Is football cancelled for the next week? | Man United-Leeds & Chelsea-Liverpool postponed

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
I feel that enforced sadness for a lost leader is appropriate as it's the year 1143AD. OH WAIT NO IT ISN'T.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Thanks, but seriously they can feck off if they cancel it again. A one off postponement in these circumstances is a begrudging but understandable 'ok, fine, whatever!' but two weeks is just nauseating.
Just try not to think about the fact we're then into 2 weeks of no prem games for the international break.
Try not to think about it pal.

Barthez

Probably best now to cancel until after the funeral so everyone who wants to can continue to mourn and resources can be better deployed. Especially in London where there will be security and policing rehearsals. Football will return and quite rightly too but let’s not rush it. This event is the biggest we’ll ever witness in our life times so I am happy to just go with the flow. Football will always be here, the week and days ahead will be a very precious time.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Probably best now to cancel until after the funeral so everyone who wants to can continue to mourn and resources can be better deployed. Especially in London where there will be security and policing rehearsals. Football will return and quite rightly too but let’s not rush it. This event is the biggest we’ll ever witness in our life times so I am happy to just go with the flow. Football will always be here, the week and days ahead will be a very precious time.
Why though? All other sports have continued so why should football be any different? Funeral is on a monday so fair enough cancel any fixtures due that day but no reason not to play those at the weekend. Football unlike other sports has a World Cup in the middle of the season as well so there is simply not enough time in the schedule to play all the games required for the season without having more delays.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Is this a piss take?

RedDevilQuebecois

Honestly, they picked the wrong weekend to postpone matches considering the schedule for the mourning period. I can perfectly understand if they cancelled next weekend's fixtures in order to coordinate all police forces for VIP protection and security measures before and during the funeral in London, but the Premier League have created a huge problem for everyone.

Flying_Heckfish

Nah, you're alright. All matches should go ahead. If you want to mourn, BBC has plenty of coverage for you.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I wonder if in the near future this monarchy BS will soon become extinct?
It won't because whilst a lot of British people know that the monarchy is nonsense; they equally abhor the idea of a President Blair, Brown, May, Cameron, Johnson etc.

Chief123

Some people, myself included are indeed in mourning. That could also include many other people that make up, and are required to put on an event or sports match. Just let people deal with it. I’m sure we can all forgo football for a while. I’m astonished to be perfectly honest how some of you manage to get through a summer. I love the game and United as much as anyone but I also love my country, the monarchy and its history. All will be well in time.
God save the King.
If you want to mourn, good on you. You don’t want to watch football while you mourn, your choice.

The ones who don’t want to mourn or quite frankly couldn’t care less shouldn’t suddenly be deprived of something which is part of many peoples daily lives. Don’t force shit on people that they don’t give a crap about.

Pearl.Jam

Are you fvcking serious? The biggest event in our lifetime? I’m not even sure where to begin with how out of touch this post is

Chief123

I’m sure there were many people who were just “tolerant” of the Queen and the monarchy’s existence. Didn’t have any love, care or hate for them. But the monarchy has done a great job of bringing fresh hate to the table with these nonsense cancellations.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Are you fvcking serious? The biggest event in our lifetime? I’m not even sure where to begin with how out of touch this post is
I mean the post you quoted is a lot of nonsense, but from a security and logistics point of view, the funeral will be up there with the biggest events

Chief123

Bollocks. Speak for yourself mate.

The event will be on par with Eurovision Song Contest for me.

There’s currently over 30 million people displaced in Pakistan and left homeless after one third of the country (equivalent to the size of the U.K.) is completely flooded happening right now which is a much bigger event in your lifetime than a 96 year old granny dying.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Bollocks. Speak for yourself mate.

The event will be on par with Eurovision Song Contest for me.

