Is Cristiano Ronaldo a United Legend?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
fecks that got to do with Ronaldo :lol:
Hah?? both have questionable attitudes during their time here. I still see both as legends despite of those.

So yeh. Maybe we should agreed on the meaning of legend first.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Hah?? both have questionable attitudes during their time here. I still see both as legends despite of those.

So yeh. Maybe we should agreed on the meaning of legend first.
I can’t remember Rooney walking off during games or refusing to turn up to pre season and then doing interviews slagging off the club mid season.

Maybe he wanted to leave or wanted a new contract once which wasn’t great. But not comparable to this circus.

el3mel

He was never a United legend to start with but glad this 2nd stent has closed this discussion for good.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I can’t remember Rooney walking off during games or refusing to turn up to pre season and then doing interviews slagging off the club mid season.

Maybe he wanted to leave or wanted a new contract once which wasn’t great. But not comparable to this circus.
I don't know. Rooney wasn't being fit (not taking care of his body fitness) in all of those seasons (being unprofessional) as United player had more damage than this Ronaldo interview circus. But again, these things don't take away their contributions/achievements with us, imho.

But your view about what deemed as a legend is probably shared among most fans.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I've never been so sick of the sight of anyone in my life. I can hardly remember the good stuff. He's an asshole.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Purely based on skill and achievements he's definitely top 10.

The legend status carries more weight, though. In this regard he might not even be top 100 now. He's ruined his United legacy. What a waste! He could have just bowed out like a gentleman, but he had to throw a tantrum.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
George Best has done worst during his last years at the club (missing games and training, walk out on the team, criticising the club, got suspended by the club, and also got arrested etc), he is still regarded as Man Utd legend. Only time will tell.

Eddy_JukeZ

George Best has done worst during his last years at the club (missing games and training, walk out on the team, criticising the club, got suspended by the club, and also got arrested etc), he is still regarded as Man Utd legend. Only time will tell.
He also spent his best years at the club, so it's very different.

Frank Grimes

I find it hard to be even angry with Ronaldo, not because I agree with his actions but because he has shown us who he is a long time ago. He is what he is, I blame the club for bringing him back.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Real Madrid legend, he left as soon as they came calling.

He stayed at United the extra year to recover from surgery.

Ronaldo was an insane player 18-23 then he transitioned to be get a ton of goals which he did 23-32 and since then he's been in gradual decline each year since around 30 he dribbles less and less.

I think Ronnie is a legend of the game, a legend of Madrid but he isn't a Juventus or United legend at all.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He also spent his best years at the club, so it's very different.
Yes but I’d argue his best years is also somewhat similar to Ronaldo’s best years at United. Just that Ronaldo has even better best years at Madrid.

fallengt

He had two good seasons here then feck off as soon as RM called. Not legend in my book

zenith

No way

Never believed he was a legend of the club, current events notwithstanding.

3 amazing years at the club, after 3 infuriating ones but hardly gives him the same status as giggs, Cantona, becks, Neville or so many others we consider proper legends of the club.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Cantona spent 5 seasons with us and won us 4 PL title, while Ronaldo spent 6 seasons with us and won us 3 PL title and 1 UCL. Both are wearing the iconic number 7 and were part of the big player who wore the no 7, he's not some flops no 7 like Di Maria, Valencia, or Memphis or Owen.

If Cantona is United legend, why can't Ronaldo be especially given that he won his first ballon dor with us? Winning ballon dor can also be a massive reflection of player's influences to our 3 league trophies and 1 UCL.

Shiva87

He is a football legend - absolutely. Man United legend - not at all.

He has had 8 years at this club. 2 years were marred with controversy - first on him leaving to Real Madrid, and now about his failure to accept his own decline, and misusing his status in the game. 3 years he was learning his trade under Fergie and was up and down in terms of performances but prodigious on talent. That's 5 of 8 years. The balance 3 years - he had 2 amazing seasons (06-07 and 07-08) and 1 season where it can be argued that him coming to the team totally disrupted the performances of the players around him (2021-22).

How can he be a legend of the club? At best he had 2 legendary seasons - but he will never be a legend of United in my eyes.

Club legend status can be reserved only for players who have done more for the club than what the club has done for them!

Edit: Not to mention, he has now come out and said that he was joining Man City and the only reason he came to United is because SAF got involved. The only thing on his mind when he returned here was how many goals he will score to stay ahead of Messi in the GOAT race, and now that United haven't been able to give him the same platform that City gave Haaland for example, he feels betrayed by the club. (Notice there is no a single reflection on his own performances).

Shiva87

Cantona spent 5 seasons with us and won us 4 PL title, while Ronaldo spent 6 seasons with us and won us 3 PL title and 1 UCL. Both are wearing the iconic number 7 and were part of the big player who wore the no 7, he's not some flops no 7 like Di Maria, Valencia, or Memphis or Owen.

