Is anyone here actually worried?

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
None of those players are playing any first team football though (except Cleverly but only on loan - not where it matters as part of our team). There is no way they could seamlessly replace Giggs or Scholes when they retire
Giggsy and Scholes will retire in 3 years from how they are playing.

Its not like they decided to quit yet and Giggsy's Yoga looks to be working wonders for him.

Have we ever failed to replace a player ? Cantona ? Possibly one of the best legends we've ever had was replaced by Becks ? Who was bloody good until he fell out so we replaced golden balls with CR7 ? CR7 made 80m for us... etc..

We actually have a manager who understands how we should play and has that mentality to make the players believe they can win... United spirit, and mentality have been overlooked, our team work has been superb...

Just 2 players isn't my concern.

I'd be concerned about bringing in a new manager, a manager who will keep this winning mentality and playing this type of football which is bloody attractive ! :keano:

kietotheworld

Yes, I am worried, not so much for the wings in Giggs's case, but for the middle. Scholes and Giggs are our only two midfielders who have a bit of creativity, players who can help us dominate against poorer sides (contrast the first half and second half against Wolves) without having 3 in the middle. Without them we are relying on Carrick and Fletcher, who have formed a truly dreadful partnership this season, and the horribly inconsistent Anderson, it's not exactly something to fill you with confidence. Even if you believe that is good enough, it still leaves us with almost no depth with the exception of youth players, most of whom won't make it. We definitely need to buy players in that area.

datura

Scholes hasn't been our best midfielder, that's so far off.

Giggs has had a very good season, but he only got back in due to Valencia being injured and Park going away.

That isn't a "disservice", it's just the truth.

The part in bold goes without saying.
Who do you think has been our best midfielder then? Carrick, Fletcher and Anderson have in general been disappointing.

It's 'your' truth, which many would not agree with.

I'm always right

Who do you think has been our best midfielder then? Carrick, Fletcher and Anderson have in general been disappointing.

It's 'your' truth, which many would not agree with.
Anderson has been disappointing? I thought the general consensus was that we're shite when he doesn't play?

The part about Giggs is the truth yes?

For me Carrick has been our best, followed by Anderson and then Scholes.

datura

Anderson has been disappointing? I thought the general consensus was that were shite when he doesn't play?

The part about Giggs is the truth yes?

For me Carrick has been our best, followed by Anderson and then Scholes.
If you think Carrick and Anderson have been better then Scholes this season, it's pretty obvious that we view the game very differently.

Giggs has been played in big games when all have been fit and gives us a natural balance on the left, he's hardly a squad player, especially in his form this season.

I'm always right

If you think Carrick and Anderson have been better then Scholes this season, it's pretty obvious that we view the game very differently.

Giggs has been played in big games when all have been fit and gives us a natural balance on the left, he's hardly a squad player, especially in his form this season.
Strange argument this one. Park was the main man until the Asia Cup, I don't see what's to debate.

We definitely view the game differently as far as Scholes is concerned. I love the ginger but claiming he's been our best midfielder this year is bizarre to say the least.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
We need a box office midfielder, that much is clear. Fergie has played it well so far, and managed to get performances out of Giggs and Scholes that I don't think any of us would have thought possible 3 or 4 years ago. But he must realise now is the time to act.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Strange argument this one. Park was the main man until the Asia Cup, I don't see what's to debate.

We definitely view the game differently as far as Scholes is concerned. I love the ginger but claiming he's been our best midfielder this year is bizarre to say the least.
At his best this season, Scholes has put in performances in central midfield that none of the rest of them have even come close to. He remains the only central midfielder that can really dictate the tempo of a game and orchestrate the whole team around him. Which is what we'll miss when he's gone.

At his best, Carrick has been great at stifling the opposition threat and Anderson has been great at driving forward and looking to create. Neither of them have managed an all-round central midfield performance as good as some of the displays Scholes has produced this season.

I'm always right

At his best this season, Scholes has put in performances in central midfield that none of the rest of them have even come close to. He remains the only central midfielder that can really dictate the tempo of a game and orchestrate the whole team around him. Which is what we'll miss when he's gone.
Can't disagree with this. BUt he's not been "at his best" too often, hence why I can't believe any would claim he's been our best midfielder.

The only "good" thing that may come out of his retirement is that it may force SAF to sign a midfielder who can produce the games you spoke of above on a more frequent basis.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Can't disagree with this. BUt he's not been "at his best" too often, hence why I can't believe any would claim he's been our best midfielder.

