Is Diego Simeone the best man to take the club forward?

AKDevil

Not sure his style of football is really the one but the good thing is he has an identity. Something to get behind. Something to expect from his team at kick off. We just don’t know what we are anymore. It’s quite sad to see.

Long Ball

Best manager in the world IMOP. Perfect for us to take over seamlessly from mourinho's style, he's like a more modern and adapted version of Jose. Good at taking an underfunded club with hard working players and abit of stardust far. Makes too much sense for united to go for him lol so won't happen. Plus I think the fans will lay an egg if they don't get some attacking heavy metal

Kapardin

Simeone requires world class forwards who can thrive on scraps, and who have a good defensive workrate as well. The defense such as CBs also needs to be world class. Then his system will work.

I have serious doubts whether he can do it with Lukaku, Martial and Lingard up too and Bailly/Lindelof and Smalling in defense. He might get a tune out of Alexis though, his type of player. But Simeone with our squad could struggle like Jose.

The fact is, defensive football no longer works in the premier league. Conte was the last defensive manager to succeed, and he did so at a time when City were bedding in with Pep and Klopp had too thin a squad to challenge. Think the only defensive manager who can succeed is Allegri as his system is not all out defensive anyway and he's shrewd enough to adapt.

Alabaster Codify7

NO.
I dont want any more defensive managers. Simeone's teams are awful to watch, very efficient and solid yes but boring as feck. We'd have uproar within 5 games.

Skills

Snitch
He's a far, far better manager than Mourinho but it will be soul destroying to see another season of tumescent football. So a no from me.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Let's not kid ourselves, when Jose leaves and takes up another job and that team does well, people will start to understand that it has nothing to do with Jose's quality as a coach. He is still one of the best. The problem was and has always been the players. How can you play a counter attacking game with no wingers or players willing to dribble....without the right personnel in terms of attack, and the lazy players we have had in our squad, in retrospect, Jose never had a chance. Most of the players were the ones who also did not work hard with Van Gaal, in addition you add a guy like Pogba who is known for his lack of defensive activity in midfield, and you have the man utd you see here. Simeone would be no different. Jose's problem at utd has always been his mouth, i want him sacked because of the divisions he causes, his lack of respect for some of the values of the club and the media storm he brings, but when it comes down to it, we have some very lazy players in our squad.
The last two teams Jose has left have gone on to win major trophies the season after he left.

Real won the UCL and Chelsea the league. So maybe Jose himself is a problem.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Please don't get this guy. Sure he instills 'fighting spirit' or something, but he's a cnut and a clown and Atleti are the most unwatchable team in Europe.

Also, he's an underdog type guy not someone for a team that's expected to win stuff.

TheeAma

Supports
Chelsea
Were you saying the same about Hazard et. al. when they downed tools under Mourinho?
Unlike you guys, Jose was in open warfare with the club. Publicly slagging of the physio criticizing an injured player the list goes on and on.

TheeAma

Supports
Chelsea
Pogba showed that in a world cup winning team.

And the videos of him at tournament shows how inspirational he was to that.

They are still fighters within this team. But this management doesn't help one bit.
So he picks when and where he wants to do stuff? Pogba isn't worth the hassle. Kante did most of the heavy lifting. He complains about having to be defensive when that was what France played through out the world cup. He gave a little speech but his performances at the world cup was ok nothing great. At the end of the day United pays him not France. And since he has been back he has been disrespectful to club and manager and think he winning a world cup is enough to make up for his shit performances.

Red_toad

Best manager in the world IMOP. Perfect for us to take over seamlessly from mourinho's style, he's like a more modern and adapted version of Jose. Good at taking an underfunded club with hard working players and abit of stardust far. Makes too much sense for united to go for him lol so won't happen. Plus I think the fans will lay an egg if they don't get some attacking heavy metal
We lack players with the character and determination to play for Jose. Replacing him with someone who demands to same things isn't going to work without major surgery on the squad.
Simeone has Godin and quite a few others who carry out his instructions to the letter and never question his methods. Real leaders and men, who keep everything running as the manager would want. We have so many issues, players who can't be arsed putting in the effort if the team isn't set up to suit them etc...

