Film Is Die Hard really a Christmas film...

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It is about Christmas. It's set at Christmas, takes place at a Christmas party, has a man visiting his family for Christmas, is backed by Christmas music, it being Christmas is referenced countless times throughout the movie and the ending is the protagonist and his wife being reunited for Christmas. It's a Christmas movie.

What does that have to do with the content of the movie?
No it isn't. It's about a hijacking. If they decided to set it at Thanksgiving or Easter would it make any difference to the plot? Would it take anything away from the film?

Because Christmas films are released at Christmas. Is Iron Man 3 and Batman Returns Christmas films?

YouGov had a poll on this subject recently. Less than a third of voters thought it was a Christmas film. Not very high for a Christmas film.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
No it isn't. It's about a hijacking. If they decided to set it at Thanksgiving or Easter would it make any difference to the plot? Would it take anything away from the film?
That's the second one ffs, albeit that's still a Christmas movie to. It being Christmas is a central plot line.

Home Alone is a Christmas movie according to absolutely everybody, and could be set in the summer just as easily.

Because Christmas films are released at Christmas. Is Iron Man 3 and Batman Returns Christmas films?
Can't remember Iron Man 3, Batman Returns is.

YouGov had a poll on this subject recently. Less than a third of voters thought it was a Christmas film. Not very high for a Christmas film.
People are dumb; see Brexit.

ivaldo

That's the second one ffs, albeit that's still a Christmas movie to. It being Christmas is a central plot line.

Home Alone is a Christmas movie according to absolutely everybody, and could be set in the summer just as easily.

Can't remember Iron Man 3, Batman Returns is.

People are dumb; see Brexit.
No it isn't. There are plenty of people who
don't consider it a Christmas movie.

It's not central to the plot at all, we've discussed this and the film could be set at any other holiday or time and it wouldn't take anything away from it.

So I've given you my definition of a Christmas film, what's yours?

Says the person who thinks Die Hard is a Christmas movie :smirk:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
No it isn't. There are plenty of people who
don't consider it a Christmas movie.

It's not central to the plot at all, we've discussed this and the film could be set at any other holiday or time and it wouldn't take anything away from it.

So I've given you my definition of a Christmas film, what's yours?

Says the person who thinks Die Hard is a Christmas movie :smirk:
Films set around Christmas. Obviously.

ivaldo

Films set around Christmas. Obviously.
So films set in December. Harry met Sally is a Christmas film, as is Rocky and Edward Scissor Hands, Ghostbusters.

Last edited:

hungrywing

There are tiers to this.

It's a Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th st
. etc. are Christmas movies. Celebration/exploration of certain themes/values associated with the religion/holiday.

Home Alone, Love Actually etc. are the next tier. Not really Christmas movies but they make heavy use of the associated values to directly help drive the plot.

Die Hard is a movie that happens to be set during Christmas. Same as Shane Black (Lethal Weapon, Iron Man 3, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, etc)'s thing for just setting his films during the Christmas period.

Scrumpet

There are no words
If Christmasness does not make up the majority of the movie’s appeal, it is not a Christmas movie.

Zen

Aren't like numerous songs that are endlessly included in Christmas Playlists not exactly Christmassy ? But just are anyway...mostly because they topped the charts and remind people of christmas.

The same way Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Long Kiss Goodnight and whatever else are for films

Member 39557

There are tiers to this.

. etc. are Christmas movies. Celebration/exploration of certain themes/values associated with the religion/holiday.

Home Alone, Love Actually etc. are the next tier. Not really Christmas movies but they make heavy use of the associated values to directly help drive the plot.

Die Hard is a movie that happens to be set during Christmas. Same as Shane Black (Lethal Weapon, Iron Man 3, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, etc)'s thing for just setting his films during the Christmas period.
Like John Mctiernan, director of Die Hard. The Christmas film to rule them all.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
You guys will be saying Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name isn't a christmas song next.

Red Stone

I'm an old fecker.

If that is your yardstick for a must-have-seen movie, then much to learn you have, young Jedi.
A paraphrased quote from 2001's Attack of the Clones from the guy who says he stopped watching generic Hollywood drivel long before Die Hard and Home Alone were released.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Well it definitely is. Anything set at Christmas is a Christmas film. Is it the most "Christmassy" film? Probably not. Can it be your favourite Christmas film? Sure, why not!? Also, why can women not enjoy Die Hard? There's nothing to be offended by here. I'd give a shout out to Gremlins and Batman Returns which are also not "Christmassy" Christmas films.
Tbf what is considered Christmassy? The distorted view portrayed by Charles Dickens? I'm guessing snow is very "Christmassy" to people in the UK despite vast majority of times there isn't snow at Christmas.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It was released in July, search traffic on Google is consistent throughout the year and if the film was set in February it would make very little difference. It's about as much of a Christmas film as 21 jump street is a religious film for it's frequent mentioning of Korean Jesus.
There are tiers to this.