The only "good" thing that may come out of his retirement is that it may force SAF to sign a midfielder who can produce the games you spoke of above on a more frequent basis.
Yes, I think that's fair. Our "best midfielder this season" would have to be someone who has delivered more often than Scholes but I also think Scholes remains our "best midfielder". If that makes any sense at all?!?

misterredmist

I have never been worried about any great player retiring from United -
just worried that we have yet to have adequate replacements -

big summer transfer windo coming up for us........

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
As wonderful as Giggs is, and as much as he is somehow still offering, I think his situation is a bit less of a problem than the Scholes issue.

We're covered on the wings for now and the future, but we're going to have to go into next season (or whenever we decide to address the situation) very carefully in regards to centre midfield. There's still a possibility that none of our youngsters will develop enough to secure a first XI place and, if this situation arises, we will need to sign either a) a fairly experienced midfielder who will fill the gap until one of our youngsters progresses sufficiently or b) go all out and sign the fecker ('the fecker' being whoever's name appears most in the transfer forum in the respective summer).

The problem with a) is that it seems a bit of a difficult and pointless signing. We've already got established midfielders (Carrick, Fletcher) though they're both, in the grand scheme of things, playing well beneath what they are capable of. But who could you get that is better than these two, more experienced, for any less money than you would pay for a signing like that of b)?

Difficult stuff. Personally, I think Morrison will be good enough to play in the first XI very soon, though this is very different from playing in the first XI and contributing something more than what Carrick and Fletcher have done (especially if they return to form).

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
As wonderful as Giggs is, and as much as he is somehow still offering, I think his situation is a bit less of a problem than the Scholes issue.

We're covered on the wings for now and the future, but we're going to have to go into next season (or whenever we decide to address the situation) very carefully in regards to centre midfield. There's still a possibility that none of our youngsters will develop enough to secure a first XI place and, if this situation arises, we will need to sign either a) a fairly experienced midfielder who will fill the gap until one of our youngsters progresses sufficiently or b) go all out and sign the fecker ('the fecker' being whoever's name appears most in the transfer forum in the respective summer).

The problem with a) is that it seems a bit of a difficult and pointless signing. We've already got established midfielders (Carrick, Fletcher) though they're both, in the grand scheme of things, playing well beneath what they are capable of. But who could you get that is better than these two, more experienced, for any less money than you would pay for a signing like that of b)?

Difficult stuff. Personally, I think Morrison will be good enough to play in the first XI very soon, though this is very different from playing in the first XI and contributing something more than what Carrick and Fletcher have done (especially if they return to form).
That's a little confusing. He'll be good enough but that's different to playing and contributing more than Carrick and Fletch???

He's a much more attack minded player than those mentioned....

Sorry....... lost

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I think we can be certain Fergie won't make the same mistakes as before.

Anyone got the registration plates starting RG11 or PS18? Keep hold of them!
Always hard to replace world class players especially if they've been consistently good to great for such a period.

One can only put one's faith in SAF's decision making. In over 20 years we can firmly say that he's got it right more often than wrong

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
That's a little confusing. He'll be good enough but that's different to playing and contributing more than Carrick and Fletch???

He's a much more attack minded player than those mentioned....

Sorry....... lost
What I was saying is that he might be good enough to feature in certain games - for example, he may get the amount of game time that Gibson gets currently.

That's obviously a lot different to being relied on in the sense that Carrick and Fletcher are.

Sylar

Giggs has extended for another year. I think they will both be going until they are both 50 so we dont have to worry at all...

but joking aside, Im more worried when Ferguson leaves tbh. As great as Giggsy and Scholes have been for our continued success, we have had other great players also come and go. The one constant in all that was ferguson (our other continued period of success was before my time)

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
They're giving us time to adjust. We're seeing less of them. New players are being given time to adapt and grow. Giggs has already signed for another year, we don't yet know about Scholes but barring injury I think he'll play on as well.

It'll be a loss when they go. But, worried? No. Big red bus rolls on.

Devil may care

Not worried as I expect Fergie has a plan in place, the only thing I disagree with is the notion Giggs wont need replacing, over the last few weeks with Nani and Giggs in tandem we have seen how vital a top class playmaking winger on both sides is when your central midfield has no creativity.

