Is Cristiano Ronaldo a United Legend?

GreatDane

I share your irritation with him. But I think his legend tag was sealed by coming back to the club. No matter the motivation or outcome it was such a mad buzz to hear he was coming home. That was special and not something we got to experience with any other legends who left too soon.

I still think he’s a douche though. And always has been.
About this. I'm exaggerating but him comming back and scoring was a big highlight in a sad Man Utd timeline
Still, last year every attack felt like it had to end with Ronaldo and stiffled the flow, so I don't think it would hurt us really.
He scored, but everyone else didn't.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well since he’s about to feck off after one season clearly feeling we’re now beneath him I’m not sure how the buzz surrounding his return is going to be looked at in retrospect. I’m already cringing a bit looking back at Rio’s grinning video for example.
Yeah it’s all gone to shite. Was a magic moment though. Giggs turning out to be a complete scumbag doesn’t take away from the many magic moments he gave us so I’ll still remember Ronaldo’s homecoming fondly. Even if it does have an asterisk.

Olecurls99

No. He was a great player for us but he left when he was 24. He came back for 500k, 13 years later. I don't like his plastic face either

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
No, definitely not. I think fans are desperate to label him as one because he'll go down as one of the best of all time, but the fact of the matter is, he's a Madrid legend, not a United one.

Sviken

Go do some research on George Best.
You snowflakes are so fragile.
The fact people are questioning the Legend status of Ronaldo is pitiful.
Best was and still is my favourite ever Untied player. I got to watch him when i was a kid. How he left us was disgraceful and also his behaviour in his last 2 seasons also disgraceful. He was gone at 27. However the bigger picture and his exploits with us mean he will always be one of our greatest legends.
Ronaldo's exploits for us in time will see the bullshit "not a legend" argument consigned to the bin.
Best acted in a completely self centered manner, he insulted the club and the fans with his actions and comments during that time. He is an absolute Legend. So is Ronaldo.
Surely you can find some of these comments since I can't? Also, by the time he left he already was past his prime from what I've read. It's just nowhere near the same situation no matter how you spin it. Ruud's leaving is also similar to Cristiano's first time, but at least he gave us his best years when he was here. Want me to list how many times Ronaldo has insulted the club directly or indirectly? If you simply consider a great player who wore a shirt to be a legend, okay, fine. But I don't. I think to be a legend of this football club, you have to love the shirt and the club you're playing for, not simply your own personal glory. Even in his first stint with us, he was always out for himself. Cool, but just like Tevez - that doesn't make him a legend. A great player, okay. Maybe the best ever. I'll even be inclined to agree with that. But never a United legend in my eyes.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I think you had too much internet for today.
The Ronaldo cult going into meltdown. Projecting their love of the club onto him, despite the fact that he hasn't shown the love for the club that they purport he has.

marktan

Easily a legend. Started watching in 2004 and it's almost been 20 years and he's easily the best player I've seen play for us.

JoaquinJoaquin

This situation is tough to take considering the stage of the club currently, but of course he is a legend. Let's be honest, if this team was good he would of stuck around now.

He'sRaldo

It's more about what he DID do than how it ended, so yes he is.

That being said, if the overwhelming emotion you feel when thinking of Ronaldo's time at Utd is anger or disgust then fair enough, he's not a legend for you. Mind that would mean you're probably a pretty miserable fellow, but to each his own.

Idxomer

Of course not.

He is doing everything in his power to get out for the 2nd time. He was brilliant for two years the first time, the best in the world but he left when he was only 23 to spend his prime years in Madrid which was a much worse team than United. Comes back at 36, and acts like a virus creating a circus and ruining the dressing room in less than 6 months. Now, he wants to leave again because of his "ambitions" when he hasn't realized yet that he has been a big problem for the 5 managers he had in the last 4 seasons and they have all been sacked with him around.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Simply the greatest player of all time. how could he not be a legend?

fps

It's a subjective question and nearly everyone around the world will say yes while a few edgelords on the forums say no. He was a key part of one of the most successful United teams in history, you can't tell that story without mentioning his name. So.

