Is football cancelled for the next week? | Man United-Leeds & Chelsea-Liverpool postponed

Strootman's Finger

Ffs, that’ll be this weekend and next weekends game if it’s 10 days. Our next league game will be City away!
Could really affect our season, kills the momentum we've built up, and if we have a poor result vs City it could send us on a different trajectory.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I think you don’t know how fecking weird most of Britain is then. They vote Tory, after all. There’s currently thousands of people outside royal residencies and this is a Thursday night.

Imagine how it’ll be on a weekend
Unfortunately, I do.

Anyway, I reckon they will go ahead and postpone.

Redfrog

Extended period of mourning? What does that even mean? Does everyone have to be sad for 10 days?
Why they just don’t cancel work and pay everyone off ?
You can work and be sad I suppose but can’t enjoy life a little bit ? That’s bullshit.

Stadjer

It didn’t get cancelled when her dad King George died. But yeah it’ll be 10 days of mourning with no sporting events.
The whole monarchy is based on traditions and now they break with what happened when her father died? To take one from the book of monarchists, traditions are important and need to be upheld!

Member 125398

They want us all to stay at home while they activate the 5g towers:o

Hulme91

Is the Royal family going to pay for my 2 x flights , 2 x accommodation and 2 x match tickets for Leeds game ?
No, but now you know you run the risk of this happening if you support a football club that operates in a Monarchy
At the current rate you should be good for next 30 years or so

wangyu

A minute of silence and a rendition of the national anthem should be more than enough if you ask me.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
They’d be better to let the games go ahead with a minutes silence.

From a PR POV it seems in the current climate wiser to celebrate her reign rather than wallow and link it to people being even more pissed off than they already are.

Redfrog

TheQueen is dead, long live the king.

Life is life, they should just get on with it and not react like children.
Put everything on hold like there is no tomorrow for an one hundred old women (may she rest in peace) is juste ridiculous. It like lockdown wasn’t enough.

BuzzKillington

I feel for her family and she seemed like a genuinely nice lady in her later years, it must be very sad if youre into this kind of thing.

But if the complete grief fest we had following the death of Prince Phillip is anything to go by, then I think I may just try and induce a coma and skip the next two weeks of life. When Philip went it was almost a whole week of sad music on the radio and it was all anybody fecking talked about.

Please don’t let them cancel the football, for feck sake.

kaku06

Serie A and Bundesliga here i come.
Just watch Serie a, it’s been amazing this season. So many teams into the mix. Scrap that German 1 + 17 league. It’s one of the most awful leagues to watch unless you want to see how great Timo Werner is.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Do we not just get her funeral day of work as an extra bank holiday?
What I read (and I might be completely wrong) is that the funeral would be a day of mourning, but if it fell on a weekend or pre-arranged bank holiday there would be no additional day planned. It also said the funeral would be 10 days after she died, which in this case would be a Sunday.

It also said that a day off wouldn't be enforced, so your employer can still get you working.

Time to start playing up my nationalism at work.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
If England win this coming World Cup "for the queen", I can think we can safely cancel football at that point because that would be the only way we'd ever hear the end of it.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
United were due to play Newcastle on the Sunday I think she passed away Saturday night / Sunday morning
There were definitely matches on the weekend of Diana's death. I know this because an Arsenal player hit the woodwork at some point in their match, leading to a few jokes in the school playground.

Hopefully the football isn’t cancelled. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was.

Respect on one side, but the policing of the games when the coppers May be required to supervise memorial gatherings could be the ultimate issue.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
Could really affect our season, kills the momentum we've built up, and if we have a poor result vs City it could send us on a different trajectory.
Good for Graham Potter at Chelsea though, like a mini-preseason for him to assess the problems there.

Member 125398

Looking at the positives, 2 weeks intensive tactical training.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
They genuinely can't afford to postpone these games. It's already congested as feck now. If they really must, then postpone the weekend's games, then move on.

Knightmare7

No, but now you know you run the risk of this happening if you support a football club that operates in a Monarchy
At the current rate you should be good for next 30 years or so
You're taking the over on Charles then, I take it? Brave indeed