Greck

Was just surprised at his opinion given that he is a Chelsea fan and I assume he's seen firsthand how bad Mourinho can make his players look.
At least when Jose goes that will be the end of Chelsea fans giving us 'advice' on how the club should be run to suit Jose

Long Ball

We lack players with the character and determination to play for Jose. Replacing him with someone who demands to same things isn't going to work without major surgery on the squad.
Simeone has Godin and quite a few others who carry out his instructions to the letter and never question his methods. Real leaders and men, who keep everything running as the manager would want. We have so many issues, players who can't be arsed putting in the effort if the team isn't set up to suit them etc...
It's a very valid point, I've been a Jose supporter but my confidence is shaken. I'm not at the point of wanting him sacked but I am thinking the devils advocate of what if.

I think he would get more out of the current squad and be tougher (behind the scenes) on those who don't. I could see Herrera recovering his confidence and would run into the ground for him. Pereira, and fred too. Fellaini perhaps but he may be deemed surplus to requirements. Rashford would thrive imop on the counter.

Tbh it's hard to think of manager who would come in and not expect more effort on the pitch for our squad than is currently allowed

Doctor Tornasol

Supports
Football
No. He can't handle making a team play any form -ANY- of decent football and he doesn't care either, he only cares about results. Atleti is boring as feck at any level, and as they don't have the goal to reach excellence, being always considered the underdogs, they can play shit football as long as they keep "fighting" against the giants. It's a match made in heaven thanks to Simeone's background, being a legend for the club. He wouldn't have that ascendancy in a club like United. Simeone doesn't squeeze the players to get the quality within them, he squeeze them to get the soldiers within them.

Eric's Seagull

I think that Diego Simeone could do well here although I have never mentioned him before as I think that it would be very hard to get him as he just signed a new contract in 2017. I admire his team and how well he has done fighting against Barcelona and Real Madrid and the record that his team has in Europe. His team is like he was as a player tough with discipline and he would instill some of this toughness into our game. Although, as his football is not the prettiest at times, even if we did have him I think that there might be some people still criticising our style of play as being too pragmatic. Although I think he would be better than anything we have had the last 6 years. I think if thought that we had a realistic chance of getting him we should go for him. If this was to happen I think then maybe go for Andrea Berta as Director of Football as he has a good rapport with Simeone and I personally think a good relationship between manager and Director of Football is a must, an example of this is when Simeone's relationship with Athletico Chief: Executive Miguel Ángel Gil starting getting strained that Berta was the man who stepped in to diffuse the situation, when it seemed as if it might result in a parting of ways between the club and manager and I think that would be an important quality to have here. Someone who could successful liaise between the Managers and the owners.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Unlike you guys, Jose was in open warfare with the club. Publicly slagging of the physio criticizing an injured player the list goes on and on.
Saying Ed could have got him more players, criticising Shaw, telling fans not to come to tour matches, ongoing saga with Pogba, saying he knew we were in trouble (v Derby) when pens got to Jones, saying the entire team needs to put in more effort/listen to him, criticism of Rashford, criticism of Martial...

... the list goes on and on.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
If I was a Man Utd fan I'd want the club to be doing everything to get him.

Darlington Padgett

His players look ready to kill for him. He's probably a great option but after 5 years of whatever type of football we had I don't think people would love him.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
So he picks when and where he wants to do stuff? Pogba isn't worth the hassle. Kante did most of the heavy lifting. He complains about having to be defensive when that was what France played through out the world cup. He gave a little speech but his performances at the world cup was ok nothing great. At the end of the day United pays him not France. And since he has been back he has been disrespectful to club and manager and think he winning a world cup is enough to make up for his shit performances.
Yeah, I would much rather keep him.

