

Scout
Excited here.

The football hasn't been entertaining--let alone engrossing--for the last three years. That's going to improve.
Entertainment comes either from a manager who is a risk taker or from having world class flair players. Mourinho is not a risk taker like pretty much the majority of managers out there. He can produce exciting football when he has personnel like Robben and Ronaldo or an on top form Hazard. So unless Martial reaches that level next year or we bring in a pacey forwar/winger, not sure we will see much improvement in that department.
The team's lacked that ruthless fighting spirit since Ferguson. Mourinho is going to bring that back. It's going to be nice seeing the boys impose themselves on the game and opposition with a sense of purpose.
That he brings! Mourinho's teams are dogged and hard working with very strong spirit and character. I have no doubt that he will impose that here. If you mean imposing ourselves on the opponent in a footballing sense though, I am not sure that is going to happen unless we are playing mid table teams.
The league is going to be an open story again. There are the usual powers, but a lot is up in the air.

So much to look forward to.
Definitely! Exciting season ahead every way you look at it.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If I believe our squad is good enough to win the league by the end of the transfer window, then I'll be really excited.
I think Zlatan and Bailly is already good enough to have us challenging myself, unless City have a really good window or what have you. Good right winger and a CM as well and I'd have us favourites.

Stu1975

I'm excited for the start of every season.....yes,even the last three.

I mean a summer without Utd,new players and a new manager has been the hope that builds me up over a few months of no PL football but at least I now believe we have the right man in charge and we are finally doing things right.

So yes,looking forward already to the pre-seasons in China and the Coumminty Shield before we really get down to business.....can't wait for the fixtures to be announced and our first game in August......come on Utd!

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool
Next season is probably going to be one of the most interesting seasons in a long time. Will be so hard to predict what will happen.

So many teams have things to be excited about, also all the best managers in the prem.

Can't wait for August!!!

degea_s_fringe

I'm excited for the start every year, 1 exception would have been Moyes' 2nd year..

Distracted Steward

Entertainment comes either from a manager who is a risk taker or from having world class flair players. Mourinho is not a risk taker like pretty much the majority of managers out there. He can produce exciting football when he has personnel like Robben and Ronaldo or an on top form Hazard. So unless Martial reaches that level next year or we bring in a pacey forwar/winger, not sure we will see much improvement in that department...
This is true, but don't underestimate what we've had to endure. Van Gaal ducked the life out of United's play--worse so than Moyes.

No one will ever confuse Mourinho for Ferguson when it comes to the attack. Despite that, I don't see how it could be anything but an improvement on van Gaal. While we won't see play like the 1970s Ajax sides, we won't see so many games with a couple shots on goal. We won't see teams defend comfortably at Old Trafford.

It won't be a return to life and death by the attack but it will be better no doubt!

I can't help but think it will improve, and that excites me.

murphs_law

Yep... And its building and building with drip feeds of good news on a weekly basis.

Just keeps the positive vibe moving along nicely and builds momentum and confidence. Clever business strategy for both on and off the pitch where a football team is concerned.

Already a much more secure professional feel about it all.

Dominos

I think Zlatan and Bailly is already good enough to have us challenging myself, unless City have a really good window or what have you. Good right winger and a CM as well and I'd have us favourites.
I'm not sure, people are forgetting just how bad our attack was last season, and I think it must have a fair amount to do with personnel as much as Van Gaal. Every attacking position (apart from the one Martial is playing) is a giant question mark, I don't think adding a 35 year old who's never played in the PL solves the problem. I accept as a free transfer it's an absolute no brainer that we should sign him, but would it really surprise anyone if he was a let down?

Right winger is an absolute priority to me, we have absolutely no threat there whatsoever.

Walters_19_MuFc

I'm always excited for the season. However, it's even more exciting when a new manager comes in, as you look forward to what they will do with the team, i.e., systems, play style, transfers, etc.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I can't wait myself.
Moyes and LvG just don't inspire me like Mourinho does, especially considering it really feels like Mourinho wanted this job more than any other.