If Cantona is United legend, why can't Ronaldo be especially given that he won his first ballon dor with us? Winning ballon dor can also be a massive reflection of player's influences to our 3 league trophies and 1 UCL.
Please do not compare him to Eric. Legend status cannot be reduced to numbers/ trophies, but the overall impact on the fan base and a lot of intangibles that exist. Do you think Ronaldo will ever respect United, or is it just a place where he made HIS legacy? He will respect Fergie for sure, but the club?

dpansheth

No. Because he has always dragged the club in the middle with his own idiosyncrasies. Madrid first and then now. Yeah he has been loved but legend, no fecking way.

mu4c_20le

How can he be a legend of the club? At best he had 2 legendary seasons - but he will never be a legend of United in my eyes.
Easy, he won the balon d'or here. You are of course entitled to your own opinion, but it sounds more like spite than anything.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Easy, he won the balon d'or here. You are of course entitled to your own opinion, but it sounds more like spite than anything.
It's clearly not that easy and you can see that in this thread itself.

The Balon Dor is an individual award that only matters to Ronaldo not to the club.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Not a United legend for me. He never put the club above himself and that's the end of the story. He's a player with great achievements that once played with us, he achieved way more for Real Madrid, he achieved great things with us as well, but the bar for being a United Legend has to be much, much higher.

In my lifetime, genuine United Legend is Cantona. I would say also Scholes and Keane, but I am not sure there are other obvious examples. Ole is legendary because of the unforgettable goal against Bayern, but if not that goal I wouldn't say he was a legend either. Giggs,

For each their own, and I don't argue with anybody who wants many others to be legends, as well. For me - a United legend is a bar very high, and some of the great players who played for this club don't necessarily rise to that level.

mu4c_20le

It's clearly not that easy and you can see that in this thread itself.

The Balon Dor is an individual award that only matters to Ronaldo not to the club.
I think people forget how bad we were in the years before we signed him, the era of kleberson and djemba djemba. Then he and Rooney came along and helped brought us back to the very top within a few years. Just because he had a dream to play in Spain shouldn't diminish his status at the club, and Fergie accepted that as well.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Please do not compare him to Eric. Legend status cannot be reduced to numbers/ trophies, but the overall impact on the fan base and a lot of intangibles that exist. Do you think Ronaldo will ever respect United, or is it just a place where he made HIS legacy? He will respect Fergie for sure, but the club?
When you talked about ''respect issue'', are you referring to the interview? What Ronaldo did in the interview is exactly what Keane did, except Keane's interview wasn't broadcasted as it was MUTV.

Idxomer

Point me to any legend for any club who left at 23 at his peak to go to a different team which was inferior on the pitch at the time.

Boondog

Yes of course. Absolutely. He ran off but gave us enough to where he is a part of the fabric of this great team. He will always be a United great no matter how much he fails to mentally handle his decline.

Because he has failed hard this year. Just about every move he's made with EtH has been a mistake. But in a decade none of this BS will matter, he will be one of our own no doubt about it.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If someone talk about Man United no 7 icon number, Ronaldo would have been in part of the conversation and had been in the conversation. That alone reflects him as Man United legend. You don't see many players were successful wearing that number, and Ronaldo was successful wearing that club's iconic number.

Idxomer

Why isn't?
It's pretty obvious.

Didn't disrespect the manager and didn't run away for Piers Morgan who's a clown and hates United to voice his disagreements with the club. Anyway, what's stopping him from being a United legend isn't the interview. It just showed again how he views United which is the same as he did his whole career.

Siorac

I think people forget how bad we were in the years before we signed him, the era of kleberson and djemba djemba. Then he and Rooney came along and helped brought us back to the very top within a few years. Just because he had a dream to play in Spain shouldn't diminish his status at the club, and Fergie accepted that as well.
We signed him in the same summer as Kleberson and Djemba-Djemba, and we were champions at the time.

And of course his insistence on fecking off at pretty much the first opportunity, right before entering his prime, should diminish his status at the club.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If someone talk about Man United no 7 icon number, Ronaldo would have been in part of the conversation and had been in the conversation. That alone reflects him as Man United legend. You don't see many players were successful wearing that number, and Ronaldo was successful wearing that club's iconic number.
That’s correct.

In fact our very first legend who wears no 7 was George Best, who was even arguably even more controversial during his last years with us. They have also both won similar trophies/honours during their peak with us too (CL, PL, Ballon d’Or etc).

Make absolutely no sense if George Best is considered Man Utd legend while Ronaldo isn’t.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It's pretty obvious.

Didn't disrespect the manager and didn't run away for Piers Morgan who's a clown and hates United to voice his disagreements with the club. Anyway, what's stopping him from being a United legend isn't the interview. It just showed again how he views United which is the same as he did his whole career.
Roy Keane mentioned Sir Alex had gone soft and changed. Both players had disagreement with the managers. Both players did interview to let it out of their feeling and questioned the club's ambition.

Ronaldo is the club's legend because he was the successful player to wear the club's iconic number. He will always be in the conversation and will be remembered alongside Best, Robson, Beckham, Cantona.