Is this the same Kante was subbed off in the final and yet Pogba still played well? People talk real crap sometimes.

Let me not bother with this. Those who have eyes saw his perfomances at the world cup.

I dont even know why a Chelsea fan is so bothered by his disrespect. Its towards Mourinho mostly, who is hardly respectful himself.

starman

Style is not the issue, its the approach.

Simone does not lambast his players or allow his team to get rolled over, Mourinho once didn't, but hes not the same anymore

Eric's Seagull

Nope for 2 reasons :

1- very defensive. I think it's time for changing the approach.

2- He won't withstand the antics of some of our players and their lax behavior. He'll kill them. Can see him falling with them from the first loss. He wants warriors.
Sometimes warriors don't start off as the warriors. They need to get built into warriors. Not everyone is really strong starting off. Sir Alex left a bit of his mentality rub off on the players, maybe and Simeone could do the same.
Not sure but maybe there is someone out who can I still the warrior's spirit in there team and also get us playing much better quality football.

el3mel

Sometimes warriors don't start off as the warriors. They need to get built into warriors. Not everyone is really strong starting off. Sir Alex left a bit of his mentality rub off on the players, maybe and Simeone could do the same.
Not sure but maybe there is someone out who can I still the warrior's spirit in there team and also get us playing much better quality football.
Disagree. Being a fighter or not is in your personality from the start. You have the will to fight for the team first and have the personality of not caring about not caring about getting yourself dirty in mud for the sake of the team, before the manager can develop it more.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Weird to see all the negativity towards Simeone - I thought most United fans were, or at least used to be, of the opinion that it's first and foremost the results that matter and only then the manner in which they are achieved?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
3 Liverpool fans expressing shock and horror that we don't want another negative defensive manager. Haven't we suffered enough you selfish cnuts.

doomy20

Serious question? I´d go with Jose for another year rather than hiring Simeone. He is Jose 2.0 for me, his style will be outdated soon. I think he works well enough within the Atleti environment but it would be difficult for him dealing with all the arround-stuff at Utd, all the media attention, the pressure, having 6 or 7 direct rivals rather than 2. Nah, he would be a failure.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Weird to see all the negativity towards Simeone - I thought most United fans were, or at least used to be, of the opinion that it's first and foremost the results that matter and only then the manner in which they are achieved?
The caf might paint that picture sometimes when asked but it's not the case.
There's also plenty that will talk about the 'United way' and that wasn't a boring approach.

IrishGlen

I love Simeone to be honest and would welcome him here with open arms. He would obviously be extremely difficult to prise from Atlético. They’ve kept the likes of Griezmann and are backing him in the market. It’s the best squad he’s ever had there and he’s in no rush to leave. I think he will stay at least another 2 years after this season.

Then you have the whole Internazionale point that IF he becomes available then he may very well end up in Milan. Yeah, we’re probably the biggest club in the world and would double his salary however that doesn’t seem to wash with Diego. I think sources close to him say he rejected Chelsea and seems to be open to managing us however the point remains that it would be a bit of a coup if he actually came here.

IF he did come here, he’s quintessentially an improved version of José. He will adapt a negative pragmatic style (potentially worse “on the eyes” for those that value free flowing football). He will guarantee us being competitive for trophies and he would unify the fanbase again. He most certainly wouldn’t be throwing his players under the bus and taking swipes at the board, fans, etc like José has been doing.

The big negative is obviously the style of football. Me personally, I’m results driven and would appoint and get behind a Simeone lead team no problem. It’s all about the trophies and results for me however I couldn’t begrudge any fan that wants to see entertaining football again after the last 5 years.

As for the detractors that say Simeone is an “underdog” style manager and wouldn’t fit this club. Well, it’s been 5 years without a league or CL title and if we’re being honest it could be another 5 years before we enter either competition as a favorite.