Is De Gea Man Utd Legend?

Is David de Gea Quintana a Manchester United legend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wolvored

The 3rd best goalie after Schmeichel and VDS imo. He isnt a legend as when you think of legends he wouldnt be in the top 20 names you would think of. When you think of goalies that have played in his era worldwide he wouldnt be the first to mind either.

bsCallout

Since joining, he has won every domestic trophy possible and a Europa League on top of that. Obviously we had hoped for a more bountiful trophy haul over the last ten years, but not many who've played in the EPL - even at the top clubs - can claim to have achieved that.
Bryan Robson won just one more PL title than De Gea. Was he not a United legend? Or does the difference between him being a United legend and not come down to the 8 PL starts in his final season that secured him that second medal? If he hadn't made those final few appearances then tough luck, his career up to that point wasn't quite good enough?

Connecting it so directly to trophies seems so silly to me.
DDG has cost us too many times and I've never felt he was the reason or he saved us in any of those trophy winning seasons.

Like others I think he is a great United player, not a legend. It doesn't help that during his best years it all seemed to be because he wanted to join Madrid.

I can't speak for Robson, didn't follow United then.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Legend is relative but at our club it requires being part of and continuing the legacy of winning trophies, the big ones. He's been a grand stopper though.
Martin Buchan had won 1 FA Cup and a Charity Shield.
Bryan Robson had won 3 FA Cups, CWC and 2 Charity Shields. Also he had won 2 leagues as a substitute.

Are they United legends? De Gea has 1 league title, Europa League, 1 FA Cup, 1 League Cup and 3 Charity Shields by the way.

Depends on your definition of a legend in my opinion.

He will go in to the pool of semi legend for me:

Legends - Class of 92, Ronaldo, Cantona, Rooney, Rio, Schmeichel, VDS, Vidic, Evra, Keane, Bruce etc (Not named them all)
Semi legends - De Gea, Valencia, Berba, Ibra, Van Persie, Ole? (Maybe in the full legend), Fletcher, Carrick etc (Not named them all)

The disrespect to Ole is a joke.

Valencia? are you on crack??

wolvored

I'm quite disappointed by the way this poll is shaping up. He's certainly at his all-time low in terms of his reputation among the fans (I'd like us to replace him as well by the way), but I can't see how he isn't one by any stretch.

He has made more than 400 appearances for the club, won United POTY 4 times, 5 times got into Premier League's Team of the Season... it shouldn't matter much, but even for the pure entertainment value — he has won MotD Save of the Season 5 times :drool: He absolutely carried us through the worst period in our recent history, and his performance during that 2nd place season is still the best domestic season that I've seen by any keeper. He hasn't won much? Robson has only won 2 league titles with us — both as a squad player... Obviously, De Gea is not quite on Robson's level, but that argument simply doesn't work.

Is he good enough now? No. Should we replace him? Yes. Does it mean that all the good work that he has done for us over the years should be tarnished by his current mistakes? Surely not.

Robson also won 3 FA cups a cup winners cup 2 league cups so no De Gea isnt close to him

Manoucha09

2 years ago the voting would probably be YES, today I'm guessing NO
I'm not even sure he'd be considered a legend 2 years ago. Yes he was the best in his position in this league at the time, possibly the world, but I'm not sure that's enough. He's definitely high on the list of the best players to play for this club, but I think a legend should be both a great player as well as one who leads the club to multiple titles.

His record at United is quite poor:

1 PL title
1 FA Cup
1 Europa League
1 League Cup
3 Community Shields

On an individual level, he'd make it. POTY mutiple times but imo that's more indicative of our level over the past few years, not necessarily how great he was. Put him in the 2008 or 1999 teams and I'm not sure he'd win POTY.

He's been my favourite player in the post-fergie years, but I wouldn't put any player from that time on the legends list... yet.

Reactions: Rood

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Bryan Robson had won 3 FA Cups, CWC and 2 Charity Shields. Also he had won 2 leagues as a substitute.

Are they United legends? De Gea has 1 league title, Europa League, 1 FA Cup, 1 League Cup and 3 Charity Shields by the way.
Exactly.

Not to mention the countless average players who won trophies by dint of being around when better players were doing well. Do they get pushed up the legend list? Or someone like Carlos Tevez, who won twice as many league titles as De Gea and as many as Robson, as well as a CL. Is he therefore more of a Manchester United legend than either?

Other clubs who have never won the league have their own legends. How many titles can your club win before people who never won a title get disregarded as legends? How many more years without a PL win before we start counting them again?

It's a silly, box-ticking way of including players under what is a very vague umbrella that should be driven more by emotion and the narrative of their time at the club. Why on earth you would apply the same expectations to players regardless of context, I have no idea.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I agree with this part to be honest - right now as his mistakes are a lot more recent and clearer in people's minds, he's less likely to be thought of as a legend. Give it a few years, and we'll look back on the better times, and think of him as a legend.
Yeah, I think people have forgotten how fecking dreadful it can be not having an excellent goalkeeper. We've been so fortunate since VDS joined that we've had a top keeper pretty much every season since.

