Is Cristiano Ronaldo a United Legend?

Idxomer

Roy Keane mentioned Sir Alex had gone soft and changed. Both players had disagreement with the managers. Both players did interview to let it out of their feeling and questioned the club's ambition.
So, you ignore the differences I pointed out and just repeated again that it's exactly the same.

Ok, this has been pointless.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
So, you ignore the differences I pointed out and just repeated again that it's exactly the same.

Ok, this has been pointless.
It really has been pointless because I just highlighted the similarity and you still don't get it, nothing will ever get you then. Let me mention something that will be easy for you to understand and that is a fact of Ronaldo would always be remembered and be in the conversation as part of the Man United greats of the iconic no 7.

Shiva87

Easy, he won the balon d'or here. You are of course entitled to your own opinion, but it sounds more like spite than anything.
Yes, like I said, i think his performances during that season were truly excellent and legendary. I was a big fan of him, and loved what he did on the pitch and how he grew into that. But I don't think that makes him a legend. Perhaps its personal preference on what makes / who is a legend.

Idxomer

It really has been pointless because I just highlighted the similarity and you still don't get it, nothing will ever get you then. Let me mention something that will be easy for you to understand and that is a fact of Ronaldo would always be remembered and be in the conversation as part of the Man United greats of the iconic no 7.
You said the only difference is it wasn't broadcast because it was on MUTV, well that alone is a huge difference. Ronaldo saying plainly he doesn't respect the manager is on a completely another level than Keane going overboard with criticizing his teammates in a knee-jerk reaction after a friendly game.

And he'll always be remembered as the guy who left at his peak for an inferior team at the time and then came back as his powers were waning to poison the dressing room and disrespect the manager while running away to Piers Morgan.

Shiva87

When you talked about ''respect issue'', are you referring to the interview? What Ronaldo did in the interview is exactly what Keane did, except Keane's interview wasn't broadcasted as it was MUTV.
No, respect is not just relating to the interview. I also refer to when he came out after the champions league win of 07-08 (where he missed a penalty mind you), and gave an interview saying he thinks he should move on. In that same period, he said that United have treated him like a 'slave'. His ego comes before any club he has played for (Real Madrid included). Throughout his first stint, everyone knew that Ronaldo will go to Real Madrid the moment they come calling - he never stated a desire to stay at the club. United was a stepping stone for him, and the club knew its a matter of extracting the most out of him before he moves on.

I don't think Keane ever did any of that. We can keep arguing that Ronaldo did nothing wrong, but this second stint was his opportunity to become a legend. The story of him coming back, and then taking United back to trophies was something that would have made him a legend - but that didn't play out. So it is what it is, he is one of the GOATs of football who had 2 amazing seasons for us.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You said the only difference is it wasn't broadcast because it was on MUTV, well that alone is a huge difference.
So you ignored the post where I highlighted the similarity.

Ronaldo saying plainly he doesn't respect the manager is on a completely another level than Keane going overboard with criticizing his teammates in a knee-jerk reaction after a friendly game.

And he'll always be remembered as the guy who left at his peak for an inferior team at the time and then came back as his powers were waning to poison the dressing room and disrespect the manager while running away to Piers Morgan.
"Sometimes he'd back you, he'd fight your corner about a contract situation but ultimately I kind of lost that respect at the end when I felt he threw me under the bus," Keane spoke about Sir Alex.

Josh 76

I’m a few years all this will be forgotten and Ronaldo will always be one of the Clubs greats. A legend ? That’s just a matter of opinion.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
No, respect is not just relating to the interview. I also refer to when he came out after the champions league win of 07-08 (where he missed a penalty mind you), and gave an interview saying he thinks he should move on. In that same period, he said that United have treated him like a 'slave'. His ego comes before any club he has played for (Real Madrid included). Throughout his first stint, everyone knew that Ronaldo will go to Real Madrid the moment they come calling - he never stated a desire to stay at the club. United was a stepping stone for him, and the club knew its a matter of extracting the most out of him before he moves on.

I don't think Keane ever did any of that. We can keep arguing that Ronaldo did nothing wrong, but this second stint was his opportunity to become a legend. The story of him coming back, and then taking United back to trophies was something that would have made him a legend - but that didn't play out. So it is what it is, he is one of the GOATs of football who had 2 amazing seasons for us.
Of course Ronaldo did wrong. Human makes mistake. But he was part of the greats of the our iconic number 7, You underestimate how big our iconic number 7 is. He will always be remembered and mentioned in the conversation when people talk about Man United iconic number 7. That kind of interview will not overcome his legacy in that iconic number 7. It's just his opinion talking about Glazers influences to United's lack of ambition and his disagreement with ten Hag. Hence why I referred to Keane because Keane also against the club's ambition and disagree with the manager in his interview. Ironically months after he joined Celtic, I remember something like Keane mentioned that the fans will forget his legacy at United, at the end it doesn't erase his legacy.

