Is Chelsea's "good business"starting to payoff?

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
They have sold Mata, De Bruyne and Lukaku among others for what felt like good business at the time. But is that finally to catch-up with them, seeing their recent struggles. Imagine someone like KDB with Lukaku just in front in their current form. Its something that Chelsea have missed badly this season.

What are your thoughts?

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
The team they have walked the league last season, so I would say no.

Raw

At the time it seemed like good business, but in hindsight letting go of De Bruyne was a really stupid decision. £50m for Luiz is way too much to turn down too.

The players they have now should be good enough to compete for the title, but for some reason everything is going tits up.

Tyrion

They made some weird transfer decisions but Mata was sold for not fitting into Mourinho's defensive tactics.
Their current issues are down to Mourinho imo. He has just completely lost it this season. When he makes good sides great, he's given the credit. I don't see why he can't do the reverse.

EDIT: I actually think their policy of buying 200 teenagers and loaning them across Europe is interesting. I've always suspected it's because they doubt their abilities at developing youngsters. They've basically 'outsourced' the job of youth development. As with most things, when they're playing well, it looks smart. When they're losing, everything looks bad.

Dion

Not sure any of them would be the players they currently are if they'd stayed and I don't think it's lack of player quality that's the problem at Chelsea right now. Hazard etc. aren't suddenly bad players, whatever is dragging them down would drag the others down too.

C'est Moi Cantona

I said exactly the same last week, flogged Lukaku, Mata, And KDB for about £80 million, bought Salah, Cuadrado, Remy, and Pedro for about £70 million.

People lauded chelsea about been savvy in the transfer market but that makes pretty poor reading for me, top clubs aren't supposed to sell players by choice that improve at another club.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
How much do you guys think KDB, Mata and Lukaku are worth now?

JazzG

Resident Arse.
With the exception of possibly KDB don't think those players are what they need. Their problem areas are CB, RB and CM.

How much do you guys think KDB, Mata and Lukaku are worth now?
KDB's worth obviously went up since he left. Lukaku has improved a fair bit and with there being a shortage of strikers might go for more, not much more though. Don't think Mata is worth any more than they sold him for either.

krazyrobus

With the exception of possibly KDB don't think those players are what they need. Their problem areas are CB, RB and CM.

KDB's worth obviously went up since he left. Lukaku has improved a fair bit and with there being a shortage of strikers might go for more, not much more though. Don't think Mata is worth any more than they sold him for either.
Exactly only KDB would improve them at this point in time, so this whole business thing is irrelevant.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I said exactly the same last week, flogged Lukaku, Mata, And KDB for about £80 million, bought Salah, Cuadrado, Remy, and Pedro for about £70 million.

People lauded chelsea about been savvy in the transfer market but that makes pretty poor reading for me, top clubs aren't supposed to sell players by choice that improve at another club.
Spot on add Fabregas to that list also!

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Why the feck did they sell Mata? He was a key player for them in 11/12 and 12/13, feck that workrate excuse, he was providing them double digits.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
And Cech, his impact on Arsenal results can't be underestimated, while Chelsea lose game after game with Begovic (who isn't bad but he's no Cech)

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
And Cech, his impact on Arsenal results can't be underestimated, while Chelsea lose game after game with Begovic (who isn't bad but he's no Cech)
Begovic is only in because of injury though and Cech didn't want to sit on the bench

DWelbz19

Exactly only KDB would improve them at this point in time, so this whole business thing is irrelevant.
As would Lukaku. Costa has, for lack of a better word, regressed/declined quite drastically over the last 11 months or so.

krazyrobus

As would Lukaku. Costa has, for lack of a better word, regressed/declined quite drastically over the last 11 months or so.
I'd blame his team for his lack of supply, it's not like he's been missing sitters.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Mata, KDB, Lukaku and Cech is certainly a lot of talent to allow leave your club. I mean we're a title challenging side and three of those guys would probably get into our team with the other only being kept out by a world class DDG.

However, if the likes of Costa, Hazard, Cesc, Matic and the rest are struggling this badly then there's no reason to think the players the they lost would be doing any better.

cyberman

I honestly thought this was a positive Chelsea thread from last season bumped for the lolz

DWelbz19

I'd blame his team for his lack of supply, it's not like he's been missing sitters.
Possibly, but his all-round game has dipped also. He just always wants a fight now. At first, it was a second thought -- wind the CBs up and then use that to your effect. Now he just doesn't do that last part.

MarkC

There isn't much to say De Buyrne would be seen as he is now had he stayed at Chelsea.

I'd be interested to know who gets to choose the players they sign.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The one player I thought they shouldn't have let go at the time is Lukaku. It was clear they needed a new long-term option up front and he seemed like the perfect candidate. With Mata and even de Bruyne I understood why they didn't make it, but in Lukaku's case I didn't.

lysglimt

Scout
If Chelsea draw their next game in the league - by my quick calculations, they will have lost as many points in the first 13 matches as they did in 38 matches last season.

I can't possibly explain it - even if I tried.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
De Bruyne and Lukaku could be useful to them right now.

Kazi

KDB is the only one they're really missing, reckon he'd get Chelsea out of trouble a couple of times this season with his twenty yarders. But only him.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
They aren't really missing Mata.
KdB, Lukaku and to a backup degree Cech, sure.
But Cech wanted to go, so that's them being nice to a man who was professional and had a good relationship with the club and the fans.
Don't know if there was any story around Lukaku/KdB, apart from Mourinho commenting something along the lines of "being a striker for Chelsea and a mid-table club is different things", which it certainly was back then, but in hindsight they definitely should have kept him around.

The rumors about KdB having attitude problems i faintly remember/imagine having read himself comment on that it was true, but that was because of frustration of not getting picked when he felt ready. Either way he needed game-time to develop. Their biggest mistake might have been not including a buy-back clause for both of them so they could have them now.

crimsonife

Honestly they already have good players from last year, it's not about the transfer business. With this squad they should be getting at least top 4, I'd put it down to poor management and lack of confidence. After all only De Bruyne would improve them.

Sylar

Lack of proper investment to freshen up the starting line up this summer is costing them. Seeing that hunger from newer players is a big thing.

Adding Greizmann and Stones would have been a huge boost imo (they got unlucky with Courtois injury as well - Begovic is decent but I think defence would be more confident).

AtlMuppet

I doubt many enjoy Baba Rahman, Hector, Begovic and Falcao
Given that none of them play in the positions Luiz and Mata play in, I don't really know what your point is. Luiz and Mata were replaced in their team by Zouma and one of Hazard, Oscar or Willian, all of which are improvements.

Green_Red

This is the definition of meltdown.. how long can Abramovich go before he has to cut Mourinho loose.

Are we taking bets?

I'm saying before January transfer window.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
They have a lot of good players playing really badly, who is to say the likes of Lukaku wouldn't be the same. In normal circumstances you would look at this team and blame the manager for the performances particularly when he has been acting up. The only problem is the manager just happens to be one of the best in the world though that hasn't stopped Chelsea before.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Mata isn't in the best form right now but he's been far far better and more productive than Oscar in the last 12 months.