Is anyone here actually worried?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
....about Giggs and Scholes retiring?

It's something I have been thinking about tonight and I have come to the conclusion that I am not.

Firstly, I don't want to take anything away from either of them. I don't need to talk about their qualities as we already know them. Unbelieveable player's and unbelieveable professionals.

The general consensus is that we are going to struggle when they retire, Scholes' technical ability and range of passing in the centre and Giggs' creativity from the inside left.

Does anyone here really believe that Ferguson hasn't got it all mapped out?

In all honesty, I think we have replaced Giggs already with Nani and a fit Valencia being our first choice wingers and leaving Giggs out of the equation, we have Park as backup followed by Obertan. We might need to replace him as far as the sqaud goes but for his actual First Team spot I think we've covered it.

Scholes is where we're a little more stuck. Anderson has shone brightly this season and is still very young for a centremid, while Carrick in partnership has once again found his feet. Carrick has obviously come in for a lot of stick over the last 18 months, but I think it's fair to say he's had a good half a season with a the odd poor game and we're a much more stable team and defensive unit with him in the side.

Fletcher has been the most disappointing this season though and his partnerships have been the real problem with him seemingly failing to get any chemistry.

Gibson has been woeful and I have no doubt he'll be shipped out to a midtable side come the summer.

I do however think that while everyone is crying out for creativity and goals from a central midfielder they might be missing the fact that Ferguson hasn't needed one for the past 4 years. He's shifted the duty to the winger who would traditionally be a provider. First Ronaldo and now Nani. Because of this I don't expect us to sign anyone like Modric or Sneijder, I can however see us going for another midfielder who knows how to keep possession and keep the ball moving and in the direction of our explosive attacking outlets.

I refuse to worry that we'll struggle once Scholes and Giggs retire as long as Ferguson is at the helm. He replaced Robson, Cantona, Kanchelskis, Ince, Stam, Beckham and Van Nistelrooy as well as many other stars who were seemingly an integral part of the sqaud.

lysglimt

Scout
Worried ? No

Thinking it will be very sad ? Yes

Worried about Ferguson retiring ? Yes

Giggs is still a quality player - and he will continue another season thank God - Scholes is still quality on his day. But he no longer dominates every match. Some matches I get worried when I see his name on the sheet because he no longer is mobile enough to be efficient against some teams.

Scholes and Neville probably will do a lot more good for United as coaches - because they have soooo much to offer. But Giggs at least has another year in him.

puNANI

The only person I'm worried about retiring is Sir Alex Ferguson. Players come and go and each time he has found a way to replace them either directly or indirectly. Things are going to be so different with him at the helm. He is so ahead of his time and already plans his next teams before his current one has reached its decline. Lets hope that the manager who replaces him uses the same philosophies and doesn't rely on spunking huge amounts of money to keep us at the top.

It will be a very sad day to let Scholes and Giggs go, but many great players have left us and we kept moving forward.

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
No, we have Turncliffe and Pogba doing excellently in the U18's, Ravel Morrison looks promising and then again we have Cleverly who looks ready and also Petrucci who is
back in action for us already ( last reserve match played Zidane's left role in MF )

Pastore would fulfill my needs as a muppet, but we are safe to say that with our up
coming youth, we have many prospect to look forward too, hopefully they will be
the future legends.

Wittmann45

I'm worried about Scholes yes, but not so much Giggs considering he is clearly a robot created in the mid 1980s by SAF and Eric Harrison. Oil change ever 5000 km and we'll be find

Saliph

How is Petrucci doing? Remember hearing a lot about him when he first came here, but it's been quiet since. Turning 19 this summer, any chance at all of him making an appearance for the first team next season?

puNANI

How is Petrucci doing? Remember hearing a lot about him when he first came here, but it's been quiet since. Turning 19 this summer, any chance at all of him making an appearance for the first team next season?
Been injured for a while, but I think he came back this week or last. Played well in his last game.

The Hairdryer

I tend not to worry about superfluous crap like football. My worries and anxieties tend to centre around the health of my family, state of my personal finances etc. I'd love to live such a care free existence where my biggest worry was about a football player retiring.

Nathan

I would say we should not be concerned, everyone has a lifespan and they are both unfortunately reaching the end of a very successful football career. We should be saluting them for there contribution to the success of the club and both of them have been fine examples to younger players coming through the ranks of not only Manchester United but other clubs alike.

p_ps_sock

scholes' influence is steadily declining and I think we've seen what our midfield without him is like for some of this season, there are very few who could replicate his role in the team, Xavi would obviously do it and so could Alonso but there aren't many others off the top of my head with his footballing brain and passing skills, we're simply going to have to find another way to play without him. To replace him in the team I think we're already pretty well covered if Anderson maintains his progress and we've all got high hopes that at least one of Pogba/Morrison/Petrucci will make it and I'd prefer these were given a chance in the first team squad rather than spending big, we may not win any trophies for a couple of seasons if we do but we'll benefit long term.