There’s currently over 30 million people displaced in Pakistan and left homeless after one third of the country (equivalent to the size of the U.K.) is completely flooded happening right now which is a much bigger event in your lifetime than a 96 year old granny dying.
Ahmm I watched Eurovision for the first time this year and I kinda enjoyed it. Chanel was robbed but other than that it was alright. :nervous:

Lecland07

I’m sure there were many people who were just “tolerant” of the Queen and the monarchy’s existence. Didn’t have any love, care or hate for them. But the monarchy has done a great job of bringing fresh hate to the table with these nonsense cancellations.
Meh - people will forget football was even cancelled when it is back. People need to chill out.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I'm sure the players will welcome the break. What with the insane fixture congestion already this season.

Bit annoying there's no English football, but other leagues and sports are on. The outrage is a bit meh. It'll be back shortly.

TheReligion

Abusive
I can't list all major events and put them into a cancel football or not category.

But I'd ask does the football need to be cancelled in a practical sense and does cancelling it help in an emotional sense.

The answer to both questions in this instance is no. I can't imagine there are large numbers of people thinking today's football was stopping them mourning and refelcting.

In Liverpool a child got murdered in their own home couple of weeks ago. On a national level nothing was altered or changed.

I think we need to start asking why we attach so much importance to some things and not others. In essence we need to grow up as a nation.
:lol:

lex talionis

It's changing, but currently cricket crowds still act with more decorum than football crowds. (Also, that's the English national team playing - they embody the country in a way that club teams can't.) This probably depends upon how you define respect, but what shows the greatest respect: abandoning play for the day, or fitting-in a quick minute of silence before the start of a match, and then getting back to the business of barracking the opposing team's millionaires and calling the VAR official a w****r? Thinking about it, there's much to football that's ceremonial, like the protocols of royal life. If people are keen to do away the latter, maybe some of the former, like pre-match team parades and anthems and trophies and medals can also be got rid of?
The rowdy atmosphere wouldn't be abandoned for the day, but the sight of 30,000 fans in attendance giving The Queen 2-3 minutes of silence (surely it would have been more than one) around the country that she earned over a lifetime of unending service to her subjects would be a glorious sight, and I believe she would have been pleased to see the country get on with it. It's not as though the ceremonies that are soon to follow over the next week would have been abandoned.

In any event, the decision has been made and we would all do well to reflect on a life well lived.

Red00012

:lol: Feck me what is this

Herman Toothrot

London games most at risk.
I'm pretty certain there are so many events happening across London every weekend that they can handle this. Football is, generally, a lot lower maintenance than it was and I can't see everyone kicking off right now. That said, England's most iconic crowds of the past two years have included violence at a final on home soil and our figurehead is a man with a flair up his arse. I assume they mostly support lower league sides.

Wilt

Imagine the FA wouldn’t be able control the predictable booing and jeering by the minority during minutes silence for the late Queen is probably the reason they cancelled the football.

The backlash would be more than the FA could handle.

Remember the geese

No thank you.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
oh dear

Infra-red

Member 125398

Imagine the FA wouldn’t be able control the predictable booing and jeering by the minority during minutes silence for the late Queen is probably the reason they cancelled the football.

The backlash would be more than the FA could handle.
Absolutely zero chance that would've happened.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Is this a piss take?
Haha that’s what I was going to say, surely that post can’t be serious. I’ve got nothing against the queen or royals, queen was actually maybe most likeable one, but seriously - weeks of enforced mourning - feck off.

Member 125398

You’re saying nobody would have booed or jeered?
Absolutely. There's been plenty of different views discussed online but that's quite appropriate as there's the opportunity for discussion and revision of those views. Football fans aren't animals.

Wilt

Absolutely. There's been plenty of different views discussed online but that's quite appropriate as there's the opportunity for discussion and revision of those views. Football fans aren't animals.
You’re joking? Have you actually read any of the posts regarding QE2 on here?

Of course the moron element would boo ….Christ they boo anything.

Member 125398

You’re joking? Have you actually read any of the posts regarding QE2 on here?

Of course the moron element would boo ….Christ they boo anything.
I've already addressed that but I think you're struggling to seperate the internet from real life. Football fans observe minute silences impeccably very regularly. You can be a decent person and not like the monarchy.