Is Berbatov the new Veron ?

Name Changed

weso26
It is too early to be judging Berbatov. He has not performed as well as he should or as he is capable of. It is still early. If it does click with him in the team then we will be fantastic going forward.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
We supporters have been proved over hastey time and tiem again when it comes to judging players, and it seems only reasonably barring a Taibi or George Weah's cousin type moment, to afford him some time [and to be present with some rewards for doing so].

However, i do believe that in our efforts to establish him in the side we have gone too far one way, some opposition simply doesn't suit his starting., although we have ignored this in favour of the player.

It may quicken his bedding in and we'll see the benefits alter on in the season, but prior to there have been mistakes made i would say.

MUFC07

I can't remember who was the one who said after a CL game that one of the reason Fergie brought him was to avoid the repeat of the 99-00 season fail to win the CL again as the teams knew what we were playing, and this time he wanted ot change it.

I also think he will be a lot better than he is now, and I think he hasn't been bad.

Hopefully you are wrong on him being the new Veron.

kiddaa

Berbatov will perform, if he had been more clinical infront of goal , he wud have around 10 goals by now, and this thread wudn't have existed. Its too early to call. Last Season berba scored 8 goals prior to christmas, and then ended up scoring 20 in the rest. I guess he is a slow starter. Yet scored 28 goals despite seeming uninterested.

Anduin

Berbatov will perform, if he had been more clinical infront of goal , he wud have around 10 goals by now, and this thread wudn't have existed. Its too early to call. Last Season berba scored 8 goals prior to christmas, and then ended up scoring 20 in the rest. I guess he is a slow starter. Yet scored 28 goals despite seeming uninterested.
He scored 23 goals for Spurs last season. But I agree, his form improved dramatically after Christmas, probably because he stopped sulking after his attempts to move on in summer 2007 in the end failed.
So far he has contributed six goals and five assists in 15 games. This looks good on paper, but personally I expected a bit more than only two league goals against West Brom and Stoke. I guess he will need some more time, we will see all of his potential come the closing third of the season.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I really wish people would just give him time.
30m players don't get that much time, and rightly so. A fairly instant impact is one of the things that you pay for, especially if that player is experienced and was purchased from the same division. Same reason why Keane is rightly coming in for some criticism over at Anfield.

Will Berbatov get better for United? Yes, we should certainly hope so.

Is it too early to judge him on what has been produced thus far? Not in my opinion.

As for the Veron comparison, the similarities are too numerous for it not to be mentioned from time to time.

Crerand Legend

Brebatov has already shown in the EPL with Spurs that he can hack it here,Veron had not and it was not too long before we realised he never would.Berbatov is doing well but will get better

Dodd

When Veron came we had a winning midfield but had to change it somehow to accommodate him.

Well, Ronaldo is being used out there in a more traditional wing role, something that he is not accustomed to or he's not that good at that role. I consider Nani to be a much better winger than him.

If you were to tell me at the start of the campaign that SAF would play Ronaldo, a player who scored near 70 goals in 2 years, by far our most hungry for goals player, to a role that he hadn't played much in 2 years, I'd say you were mad.

Also, theory of mine here, this increase of frustration by Ronaldo, could be because of the role he's being asked to play.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Well, Ronaldo is being used out there in a more traditional wing role, something that he is not accustomed to or he's not that good at that role. I consider Nani to be a much better winger than him.

If you were to tell me at the start of the campaign that SAF would play Ronaldo, a player who scored near 70 goals in 2 years, by far our most hungry for goals player, to a role that he hadn't played much in 2 years, I'd say you were mad.

Also, theory of mine here, this increase of frustration by Ronaldo, could be because of the role he's being asked to play.
Ronaldo played as a winger in 06/07 and this is widely regarded as his best season with us.

The reason Ronaldo might be a bit more frustrated could just be because a)he's not playing as well yet b)he's getting seriously fouled more and c)he's been injured more this season than at any point in the last two seasons.

ThatOldRedMagic

Berbatov is clearly overjoyed to be a United player. He is a very good player. Some on here appear to be unhappy.

Ronaldo is often criticised on here for being less than entirely overjoyed to be a United player. He is an even better player. But many here appear unhappy.

I've said it before. Too many United fans are spoilt brats.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Berbatov is clearly overjoyed to be a United player. He is a very good player. Some on here appear to be unhappy.

Ronaldo is often criticised on here for being less than entirely overjoyed to be a United player. He is an even better player. But many here appear unhappy.

I've said it before. Too many United fans are spoilt brats.
Spot on

Legend16

I dont thing berbatov has been good enough or shown enough yet. we are still lacking a striker that will score regularly. no problem last season when you had ronaldo on 40 but i cant see that happening every year. i think tevez is a class act and would show that given a decent run. he was top man in a lot of crucial games last season. I have a feeling the tevez fee may not be paid if someone like benzema becomes available for near the same money and while that would be sad I think the team needs a benzema more than aything. but on berbatov I still think he has questions to answer despite some great moments of skill

December_16

At the end of this season, quite many on this thread will have to eat their pies, not much different from Vidic's, Evra's or Park's time. And to give it until the end of the season, I feel a little too generous already. That's how confident I am about Berbatov coming good.