Those years between Schmeichel to VDS were pretty regarding keepers, and it definitely cost us a few extra trophies.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I voted no and am a little surprised that the poll is more or less close.
But claiming either he is a legend or he is not are not shocking statements at all, arguments can be made for both.
He has been very important to us in a number of seasons, but when I compare him to a lot of our bigger legends, he doesn’t have the same importance.
For me he is as much a legend as someone like RvN or RvP.

Redlyn

I don't think so. A good man united player but I wouldn't go as far as to say legend. But he is still here so cant write him off yet. Could still edge it for just pure longevity and trophies ( I'm assuming/hoping we are going to start winning some of those again pretty soon).

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I’ve been one of his biggest fans, but no. If during his peak years we’d won more that might be very different, but I feel like that’s key to being a legend at United, not just longevity.

Perhaps there also needs to be a level of leadership quality that he’s not achieved either, although he did have a lot of responsibility in terms of consistency of his performances needed at one point, which he delivered in droves.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I'm quite disappointed by the way this poll is shaping up. He's certainly at his all-time low in terms of his reputation among the fans (I'd like us to replace him as well by the way), but I can't see how he isn't one by any stretch.

He has made more than 400 appearances for the club, won United POTY 4 times, 5 times got into Premier League's Team of the Season... it shouldn't matter much, but even for the pure entertainment value — he has won MotD Save of the Season 5 times :drool: He absolutely carried us through the worst period in our recent history, and his performance during that 2nd place season is still the best domestic season that I've seen by any keeper. He hasn't won much? Robson has only won 2 league titles with us — both as a squad player... Obviously, De Gea is not quite on Robson's level, but that argument simply doesn't work.

Is he good enough now? No. Should we replace him? Yes. Does it mean that all the good work that he has done for us over the years should be tarnished by his current mistakes? Surely not.

Wonderful post. A lot of revisionism going on. His saves were extraordinary for us and he was one of the few bright lights during a dark period.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I agree but that's a silly way to judge him really. No matter how poor he is now, that doesn't change how brilliant he was for a number of years.
True but it's always the way with polls - depends very much in the timing

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Depends what you mean by "legend" really.

Some players seem to garner a certain status with fans for reasons that have nothing to do with their trophy hauls, while others win lots of trophies without quite earning their spot in fan's affections.

If that status is what we're talking about then yes, he is a legend. He was the one consistent shining light at the club during its worst years in generations, quite literally saving us from worse humiliation across multiple years on his own and comfortably being our outstanding player of that decade. Any right-thinking United fan would have a tremendous amount of respect and affection for him.

On the other hand, if by "legend" you're thinking of trophy hauls or asking whether he would get into our all time eleven then obviously not. By that definition you'd call him a "fan favourite", "club servant" something, though the distinction between those sort of terms is very vague.
This a great post too as it asks a pertinent question as to how one defines what a legend is. I think overall I definitely have him as a legend here and a fan favourite. Pity fans are fickle, forgetful bunch.

Baneofthegame

I feel DDG’s “legend” has suffered due to our relative lack of success since he has been no.1, he was the best GK in the world and around that level for 4-5 years, which coincided with us being garbage.

Still don’t think he’s a legend, but certainly an amazing keeper and may be viewed differently had we had more success.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I'm not even sure he'd be considered a legend 2 years ago. Yes he was the best in his position in this league at the time, possibly the world, but I'm not sure that's enough. He's definitely high on the list of the best players to play for this club, but I think a legend should be both a great player as well as one who leads the club to multiple titles.

1 PL title
1 FA Cup
1 Europa League
1 League Cup
3 Community Shields

On an individual level, he'd make it. POTY mutiple times but imo that's more indicative of our level over the past few years, not necessarily how great he was. Put him in the 2008 or 1999 teams and I'm not sure he'd win POTY.

He's been my favourite player in the post-fergie years, but I wouldn't put any player from that time on the legends list... yet.
I'd tend to agree with this - obviously not everyone is going to have the same definition of what constitutes a 'legend' for them but De Gea misses out for me

Schneiderman

Reluctantly voted no. He was well on the way to it and even looking ahead of VDS/Schmeichel. But he's declined too early and cost us in too many big games in recent years.

A great league or UCL winning season next year and I'd probably change my mind again though.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Easily a legend for me, and I’m very critical of him now...he’s been a poor keeper for the best part of three seasons....however for about 4/5 seasons his performance levels were up there with Schmeichel, Keane, Ronaldo. Phenomenal. Way beyond VDS who was a great keeper and a steady influence but didn’t produce saves that you didn’t expect him to make.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

1 PL title
1 FA Cup
1 Europa League
1 League Cup
3 Community Shields

Bryan Robson says hi

SER19

No but not through any individual fault. I think a legend would have won more unfortunately

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I feel DDG’s “legend” has suffered due to our relative lack of success since he has been no.1, he was the best GK in the world and around that level for 4-5 years, which coincided with us being garbage.