As for Giggs I don't see why he can't carry on for at least another season and possibly 2, he looks as good as ever this season and I see no reason to buy in when he's still doing a top job for us.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Worried ? No

Thinking it will be very sad ? Yes

Worried about Ferguson retiring ? Yes

Giggs is still a quality player - and he will continue another season thank God - Scholes is still quality on his day. But he no longer dominates every match. Some matches I get worried when I see his name on the sheet because he no longer is mobile enough to be efficient against some teams.

Scholes and Neville probably will do a lot more good for United as coaches - because they have soooo much to offer. But Giggs at least has another year in him.
This, especially worried about Sir Alex retiring, I honestly think that if we don't get Mourinho, we could be in a lot of trouble.

Crustanoid

No, we have Turncliffe and Pogba doing excellently in the U18's, Ravel Morrison looks promising and then again we have Cleverly who looks ready and also Petrucci who is
back in action for us already ( last reserve match played Zidane's left role in MF )

Pastore would fulfill my needs as a muppet, but we are safe to say that with our up
coming youth, we have many prospect to look forward too, hopefully they will be
the future legends.
None of those players are playing any first team football though (except Cleverly but only on loan - not where it matters as part of our team). There is no way they could seamlessly replace Giggs or Scholes when they retire

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
No i'm not worried. We can't run away from the fact it will happen. We will have Sir Alex managing the whole process.

Scholesy

Norwood, Cleverley, Pogba, Tunnicliffe, Morrison, Brady, and the returning Petrucci. I think we are looking excellent in the middle, but left wing, it does not look very good.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Norwood, Cleverley, Pogba, Tunnicliffe, Morrison, Brady, and the returning Petrucci. I think we are looking excellent in the middle, but left wing, it does not look very good.
2 of those have played most of their football on the left.

But, I suppose it's not the strongest area in our youth teams which makes you nearly right for a change.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Why are so many of you listing kids who are barely out of our Academy as a reason we don't need to worry about Giggs and Scholes retiring? We're losing one of them at the end of next season, probably both. Scholes may even hang up his boots this summer.

All of which means the future potential of teenage kids like Petrucci, Pogba, Tunnicliffe and Morrison has got bugger all to do with how badly the departure of Giggs and Scholes will affect the strength of our first team squad.

Oh and Keane is a striker :houllier:

sincher

Well there is an argument that we have enough quality to tide us over until young players come through. In other words, the primary responsibilities fall on Valencia and Anderson but there are others coming through too.

It's not one I'd subscribe to - in particular I still think we could use a natural leftie, and a top-class playmaker in the middle, though both are very hard to get I think.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Just because we haven't had a world class CM for the past few years isn't a reason for us to not want one. We should always be looking to improve our squad and it is obviously our weakest area. If we can top the league with an arguably weak midfield, think what we could do with a great player thrown in there as well.

pauldyson1uk

Worried , No
Sad , Yes.
But there comes a time when , great players just have to hang there boots up and call it a day.
When they both say that it I have had enough , they will of earn't there rest

I'm always right

Worried - no (neither of them would play in our first 11 if everyone was fit)

Sad - VERY (even as squad players they offer so much and have given me so many great memories, I'm so lucky to have been a United fan whilst these two have been on my team)

Giggs will do 1, who knows, maybe even 2 more years as a squad player. I think Scholesy will retire in the summer which will hopefully persuade SAF to enter the market for a new central midfielder to complement the players he already has there.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well there is an argument that we have enough quality to tide us over until young players come through. In other words, the primary responsibilities fall on Valencia and Anderson but there are others coming through too.

It's not one I'd subscribe to - in particular I still think we could use a natural leftie, and a top-class playmaker in the middle, though both are very hard to get I think.
I just think people are getting carried away with our youth team. We'll be lucky if even one or two of those listed become established in our first team and it won't be for another 2 or 3 years before they start playing regularly, probably the same again before they can deliver performances like Scholes and Giggs have produced at their best this season.

For me this season has really highlighted how much we depend on them. I had previously thought Fletcher, Hargreaves, Carrick and Anderson were all the options we needed in midfield for the next few years. However Fletcher's prolonged poor form, Hargreaves perma-crockery, Anderson's continued inconsistency and Carrick's preference to always play second fiddle made me realise how heavily we still rely on Scholes and Giggs for the real class in midfield. Granted, they haven't played as much as in seasons gone by but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they've been integral to all our best performances and absent from all our worst.

Nani's class and I really rate Valencia but there's a bit of a cloud hanging over him and Park is turning 30 next week (which is a worry in someone who has always been injury prone) so we do look light on the wings when Giggs retires. Plus the imminent loss of Scholes and (almost certainly) Hargreaves means we badly need reinforcements in central midfield. Not in two or three years time, either. We need them next summer, at the very latest, ideally before the beginning of next season.

So basically, yes, I am worried about Giggs and Scholes retiring. I'm worried because we need to sign new players to replace them and every signing is a bit of a gamble. If we get it wrong then we could end up lagging behind Arsenal and City for quite some time.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I just think people are getting carried away with our youth team. We'll be lucky if even one or two of those listed become established in our first team and it won't be for another 2 or 3 years before they start playing regularly, probably the same again before they can deliver performances like Scholes and Giggs have produced at their best this season.