Idxomer

"Sometimes he'd back you, he'd fight your corner about a contract situation but ultimately I kind of lost that respect at the end when I felt he threw me under the bus," Keane spoke about Sir Alex.
That's a completely different interview. Keane saying in retrospect 17 years later that he kind of lost that respect at the end is different to Ronaldo doing it in real time.

If Ronaldo somehow gets back into the squad and starts playing games again for United, it will be the end for Ten Hag at the club. That's how bad I think it will be for the current team.

I don't think we'll agree, so I'll leave it here.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
That's a completely different interview. Keane saying in retrospect 17 years later that he kind of lost that respect at the end is different to Ronaldo doing it in real time.
Both have disagreement with the manager and Keane considered it as disrespect. It's the same meaning whether how you want to view it in real time or future. End of the day Ronaldo legend or legacy status at United would be viewed in the next 5 or 10 or even 100 years. What Ronaldo said in real time won't even matter for the next 100 years.

If Ronaldo somehow gets back into the squad and starts playing games again for United, it will be the end for Ten Hag at the club. That's how bad I think it will be for the current team.

I don't think we'll agree, so I'll leave it here.
Keane was kicked out because of the clash of him and the manager. What does it mean? No player should be bigger than the manager. That's the reason why Ronaldo cannot get back into the squad and starts playing games again for United because if he does then it will be viewed as ''player should be bigger than the manager''.

Both events have the same meaning/influence.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think people forget how bad we were in the years before we signed him, the era of kleberson and djemba djemba. Then he and Rooney came along and helped brought us back to the very top within a few years. Just because he had a dream to play in Spain shouldn't diminish his status at the club, and Fergie accepted that as well.
Everyone remembers that era. It took a lot to get us back including the old guard (Giggs, Scholes) and an incredible back 5.

Players negative actions and antics will diminish their status at the club. Ronaldo 's behavior will obviously drag him down as it rightly should.

EtH

Point me to any legend for any club who left at 23 at his peak to go to a different team which was inferior on the pitch at the time.
This is just too logical for all the sentimental weirdos defending the narcissist.

alexthelion

If someone talk about Man United no 7 icon number, Ronaldo would have been in part of the conversation and had been in the conversation. That alone reflects him as Man United legend. You don't see many players were successful wearing that number, and Ronaldo was successful wearing that club's iconic number.
Best, Coppell, Robson, Cantona & Beckham. All imo are bigger legends than Ronaldo the Slave.

lex talionis

Before this now shameful interview I would gave laughed off as absurd the suggestion Cristiano Ronaldo is not a United legend.

But now, given that he has very publicly stated that he has no respect for Erik ten Hag, United manager, Cristiano Ronaldo has shredded any claim to be a United legend into ribbons. Worse, it’s clear he doesn’t care.

Vidic178

Honestly might depend on the 2nd half of the interview, first half was nowhere near as bad as the media made it out to be.

Arlo

I always appreciated what he did while at the club, and like many others would've preferred for him to stay here longer. Once it became clear that he wanted to leave I resigned myself to that and moved on.

I'm usually indifferent to what former players achieve elsewhere since they're not at the club I support. I also think that once a player has left they really shouldn't be brought back unless they're still at the peak of their powers.

Do I think he's a club legend? It's always easier to affirm that if the relationship between the player and the fans/club is good. Not so much if the relationship has soured. I guess time and distance from the current events will put that question to rest, one way or the other.

I can't stand him at the moment myself.

Foxbatt

Legends are not only defined by being a great player. Ronaldo was probably the best player in the world during his peak playing days. One can say it's a toss up between him and Messi during that time.
He probably would have been a legend if not for this interview.
A lot of Manchester United fans are upset. People defending him are Ronaldo fans.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Legend of football and Madrid.

Not a legend of this club. Begged to leave twice and this season has been unbelievably disrespectful, topped off with this interview.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I am not sure what's changed.

For years many people convinced us that he is our biggest legend exclusively because he's won Ballon d'Or playing for us while we also won the CL that year. I don't think any of those arguments changed.

Zippycup

This shouldn’t even be a discussion now. To call him a legend of Manchester United is not only wrong but embarrassing to do so. The list of times he’s disrespected the club is growing by the day and unless he gets his move away I fear that list will not only grow, but his tantrums will get worse.

Dannn411

As egotistical as he is, he is undeniably a club legend purely on the achievements side. Anyone suggesting otherwise is allowing the moment to get in the way of thinking clearly. He was the head of the snake in arguably the most dominant period in club history. Still the only Ballon D'or winner in the PL era. One of only four Manchester United Ballon D'or winners. Other three guys have a statue in front of the stadium.