Still don’t think he’s a legend, but certainly an amazing keeper and may be viewed differently had we had more success.
This always baffles me, people seem to look at some players who were good, but played in great teams and put them above great players who didn’t play in good teams.

Judas

Open to offers
Being a great player doesn't make you a club legend. I'm surprised just how close the vote is. Maybe you can argue his team mates prevented him from winning more when he was at his best, but I just don't see him as a legend. Still time for it to happen for him though perhaps, seeing as he's not going anywhere anytime soon.

troylocker

A legend for me!
10 seasons as #1 playing 434 matches for us.
Won the EPL, EL, FA Cup, League Cup and multiple Charity Shields. Three times Players Manchester United player of the year etc.

Only recency bias denying him legend status for some in here....

wolvored

Another thing to mention is he was ready to leave, but for a dodgy fax machine. We also had to make him the highest paid player to stay as well. No one will match his salary thats why he is resigned to stay here

Baneofthegame

This always baffles me, people seem to look at some players who were good, but played in great teams and put them above great players who didn’t play in good teams.
I feel this happens a lot, not just here, which is why legends should be the pinnacle of both aspects in my opinion.

In terms of ability, DDG was arguably the bestat his position, which not many players can say.

Cloud7

A big part of being a legend for me is that you have to be part of a successful team, or you have to inspire the team you’re a part of to accomplish something special. During his time here, De Gea hasn’t really been either of those things, though it’s not his own fault that the manager and team were both crap for most of his time here.

greatscott9930

Supports
St. Louis City Soccer Club
If "Legend" means something akin to being deserving of induction into a United "Hall of Fame," I would say yes.

If the term "Legend" must also include what I describe as "Nostalgic Affection," (the love for a player based on key moments, titles, unforgettable memories, mutual love of the club), it is probably more debatable.

He is easily a top 5 keeper statistically. I wish there were other stats like wins and save percentage here, but this chart is informative of DDG's historical status at the club:

http://www.mufcinfo.com/manupag/all_clean_sheets/all_clean_sheets.html

DoomSlayer

I think his time is up and we should sell him, but De Gea should go down as a Manchester United legend, no doubt.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I voted legend. At his best he was one of the best in his position that we’ve ever had. Definitely top 5. He’s not doing his legacy any favours the last few years though and that’s majorly taken the shine off it. I bet a lot more of our fans would like him right now if he’d went to madrid and won a CL or 2 instead of staying here for the money and playing average at best.

The last contract was a joke to be fair. If he’s getting 350k per week he’s getting at least 100k too much compared to other top keepers. Would anyone else have even paid him 250k at the time? What were we at?!

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Good point.

I suppose my feeling is yes. Robbo helped establish a lot about about the winning mentality that was integral in those early Premier League wins. I'd say his legacy is far greater than De Gea's, though it's unfair in a way to judge as one is still playing.

I probably explained poorly but I don't think titles maketh the legends completely. Now I think about it, it's probably less important than making a valuable contribution to the club as a whole, which Robbo did do and IMO De Gea hasn't quite done to quite the same level despite being an absolutely fantastic player for us.

Buchan is seriously before my time so I'm not qualified to judge.

Either way, some people don't regard Rooney as a legend when I feel he is so I get why you might think I'm wrong.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Definitely a legend for me. While lack of trophies mean that he won't be remembered as fondly as Schmeichel or Dave, I don't think I've ever seen or will see a season as good as 2017-18 from a goalkeeper.

He was easily the best in his position in the world for 2 odd years, best GK in the league for 5 odd years and won most Sir Matt Busby POTYs. As far as the trophies argument goes, I don't think a GK can win a team a league title so can't blame Dave for that. Additionally, using this logic would imply that Bobby Robson wasn't also a legend, which is ridiculous.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Watching him grow into such a fantastic keeper and fullfiling his enormous talent was just brilliant. Another Fergie's masterstroke.

Watching his legacy and his status at the peak of his powers depreciating among the fans quite the opposite.

Our best player for so long and a legend in my book.

Eire Red United

I find it difficult to describe any player who hasn't won major trophies for us a legend. I tend to think of it as stand out players in our best teams.

It is really harsh though as De Gea has done a lot for this club. If he was a striker putting in similar levels of performances whilst the rest of the team were costing us trophies he'd probably be considered a legend. I wouldn't class VDS as a legend either to be fair.
VDS saved a penalty to win the champions league, won multiple league titles, broke clean sheet records.... what more does he need to do?

Mainoldo

Disgusting. People really saying he’s not a legend? He’s been our best player. We have legends here based on being part of a title winning squad.

Counterfactual

I'm really surprised how many people think the number of trophies won is important to someone's chances of being deemed a legend. I wouldn't consider it to be relevant at all.

Someone can't force their teammates to play better and win stuff!

"Legend" should be determined by how good an individual was at their role and for how long, compared to others in that position, surely?