It's doesn't just happen to be set at Christmas though. The whole reason he is in town is to reunite with his wife/family, which he can do because it's Christmas. The bad guys plan their attack at the Christmas Party. The response to the crisis is a bit belated because it's the holidays... I could go on.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
A paraphrased quote from 2001's Attack of the Clones from the guy who says he stopped watching generic Hollywood drivel long before Die Hard and Home Alone were released.
Actually, i didn't say that at all. I said: "I've stayed away from run-of-the-mill Hollywood standard products for a while now, with a very few exceptions".

That star wars quote has long since entered the public domain. And for the record, i watched about 1.5 "star wars" movies in total in my whole life. The "star wars" universe is not my thing, simply - not that any of that has any significance in a discussion about what makes a movie a christmas movie.

What is and isn't a Christmas movie, imo, is not exactly a law of nature, so i don't think one can be "right" or "wrong" about it. If an action flick set in an Xmas scenario is *your* idea of a Xmas movie, i'm 100% fine with it.

DH is a pretty fun, very well made action movie. Someone thought: "Hey wouldn't it be a good plot if a bunch of terrorists capture a whole business tower but by some freak coincidence, there happens to be a badass ex-cop present to drop a few monkey wrenches in the gears". -"great idea! hey but that won't work, people in other buildings would notice and interfere" --"so what if its Christmas?" -- "great! it givers us a reason why the other office towers are empty and no one notices anything for hours, right? And it also gives us a background plot why the cop is there in the first place" - "cool, and we can also add some human interest "--ex-wive, still in love, kids, etc...".

But the main thing is the action, isn't it?
In DH the Xmas thing is a McGuffin to set up the whole action plot, it serves to give the otherwise pretty unlikely scenario a somewhat believable background. But no one really cares too much about credibility in those kind of pictures, do they. One reason is a good as another.

Last edited:

ivaldo

It's doesn't just happen to be set at Christmas though. The whole reason he is in town is to reunite with his wife/family, which he can do because it's Christmas. The bad guys plan their attack at the Christmas Party. The response to the crisis is a bit belated because it's the holidays... I could go on.
You could, and all of it will be tenuous. The film isn't ABOUT Christmas. Uplift the plot and set it on the 4th July or any other date and it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference. It was considered so much of a Christmas film by all involved that they resolved to release it in July...

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
You could, and all of it will be tenuous. The film isn't ABOUT Christmas. Uplift the plot and set it on the 4th July or any other date and it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference. It was considered so much of a Christmas film by all involved that they resolved to release it in July...
That exact thing could be said for Home Alone, It's A Wonderful Life, Love Actually and many more so-called Christmas Movies that basically don't involve Santa Clause.

The original Miracle on 34th Street was released in June, is that not a Christmas Movie?

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Do those arguing that Die Hard isn't a Christmas movie feel the same about It's a Wonderful Life?

ivaldo

That exact thing could be said for Home Alone, It's A Wonderful Life, Love Actually and many more so-called Christmas Movies that basically don't involve Santa Clause.

The original Miracle on 34th Street was released in June, is that not a Christmas Movie?
I wouldn't be adverse to arguing that point.

We are talking about a film released in 1947. Things have changed since then. The movie was released in June because they didn't know if it was going to be a success, and June had the highest attendance for movie viewings.

So would you say Iron Man 3, Lethal Weapon etc are Christmas films?

Last edited:

ivaldo

Check fecking mate.
Not really. They released it in June because they thought it might not be a success and June had the highest attendance for movie goers at the time. What was the reason for Die Hard to be released in the summer?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Not really. They released it in June because they thought it might not be a success and June had the highest attendance for movie goers at the time. What was the reason for Die Hard to be released in the summer?
Die Hard was released in the summer because that's when blockbusters are released and they thought there was never any way anyone would be stupid enough to not know it was a Christmas movie!

izzydiggler

It’s absolutely a Christmas film - about a man going home to see his family at Christmas, it’s set at a Christmas party, Christmas is mentioned mentioned several times and there are Christmas songs.

But unlike other Christmas films, you can also watch it any time of year because it doesn’t rely on oversentimentallity or Christmas ‘blindness’ to enjoy it, so you can perhaps understand why people don’t associate it with Christmas.

ivaldo

Die Hard was released in the summer because that's when blockbusters are released and they thought there was never any way anyone would be stupid enough to not know it was a Christmas movie!
Only a third of polled people thought so, so fire that market exec, he's a bit thick.
Die Hard, known for it's small budget, didn't think it was right to release it during December, which in modern cinema is a bigger month than June, despite being a Christmas film. Makes perfect sense!

Thunderhead

Supports
City
of course it is, 2nd best Christmas film of all time after Gremlins