Legend16

At the end of this season, quite many on this thread will have to eat their pies, not much different from Vidic's, Evra's or Park's time. And to give it until the end of the season, I feel a little too generous already. That's how confident I am about Berbatov coming good.
I sincerely hope you're right. I'm not condemning the lad or his ability. I think he has the potential to be great. but I dont think we've seen it yet and I think after the amount of games he's played its ok to analyse what he's contributed so far

quiet_united

Vietnamese Red
Notice I haven't make any judgement on him or his performance yet, it's early days I know and he already showed us his geniuses at times, however I do believe his playing style will not change, he won't run much more than he does now and his pace won't get any better. So I think it's more of a case United adapt our game to get the best our of him not the other way around.

I do notice him and Veron are very similar buys from SAF for the reason stated earlier, but the outcome might be different. I really hope that.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
It's still too early for all this, give Berba a chance.

Veron was lazy and people are saying Berbatov is as well (it's so much more exaggerated by his body language, even when he's not supposed to be doing anything!), but Veron was a midfielder and made errors from being too lethargic and cost us (M'Boro spring to mind), Berbatov plays in a completely different position.

I see the point being made here, but not only did Berbatov do well in this league with Tottenham, he's got time on his side to really come good. I think he will, I've seen enough to suggest he can.

Ekeke

It's still too early for all this, give Berba a chance.

Veron was lazy and people are saying Berbatov is as well (it's so much more exaggerated by his body language, even when he's not supposed to be doing anything!), but Veron was a midfielder and made errors from being too lethargic and cost us (M'Boro spring to mind), Berbatov plays in a completely different position.
Completely might be going over the top. He has played in deeper positions than Lampard or Gerrard this season... And he has the same 2 league goals and 6 assists that Mikel Arteta has... To be really honest, if you went up to Berbatov and said to him "Berbatov, play in midfield" I dont think we'd see any change in the way he played in the league...

I see the point being made here, but not only did Berbatov do well in this league with Tottenham, he's got time on his side to really come good. I think he will, I've seen enough to suggest he can.
What I will point out though is last year with Spurs he had 2 league goals in 12 starts same as with us. Course there were threads on here saying he's having a strop and not playing well because he doesnt want to be at the club. Might just be he takes time to get going instead... He ended the season having scored 15 league goals. Frankly from this point that sounds a very nice return, so lets hope he can repeat that.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Agreed Ekeke. I think that if he is going to be judged on goals alone, he'll always be under the magnifying glass. Like Rooney really. I'm not saying his performances have been up to scratch so far, but him dropping deep to create for other isn't that much of a bad thing if the team is winning. I still think there's an overreaction here, because he'll come good. But it's up to Fergie to make sure he's an out and out striker, to be fair.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
So how many league goals do we think he'll end up with this season?
Doesn't bother me in the slightest. If he scores no more goals, but is a big contributor to a successful season, then he'll have done enough.

Sylar

:lol: Not even half a season and hes had no pre-season or actual matches before joining us.

Still a decent record for us even if some of his goals have come against lower teams.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
:lol: Not even half a season and hes had no pre-season or actual matches before joining us.

Still a decent record for us even if some of his goals have come against lower teams.
It isn't about the goals for me, and that shouldn't be the deciding factor on whether a player has been a success.

My issue with his arrival is whether it has improved our team. At the moment I don't believe that it has. We've lost fluidity and our movement is not as cut-and-thrust as it was last season. In addition, Ronaldo has (IMO) had his role in the team tweaked slightly, so far to the detriment of the team.

Of course, these are Ferguson's decisions and he should be accountable for them. He is obviously a genius and in time our team may adapt and be even better than before. Time will tell.

My beef with Berbatov directly is that he is a lazy fecker and his temperament is very, very questionable. Having to rely on him getting his shit together to improve this team makes me uncomfortable.

Sylar

Again, I only think we can judge whether he improved the team or not over a longer period of time. Rooney has benefited due to Berbatov, unfortunately Tevez hasnt.

I think one problem is that we are relying a bit too much on berbatov now, in that hes starting every game. Id like to see situations where hes rested and Tevez and Rooney are started up front.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
It isn't about the goals for me, and that shouldn't be the deciding factor on whether a player has been a success.

My issue with his arrival is whether it has improved our team. At the moment I don't believe that it has. We've lost fluidity and our movement is not as cut-and-thrust as it was last season. In addition, Ronaldo has (IMO) had his role in the team tweaked slightly, so far to the detriment of the team.

Of course, these are Ferguson's decisions and he should be accountable for them. He is obviously a genius and in time our team may adapt and be even better than before. Time will tell.

My beef with Berbatov directly is that he is a lazy fecker and his temperament is very, very questionable. Having to rely on him getting his shit together to improve this team makes me uncomfortable.
A pretty fair summary of where we stand as a team half a season in i think, and it recognises that we can't blame Berbatov for simply beign picked as often as he has been.

We have seen flashes of an improved worth ethic on occasion, however as much as the rest of the squad has to adapt to him Berba will have to do likewise. And we can hope that a coaching staff like ours will find a way to make him better still as a player.

To be content with Berbatov as he is currently [as some are], both underrates this club and its requirements and underestimates a player with great ambitions.

GusHiddink

Alex Ferguson will not win another champions leagu
In the berbatov thread trying to push the deal thr
Both cost us a lot, both are incredibly talented, and can produce moments of genius no doubt about that. But both are lazy feckers. When Veron came we had a winning midfield but had to change it somehow to accommodate him.

I'm not saying Berbatov will go down the same track with Veron, but it just strikes me that these two buys from Fergie have a lot in common.
Someone ban this clown please....and the mod that promoted him.