Film Is Die Hard really a Christmas film...

Reddy Rederson

Without the nostalgia you probably won’t enjoy it half as much as the rest of us.
You’ve never watched fecking Star Wars!!!! I know I’m speaking from a glass house here, but that the smeg? :)

I have found that watching old movies from the 70s and 80s brings that nostalgia feeling regardless of having seen it before or not. Like there’s a style of film making that’s been lost, the technology used or something. So I see a film made like they were made back then and it takes me back to sneaking into the living room after bed time to watch movies on late night tv my mother would never have allowed. Saw night of the living dead, escape from New York, strips, and countless others sneaking around the house at night and watching with the volume on low. 80s movies take me right back to that. So I should be ok with home alone now.

Hopefully :D

Moriarty

No more than The Great Escape is, I suppose. We usually watch Lord of the Rings over Christmas as well as Scrooge, with Alastair Sim. Might do something different this year and watch Bleak House with Diana Rigg and Denholm Elliot. OK, it's made for TV but its a superior drama done by the same team that did Tinker Tailor and Smiley's People. I'm saving Red Beard for New Year's Eve.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Hans Gruber: The author-turned terrorist who led the attack on the Nakatomi Plaza building
On Christmas Eve 33 years ago, he died a criminal, but perhaps Hans Gruber should've been remembered for something else...

When Hans Gruber fell to his death from the 30th floor of the Nakatomi Plaza building, Los Angeles, on Christmas Eve 1988, it was the final act in a tragedy of almost Shakespearean proportions. The leader and mastermind of an audacious raid on the Nakatomi Corporation vault that would have probably succeeded but for the intervention of an off-duty New York police officer, Gruber’s life and premature death at the age of 42 presents one of the great ‘what ifs’ to emerge from the Cold War.

Charismatic, cultured and hugely intelligent, Gruber was perfectly equipped to become a shining light in the reunified Germany that was only a matter of months away at his death. If the ambition, daring and meticulous planning employed in the Nakatomi heist could have been harnessed for good at an early age, who knows what he might have achieved after the new European dawn of the early 1990s…[read more]

lsd

The Oracle
I watched the first Lethal Weapon recently and it was much more of a christmas film than Die Hard in my opinion.

Pretty much every second line was someone wishing the other person Merry Christmas it has Jingle Bell Rock as its opening theme, there are set pieces among Christmas Trees and the overall arc is the main character turning from being suicidal into becoming a changed man embracing others as his friends

GueRed

Will probably watch Die Hard, Home Alone & National Lampoons during the next few days to get me into the festive mood.

Also Entrapment (Sean Connery and Cath Zeta-Jones :drool:) as we head into the new year..

ChaddyP

Will probably watch Die Hard, Home Alone & National Lampoons during the next few days to get me into the festive mood.

Also Entrapment (Sean Connery and Cath Zeta-Jones :drool:) as we head into the new year..
Dont forget Batman returns.

whats more "Christmasy" than a hot blonde falling to her death onto a Christmas tree light switch

Robertd0803

Die Hard totally is an Xmas film. As is the second one.

Every year we watch Die Hard and Muppets Christmas Carol almost to the exclusion of any other Xmas film.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Never seen Die Hard.
But I know I shock a lot of people when I say I don’t think Home Alone is a Christmas Film.

Just because it’s based around Christmas doesn’t make it a Christmas film in my eyes. One of the Harry Potters is at Christmas time isn’t it? Doesn’t make it a Christmas film.

Withnail

Never seen Die Hard.
But I know I shock a lot of people when I say I don’t think Home Alone is a Christmas Film.

Just because it’s based around Christmas doesn’t make it a Christmas film in my eyes. One of the Harry Potters is at Christmas time isn’t it? Doesn’t make it a Christmas film.
And what does make a film a Christmas film?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
And what does make a film a Christmas film?
Something that has a genuine “Christmas spirit” behind it, as cheesy as that sounds. Home Alone is just about a boy boobie-trapping his home against burglars.

Anything with the overall theme encapsulating Christmas.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Something that has a genuine “Christmas spirit” behind it, as cheesy as that sounds. Home Alone is just about a boy boobie-trapping his home against burglars.

Its not about a mother doing everything she can to be with her son on Christmas then? Or an old man reuniting with his family for the first time in years because its Christmas? Kevin booby trapping the house to catch some burglars is only one part of the movie.

Withnail

I thought so. Each to their own but schmaltzy feel good stuff does very little for me and shouldn't be a prerequisite.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Its not about a mother doing everything she can to be with her son on Christmas then? Or an old man reuniting with his family for the first time in years because its Christmas? Kevin booby trapping the house to catch some burglars is only one part of the movie.
I’ll be honest, it probably doesn’t help that I don’t rate the Home Alones. So I’ll probably come from a biased/bitter view admittedly.

Carl

I thought so. Each to their own but schmaltzy feel good stuff does very little for me and shouldn't be a prerequisite.
Exactly. Bad Santa's is a good example. That's not festive feel good, but undeniably a Chrismas movie.

Carl

I’ll be honest, it probably doesn’t help that I don’t rate the Home Alones. So I’ll probably come from a biased/bitter view admittedly.
Ahhh I geddit. You're one of those that likes to be contrary against popular stuff just because it's popular. Makes sense now. You should have said that from the start.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Ahhh I geddit. You're one of those that likes to be contrary against popular stuff just because it's popular. Makes sense now. You should have said that from the start.
woosh
I mean, it’s probably the only highly controversial opinion I have. But if you want to generalise my general views based on my opinion on one film, then all good.