Yes Cristiano Ronaldo United legend.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Are there any players in the history considered two clubs legend? Or is it just us losers thinking like that?

OpenIntrovert

Yes he is a legend. A true fan will not say he is not a legend just because they read some media rumours. The 07/08 saga was much worse than the current rumour that we are seeing from the media (Ronaldo publicly said that he felt like a slave etc) yet the fans still chanted his name when he came to play here with Real Madrid and Juventus colours. That tells you the difference between the actual fans and the ones here.

Schneckerl

Are there any players in the history considered two clubs legend? Or is it just us losers thinking like that?
Cruyff for Ajax and Barcelona.
Zidane? I'm not entirely sure how he is viewed by Juventus supporters.

MrEleson

Zidane at Juve and Real.

And tbf Ronaldo has almost played 2 careers worth of football.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Yes, the likes of law and Schmeichel are deemed legends despite joining our rivals
Back in the Times of big Pete City were a lower table club same with Cole. They were kind of irrelevant.

Gehrman

Thats all you got?
Cant refute that Best was appalling with how he left us but still a legend. In fact Bests exploits in leaving us make Ronaldo look like a saint.
Best wasn't dedicated but he also felt he carried the team too much and that the club lacked ambition after winning the European Cup.

Gehrman

I feel to be legend you have to be both good and love the club. Ronaldo talked about leaving ever since the winking incident. I think he's an icon rather than a legend.

Gehrman

Of course not.

He is doing everything in his power to get out for the 2nd time. He was brilliant for two years the first time, the best in the world but he left when he was only 23 to spend his prime years in Madrid which was a much worse team than United. Comes back at 36, and acts like a virus creating a circus and ruining the dressing room in less than 6 months. Now, he wants to leave again because of his "ambitions" when he hasn't realized yet that he has been a big problem for the 5 managers he had in the last 4 seasons and they have all been sacked with him around.
Madrid went full galactico In the window they signed Ronaldo. They quickly became our equal and not much later better.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Yes and no. He’s the best player who’s ever played for the club, which you obviously can’t ignore. But there’s something that doesn’t sit right about one of your club legends spending 7 seasons at your club, and trying to leave after 4 of them. He compared himself to a slave for god sake. I think most United fans know that Ronaldo only looks after Ronaldo, which removes that sentimental aura around most other club legends.

So I guess in terms of his contribution on the pitch? There’s no question he’s a United legend, but in terms of all the stuff that’s supposed to come with it? Not a chance. You’re supposed to be United through and through. Cantona, Robson, Keane, Giggs, Neville, Beckham, Ferdinand, Evra, these players all “got” United. That’s a legend. Ronaldo I always thought had more of an affinity with Ferguson than United.

Idxomer

Madrid went full galactico In the window they signed Ronaldo. They quickly became our equal and not much later better.
They only became a much better team after Fergie retired, 4 years after Ronaldo had left the club.

Gehrman

They only became a much better team after Fergie retired, 4 years after Ronaldo had left the club.
Nah they were better in 2011, they were just beaten in CL semis because Barca were better then.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Zidane at Juve and Real.

And tbf Ronaldo has almost played 2 careers worth of football.
Good shout, but I'd say Zidane is Real Madrd legend, IMO. I can't even connect him with Juve anymore.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Is Ronaldo (Brazil) an Ajax or/Barca/Inter/Real legend? I don't know. But he is a football legend. Ronaldo is like that for us. He is a football legend. I'm sure a Real legend. Not so much a Juve or United legend. He did win everything for/with us as well as the ballon d'or, so some will regard that a legend.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Yes he is but he isn’t one of our biggest legends.

Ronaldinho had a very short career at Barca and achieved the very top - a legend but not like Messi, iniesta or Xavi was for them.

Ronaldo was a short term legend for United.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yes he is but he isn’t one of our biggest legends.

Ronaldinho had a very short career at Barca and achieved the very top - a legend but not like Messi, iniesta or Xavi was for them.

Ronaldo was a short term legend for United.
Short term or long term isn't an issue for me.
He is a legend and I am surprised it is even a question.