Is Diego Simeone the best man to take the club forward?

Nikelesh Reddy

Well he’s certainly attainable since his contract expires in 2020 and according to reliable sources close to him United are the only English club that he would consider managing(he turned down the chance to succeed Conte at Chelsea).Hes 48 and he knows how to reinvigorate a team for a sustained period of time(we should always strive to find a manager who will stay with us for a decade).

He’s a La Liga Champion,he was a whisker away from winning 2 CL titles...What he has managed to do at Athletico is more impressive than what Pochettino has done at Spurs.To make Athletico compete against the big 2 in Spain season after season is a phenomenal achievement...

In my opinion Simeone is the best candidate to succeed Mourinho...Do you guys agree?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Nah, I like him but I would prefer a more attack minded manager. I don't think defense first football works out in the long run and I don't think it really works at any tier one club.

Kapardin

He is a good manager but I'd like some adventure in our play after 4 seasons of crap. Simeone would park the bus against Bournemouth and Cardiff if we hired him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hell no. We need attacking football, plain and simple. Even if a manager is reasonably successful with defensive football, that will only be short lived until we eventually demand attacking football.

No Simeone, no Conte, no Allegri, no more Mourinho.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Umm, LVG to Mourinho was almost like for like in terms of borefest.

You really want more of the same?

cj_sparky

Like for like maybe, but I doubt he will leave Atletico Madrid. But he is another defensive minded coach, the football wouldn't exactly fill United fans with joy.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Even if there is a masterclass defensive manager who could guarantee the silverware i would still go for attacking coach we deserve it after 7years of horshite football

el3mel

Nope for 2 reasons :

1- very defensive. I think it's time for changing the approach.

2- He won't withstand the antics of some of our players and their lax behavior. He'll kill them. Can see him falling with them from the first loss. He wants warriors.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Guess oeople don't want to see United play attacking football again.

Dumbat12

feck NO. Enough with these defensive managers. We need someone whose "philosophy" is to attack.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
There isn't much "going forward" in a Simeone setup.

He would get some discpline into this team and whip it into shape but those hoping for scintillating attacking football would be disappointed.

Nikelesh Reddy

Where are we going to find such an “attacking” manager with pedigree,stature and the experience to manage a club like United?Can we sign Pochettino next summer?I don’t think so,he’s on a 5 year contract....Zidane and Tuchel are far too raw to take over a club in transition...All the top attacking coaches are already at the top clubs...

JoaquinJoaquin

As someone who watches every Atletico game and goes to the Wanda as much as I can, I will tell you right now that if we hired Simeone everyone would hound him after about 3 weeks for his style of football. He like Jose used to be, is very disciplined and plays a defensive style. United fans would hate him. I say this as a huge fan of the guy myself.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
From what I've seen/read of him and his sides, seems to have similar attributes to Jose in terms of "firstly, let's not lose" attitude and quite an authoritarian man management style that needs 100% buy-in or nothing. He may have a better counter attacking ability but the game/player power has moved on and don't think Simeone is the man.

Thought Jardim would be the one... may still be, though Monaco seem to have dipped this season

ice-bionic red

His style is worse than Jose! The next manager needs to play and be known for attacking football!

AlwaysRed66

I cannot think of anyone worse than him. People keep saying how great he is & how is has assembled a good side into a cohesive unit. If that is the case can someone explain to me how last season Man Utd scored 68 goals to 58 for Atletico Madrid in their leagues, whilst Barcelona & Real Madrid scored 99 & 94 respectively. It would make our last three managers seem like the masters of attack.

Andersons Dietician

No thanks, it is impressive what he has done but I don’t think I can handle a like mannered manager to Jose again.

UncleBob

Not entirely sure what to say, if people are sick and tired of Mourinho then i have absolutely no idea why anyone would feel that Simeone should be the next manager.

Reactions: golden_blunder

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Back in my day, the top managers were LVG, Sacchi, Capello and Trapattoni. All of which were hard as nails, who saw themselves as generals on a battlefield with players acting as pawns in a chess game. These days all of them have all but vanished. LVG and Sacchi are considered as a bit of a circus act, with their interviews taken with a pitch (or ten) of salt.

Those who still share this mentality are in a crisis. Conte got sacked, Mou seems losing the dressing room for the third time in a row. SAF noticed the signs early on. He shed away his disciplinary bad loser attitude soon after the treble and focused on improving his soft skills much to the disappointment of Roy Keane who rebelled. These days football is managed by people with great man management skills. Pep, Zidane, Allegri, Klopp and of course Ancelotti.

Diego is the exception of the case but he still manages a smallish club whose hardly renowned for its huge list of WC players.