When players have been as dominant as Ronaldo has been for a long long time, it is always very difficult for them to realise that they are finished. And when you add in Ronaldo's massive ego, it makes for an explosive situation. He will never openly admit he is done. The club has to grow the kahones to make the tough decision to get rid.

But beyond all that, he is most definitely a club legend.

Josh 76

I always appreciated what he did while at the club, and like many others would've preferred for him to stay here longer. Once it became clear that he wanted to leave I resigned myself to that and moved on.

I'm usually indifferent to what former players achieve elsewhere since they're not at the club I support. I also think that once a player has left they really shouldn't be brought back unless they're still at the peak of their powers.

Do I think he's a club legend? It's always easier to affirm that if the relationship between the player and the fans/club is good. Not so much if the relationship has soured. I guess time and distance from the current events will put that question to rest, one way or the other.

I can't stand him at the moment myself.
“Can’t stand him at the moment” that’s the key.

I remember when Utd won the CL in 2008 and straight away after the match he was interview and he was asked if he would be at Utd next season. He didn’t give a straight answer. Then in the next few weeks it was all about him flirting with Real. It was one of the biggest moments in the Clubs history, and he took the lime light.

That summer it was the Euros, and I couldn’t stand him. I was hoping he would play crap and wanted Portugal to go out.

Few years later, I forgot all that and I just remembered him being a great player for Utd.

It will happen again. When the dust is settled, all this will be a distant memory and he we still be remembered a great.

buckooo1978

gave us some great memories but not a club legend in my eyes

in fairness I remember how he treated the club back in 08/09 over a couple of Summers. Pogba-esque

will be an important part of our history but a legend? not for me

ThinkTank@Cafe

Are you kidding? To be a legend at a club of United stature talent, trophies and achievements are not enough. Loyalty matters as much as ability.

Don’t mention Dennis Law please. Completely different situation.

Mmm-Qatarian

Eh, to be honest with time I think there's a good chance that at least a fair few people may come to regard him as one. You ask most United fans who don't have their nose up Ronaldo's behind at the moment and you'll only get one answer but time is a great healer so who knows what the majority opinion will be in five or ten years' time.

It doesn't really bother me whether Ronaldo is or is not a legend of the club, though. I think that whatever else he is, he's a stroppy egomaniac who lashes out at almost everyone who fails to show him anything less than unquestioning devotion. That matters a whole lot more to me than whether or not he's a Manchester United legend.

Zed 101

For me the answer is no, I was fortunate to really get into football (and watching Utd) just before the class of 92 (was 15 at the time, fan from about 8yo but not much access to it) so when I think of legends I have a lot of names on that list, Ronaldo is not even in the top 30 when it comes to how I feel about the players I have seen at Utd.

I think the way in which Ronaldo left the club to go to Madrid is overlooked and brushed aside by many, for Utd he was nothing but a journeyman and we were just a means to an end, I cannot deny how destructive an attacking force he was for the last few seasons he was with us before leaving for Madrid, but the way in which he left will always prevent him from being labelled a legend.

I am sure that many will disagree, but for me part of the legend tag only exists when there is a deep connection between the club, the fans and the player.... see the way that players like Evra and Cantona adopted the club and even now are deeply connected to the club, (not saying Evra is a legend) for me that connection has to exist to be a legend, and Ronaldo has never had that.

Esquire

On stats and accomplishments yes a legend. But what killed it for me was that the actually WANTED to go to City but was only talked out of it. To profess love for United but yet had to be talked out of joining City is not worthy of legend status.

AndySmith1990

Club legends don't treat the club with contempt, and he's done that more than once. He's not even close to meeting the standards required to put him alongside the true United legends. He deserves to be held in the same regard as a knobhead like Tevez

LoneStar

There is more to being a legend of one of the biggest clubs in the world than just being a good football player. No way he is a legend in my eyes, after all the things he's done.

Was debatable before his second stint here, but now beyond doubt imo.

Jacob

If legends are based on football merit alone, then yes.

I think some people may not realize how right he is about the club, it takes guts to criticize publicly if you're not getting a reaction internally.

Maticmaker

Well, if he wasn't... he is now... but sorry as far as a statue at OT is concerned... " Cristiano you have pi**ed on your chips son".

Will Singh

Legend…I’d say he was an important part of our history. If it wasn’t for United who gave him a chance who knows where he would be today but the other way round United would have still achieved success. There was plenty of fast wingers at that time he just got lucky we spotted him otherwise he’d be a waiter in a Portugal holiday resort

UpWithRivers

Depends on how you define legend. If its just on football achievements for the club then undeniably yes but then so is the likes of Giggs. If the definition legend includes off the pitch antics and how they represent the club then no.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Going by FM terms, they have Legend, Icon and favoured.

C.Ronaldo falls under the icon list for me