He can attract names to. Zlatan if he comes and Bailly is a good start. Although by signing Bailly I really think that means we go for another defender to.
I think including them two names, another CB, CM and RW will come in.

Hopefully with Shaw back, Depay and Morgan finding form from the season before, they will also feel like new signings

I really can't wait, should be a cracking season all round

ghagua

Been in dreamland ever since LvG got sacked, and it keeps getting better.

Champagne Football

Jose looks more determined than ever for success and appears very eager to rebuild his reputation.....Bailly looks like an inspired signing......Ibra looks like he is on the way.......Jose seems to be doing everything right.......the feel good factor seems to be back at the club for the first time in years....I am seriously looking forward to next season

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
We all love some transfer muppets you but come on......ill be surprised if that amount of new players come in
It's just a hunch I have. I think people are seriously underestimating how many new players Jose could potentially bring in this Summer. He has brought in a raft of players in his first season at both Inter and Chelsea already, my prediction of six new arrivals is really not that far fetched, not all of them would be guaranteed starters either.

It's not that I am against signing players when they are needed as that would be stupid. But it is more sad than exciting when you're having 5 or 6 new faces every summer. I mean if it is necessary, the team starts looking soulless and unrecognisable. Hardly a reason to be excited.
I personally think as many as 6 new additions will be deemed necessary by Jose. Van Gaal really weakened our squad depth last Summer, not to mention we have unreliable players like Jones and Rojo, as well as players Jose may very well not fancy like Blind and Mata. These 4 players could very well be out the door weakening our squad even further. 6 new signings will arrive, count on it!

pacifictheme

3 years ago i was nervously excited about the new season. We'd cruised to the title but hired an unproven manager who played shit football. We won the first game 4-1 and we never reached that peak again.

A year later we had hired a world class manager, off the back of a brilliant world cup. We'd signed Angel di Maria, a real star, and although the squad looked lopsided and some of my favourite players were sold, i was sure we'd improve after a shaky start. I was wrong.

A year ago i was quite pleased with our summer business but felt we were a little light. But i still thought schneiderlin was a great signing and memphis sounded like he'd light old trafford up. What a shambles.

Yeah we've got mourinho and i always look forward to the new season, but after 3 years of shite i'm not any more excited this season. I can't build myself up again just yet. It'll take more than a CB i'd not heard of until 72 hours ago, another aging star we don't know'll be a success and rumours of a CM from valencia, who had an ok season but is all potential and possible mental fragility.

I realise i sound quite negative, but i'm not. I'm just not ready to go full muppet about next season yet.

Plus, its the fecking euros. England are gonna win. Its going to be epic.

Theonas

Scout
I personally think as many as 6 new additions will be deemed necessary by Jose. Van Gaal really weakened our squad depth last Summer, not to mention we have unreliable players like Jones and Rojo, as well as players Jose may very well not fancy like Blind and Mata. These 4 players could very well be out the door weakening our squad even further. 6 new signings will arrive, count on it!
I am not saying he won't do it. He might very well indeed. I think our depth has been hugely exaggerated. People are still judging us on the Sir Alex approach where we pretty much never knew our starting 11. Whereas that is one approach, there are others and if you look around Europe or even at home like the Chelsea team last year, our numbers are more than sufficient. We do lack top quality up front though, that much is the one area I don't think there can be no doubt of. The rest is all dependent on Mourinho and how he wants to set us up. Anyway, that's another subject, my previous post was simply stating that this was nothing to be excited out. A large overhaul of players every year whether it is necessary or not, means the team has absolutely no identity or character, it becomes detached and is hard to identify with it. Not to mention the majority of the successful sides in the recent past have been teams that had a very stable core that grew together with one or two main additions every year. So yes, José might do it and it might be necessary for us but it will be more like a necessary evil than anything else.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
I am not saying he won't do it. He might very well indeed. I think our depth has been hugely exaggerated. People are still judging us on the Sir Alex approach where we pretty much never knew our starting 11. Whereas that is one approach, there are others and if you look around Europe or even at home like the Chelsea team last year, our numbers are more than sufficient. We do lack top quality up front though, that much is the one area I don't think there can be no doubt of. The rest is all dependent on Mourinho and how he wants to set us up. Anyway, that's another subject, my previous post was simply stating that this was nothing to be excited out. A large overhaul of players every year whether it is necessary or not, means the team has absolutely no identity or character, it becomes detached and is hard to identify with it. Not to mention the majority of the successful sides in the recent past have been teams that had a very stable core that grew together with one or two main additions every year. So yes, José might do it and it might be necessary for us but it will be more like a necessary evil than anything else.
Completely understand your viewpoint, and I agree with you. Signing a large amount of players every summer would be ludicrous but this Summer I think Jose will do just that. Hopefully then afterwards we can go back to just tweaking the side every summer with a few key additions.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Until I see he players we bring in especially attackers. I am sick and tired of our lack of quality in attacking areas and think we would struggle regardless of who the manager is.

