Is football cancelled for the next week? | Man United-Leeds & Chelsea-Liverpool postponed

cyberman

Some of the posts on here are an utter disgrace.
Obviously no idea about history, respect or have any brains.

I hope the mods come down hard on them but no doubt they’ll give a warning and let these idiots post again
Again, Irish forum. Why would we want the games postponed or care beyond a cursory RIP?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
@Klopper76 made that joke earlier, little wry smile from me.
Before I knew she'd passed tbf. Football's irrelevant when something like this happens.

I did wonder if they'd let it go ahead to allow fans to mourn up and down the country but probably not?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Would be dumb. The vast majority involved in the premier league don't give a feck (many owners, coaches, players, fans).

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Canceling is very OD.

She died I’m sorry for the loss but everyone dies. Carry on with the games, wear an armband, due some minuted if silence, whatever you want to do to pay your respects but cancelling games makes no sense.

This loss does not affect an overwhelming majority of people.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Before I knew she'd passed tbf. Football's irrelevant when something like this happens.

I did wonder if they'd let it go ahead to allow fans to mourn up and down the country but probably not?
The whole "let them mourn" thing is kind of dumb. It's not family. It's a random person who people won't really think about 1 hour later because this person had nothing to do with their lives. They won't be sitting there crying an hour later let alone days later or for 10 days.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Will there still be like football podcasts coming out and stuff?

EDIT- Like the football ramble, will the Guardian put the breaks on it for 10 days?

BerryBerryShrew

Would be dumb. The vast majority involved in the premier league don't give a feck (many owners, coaches, players, fans).
It would be immensely stupid but understandable if there was precedent for this but if it's true that the footy wasn't cancelled when previous monarchs died then it would be infuriating to cancel the games now (especially given that nobody gives a flying feck about the monarchy these days compared to 70 years ago).

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

Actually I interpreted because you're Liverpool and you're having a terrible time so thought it was a funny jibe given all the 19/20 covid stuff to deny Liverpool winning the league etc

I'm giving you credit for comic wit by mistake seemingly!

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Canceling is very OD.

She died I’m sorry for the loss but everyone dies. Carry on with the games, wear an armband, due some minuted if silence, whatever you want to do to pay your respects but cancelling games makes no sense.

This loss does not affect an overwhelming majority of people.
That live in Portugal, I agree but your on a English team's fan forum and the British Monarch has just died.
Maybe read the room mate

estel_manutd

Allowing individuals to rule, even nominally, over a population on the basis of bloodline is something I'll never understand. Putting a stop to sports in response to the death of said nominal head of state is just ridiculous.

zaafi

Did anybody mention England are not North Korea yet? Ridiculous that football should be cancelled because an old person died. People have booked flights, hotels and are looking forward to it and not have their money wasted.

NewYorkRed

I mean it makes 0 sense but I’m not British. Do people really care that much? Its just an old person who gets called a fancy title.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
The whole "let them mourn" thing is kind of dumb. It's not family. It's a random person who people won't really think about 1 hour later because this person had nothing to do with their lives. They won't be sitting there crying an hour later let alone days later or for 10 days.
We all know football fans are a sensitive bunch. Expect tears for weeks. I've been crying all season long in preparation for this moment.
Actually I interpreted because you're Liverpool and you're having a terrible time so thought it was a funny jibe given all the 19/20 covid stuff to deny Liverpool winning the league etc

I'm giving you credit for comic wit by mistake seemingly!
Well I was going for that but didn't want to be too insensitive.

Rex Banner

I can definitely see it happening but I don't think it should. We're gonna be bombarded enough as it is over the next month or so. The whole of the country shouldn't have to revolve around one person dying.

0le

I mean it makes 0 sense but I’m not British. Do people really care that much? Its just an old person who gets called a fancy title.
Do people really care about football? It is just a few geezers kicking around a ball.

matt10000

I am no Royalist but having The Queen as head of state has been worth it just to stop Tony Blair from being President.
RIP

NewYorkRed

Do people really care about football? It is just a few geezers kicking around a ball.
What a weird response. My question was heartfelt, I’m not from England, I thought she was just a symbolic figure hence the question. I can’t imagine liking or mourning someone who claims to be my king or queen but again I feel like this is a cultural thing and she did just die so I’m going to respectfully not comment on this clearly sensistive issue.

Josep Dowling

No the majority of us don’t care but the media will portray that we do and we are forced into mourning. When Prince Phillip died TV Channels 1 to 5 were all playing the same thing about his life. I can only imagine it will be 10 times worse for the actual Queen (check out the BBC Sports page as an example).

I have nothing against her, may she RIP, but ultimately the world moves on. She was 96, had a fantastic life, with absolutely nothing to worry about for the entirety of it. I find it strange that people mourn someone they don’t even know .

Rex Banner

I'd bet there's a good portion of people who care a hell of a lot more about football than they do the Queen.

Surely you can still play football whilst paying respect? I don't understand why the two have to be mutually exclusive.

cyberman

Being a lil pedantic here are we not?
No I’m really not. It’s forgotten about when posters make assumptions we should be all grieving and agreeing football etc should be postponed when this monarch nonsense doesn’t make a bit of sense to us. It was the same when the English fans were shocked the majority of us wanted England to lose last summer in the Euros.
Theres as many, if not more, foreign United fans on here as English. To expect reverence for the monarchy is idiotic. This is how the wider world is discussing her death.