TheReligion

Abusive
I hope we finally break this policy of only signing young players and bring in someone like Wesley Sneijder.

RedRover

....about Giggs and Scholes retiring?

It's something I have been thinking about tonight and I have come to the conclusion that I am not.

Firstly, I don't want to take anything away from either of them. I don't need to talk about their qualities as we already know them. Unbelieveable player's and unbelieveable professionals.

The general consensus is that we are going to struggle when they retire, Scholes' technical ability and range of passing in the centre and Giggs' creativity from the inside left.

Does anyone here really believe that Ferguson hasn't got it all mapped out?

In all honesty, I think we have replaced Giggs already with Nani and a fit 30Valencia being our first choice wingers and leaving Giggs out of the equation, we have Park as backup followed by Obertan. We might need to replace him as far as the sqaud goes but for his actual First Team spot I think we've covered it.

Scholes is where we're a little more stuck. Anderson has shone brightly this season and is still very young for a centremid, while Carrick in partnership has once again found his feet. Carrick has obviously come in for a lot of stick over the last 18 months, but I think it's fair to say he's had a good half a season with a the odd poor game and we're a much more stable team and defensive unit with him in the side.

Fletcher has been the most disappointing this season though and his partnerships have been the real problem with him seemingly failing to get any chemistry.

Gibson has been woeful and I have no doubt he'll be shipped out to a midtable side come the summer.

I do however think that while everyone is crying out for creativity and goals from a central midfielder they might be missing the fact that Ferguson hasn't needed one for the past 4 years. He's shifted the duty to the winger who would traditionally be a provider. First Ronaldo and now Nani. Because of this I don't expect us to sign anyone like Modric or Sneijder, I can however see us going for another midfielder who knows how to keep possession and keep the ball moving and in the direction of our explosive attacking outlets.

I refuse to worry that we'll struggle once Scholes and Giggs retire as long as Ferguson is at the helm. He replaced Robson, Cantona, Kanchelskis, Ince, Stam, Beckham and Van Nistelrooy as well as many other stars who were seemingly an integral part of the sqaud.
You would be mad not to be concerned about losing top players like Giggs and Scholes. Both have not only been magnificent servants for the club but have been two of the very best players produced in britain over the last 30 years and are certainly two of the best in the PL era. To see them retire will be a sad day for all United fans, and probably a lot of football fans in general.

Players retire and move on, thats part of football, but the concern is whether these players can be replaced with players of sufficient quality.

The fact that the richest club in the country is relying on two players in their mid thirties highlights the problem - it seems their aren't any players at the club capable of filling the huge gap they'll leave.

Anyone watching United can see that we lack quality in midfield at times. My opinion, for what its worth is that we lack a creative player and have done for a while. Scholes no longer has the ability to dictate a game every time he steps onto the pitch and thats what we lack. Especially away from home, we seem to let poorer sides have too much of the ball for long periods - i.e. Wolves, Blackpool and WBA to name a few.

Fergie has always done a great job in replacing players and evolving the team, but the question is whether he can bring in the players he wants under the current regime. Its simple fact that in general top players cost a lot of money.

Will project players like Bebe fill the void? Probably not, at least in the short term, and its doubtful whether Anderson and Fletcher are the answer either.

With other clubs like Chelsea, City, Liverpool and maybe Arsenal spending in the summer, its something which needs to be addressed if United want to maintain their place at the top.

RedRover

I think we can be certain Fergie won't make the same mistakes as before.Anyone got the registration plates starting RG11 or PS18? Keep hold of them!
Lets hope not. Had VDS been signed when he wnet to Fulham we may have had even more trophies in the cabinet. A good keeper can be worth at least 8 to 10 points a season.

lysglimt

Scout
Why are so many of you listing kids who are barely out of our Academy as a reason we don't need to worry about Giggs and Scholes retiring? We're losing one of them at the end of next season, probably both. Scholes may even hang up his boots this summer.

All of which means the future potential of teenage kids like Petrucci, Pogba, Tunnicliffe and Morrison has got bugger all to do with how badly the departure of Giggs and Scholes will affect the strength of our first team squad.

Oh and Keane is a striker :houllier:
Using these kids as a reason for not worrying about Scholes and Giggs retiring I don't agree with. But looking at the number of matches Scholes has played this season - why would we worry ? It's not like we have done too poorly. And Giggs ? Well - he is luckily just one player