ReDDHDevilS

Cautiously optimistic!

The Jose we've isn't the same one who won the title a season back and we don't how would his tenure pan out here. He could have his best ever spell yet or his career could be on a downward spiral for all we know.

One thing I know for sure is that Jose has lost some of his fear factor. Managers and teams now won't fear him as much as they used to and I'm not sure how much respect/support he'd get from our players if he's a bad start.

However, things can be totally different if we can hammer some teams early in the season and we could be on to something special.

I'm clinging to the hope that the Jose we're getting is a wounded animal who's coming here with something to prove and he's more determined than ever to do it.

DenisIrwin

Mourinho: possibly fipped his lid while at Chelski. If we can believe the press (I know!) he's ready to let Blind and Mata go while renewing Carrick's contract. That is quite obviously insanity.

Bailly for 30 million euros or whatever. Really? Who? He's raw. Sure he could be good but... what?! We're Manchester United! We have youngsters. Oh yeah. Mourinho doesn't give academy players more than a few minutes here and there. But we will pay 30 million fecking euros for a raw talent?!

Yeah! Not impressed.

Theonas

Scout
Until I see he players we bring in especially attackers. I am sick and tired of our lack of quality in attacking areas and think we would struggle regardless of who the manager is.
Exactly this! If you want a team that is on the level of Barcelona that utterly dominates whoever it comes up against and is pretty much the best of modern times, then sure! It takes a lot; a whole coaching set up working in the same direction, the input of multiple footballing visionaries, a golden generation of players, etc. If you want to be competitive at home in Europe like a "normal" top team, it really is no secret, get top attackers. It is no coincidence that the teams who did well at home lately (Chelsea, Man City, Leicester and to a lesser extent Spurs Liverpool) had a brilliant forward scoring or creating for them. Same in Europe, Real are competitive every year because they have a bloke scoring a ridiculous amount of goals with Bale and Benzema not too shabby. Those players make the rest of the team work. Midfielders and defenders do have an influence but it is nothing compared to the men up front.

Polite Poster

Supports
Manchester City
I'm very excited about next season.

Pep is going to boss the PL

Thanks for asking :D

Theonas

Scout
Mourinho: possibly fipped his lid while at Chelski. If we can believe the press (I know!) he's ready to let Blind and Mata go while renewing Carrick's contract. That is quite obviously insanity.

Bailly for 30 million euros or whatever. Really? Who? He's raw. Sure he could be good but... what?! We're Manchester United! We have youngsters. Oh yeah. Mourinho doesn't give academy players more than a few minutes here and there. But we will pay 30 million fecking euros for a raw talent?!

Yeah! Not impressed.
I can begrudgingly understand selling Mata if he does it, but Blind? It only confirms that prejudice about him that we won't even attempt to play from the back and push high up the pitch. I really hope I am wrong.