Is anyone watching less footy because of the crowd situation?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
At first I found the lack of crowds a bit eerie, then I grew to ignore it while every game was consequential and I'd assumed it would only last to the end of last season.

I've only watched one United game this season and the lack of atmosphere is definitely a big part of that for me. I'm wondering whether anyone else has felt that gradual decline in commitment?

I'd be keen to hear what any season ticket holders are feeling now too. Switching over to full time TV must feel a bit weird!

Castia

I’m watching more with every game being on TV.

I do have to watch with the fake fan noise though it’s a bit dull without it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If anything I'm watching more because of the way the PL games have been staggered across the weekend.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I’m watching more with every game being on TV.

I do have to watch with the fake fan noise though it’s a bit dull without it.
Yep same for me. in local lockdown I have chosen not to go to the pub at the moment so watching lots at home now.

K Stand Knut

I probably watch the same amount.

All United games bar a massive issue when I’m in work plus the occasional ‘other game’ depending on what’s on.

I just block out the crowd noise but quite like as a background distraction.

Ive said in another thread that i won’t set foot in OT until it is near to full capacity again but doubt I’ll watch more, or less, footy as a result

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
I follow Manchester United and AIK in the same way i have always done, not missed (and i mean it) in over 20 years - missed MAX 10-20 live but saw then later the say day and done everything to avoid getting the results spoild.

But yes, before the pandemic, i could watch like Genoa - Spal a Thursday night just because i love football, but now, maybe 1 out of 4 games (besides United and AIK) that i probably have seen with public.

Reactions: jojojo

Shiva87

I'm probably watching more given I'm more at home. But the viewing experience definitely is different. It's not as enjoyable to watch, and actual fan noises (not the fake ones) do make you feel connected to the context of the game. (The collective sighs and celebrations etc.)

kiristao

I probably would have watched lesser but considering there is nothing else to do, I am watching much more than I have before.

Chief123

At first I found the lack of crowds a bit eerie, then I grew to ignore it while every game was consequential and I'd assumed it would only last to the end of last season.

I've only watched one United game this season and the lack of atmosphere is definitely a big part of that for me. I'm wondering whether anyone else has felt that gradual decline in commitment?

I'd be keen to hear what any season ticket holders are feeling now too. Switching over to full time TV must feel a bit weird!
I’ve watched every minute of Utd and most of the other prem games too. The artificial crowd noise on the tv makes up for the no crowds.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I have to say the games do seem to have a preseason feel about them. I try not to miss any games and before would try to arrange my social life around them but not anymore. My Mrs seems happier though. I wonder how long that's going to last when football gets back into full flow.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I honestly don't care.

yes the fans add something different but it's not that important to me. I think anybody who watches/plays football at a basic level will probably feel the same.

if you like fooball then you'll watch it, if you just like the social side then probably not.

Maureen-yo

Are all the games going to be televised in October too seeing as fans still aren’t allowed to attend?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I have watched every Chelsea game this season.

I tend to tune into United games or other games involving the top 6 if I find out they're losing or drawing with 20 mins left.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I watch more just because there seems to be more on, but with a serious lack of interest this year, must be a mixture of me getting older and less bothered by football and results, the no crowds, not being able to go to the match yourself, the joke VAR, the joke handballs. I’ve just lost invested interest

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I'm quite surprised at how much my interest in the game is still quite strong despite these Covid crowdless times.

I was quite pessimistic before a ball was kicked last season saying bringing the game back would be practically pointless.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I honestly don't care.

yes the fans add something different but it's not that important to me. I think anybody who watches/plays football at a basic level will probably feel the same.

if you like fooball then you'll watch it, if you just like the social side then probably not.
I disagree it's only the social side, I think the lack of crowd has a direct effect on the game: less pressure on refs, less intensity in certain moments of the game where you'd expect the fabled 12th man to push a team on...

It's not quite pre-season/friendly games, but I'm just not enjoying football as much these days, because of the context for sure but also because of what I'm seeing on the field.