For me this season has really highlighted how much we depend on them. I had previously thought Fletcher, Hargreaves, Carrick and Anderson were all the options we needed in midfield for the next few years. However Fletcher's prolonged poor form, Hargreaves perma-crockery, Anderson's continued inconsistency and Carrick's preference to always play second fiddle made me realise how heavily we still rely on Scholes and Giggs for the real class in midfield. Granted, they haven't played as much as in seasons gone by but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they've been integral to all our best performances and absent from all our worst.

Nani's class and I really rate Valencia but there's a bit of a cloud hanging over him and Park is turning 30 next week (which is a worry in someone who has always been injury prone) so we do look light on the wings when Giggs retires. Plus the imminent loss of Scholes and (almost certainly) Hargreaves means we badly need reinforcements in central midfield. Not in two or three years time, either. We need them next summer, at the very latest, ideally before the beginning of next season.

So basically, yes, I am worried about Giggs and Scholes retiring. I'm worried because we need to sign new players to replace them and every signing is a bit of a gamble. If we get it wrong then we could end up lagging behind Arsenal and City for quite some time.

That in essence is the key issue for Utd this summer.

Don't think a club of Utds stature could wait 6 years for their young players to get it right.

sincher

Yes, this summer is important. We need to reinforce at the top level and this is very difficult to do now.

And you're mostly right about the youth players of course. I like many of the players mentioned but naturally enough most if not all of them will not make it for us.

I'm always right

So basically, yes, I am worried about Giggs and Scholes retiring. I'm worried because we need to sign new players to replace them and every signing is a bit of a gamble.
Big Ron disagrees:
It may seem like a lot of money, but it’s not a gamble, you know. You’re not even gambling with someone like him. This fella is solid gold.

sincher

I can't see us 'lagging behind Arsenal or City for quite some time'. That seems highly unlikely, and the biggest worry there by far wouldn't the retirements of Scholes or Giggs but the retirement of SAF. I don't think Arsenal have a better set up than us, and City for all their money haven't shown enough stability as yet.

Inigo Montoya

Yes, this summer is important. We need to reinforce at the top level and this is very difficult to do now.

And you're mostly right about the youth players of course. I like many of the players mentioned but naturally enough most if not all of them will not make it for us.
Hang on a minute! Not all? there's some genuine talent there that will make it but it requires application and professionalism to be added to that talent. But the law of averages as well as the experience at all big clubs tells you that it's a fine blend of youth and clever purchases that bring success.

sincher

Yes, but it could easily happen that none of the six or so players mentioned end up being first team players for United. I have high hopes for two or three of them, and I would think all will have good careers, but the simple odds will have it that most will end up playing elsewhere.

There are others as well, of course, such as Morrison and Welbeck, two of the biggest talents to emerge from the academy in recent years.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
'There may be a time in the next couple of years where we have to stretch ourselves, particularly when Ryan, Paul and Gary retire. Then, it is a possibility we would need to get really top players in to galvanise the younger ones coming through.
I'm not too worried, judging by that I think Fergie is resigned to the fact that he'll probably need to spend big to replace Giggs and Scholes.

Inigo Montoya

Yes, but it could easily happen that none of the six or so players mentioned end up being first team players for United. I have high hopes for two or three of them, and I would think all will have good careers, but the simple odds will have it that most will end up playing elsewhere.

There are others as well, of course, such as Morrison and Welbeck, two of the biggest talents to emerge from the academy in recent years.
In terms of returns those two and Cleverly have great chances and as you say others will move on.

However given our investment in youth it would be an indictment against our youth poilcy if we don't have more progressing.On the other hand given the investment in bringing good foreign youngsters here I'm confident that we'll have a few more coming through.

We don't want to end up like Chelsea witgh 100m spent on a youth academy and only Josh McEachran seemingly progressing.

stubie

Let's enjoy the time they have left with us and worry about it when they do retire. Going by this season I would imagine they will both carry on until 2012 as they still have plenty to give to the team not just in terms of experience but that occasional touch of quality that makes the difference.

datura

Worried - no (neither of them would play in our first 11 if everyone was fit)

Sad - VERY (even as squad players they offer so much and have given me so many great memories, I'm so lucky to have been a United fan whilst these two have been on my team)

Giggs will do 1, who knows, maybe even 2 more years as a squad player. I think Scholesy will retire in the summer which will hopefully persuade SAF to enter the market for a new central midfielder to complement the players he already has there.
They have been first choice in many if the big games, even when mist if the squad are fit. I think you are doing them a but if a disservice. Scholes has been our best midfielder and Giggs has gas a very good season also. They will be a huge miss, their quality and experience will be exceptionally hard to replace.

I'm always right

They have been first choice in many if the big games, even when mist if the squad are fit. I think you are doing them a but if a disservice. Scholes has been our best midfielder and Giggs has gas a very good season also. They will be a huge miss, their quality and experience will be exceptionally hard to replace.
Scholes hasn't been our best midfielder, that's so far off.

Giggs has had a very good season, but he only got back in due to Valencia being injured and Park going away.

That isn't a "disservice", it's just the truth.

The part in bold goes without saying.