So yeah, I'm watching a lot less games than before.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Watching as many but enjoying them much less.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Far more games on TV now. Watch with fake noise, it’s got very realistic and you barely notice.
I know a lot of people complained about the fake noise at first, but I can't watch a game without it. The lie helps me stay somewhat engaged with the game.

shaky

It's not made a difference to me. I'm not happy that the default tv coverage adds the crowd noise though. Seems dumb that one person is getting to add their own personal choice of narrative to the match, deciding when to push the "annoyed at the ref roar" button and the "boo player" button whenever they feel like it, even though none of these things are actually happening.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
One thing I have noticed is that I am far less devastated watching us lose on TV than I am being at the game :lol:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I disagree it's only the social side, I think the lack of crowd has a direct effect on the game: less pressure on refs, less intensity in certain moments of the game where you'd expect the fabled 12th man to push a team on...

It's not quite pre-season/friendly games, but I'm just not enjoying football as much these days, because of the context for sure but also because of what I'm seeing on the field.

This is what I think, the fake noise is confusing fans thoughts I think. yeah it’s ok for their ears for that normality but the players are running around a dead stadium. There’s just a massive disconnect

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Pretty much only Utd games and then big ones like Chelsea v Pool, the CL final etc. - even then I don't bother with some of those if there's something else to do (Pool vs Arse) whereas before I'd have gone out of my way to watch them.

Not sure that's just due to the lack of crowds or maybe giving less of a shit about football as a whole these days, though. I was definitely already watching less pre-Covid than I used to.

Hopefully when the crowds do return they get rid of the stupid fecking 3pm rule though as it's nice being able to watch any game you want.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

I agree those things are different, but it doesn't make me enjoy the game any less personally. Take the Brighton match for example, I didn't feel any less pissed off when we conceded in the 94th, and I didn't feel less ecstatic when we got the 95th penalty and winner. I went through the same usual range of emotions I usually would.

I can see why people feel like it's less "authentic" but I guess football to me is the same whether it's the premier league or watching kids football down the local park etc.

Sylar

Watch maybe more. But at same time that could be because more are showing / staggered. For example, on nearly every day of this week has had a game (except prob Friday). And then Saturday is about 4 games and another 2 on Sunday which ill probably watch 5/6 if not all 6.

I do however miss the feeling of knowing that ill be going to a game soon. I dont go to as many as i used to since getting a house but thats where being a One United member vs ST was an advantage.

It hasn't made much difference to me, i watch all our games, a lot of Inter games, and the occasional one from other teams. The reduced atmosphere from the crowd is made up for by being able to hear how to players communicate.

El Zoido

I watch all the United games, of course. But I’m feeling less engaged in the sport like this, it really lacks something. Sure you can enjoy it from a football purist perspective, watching for tactics, etc. But it’s not the same, I said it in another thread but it feels like a reanimated corpse, it just feels off. I can’t really quantify it. I still enjoy watching us win, but feel slightly less bothered when we lose compared to before. Feels like a bit of a different sport tbh.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
As many have alluded too, the availability of more games means I’m watching far more than usual. I’m also one of the ones who doesn’t mind the fake noise either. Yes it’d be far better with the crowds, the real passion and excitement and anticipation around the big games, but as a football fan it’s never going to deter me to such a degree that I’ll quit watching.

AlwaysTheKop

Supports
Liverpool
I’m watching more than I have in years! I guess partly because I’m not back at work yet, but I’ve taken a much deeper interest in the whole league this year. Recent years I only really had time to keep up with Liverpool games and just check results of others, but I’m now watching most other games and as was the case when I was younger and in school/college, getting an understanding of all other teams players, managers and styles of play.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I actually seem to be enjoying it more compared to pre Covid but I think it's more cherishing it being back than the crowd thing (that and the fact I spend more time at home than before).

One of the concerns raised with BCD footy is that players will go through the motions and the games will be shit, safe to say that hasn't been the case, looks like it's taken the shackles off a lot of players.

Judas

Open to offers
More, the quality isn't as good, but there's been plenty of entertainment. Got more time to watch it too, pretty thankful we've got it as a distraction to be honest.

vodrake

Been watching a lot more with the increase in televised matches and more time at home, barely notice the lack of crowd anymore